• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UEFA EURO 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Ahhhh, the group of people who like to call everyone 'snowflakes' finding something else to get wound up about for no reason. The irony is hilarious. Taking the knee doesn't appear to be doing much on the racism front but as long as it gets the gammonista riled up I'm all for it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
But i dont understand how the personal choice of a group of young men to use thier platform or voice to make a protest about somerhing importnant to them is worth getting so riled up.

Why would a person boo or object to another person saying, essentially, please dont racially abuse me whilat i work?

The players have explained thier stance and it seems praiseworthy not onjectionable.

When challenged most people against this simply parrot obvious social media tropes pumped out by the usual right wing commentators. I am not even sure most know what they are complaining about!

Its marxist innit seems to be the general response!
To be clear, the people who booed were just as wrong, and probably more so to be honest. There’s no need for that.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
To be clear, the people who booed were just as wrong, and probably more so to be honest. There’s no need for that.

I agree - i just dont understand why anyone would do that. Why buy the ticket?

But there has been a minority (significant?) of england fans hold some silly views

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I agree - i just dont understand why anyone would do that. Why buy the ticket?

But there has been a minority (significant?) of england fans hold some silly views
I think the explanation is really quite simple. People buy football tickets to watch football and a lot of people like the idea of a politics and ideology free space for them to be entertained by professional athletes.

I think there’s a lot of suspicion that by co-opting the “knee” immediately after George Floyd’s murder in a foreign country by a foreign police officer that the protest isn’t particularly relevant and people aren’t sure what exactly they’re being asked to do or agree with.

Few people seemed to have an issue with the many other anti-racism campaigns we saw in the 90s and 2000s, like Kick It Out.

The fact the protest is “against racism” isn’t the objection from most people, but rather more nuanced.

They still shouldn’t boo an anti-racism gesture though no matter how cringe they find it.

roversfan2001

Established Member
I think the explanation is really quite simple. People buy football tickets to watch football and a lot of people like the idea of a politics and ideology free space for them to be entertained by professional athletes.
Such a stance would be a tad more respected if it didn't go out of the window every November. When they say "keep politics out of football" they mean "keep politics I don't like out of football".

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Nothing - you get knocked out in the first round every time ;) Scotland, with their at best Championship level squad, have done really well to qualify. However, they have only qualified due to the numbers allowed to qualify being extended.
On the numbers of teams participating, personally I'd rather there were an extra 8 teams involved- allowing two further groups with ONLY the top two progressing to the knockout stage. It should not be possible to progress without winning any of the three group games.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Exactly, what has the world come to when virtue signalling is the apparent norm... You don’t honestly think that kneeling is for, or has any impact on racism do you? Why not show true support for the Kick It Out campaign which is footballs own equality & inclusion organisation that everyone, no matter what their colour or gender is, should get behind?

This is just about ignorance on your part.

Such a stance would be a tad more respected if it didn't go out of the window every November. When they say "keep politics out of football" they mean "keep politics I don't like out of football".
This. It’s selective on the part of people moaning. The message I get from people who moan about BLM, is the same message I heard (still hear) from people who are against LGBT rights. They hide behind the cloak of ”I don’t care what people do in their private life but stop throwing it in my face” to really mean either:

a) they are too immature to comprehend the complexity of the issue;​
b) they are too immature to accept that their view of the world is not perfect and there are issues that negativily affect other people far more than them;​
c) they are bigoted and use veiled comments like “keep politics out of football” to demonstrate that bigotry; or​
d) combinations of the above three points.​
If England fans boo the England team at the Euros for taking the knee, I would be very embarrassed and ashamed for my country. I expect that most fans will then drown out the booing fans and show their solidarity, like at Sunderland.

Last edited:

I’m surprised that the novelty of taking the knee at sporting event’s hasn’t worn off by now, it’s just over a year now that this nonsense first started.

HST274

Please, not every arena of public life has to be about politics or activism, even if the motives are sound or innocent.
Happy with an anti racist campaign as long as it isn't in your face as you can ignore it safely. Got it.
They are not going on TV and chatting about socio economics, why brexit is bad and how a tax increase could benefit the NHS. They are kneeling to stop a serious problem which is important in and out of politics and not shouting in your face. Furthermore rashford and others go on twitter every day to be racially abused. Are you saying they can't protest that on a public stage?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
They are not going on TV and chatting about socio economics, why brexit is bad and how a tax increase could benefit the NHS. They are kneeling to stop a serious problem which is important in and out of politics and not shouting in your face. Furthermore rashford and others go on twitter every day to be racially abused. Are you saying they can't protest that on a public stage?
It’s deeply unwise for them to do so.

What is the end game? When do they stop the protest? Will it go on for ever? Who, exactly, are they speaking to and what specific action would they like them to take?

There will be a day when professional sports teams stop taking the knee, and racism will still be an issue because, frankly, it’s a problem endemic in one form or another within society. There is no way out for them - they will always be seen as having “given up”. Zaha was more circumspect about this and wisely stopped doing it a while ago because he correctly identified it as mostly performative.

Football has a racism problem but importing a gesture from the USA unrelated to the specific and very different race problem Britain has is bound to attract suspicion.

Millwall’s fans booed the taking of the knee (an American gesture heavily associated with the partly discredited BLM organisation and its foul politics over there) but loudly cheered the team when they held up a big, generic banner about anti-racism might be a clue as to what the issue might be. A lot of people really really don’t mind Rashford campaigning for the government to feed children but do mind the feeling of being given a confusing moral lecture - even if they agree with it - by extraordinary privileged multi-millionaires before every game.

I still think the main reason people like taking the knee, and say they support others taking the knee, is because it’s a zero-cost, already mainstreamed gesture far, far removed from Colin Kaepernick’s personally costly, solo demonstration in the US a few years ago.

Darandio

Established Member
Now i'm in the mood. Bocelli was magnificent in that small opening ceremony.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not sure that game tells us much about Italy, their performance was professional but met with very little resistance from a very poor Turkish side. Tougher tests await.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
The thing is Turkey were in great form before the tournament beating both France and the Netherlands yet Italy wiped the floor with them. Obviously its too early to say, but Italy I think have a real chance of going all the way.

Also Spinazolla and Barella are class players. Chielinni is still insane at 36. Insigne looks quality as well.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Not sure that game tells us much about Italy, their performance was professional but met with very little resistance from a very poor Turkish side. Tougher tests await.
Turkey are such a confusing side. It’s always confused me how they’re unable to put together a world class football team, given their size and the enthusiasm for football over there.

A creditable draw for Wales there! 1-1 against the Swiss.

Last edited:

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Wales were very poor, very good result for them to get a draw. The Swiss through that game a way through poor finishing and awful management.

How is Seferovic still their starting striker?

Embolo was really good though.

And Dan Ward, what a performance, kept Wales in the game.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Wales were very poor, very good result for them to get a draw. The Swiss through that game a way through poor finishing and awful management.

How is Seferovic still their starting striker?

Embolo was really good though.

And Dan Ward, what a performance, kept Wales in the game.
Danny Ward didn't have anything to prove to me, but the pundits barely look beyond the Premier League so the fact he has a promotion under his belt (one he was vital in, with multiple saves across two penalty shootouts) doesn't seem to register. They've had to get out of their comfort zone a bit thanks to Kieffer Moore's goal though.

Jimini

Established Member
Dunno if it was just me, but every time the commentators mentioned Mbabu, I found myself doing my Vic Reeves / Shooting Stars impression :lol:

Darandio

Established Member
Dunno if it was just me, but every time the commentators mentioned Mbabu, I found myself doing my Vic Reeves / Shooting Stars impression :lol:

Haven't watched him play a great deal but when facing him on Football Manager and seeing his name mentioned i've often shouted Iranu back at the screen. :lol:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
This is bad...

Christian Eriksen collapsed towards the end of the first half of Denmark v Finland. Medics in attendance.

Thoughts go out to all of Denmark and especially the Eriksen family. I don't pray but I'm hoping for good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.