• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK face coverings discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

farleigh

I wore a blue mask for a week (mandated at work) about 20 minutes a day and my face got sore and sinuses blocked.

i wear a snood now

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I think that volunteers in vaccine trials should be excempt from wearing masks. In order to prove that a vaccine works, I would have thought the volunteers would have to try and expose themselves to the virus? Is anyone on this forum taking part in a vaccine trial?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think that volunteers in vaccine trials should be excempt from wearing masks. In order to prove that a vaccine works, I would have thought the volunteers would have to try and expose themselves to the virus?
Not wearing a mask isn't likely to expose yourself to the virus, though.

I'm yet to see any evidence that people who do not wear masks (e.g. due to exemptions) are in any way more likely to be infected; no-one can provide to any real-world data showing this.

In reality, the countries that mandate masks the most seem to have the highest surges after such mandates were introduced, e.g. Italy, Spain, France etc. I am not for a moment suggesting that this was caused by masks but I am suggesting the masks failed to have any effect.

The current trials do not involve trying to get infected but there are entirely separate trials due to take place where people do get deliberately infected:

The UK is pushing ahead to be the first nation to carry out "human challenge" studies where up to 90 healthy people will be deliberately exposed to Covid.
The trials, which could begin in January, aim to speed up the race to get a Covid-19 vaccine.
The government is putting £33.6m towards the groundbreaking work.
Safety will be a number one priority, experts insist. The plans will need ethical approval and sign-off from regulators before they can go ahead.
Human challenge studies provide a faster way to test vaccines because you don't have to wait for people to be exposed to an illness naturally.

Is anyone on this forum taking part in a vaccine trial?
I'm not aware of anyone doing so on this forum, but I'd say it's best discussed in a separate thread (e.g. https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/signing-up-for-covid-vaccine-trials.206990/ )

kez19

Established Member
I wore a blue mask for a week (mandated at work) about 20 minutes a day and my face got sore and sinuses blocked.

i wear a snood now

I’m ok with wearing the disposable masks be at work (6-12 hr shifts) or outside (shops) but my nose blocking is a mystery!

Even tried with a snood and other masks but it seems to still happen afterwards (blocked nose/headaches and at times trying to breathe normal)

AndyY

Evidence for the masks assertion, please!
Hong Kong, Singapore: No social distancing in markets (outdoors) and supermarkets (indoors), population density (literally not metaphorically) much higher, everyone wearing masks outdoors (no "exemption" nonsense) - result no large outbreak.

You are asking for scientific evidence. I think that whatever can be provided, it will not be enough for you.
If you want to find "evidence" which supports your theory, you will eventually find enough. Similar to the bible bashers who managed to scrape enough evidence from various research papers to "prove" that the universe is <10,000 years old and that the theory evolution is a figment of our imagination.

Yew

Established Member
Hong Kong, Singapore: No social distancing in markets (outdoors) and supermarkets (indoors), population density (literally not metaphorically) much higher, everyone wearing masks outdoors (no "exemption" nonsense) - result no large outbreak.

You are asking for scientific evidence. I think that whatever can be provided, it will not be enough for you.
If you want to find "evidence" which supports your theory, you will eventually find enough. Similar to the bible bashers who managed to scrape enough evidence from various research papers to "prove" that the universe is <10,000 years old and that the theory evolution is a figment of our imagination.
If only there was some well-established standard of scientific rigour that we could use...

Darandio

Established Member

Masks have been mandatory in a wider setting since 24th July, that is four months. And in that whole time this is the best evidence anyone can provide, says a lot.

MikeWM

Established Member
So is he saying that if you mask-up now instead of when he first asked, 60,000 extra deaths ‘will be on your conscience for not obeying sooner’ ? That’s the sort of shaming these maskivists like to bring to the table...

I don't believe he fully understands what he is saying most of the time, unfortunately. I don't think he's exactly in terribly good health.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We're over 6,000 posts into this now and I rather suspect that we've probably gone over every single facet of this discussion in some detail at this point with everyone having more than enough time to put their views across! As such we're going to draw a line under this thread here for the time being. If there are any developments worthy of note (a change in government policy, some sort of major scientific break through, etc) then please feel free to report this post and we can look at re-opening the thread. In the meantime though thank you all for your contributions and for now we're done here :)

VauxhallandI

Established Member
This thread has been kindly re-opened so I could provide an update of my ongoing interaction with my Council.

A quick summary of things so far that have been mentioned in this thread.

My local Tesco had incorrect mask regulation signage up as it did not mention that exemptions can apply.

I complained to Tesco HQ and after a couple of interactions they agreed and stated that they had sent the correct signage (showed me the image) to the store for display. After a couple more weeks of emails as the store had not followed up by changin* the signage I contact the Environmental section of my Council to ask them to intervene- this takes us through the month of October.

Subsequent telephone calls and emails with the department resulted in no action being taken and a denial that according to law they have the wrong signage. This was despite me supplying them with highlighted wording bot in the Statutory wording and the accompanying Guidance notes, also the email admission from Tesco themselves and a copy of the letter of admission that was posted here from Cancer Research (no personal info from that letter was included).

I was therefore left in the position of having to make a formal complaint to the council.

This was the response I received

Re : Signage Display during the pandemic
Date: 7 December 2020 Our reference: FC20068 Your reference: N/A
Thank-you for bringing this matter to my attention in relation to the signage that was being displayed at Tesco, 64-78 Tuners Hill, Cheshunt during lockdown:
Mr Gill would like to complain that Broxbourne Borough Council are failing to enforce the terms of The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions)(Obligations of Undertakings) (England)(Amendment) Regulations 2020 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1046/made in regards to Tesco Metro located at Cheshunt The Old Pond not presenting the correct signage for the wearing of face masks.

I have discussed this matter with local representatives of the County group and agree that a consistent message should be applied.

The issue that you have raised related to the signage being displayed at the premises and it not making reference specifically to the exemptions. The Council’s Legal Department were consulted in relation to this issue. The legal advice that the Council has received is that ‘Tesco were not required to display an additional notice providing information for customers that are exempt from wearing face coverings’.

As there was no legislative requirement for this to be provided and the premises have also now subsequently improved their signage, there is nothing further for the Council to investigate.
The Council has worked with numerous supermarket premises during the pandemic to ensure that they are Covid secure.

I have therefore not upheld your complaint.

Well you can imagine the frustration of receiving such a poor response which include more irrelevant information than anything directly evidencing their decision on the point in hand.

Therefore I was left with no option but to go to Complaint stage 2. I specifically asked them to provide the evidence that the Statutory Instrument did not read as I had read it. Whilst I am not a lawyer I read contracts on a regular basis so I am no stranger to legalese.

I received this response on 23rd December:
Formal Complaint, Stage 2 – Signage Display during the Pandemic

Thank you for your communication regarding the issues specified below:

Your stage 2 complaint is summarised as:
* Tesco should display signs which inform customers of the need to wear a face covering in store, unless an exemption applies. The current signs only makes reference to the need to wear a mask but does not refer to the exemptions.
* The Council inaccurately stated that the legislation does not require signs to make reference to the exemptions.
* The Council inaccurately claimed Tesco Metro had improved their signs.
* You consider the Council’s comment that it has worked with various supermarkets to
make them Covid secure, to be irrelevant, in the context of the concern you raised.
* The Council should take enforcement action against Tesco for displaying signs which are not in accordance with the legislation.

I can confirm the Council was incorrect in its previous communication with you regarding Regulation 2020/1008 concerning the wording required on shop signs for wearing face coverings, for which I sincerely apologise.

As you state in your letter the regulation does note that signs requiring customers to wear a face covering should also say, ‘unless an exemption applies or you have a reasonable excuse under the regulations’.
Please accept my formal apology for providing you with an inaccurate response regarding the interpretation of the regulations, and for incorrectly stating the store had improved its signs.

The Council has been working with stores to ensure they are Covid secure, but I accept this statement is not relevant to the particular complaint you were raising about the signs in Tesco Metro.

I confirm the Council will write to the management team of the Tesco Metro store and remind them of the appropriate signage responsibilities in accordance with the regulations.

Once again, apologies for the error and the inconvenience this caused.

Whilst it is a relief to finally get to the agreement on the SI there are so many questions left.

When will Tesco do the change of signage? I haven’t been out since the 23rd to check.

What was the Legal thinking and how did it change?

How can the whole department be so wrong and incapable of critical thinking?

Can you imagine the condescension and tone of my interactions with their team. Overall they think you are an idiot and you will just disappear if they ignore, lie or inject enough irrelevant information in to the conversations.

This whole thing took 3 months (if indeed it is over) when it could have taken an hour.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Given I was previously employed by a local Council (which will remain nameless) and know what they are like, and given the reputation they have leading to people referring to them as the "Clowncil", I am absolutely not surprised other Councils are similarly incompetent.

I also get the impression some Councils are rather keen on the authoritarianism that now plagues our society, so I am not surprised they chose not to familiarise themselves with these parts of the legislation that don't suit an authoritarian agenda.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Given I was previously employed by a local Council (which will remain nameless) and know what they are like, and given the reputation they have leading to people referring to them as the "Clowncil", I am absolutely not surprised other Councils are similarly incompetent.

I also get the impression some Councils are rather keen on the authoritarianism that now plagues our society, so I am not surprised they chose not to familiarise themselves with these parts of the legislation that don't suit an authoritarian agenda.
Yes I was going to summarise something around maybe them being hotbeds of inadequacy.

I’m embarrassed as a quasi civil servant myself. If I or a department at my place of work had demonstrated this level of incompetence, well actually I just couldn’t see it happening at all.

It’s of no coincidence that I see the less capable in my area of expertise and those areas I work closely with often ending up a local councils.

Ken H

On Moderation

think councils are loving this. reound here bunging up signs all over the place. do they really think people dont know whey are supposed to social distance? seeing more petty vandalism of this useless signage.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Well you can imagine the frustration of receiving such a poor response which include more irrelevant information than anything directly evidencing their decision on the point in hand.

Therefore I was left with no option but to go to Complaint stage 2. I specifically asked them to provide the evidence that the Statutory Instrument did not read as I had read it. Whilst I am not a lawyer I read contracts on a regular basis so I am no stranger to legalese.

I received this response on 23rd December:

Whilst it is a relief to finally get to the agreement on the SI there are so many questions left.

When will Tesco do the change of signage, I haven’t been out since the 23rd to check.

What was the Legal thinking and how did it change

How can the whole department be so wrong and incapable of critical thinking

Can you imagine the condescension and tone of my interactions with their team. Overall they think you are an idiot and you will just disappear if they ignore, lie or inject enough irrelevant information in to the conversations.

This whole thing took 3 months (if indeed it is over) when it could have taken an hour.
That's an interesting one actually, because my local Tesco's signage definitely mentions the exemptions, and rightly so. I wonder if it's a regional thing. If you don't mind, could you keep us posted in this thread on whether they do in fact change the signs or not, next time you visit?

But just as important as displaying the correct information on the signage - if not more so - is ensuring that staff are properly aware, and judging by plenty of experiences reported around the web, some aren't... plenty of stories on here of people informing staff that they have an exemption and being discriminated against because they are to provide any form of material proof to that effect, even though some of the exemption criteria have no clear way to prove them! Good on you @VauxhallandI for pursuing this.

I don't actually have anything against masks perse, and as I've said before I probably wouldn't even have an issue with a mandation, if some thought was put into it and I had any level of trust in the current authorities not to abuse it. But the way they're being handled (not literally) in this country is utterly atrocious (like pretty much everything else this government has done, might I add).

think councils are loving this. reound here bunging up signs all over the place. do they really think people dont know whey are supposed to social distance? seeing more petty vandalism of this useless signage.
Yes, my local council has a standard template sign which all local businesses are displaying; you can walk through the local shopping precinct and the same sign is up several dozen times. I'm not sure I really see the point of it to be honest.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
It should be an eye opener to all the folks who put their trust and therefore their lives in the hands of these people under the misguided perception that they are doing the best/right thing.

brad465

Established Member
On Wednesday I used the train for the first time in a month, and the first time it was really cold, so could see what wearing face coverings (I use a bandana) outside is like. I could easily see the vapour from my breath passing through it, albeit with a slightly different movement in the air perhaps, but it does make me think viral particles must be getting through if they're clinging to vapour particles.

Jamiescott1

On Wednesday I used the train for the first time in a month, and the first time it was really cold, so could see what wearing face coverings (I use a bandana) outside is like. I could easily see the vapour from my breath passing through it, albeit with a slightly different movement in the air perhaps, but it does make me think viral particles must be getting through if they're clinging to vapour particles.

If I sneeze in a face coverings I automatically still put my hand over my mouth outside of my mask and my hand gets wet

Pete_uk

Established Member
As a humorous aside, I saw a American racing driver open his mouth wide and squirt a drink into his mouth forgetting it was covered of course

Both Tesco and Broxbourne Council have better things to do than pander to your libertarian 'crusade for freedom'

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Both Tesco and Broxbourne Council have better things to do than pander to your libertarian 'crusade for freedom'
I beg your pardon.

It’s ok to pick and choose which parts of a law that suits you? I think you’ll find insisting on adherence to the law isn’t libertarian?

I hope we can find a law that affects you we can blanket ignore and see how rude you are then

Last edited:

STINT47

A lot of shops and councils have gone over the top with enforcing the laws and regulations.

If your going to pick people up for not following the law in my view its highley hypocritical to not comply with it yourself and a conplaint is justified.

DustyBin

Established Member
Exactly what we’ve been saying on here from the get-go. Try presenting all this logic to the mask obsessives though...

When I read that and then look at what happened around the world after mask mandates were introduced, I can’t help but think of scurvy and vitamin C.... Mind you there are numerous aspects to our covid response that make me think the same!

The Ham

Established Member
This was posted on another forum I use, but the guidance really did change very suddenly didn’t it?

View attachment 88100
However what that does show is that there's still may be benefit from wearing (non N95) masks for up to 30 minutes at a time, with the timeframe thereafter being to discussion as to how risky it is thereafter (if 0-30 minutes is OK, how much beyond 30 minutes is it before risks outweigh the benefits?).

After 30 minutes your mask won't actually cause you harm from mildew, in that typically it takes about 24 hours from getting wet before surfaces are infected with mildew spores (often cited as a figure of between 24-72 hours). Therefore it's likely that 30 minutes is related to how long before masks are wet enough to be infected with spores.

Even if they were infected with spores at that point (due to being in an area with lots of mildew spores) it's going to take time before they start to grow.

With such a basic misunderstanding on Mildew, either the CDC are giving out poor advice or it may well be that such a document may not actually have come from the CDC (given that it's a photo of a document which could fairly easily be modified before being printed off and photographed as "evidence").

Therefore whilst it's not a good idea to wear masks for long periods of time (and given the data from studies which show a possible minor improvement to risk tend to also be linked to long exposure in high risk areas, and time and high levels of virus are two major factors as to if you're going to be infected and so it's very unlikely that wearing a mask for a long period of time is unlikely to be of much/any use) it doesn't prove that mask wearing for the majority of uses (going to the supermarket, short trips on a bus, etc) wouldn't provide benefit.

However, at I've said before, is going to be hard to show any benefit for such short term use as the level of risk is generally low, so you'd be hard pushed to develop a study to be able to prove that they provide benefit as two major risk factors are likely to be low risk anyway.

Therefore, assuming that the document is from the CDC (and I'd like to see something more than had already been shown) then for most who wear masks for short periods of time then their risk from wearing them is going to be very low but may provide some benefit in providing some reduction in their risk of contracting Covid-19 and so should where suitable continue to wear masks.

For those who should wear masks for longer periods of time I fully agree that the evidence is poor and that you do run the risk that you could start to get other complications which could offset any possible benefits. However even then the studies to date do show that mask wearing is more likely than not to have some limited benefit in high risk long duration settings where there's other sources of the flu (such as from the healthcare workers child) and so unless you're in such a setting then it's probably worth wearing masks.

However I would highlight that any change between wearing/not wearing masks is only going to have a small impact on the growth rate in the number of infections (i.e. if they are doubling every week without masks it may only reduce to x1.99 a week with masks) and so fast climbing numbers of cases isn't evidence either way. As the difference on the increase line between 1024 and 974 over a 10 week period wouldn't look all that different.

DustyBin

Established Member
However what that does show is that there's still may be benefit from wearing (non N95) masks for up to 30 minutes at a time, with the timeframe thereafter being to discussion as to how risky it is thereafter (if 0-30 minutes is OK, how much beyond 30 minutes is it before risks outweigh the benefits?).

After 30 minutes your mask won't actually cause you harm from mildew, in that typically it takes about 24 hours from getting wet before surfaces are infected with mildew spores (often cited as a figure of between 24-72 hours). Therefore it's likely that 30 minutes is related to how long before masks are wet enough to be infected with spores.

Even if they were infected with spores at that point (due to being in an area with lots of mildew spores) it's going to take time before they start to grow.

With such a basic misunderstanding on Mildew, either the CDC are giving out poor advice or it may well be that such a document may not actually have come from the CDC (given that it's a photo of a document which could fairly easily be modified before being printed off and photographed as "evidence").

Therefore whilst it's not a good idea to wear masks for long periods of time (and given the data from studies which show a possible minor improvement to risk tend to also be linked to long exposure in high risk areas, and time and high levels of virus are two major factors as to if you're going to be infected and so it's very unlikely that wearing a mask for a long period of time is unlikely to be of much/any use) it doesn't prove that mask wearing for the majority of uses (going to the supermarket, short trips on a bus, etc) wouldn't provide benefit.

However, at I've said before, is going to be hard to show any benefit for such short term use as the level of risk is generally low, so you'd be hard pushed to develop a study to be able to prove that they provide benefit as two major risk factors are likely to be low risk anyway.

Therefore, assuming that the document is from the CDC (and I'd like to see something more than had already been shown) then for most who wear masks for short periods of time then their risk from wearing them is going to be very low but may provide some benefit in providing some reduction in their risk of contracting Covid-19 and so should where suitable continue to wear masks.

For those who should wear masks for longer periods of time I fully agree that the evidence is poor and that you do run the risk that you could start to get other complications which could offset any possible benefits. However even then the studies to date do show that mask wearing is more likely than not to have some limited benefit in high risk long duration settings where there's other sources of the flu (such as from the healthcare workers child) and so unless you're in such a setting then it's probably worth wearing masks.

However I would highlight that any change between wearing/not wearing masks is only going to have a small impact on the growth rate in the number of infections (i.e. if they are doubling every week without masks it may only reduce to x1.99 a week with masks) and so fast climbing numbers of cases isn't evidence either way. As the difference on the increase line between 1024 and 974 over a 10 week period wouldn't look all that different.

Whilst I can’t verify the authenticity of the document, it’s consistent with the advice being given at the time by both the CDC and WHO, even as late as March 2020:

World Health Organization officials Monday said they still recommend people not wear face masks unless they are sick with Covid-19 or caring for someone who is sick. "There is no specific evidence to suggest that the wearing of masks by the mass population has any potential benefit. In fact, there's some evidence to suggest the opposite in the misuse of wearing a mask properly or fitting it properly," Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO health emergencies program, said at a media briefing in Geneva, Switzerland, on Monday.

On balance I’m inclined to believe it’s an authentic document, possibly not for public consumption?

I think your post provides a balanced view but my concern is that in the real world many people are wearing masks for hours on end then storing them in pockets, handbags and glove compartments and then wearing them again (repeat cycle). I suspect the number of people using masks correctly and safely is actually very small, which then does raise the question of whether mandating their use was/is a good idea.

Ken H

On Moderation
Without particularly sharing the views of @VauxhallandI, adhering to the law as written would have avoided that diversion of time and energy.
if one is exempt, one is obeying the law. But having signs in shops (yes, you the COOP) saying you must wear a mask is confusing for everyone. These are big companies with large departments of compliance lawyers. no excuse.

Whilst I can’t verify the authenticity of the document, it’s consistent with the advice being given at the time by both the CDC and WHO, even as late as March 2020:

On balance I’m inclined to believe it’s an authentic document, possibly not for public consumption?

I think your post provides a balanced view but my concern is that in the real world many people are wearing masks for hours on end then storing them in pockets, handbags and glove compartments and then wearing them again (repeat cycle). I suspect the number of people using masks correctly and safely is actually very small, which then does raise the question of whether mandating their use was/is a good idea.
A friend is an ambulance paramedic. He thinks masks in the hands of the general public is not helpful. because people dont do it properly. They need changing once per hour, and do not touch while wearing. Dispose of properly (not dump in a supermarket trolley for the next customer. The reusable ones need a hot wash to kill anything in them.
bit may of the masks we see being worn are useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.