• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TV advert reminiscences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I disliked the way that, long after my time, Weetabix introduced a character that appeared to resemble a 1970s ‘bovver boy’. What an inspiration to children!
Your mention of "bovver" above woke up some of my "little grey cells".....

"It's a lot less bovver with a hover".... No idea what make of mower was being advertised, but the catch phrase must have stuck in my memory.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Your mention of "bovver" above woke up some of my "little grey cells".....

"It's a lot less bovver with a hover".... No idea what make of mower was being advertised, but the catch phrase must have stuck in my memory.
It was Qualcast, and it was a "A lot less bovver than a hover." (clip below)

(I've no idea how I manage to remember useless stuff like this!)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It was Qualcast, and it was a "A lot less bovver than a hover." (clip below)

(I've no idea how I manage to remember useless stuff like this!)
Thanks for the word correction. Some adverts park themselves at the back of your mind and hibernate until some chance comment brings them back to life.....or is this "par for the course" now I have reached the ripe old age of 76... :oops:

Spamcan81

Of course
“Opal Fruits… made to make your mouth water”
Was coined by Murray Walker no less in a former job.
He also had a hand in
“A Mars a day helps you work rest and play.”
My favourite though is a seemingly genuine Scottish crofter advertising Pedigree Chum…
“It does not run all over the place like some stuff you can purchase” delivered with particular force and stress on the “purchase” with a broad Scottish accent.
Never met anyone who remembers it but me

Remember it well. Purloined by me and some mates as an addendum to all manner of other adverts etc.

Sugar Puffs and the Honey Monster. "Don't tell 'em about the honey Mummy".

British Gas advert, "Cook, cook, cookability. That's the beauty of gas".

And this great ad for Banks's Mild.

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm enjoying this thread :)

Here are a couple more clips:

Castrol GTX:

Honda:

I thought the Honda advert was superb, and I was even more amazed when I discovered that it was all "proper" animation, and not your modern new-fangled CGI stuff.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yep! Have to admit as soon as I posted it that is exactly what it brought to mind! Slivers of Opal Fruits hanging out of the fuel tank..
"Cheesoid hate self. Why Cheesoid exist?" :lol: :lol::lol:

Back on topic vaguely, Mitchell and Webb's skewering of advertising in general in their sketch show (the Toothpaste meeting for example) doesn't quite have the same bite when both of them (particularly David Mitchell) have done voice-over work for adverts in the years since. :rolleyes:

Gloster

Established Member
One 1960s or 1970s advert that came to mind today was for Spanish wine. ‘Don Cortez, always on the bottle.’

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Those Ferrero Rocher ads suggesting the overpriced gunk is somehow luxurious, but they seemed to work: ditto After Eight mints.

Ediswan

Established Member
"The future's bright, the future's Orange"
Unfortunate timing with the product name. Search engines were just getting going. "Mobile phone orange" just got results for Orange County USA. If you wanted the UK, you had to search for 'Hutchison'.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The Old Spice advert with the rolling waves and classical music/operatics always brings back memories. Talking of aftershave the 'Splash It All Over' Brut advert with Henry Cooper.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
"The future's bright, the future's Orange"
Bus operator Transdev has played on that one for their newly acquired West Yorkshire operations... in a dig at the previous operator Yorkshire Tiger whose buses were bright orange, their leaflets boast "The future's bright, the future's pink!"

Master Cutler

The Guinness adverts were alway great to watch, until they changed agency in the 80s I think and introduced a complete flop in the form of The "Guinnless" adverts. They soon changed back to their traditional format thank goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.