• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TV advert reminiscences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Another one from the 1980s period that has just surfaced from the deepest depths of my memory....

"Say hello, hello, to Pillsley dough"
It was Pillsbury Dough, wasn't it? And I believe the jingle was... "Say hello to Poppin' Fresh Dough!"

birchesgreen

Established Member
Not for a long long time, although they did re-use that advert after they'd switched to just being "Carling". Funnily enough, my German school exchange partner saw that ad while over here and thought it was hilarious.
Didn't they change from Black Label to Carling Premier as a tie-in with the launch of the premier league? I may be mis-remembering though...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Didn't they change from Black Label to Carling Premier as a tie-in with the launch of the premier league? I may be mis-remembering though...
Not sure of the timeline but the name "Carling Black Label" feels like something from waaaay back in the mists of time to me... although I still hear it being sung by a deep baritone in my head, like in the even earlier adverts!

By the time I was able to get served in pubs (late 1997ish) it was definitely just Carling (in my defence it was cheap and I was 15 ;) ). I thought "Carling Premier" was an attempt at a premium version á la Carlsberg Export, but that might be me mis-remembering!

Butts

Veteran Member
"John Collier John Collier the window to watch"

"You're at your best when your Willerby dressed"

Any old hands remember those two ?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
"John Collier John Collier the window to watch"

"You're at your best when your Willerby dressed"

Any old hands remember those two ?
The John Collier (mens clothing) ad almost certainly pre-dates the mid 1980's when the business was sold on to the Burton Group and the brand discontinued.

Never heard of the other business.

Butts

Veteran Member
The John Collier (mens clothing) ad almost certainly pre-dates the mid 1980's when the business was sold on to the Burton Group and the brand discontinued.

Never heard of the other business.

You are obviously to young :E

Did Hepworths have a jingle another old British Brand / Shop ?

Jimini

Established Member
Not sure of the timeline but the name "Carling Black Label" feels like something from waaaay back in the mists of time to me... although I still hear it being sung by a deep baritone in my head, like in the even earlier adverts!

By the time I was able to get served in pubs (late 1997ish) it was definitely just Carling (in my defence it was cheap and I was 15 ;) ). I thought "Carling Premier" was an attempt at a premium version á la Carlsberg Export, but that might be me mis-remembering!

I remember Carling Premier from back in 2000 -- it was a 'smoothflow' lager, had a similar tap that you'd get on a John Smiths pump to give it the frothy / creamy look and taste, and tasted as rank as regular Carling!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I remember Carling Premier from back in 2000 -- it was a 'smoothflow' lager, had a similar tap that you'd get on a John Smiths pump to give it the frothy / creamy look and taste, and tasted as rank as regular Carling!
Is it possible that the Carling product was more to the taste buds of those in the Ontario region where Carling originated?

Gloster

Established Member
I can remember, back in the black and white era, the Watneys Red Barrel ‘Red Revolution’ adverts, which had a Chairman Mao lookalike pretending to drink a pint. It would probably cause a diplomatic incident nowadays, what with Mao being a devotee of brown ale.

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This isn't really reminiscing as it's a current advert, but perhaps will be in a similar thread in future: the Avanti West Coast advert featuring the tortoise on roller skates. I love it, particularly when the tortoise turns to the camera and grins at the end! (Clip below)

There is much potential for a spoof version. :)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
This isn't really reminiscing as it's a current advert, but perhaps will be in a similar thread in future: the Avanti West Coast advert featuring the tortoise on roller skates. I love it, particularly when the tortoise turns to the camera and grins at the end! (Clip below)

There is much potential for a spoof version. :)
Watch it carefully and the tortoise tilts when it goes round corners... I asked Avanti about that in a tweet, and it is a deliberate nod to the 390s.

Acey

Double Diamond works wonders ,works wonders
I'll risk it for a Swisskit ( loved them)
Saint Bruno Flake

Acey

Not sure if they were regional but doubt it cos they had a big TV advertising campaign for a while ,they were a chocolate covered muesli bars,they obviously didn't appeal to a lot of folk cos they were discontinued ,much to my chagrin !

Ediswan

Established Member
Not sure if they were regional but doubt it cos they had a big TV advertising campaign for a while
Regional TV advertising was available from the outset of commercial TV. What is now ITV started out as a collection of regional companies. With a lot of national campaigns of course.

Acey

Regional TV advertising was available from the outset of commercial TV. What is now ITV started out as a collection of regional companies. With a lot of national campaigns of course.
Of course ,senior moment !

nlogax

Established Member
Does anybody remember an advert for Ford Motor Cars that seemed to last for about 5 mins or did I dream it?
In the early 90s there was a multi-minute Ford ad, effectively a promo vid for their entire range set to Brian May's 'Driven by You'. Terrible piece of music, though tbf I could never stand Queen either. Am sure it's on YT somewhere.

Butts

Veteran Member
In the early 90s there was a multi-minute Ford ad, effectively a promo vid for their entire range set to Brian May's 'Driven by You'. Terrible piece of music, though tbf I could never stand Queen either. Am sure it's on YT somewhere.

"Ford gives you more" springs to mind and a lot more by the sound of the advert !!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I recall from when I was younger that there was a particular Scottish brewer that was celebrating its 100th anniversary, and not long after "the bells" there was quite a lengthy advert that was aired and seemed to last for quite a long time. The advert was run for a good while, but I only ever remember seeing the full-length version once. Rather like the Avanti ad that I posted earlier on, once they've been seen a certain number of times the adverts seem to get shorter and shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.