• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro recruiting new trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Owen2323

I took the tests in April 2017 so a lot of this is from memory but what I'd say is read through the practice material as although the practice examples are different the descriptions of the tests are fairly accurate as to what will happen on the day. If you've read about it on here you'll be fairly well prepared. These are my recollections but it is from a couple of years back. There's group bourdon papers available on here to print off and practice rather than the letters they give you on the practice material.
As I say the group bourdon is well known so the others are:
TEA-occ paper test is exactly as described in the practice material like a yellow pages where you quickly have to scan for data, such as the number of restaurants or barbers on the page or in a certain area by the code. You do this whilst counting beeps in the background (ours was a lift and you had to count the beeps to know which floor it was on).
The TRP is a simple school comprehension style question, listen to and read a paragraph of text and then answer questions on it. There will be technical data to recall so practice using something like a car manual and get someone to ask you questions on it after.
The second TRP is exactly as the practice material, I'm sure again I found some stuff online by searching cables and dials to get more of an idea.
As for the computerised tests, the WAFV is simply staring at a screen watching a flashing grey dot for half an hour, when it goes dark you click and that's it. I practised by downloading a reaction test app on my phone and followed what they recommended in the practice material when driving and saw a certain colour car quickly tapped a finger to react.
The ATAVT I found by far the hardest, an image flashes up and you have to answer questions, how many cars etc? The image seems to disappear almost instantly. Do as they suggest and use magazine cuttings and others to help you by flashing it up in front of your face and then asking what you saw but nearly all of us on the day I was there thought we failed this one.
The 2hand co-ordination I found video games helped massively if you play Fifa or COD you'll be fine but I did also use the diagrams provided which helped. The advice I got was work quickly but as accurate as you can you can go outside but if you do correct it quickly.
The SJE I can't recall, think we'd already done it online previously but it's just always putting safety first.
The MMI you need to provide examples of when you've dealt with an emergency, communicated something clearly and other similar safety orientated situations, there's loads of info on here also, you'll write them down first and then be interviewed and challenged on what you've said and how it made you feel, it can be like a cross examination but remain clam and focused on what you did and how it helped the situation, a bit like a competency interview stick to STAR method (what was Situation, what were your Tasks, what Actions did you take, what was the Result).
Good luck with it
Just reading back through this post again and realised I forgot to say thanks for such a comprehensive reply. I've still yet to get a date for the tests but this should give me plenty to go on

Comfy

New recruits- Do you get an unconditional contract before the start date or is that sorted when you start? I have returned the conditional contract and all the other new starter forms. Just wondering if I will hear from them again before my start date? I worry a lot in case it falls through and I'm left jobless

Emilali

New recruits- Do you get an unconditional contract before the start date or is that sorted when you start? I have returned the conditional contract and all the other new starter forms. Just wondering if I will hear from them again before my start date? I worry a lot in case it falls through and I'm left jobless

Is there a minimum return of service in your contract? Also, does it mention at what stage you will jump to the newly agreed rate of pay? Thanks in advance.

Volvictof

Just received my welcome pack and timetable. It all feels real now seeing the exact dates of different training items etc. Absolutely buzzing.

Volvictof

How does the timetable look for training?
Looks pretty good like, mostly Mon-Friday with the odd weekend day here and there. Dubious to go into any detail as I’m sure I signed something saying I wouldn’t disclose company information including training Etc.

Lemtrac8

Looks pretty good like, mostly Mon-Friday with the odd weekend day here and there. Dubious to go into any detail as I’m sure I signed something saying I wouldn’t disclose company information including training Etc.

I have a feeling most of us will disappear off here once we start and sign a good old confidentiality clause.

Caad12

Starting 21/9 - had a drive down today to scout out the surrounding parking opportunities - sparse unless you’re there dead early.

Nervous as owt but cannot wait to start. See you all on Monday 9am.

Volvictof

Starting 21/9 - had a drive down today to scout out the surrounding parking opportunities - sparse unless you’re there dead early.

Nervous as owt but cannot wait to start. See you all on Monday 9am.
Just what I was planning on doing. Is it worth parking at another station and getting the metro there?

Caad12

Yeah probably Heworth near the station or somewhere with free parking. There are spaces dotted about but it’ll be a right bugger to get one.

Comfy

Theres a good bit of free parking in South shields. Just might be a 5 /10 minute walk away.

Comfy

Excellent. Not 100% on shields as I’ve only visited fleetingly.
I only know certain parts but its much better than say Newcastle for parking. There's lots of housing estates that I'm pretty sure have no restrictions and also free parking on ocean road and the back of ocean road. There's also a free car park on St Hilda Street and Mill dam car park. Theres probably more that I've forgot.

Caad12

I only know certain parts but its much better than say Newcastle for parking. There's lots of housing estates that I'm pretty sure have no restrictions and also free parking on ocean road and the back of ocean road. There's also a free car park on St Hilda Street and Mill dam car park. Theres probably more that I've forgot.

Cracking. Thanks for that.

Anyone know when we’ll get our uniform / kit issued? Take it we’re casual smart until we get our kit?

Volvictof

Cracking. Thanks for that.

Anyone know when we’ll get our uniform / kit issued? Take it we’re casual smart until we get our kit?
I assume it will be ready waiting for us on the first day, they’ve already got our sizes etc from that (slightly confusing) form that we filled in.

Stigy

Established Member
Well done all those through, and good luck going forward, I’m sure you’ll all love it!

Also to add; Sorry, but I just can’t help but read at least the latter part of this thread in a Geordie accent :D

Caad12

Well done all those through, and good luck going forward, I’m sure you’ll all love it!

Also to add; Sorry, but I just can’t help but read at least the latter part of this thread in a Geordie accent :D

Cheers bonny lad (or lass) :)

Volvictof

Before I go emailing the training team does anyone know what you have to bring with you? In the welcome pack it mentioned coloured pencils and binders etc, but didn't list anything specifically.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Good luck on Monday everyone.

I've been in the training centre this week and it's very, very nice indeed. If you having any questions about getting there (Google Maps will send you on a jolly and a half) or the centre itself then drop me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.