• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two old lamps - are they railway signal lamps or train lanterns of some sort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethel

I have these two very rusty old lanterns with no identifying marks. Can anyone help me identify them? ThanksIMG_20210701_151345533.jpgIMG_20210701_151325844.jpgIMG_20210701_151253457.jpgIMG_20210701_151304398.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
I've not seen any railway signal lamps of either type before. A couple of questions:
(a) Is the first lamp lit by a candle contained within the spigot? Or is that an oil reservoir?
(b) with the second lamp, what is the colour of the filter and, again, how is that one lit?

gg1

Established Member
The long stems on the bottom make me think of the lamps fitted to horse drawn carriages rather than ones used on trains.

bishdunster

Yes they are "carriage" lamps, as in horse drawn rather than railway carriages, although there is just a slim chance they could have been used on a railway owned horse drawn delivery wagon. ;)

ethel

Thanks. I think you're probably right with carriage lamps.

MP33

Rod Hull and Emu in one of their shows took a party of children around a stately home. Rod Hull told the children it was the seat of Baron Rutland. He picked up a old parafin lamp and said look Baron Rutland has put his intials on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.