• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro recruiting new trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owen2323

Hello all,

I had my assessment centre late last week and had the brilliant phone call today to say that I had passed the tests/interview and in pending medical. Absolutely over the moon.

Was told I was originally on the early February course, but due to lockdown being imposed this may very well be delayed

How are people finding the training?
Hope other members get some good news also

Congrats mate - that course is a lot sooner than I was expecting!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Newcastle1221

Hello all,

I had my assessment centre late last week and had the brilliant phone call today to say that I had passed the tests/interview and in pending medical. Absolutely over the moon.

Was told I was originally on the early February course, but due to lockdown being imposed this may very well be delayed

Great news.

I’m due to start my course early next year, so hoping that it won’t be delayed! But I wouldn’t be surprised if it is! The main thing is that we have passed, so just a waiting game now!

galzinho

Hello all,

congrats on that bud

I had my assessment beginning of October and thankfully passed.
Was due to start 18th January pending medical and references, but seems to have went quiet since then with the assessments being postponed, and sure this lockdown won’t help things.
It is what it is though, at least we know the job is there, just the way everything is at the minute, would be nice to get the medical in and out the way though

With ECTLs current “part-qualified” vacancies, it’ll be interesting to see how many they poach from Metro. It may mean Metro need drivers even sooner!? I take it the Metro notice period is 6 months? Will ECTL wait for them I wonder

Comfy

With ECTLs current “part-qualified” vacancies, it’ll be interesting to see how many they poach from Metro. It may mean Metro need drivers even sooner!? I take it the Metro notice period is 6 months? Will ECTL wait for them I wonder
3 months notice as far as I know

Andrizu

Scheduled in for the medical at the end of this month, just a quick question for those who have already had the medical/may know the answer

My eyesight is quite bad (prescription around -9) with astigmatism, however with glasses my eyesight is pretty much perfect.

Ive read a lot of things about a minimum requirement, however I’m hoping that the doctors discretion can be used should this be the case.

Anybody have any knowledge of this or can shed any light on this?

Cheers

P444

Scheduled in for the medical at the end of this month, just a quick question for those who have already had the medical/may know the answer

My eyesight is quite bad (prescription around -9) with astigmatism, however with glasses my eyesight is pretty much perfect.

Ive read a lot of things about a minimum requirement, however I’m hoping that the doctors discretion can be used should this be the case.

Anybody have any knowledge of this or can shed any light on this?

Cheers

Andrizu

Guys first of all, thanks for all the help/responses I’ve received so far. Been a big help. Hope other people got good news/training going well.

Passed the medical the other day after a touch of white coat syndrome (perfect the second time (phew) and now just waiting on a start date. Really excited to start and get cracking.

Just wondering if anyone potentially knows
A) the structure of the training (more classroom based than practical?) or vice versa

b) a rough idea of the shift patterns?

Thanks in advance,
Kind regards,

Comfy

Guys first of all, thanks for all the help/responses I’ve received so far. Been a big help. Hope other people got good news/training going well.

Passed the medical the other day after a touch of white coat syndrome (perfect the second time (phew) and now just waiting on a start date. Really excited to start and get cracking.

Just wondering if anyone potentially knows
A) the structure of the training (more classroom based than practical?) or vice versa

b) a rough idea of the shift patterns?

Thanks in advance,
Kind regards,
Congratulations on passing everything.

Its a mix of classroom and practical. More classroom than practical.
Shifts are 5 days out of 7 but can be any days. Mostly starting at 8am.

Last edited:

cjsatc

Hi all, great to see so many of you getting through. Its squeaky bum time for me, pyscho tests on Friday

No, well not unless it has changed.

I can’t understand why the unions aren’t pushing for T&W drivers to be issued a ETDL. Surely formal certification would have T&W drivers feeling a lot more valued and less would jump ship at the earliest opportunity to go mainline and get their licence? Same psychometrics and medical requirements but a different outcome seems very unfair on T&W drivers to me

Driver068

It has nothing to do with the unions or the operators of the T&W Metro, the standards are laid out by the ORR for Qualified Mainline Train drivers which do not include Metros, Heritage and other light rail. As the Metros are light rail and mainline as heavy rail this may be one of the reasons. Also i belive full rules are not undertook by the T&W drivers compared to Qualified drivers so may not meet the standards set.
The above is information has been provided to myself by others when i asked the question and may not be the case, i dont understand the differences myself so any further information provided would be interesting to know.

It has nothing to do with the unions or the operators of the T&W Metro, the standards are laid out by the ORR for Qualified Mainline Train drivers which do not include Metros, Heritage and other light rail. As the Metros are light rail and mainline as heavy rail this may be one of the reasons. Also i belive full rules are not undertook by the T&W drivers compared to Qualified drivers so may not meet the standards set.
The above is information has been provided to myself by others when i asked the question and may not be the case, i dont understand the differences myself so any further information provided would be interesting to know.

I believe T&W drivers do have to do full rules as have to drive on NR infrastructure between Pelaw and South Hylton on 4 aspect signalling. But still no ETDL :(

Sj71

Hi everyone, first post on here. Had my assessment day last week, has anyone else who had there tests last week had a phone call yet?

Also a question has anyone completed all parts of the tests including final interview and then been told they were not successful?

Thanks

Focus11

Hi,

Due to start training next year.
Just wondering if anybody who is currently in training can verify the supposedly agreed payrise and if any of this is mentioned in the contract?

Also what qualification/licence do you get at the end of training?

Thanks

GW29

Hi everyone, first post on here. Had my assessment day last week, has anyone else who had there tests last week had a phone call yet?

Also a question has anyone completed all parts of the tests including final interview and then been told they were not successful?

Thanks
Hi folks! First time i've posted on here too. I had my psyhometric tests last week and received a call today to say I have been successful.

Now in a talent pool with a look to start training after March as was informed the current schools are filled.

I am aware that some people may not pass the interview stage at the end of the testing, and that this should be communicated by the call from Nexus to inform you of the result

Sj71

Hi folks! First time i've posted on here too. I had my psyhometric tests last week and received a call today to say I have been successful.

Now in a talent pool with a look to start training after March as was informed the current schools are filled.

I am aware that some people may not pass the interview stage at the end of the testing, and that this should be communicated by the call from Nexus to inform you of the result
Hi thanks for the reply, can i ask what day you did your tests ladt week? Thanks

Andrizu

Was told i could be starting in March. Potentisl course on the 1st so just waiting for contract now
Yeah I was told no earlier than March a couple of weeks ago but nothing further. Also haven’t had contracts through or anything like that since passing the medical.
Well done on getting through. Looking forward to starting.

Dre

Has anyone else received the email today confirming they will start the 1st of March?

Last edited:

Dre

Hi,

Due to start training next year.
Just wondering if anybody who is currently in training can verify the supposedly agreed payrise and if any of this is mentioned in the contract?

Also what qualification/licence do you get at the end of training?

Thanks
Good question. Going by the papers it seems to be as of Oct 2021, however I dont know whats written into the contracts. Maybe someone can shed some light if they are already in training.

whoosh

Established Member
I believe T&W drivers do have to do full rules as have to drive on NR infrastructure between Pelaw and South Hylton on 4 aspect signalling. But still no ETDL :(

No ETDL for London Underground drivers either. Despite District, Bakerloo, and Metropolitan drivers all working over Network Rail routes.

BFC1882

Does anybody know if the assessment days are still currently going ahead or is it all on hold again with the tighter restrictions in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.