• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TV advert reminiscences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
"Go to work on an egg" is one that I have just remembered.

"A million housewives, every day,
Pick up a tin of beans and say,
Beanz Meanz Heinz"

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
And we all remember how:

A million schoolboys every day,
Look at a tin of beans and say,
Beanz Meanz F***z

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I recall (on ITV Central) that the Slade frontman Noddy Holder appeared in a Banks's TV ad (both Banks's and Slade were from Wolverhampton).

I remember it ended with Noddy saying the phrase "In no time you will be steaming" with steam coming out of his ears.

Butts

Veteran Member
"Hello Boys.....Wonderbra Adverts " or were they only on hoardings ?

Older members will remember Playtex "Cross your Heart" adds !!

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I also liked the music for the Lucozade advert featuring Daley Thompson,it was the intro from Phantom of the Opera by Iron Maiden.

Typhoon

Established Member
'Fresh as the moment when the pod went pop' - mainly for making the 'pop' with forefinger in mouth.

Alan Freeman and his so-enthusiastic promotion of rubbish (especially Brentford Nylons - right).

The Daz doorstep challenge with Danny Baker.

One of the soap powder ads used to put the advertised brand against Brand X. I can't remember which.

Ted Moult and his feather test for Everest.

Frosties - they're G-r-r-r-r-e-a-t-t with Tony the Tiger (they're corn flakes with sugar on top)

Ricicles are Twicicles as Nicicles (no, they are Rice Krispies with sugar on top). I think Noddy was on the box.

Gibbs SR - tingling fresh (tube surrounded by ice)

Ostrich

Al (Johnny Vegas) and Monkey. Best remembered for PG Tips; I loved the "EAGLE!" advert :lol: - I think we've still got a couple of the promo Monkey soft toys around somewhere ....

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
One that I remember from my childhood was a advert for Knorr stock cubes - "Pea and ham from a chicken? Now that's clever!" (clip below)

The exile

Established Member
Anyone from north of the border remember the TSB Scotland ad that included the wonderful line (which I can't deliver in the appropriate accent) "There's been an atom bomb fell on Paisley - so the buses have been off all week"?
The scenario was the weekly family catch up call, where remarkable items of news were given and received dead-pan with no reaction - until you got to the "and did you know there's a bank that [will do something remarkable that I've completely forgotten]"

Shows the downside of memorable adverts - that sentence has stuck for 35 years, but I can't really remember which bank it was, or what their USP was!

PCOEvs

I always remember the group of workmen in the back of the transit van singing "will it be mushrooms, fried onion rings, just have to wait and see. we hope it's chips, it's chips". Was for the Birds eye beef burger shaped like a steak.

Essan

Paul "Crocodile Dundee" Hogan advertising Fosters Lager. Usually involving him misunderstanding/taking the mickey out of some aspect of English culture. One had him watching Morris dancing outside a pub .... "Which one's Maurice?"

And at one time, the Heineken "refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach" adverts were quite an event. The Boomerang advert (below) was 90 seconds long in total (usually spread over several episodes through the evening)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I always remember the group of workmen in the back of the transit van singing "will it be mushrooms, fried onion rings, just have to wait and see. we hope it's chips, it's chips". Was for the Birds eye beef burger shaped like a steak.
I remember that one well, but it would be struck down by the health police these days :) (clip below)

The Yellow Pages adverts from the 80s were fairly memorable with the "JR Hartley" one probably sticking in people's minds, but it was the one featuring the young lad phoning around for his dad's birthday present that I remember the most.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Mention of beer reminds me of
John Smiths with Arkwright and his dog, Courage Best with Chas & Dave, Hofmeister and follow the bear and for spirits the Gordons Gin advert with the theme later covered by the Human League.

Gloster

Established Member
Scotch blank video tapes with the skeleton set to the Rolling Stones' "Not Fade Away".

The line was: "Re-record not fade away".
It is the voice that I remember: Deryck Guyler is supposed to have been the first person allowed to speak in a regional accent on BBC radio.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Has anyone mentioned the classic . . . .

- Dvorak's New World Symphony playing in the background.
- Steep cobble-stoned village street.
- Lad with oversized flat cap pushing delivery bike up said hill.

Hovis.... as good for you today as it's always been.

A few years later, the Two Ronnies had their own take on it:-

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Yellow Pages adverts from the 80s were fairly memorable with the "JR Hartley" one probably sticking in people's minds, but it was the one featuring the young lad phoning around for his dad's birthday present that I remember the most.

Also the post party one where the bloke clears up and finds a scratch on his parents antique table.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Does anyone remember a fat member of the bird family called Buzby that was used in telephone adverts in the 1970s?
I only vaguely recall the adverts, but I do remember the Buzby character, and I'm fairly sure I had a couple of books in which he featured; they were a similar format to the Mr Men books (Little Miss wasn't around at the time).

Status
Not open for further replies.