• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two Sussex Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
Morning all,

I've been asked by a friend a couple of questions about two Sussex locations.

1. When was the line, (Eastbourne avoider) the spur that meant you didn't have to go into and out of Eastbourne to get to Hastings, decommissioned and when was it lifted?

2. The Dyke Branch. He has said that line was out of use at the end of 1938 but there were rumours that it was in use (possible storing stock) during WWII. So when was the track actually lifted?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steamybrian

Established Member
From my information..

1. The Eastbourne avoiding line (Polegate to Stone Cross Junction) was closed as a through route around 1969. For some years one track was used occasionally as a siding from the Stone Cross Junction end. This was then completely abandoned in preparation to build the A22 relief road into Eastbourne.

2. The Dyke Branch was closed at the end of 1938 and my records state the track was removed soon after. I have not seen any record of stock being stored on the line during WW11. I have read that immediate post WW11 that many of the cuttings were infilled with concrete wartime defences causing buildings to subside which were built on top of the infill.
Maybe you are getting mixed up with the Kemp Town branch which was used during WW11 for storing stock and ideal for using the long tunnel.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Morning all,

I've been asked by a friend a couple of questions about two Sussex locations.

1. When was the line, (Eastbourne avoider) the spur that meant you didn't have to go into and out of Eastbourne to get to Hastings, decommissioned and when was it lifted?

2. The Dyke Branch. He has said that line was out of use at the end of 1938 but there were rumours that it was in use (possible storing stock) during WWII. So when was the track actually lifted?

Thanks in advance.
I see there has been a thread on the Eastbourne avoider before but does not seem to mention dates.

I walked along it in the early 80s (maybe 1981?) and the ballast seemed quite fresh as I recall, so maybe the lifting had not been too many years before (1970s sometime?) - old timetables may show when passenger services last used it for a direct service - 60s I'm guessing, but I suspect it was used for ECS or freight for a bit after that. I suspect the answer is probably in Middleton Press Brighton to Eastbourne book.

No ideas in Dyke branch.

Both interesting questions

EDIT - just read the 2 interesting posts above as cross posted.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I suspect the answer is probably in Middleton Press Brighton to Eastbourne book.
Middleton Press has the direct route to Hastings as officially closed on 6th January 1969 and the up line lifted soon after.

The down line was retained and used occasionally by works trains.

The junction at Polegate was then removed in 1974, the line remaining as a mile long engineer's siding, with access from the east end only (Stone Cross Junction), until lifted in August 1984.

Hope that helps.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Middleton Press has the direct route to Hastings as officially closed on 6th January 1969 and the up line lifted soon after.

The down line was retained and used occasionally.

The junction at Polegate was then removed in 1974, the line remaining as a mile long engineer's siding, with access from the east end only (Stone Cross Junction), until lifted in August 1984.

Hope that helps.
Interesting - it's poss I walked it later than I though - eg in 84, hence the fresher looking ballast if at least part of it had been removed recently before - and that stuck in my memory.

I wonder then the last scheduled passenger services ran over it? As late as 1968?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
"Railways of Britain - Kent and Sussex" (2007) by Colin and David McCarthy, has the date of severing the junction towards Hastings, at the Polegate end, as 8th September 1974.

Gloster

Established Member
Volume 4 of the Signal Box Register (Signalling Record Society, 2009) has Polegate East Junction-Stone Cross Junction closing 6 January 1969. Polegate East Junction Signal Box closed on 16 December 1973 and Stone Cross Junction Box with the line on 6 January 1969; it is always possible that a Ground Frame was installed at Stone Cross Junction. I have found a separate reference saying that the line was not lifted until 1984.

Dyke Junction Signal Box was closed on 16 April 1939.

bassmike

On Moderation
Surely this track-bed should be retained---- it's an obvious case that it might be needed for a direct route in the future ,not completely obliterated by buildings etc:--but then this is the short-term lack of vision prevalent in the 50/60's by jobsworths in bowler hats and wire-rimmed specs: which often still rears it's ugly head today!

Veteran Member
Surely this track-bed should be retained---- it's an obvious case that it might be needed for a direct route in the future ,not completely obliterated by buildings etc:--but then this is the short-term lack of vision prevalent in the 50/60's by jobsworths in bowler hats and wire-rimmed specs: which often still rears it's ugly head today!
The line lost its purpose in the mid 30s when the Southern decided that virtually all services should go in and out of Eastbourne (bar a few summer Saturday extras). However, the trackbed is more-or-less unbuilt-on, so your wish has been fulfilled, and in the (highly unlikely IMO) event of a major change in travel patterns, the cut-off could be restored.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
When the narrow bodied thumpers were becoming life expired in the 1980's, I believe there was a bit of a question mark over whether Tunbridge Wells Central - Bo-Peep junction would be retained (fortunately it was). Had it not have been, I wonder whether this link would have been reinstated as a direct London - Hastings route ?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Very short video footage of the last day of operation of the Dyke branch, presumably 31st December 1938.

(Film footage from January 1939 shows Train driver, Signalman and Station Master Mr Charles John Weller hooking up a train on the famous baby railway known as the Devil Dyke Baby Railway. The commentator says it is making its last journey as it is to be replaced by a bus service).

Most sources state that the Dyke track was lifted soon after closure, and have also seen a suggestion that a building adjacent to the former Dyke station at the terminus was used as target practice during WW2.

Status
Not open for further replies.