• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK face coverings discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristiang85

Established Member
BJ just announced that masks must be worn when not seated in restaurants and pubs. It could be worse but it is still dreadful.

Having been to Germany and Italy in the last month, the rules are the same there. It really is no extra bother really, you just keep it on when being shown to your table or going to the toilet.

But whether it makes any difference when people are already sitting and eating in that space, I'm not so sure.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
As mentioned above, Sadiq Khan is pushing for masks outside too. I fear that he'll probably get his way.

I don’t know, the government sees Khan as being nothing more than a piece of dirt on the shoe. However they could go with it and then blame on him if unpopular I suppose.

Not sure Khan has really contributed anything positive to this, apart from some own goals over TFL, and his obsession with masks. Fortunately he has no actual power.

Scotrail12

Just saw a mask checker on a ScotRail train, really intimidating demeanour, walking at a slow pace, staring at people. Told a person in the row across to put on one.

I swear he used to be a ticket inspector...

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Just saw a mask checker on a train, really intimidating demeanour, walking at a slow pace, staring at people. Told a person in the row across to put on one.
It’s horrendous isn’t it, the way they act. No wonder people are put off travelling by rail if this is the type of atmosphere they’ve come to expect.

I had a mask check today on a WHL train. Was told “no eating”, which will be going in to Scotrail as a complaint. I said it was a legal exemption and the staff member said “it is, but it’s not in the spirit of the rules”.

LowLevel

Established Member
It’s horrendous isn’t it, the way they act. No wonder people are put off travelling by rail if this is the type of atmosphere they’ve come to expect.

I had a mask check today on a WHL train. Was told “no eating”, which will be going in to Scotrail as a complaint. I said it was a legal exemption and the staff member said “it is, but it’s not in the spirit of the rules”.

As a someone who, it seems, is assumed to be a undertaking a mask check every time I walk through the train whether it be to check tickets, do a litter pick or have a pee, I can assure you that for every person who voices some concern about over reaching on masks there are 5 that will chase me down the train or prod me on the arm as I walk past to point out and complain about non compliant individuals. I have literally no interest in either party as it happens. I've now got to the point where I totally blank exemption cards being thrust at me unasked.

Given our trains in the discretionary leisure journey sense are pretty full who should the railway be more bothered about upsetting, I wonder? If the ones that are getting itchy about the non compliant people are the ones putting more money in the till so to speak maybe their view should be valued more because they're easily piled in with the majority "don't give a toss about masks but I don't mind getting on with it" group rather than worry about hypothetical extra persons that might travel otherwise who we can't fit in our miserable tin can anyway.

Personally I just wish people would sod off and leave me to do my job :lol:

greyman42

Established Member
As a someone who, it seems, is assumed to be a undertaking a mask check every time I walk through the train whether it be to check tickets, do a litter pick or have a pee, I can assure you that for every person who voices some concern about over reaching on masks there are 5 that will chase me down the train or prod me on the arm as I walk past to point out and complain about non compliant individuals. I have literally no interest in either party as it happens. I've now got to the point where I totally blank exemption cards being thrust at me unasked.
Before you walk through the train could you not make an announcement, explaining to the passengers that you have no authority regarding mask wearing?

LowLevel

Established Member
Before you walk through the train could you not make an announcement, explaining to the passengers that you have no authority regarding mask wearing?

I make an announcement saying that if someone has an exemption that is their business alone.

In the interest of maintaining my authority when I might need it most at short notice (IE in an emergency) I'm not in the habit of making general announcements that call it into question, I just don't abuse it instead :lol:

Silver Cobra

On the subject of shop staff now having to wear masks by law, I do have to wonder if this only applies for while we are on the shop floor, or if we have to wear them at all times in all parts of the building (so including working in the backrooms and in the staff room/canteen). The idea of having to wear a mask while working on my own for anywhere up to 2 hours in the chilled backroom doesn't exactly fill me with joy.

island

Veteran Member
The regulations are, I think, likely to allow for exemptions when a staff member is behind a partition or other class of solid divider.

westv

Established Member
So from Thursday if you go to a restaurant:-
You wear a mask to walk through the door
You take it off when sat down
You put it on if you go to the toilet
You take it off when you sit back down
You put it on again if you pay at the counter
You take it off when you exit.

DB

So from Thursday if you go to a restaurant:-
You wear a mask to walk through the door
You take it off when sat down
You put it on if you go to the toilet
You take it off when you sit back down
You put it on again if you pay at the counter
You take it off when you exit.

You forgot one:
If you do it properly and use sanitiser every time you touch the mask, you end up with skin complaints due to over-use of sanitiser.

bramling

Veteran Member
You forgot one:
If you do it properly and use sanitiser every time you touch the mask, you end up with skin complaints due to over-use of sanitiser.

And better make sure the table doesn’t have a candle, as at least some hand gels are flammable, so could end up with your hands on fire.

farleigh

Mask wearing in many environments has been mandated for quite a while now.

Has it been very successful in terms of reducing infection rates?

jtuk

As nobody's done any sort of real trials with which you can compare like for like, the only answer is "we don't know" (but probably not)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There is an argument that suggests that they contribute to more asymptomatic cases by reducing viral load. This may or may not be true, there are other things that could cause that e.g. partial T-cell immunity.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

It's unknown, but I highly doubt it. There's a reason why most of those who are pro-mask now talk about their effects in reducing viral load (which does seem much more plausible).

Bikeman78

Established Member
It is not just "contemplated", it is happening; and in an area where masks are NOT compulsory but the local council told parents and schools that the Government guidance is that they "should" be worn. And some parents are desperately trying to convince the schools in that area to make it "mandatory".

Kids are also told they are putting people "at risk" if they do not wear them, again this is despite them not being mandatory [yet].

Some parents also want 'contacts of contacts' to isolate, and indeed for an entire yeargroup to isolate for 2 weeks each time 1 student in that year group tests positive.

The hysterical brigade are incredibly vocal and will not let up their battle any time soon!
Why don't the paranoid parents keep their kids at home and let the rest of us get on with it?

The government plan to set people against each other is clearly working!

Direct your annoyance at the fools who introduced the whole mask thing, not at kids who are ignoring it.
Totally agree. No way I'd have worn a mask six hours per day, five days a week in school.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Indeed. I never realised we had a significant but extremely vocal minority of such authoritarian peo

There is no evidence of this. If they were major factor then I'd like someone to explain why things are so different in Sweden compared to France.

Why don't the paranoid parents keep their kids at home and let the rest of us get on with it?
Some are doing that. Meanwhile, some extremely vocal pro-mask parents' kids are not wearing masks. I am curious to learn what the punishment for not wearing a mask will be when they are mandated....

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Why are you guys so opposed to wearing a mask?
Because there's no evidence they actually work, they are essentially germ-ridden pieces of cloth which can be disgustingly unhygienic if worn for long periods of time, they can be uncomfortable and they are being used to pander to people who we do not believe should be pandered too.

They are causing those who are disabled and have hidden conditions to be visually labelled and they are also causing these people to be regularly challenged by self-appointed vigilantes who believe everyone should be wearing one.

bramling

Veteran Member

Because they have been regarded by medical experts as doing more harm than good when used outside medical settings, and are pretty much impossible to use correctly. Furthermore I find they make inter-personal situations harder to manage, which can be a problem if trying to diffuse a conflict. Finally they’ve proved extremely divisive at a time we could have done without that.

So against these quite significant reasons why masks are a problem, one would expect some pretty compelling evidence to show there’s positive benefits which outweigh these negative factors. That simply hasn’t been forthcoming, instead we get snotty memes and labels like granny killer.

On top of that, there’s people who have a number of reasons why they cannot wear them. These people are now being subject to abuse or being made to feel uncomfortable, which I find unacceptable, especially when the justifications for masks is so weak, and seemingly more focussed on reassurance than genuine value.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

I'm not, I don't mind wearing them (though strictly speaking, I am exempt). I'm dubious of their benefits, but I do accept they might have some (as mentioned, to do with reducing the amount of virus transmitted).

But I think they're utterly dispiriting. When I see a crowd of people all wearing masks, it makes me genuinely upset. They make communication, and relating with others, much more difficult, and the effects of disposable masks on the environment are pretty dire.

And I'm very concerned about the rising number of people who want them to be the "new normal" permanently, usually arguing that this is already the case in Asia. Which really isn't the case, and even if it was, it's a development I'd utterly hate to see.

SignallerJohn

Because they have been regarded by medical experts as doing more harm than good when used outside medical settings, and are pretty much impossible to use correctly. Furthermore I find they make inter-personal situations harder to manage, which can be a problem if trying to diffuse a conflict. Finally they’ve proved extremely divisive at a time we could have done without that.

So against these quite significant reasons why masks are a problem, one would expect some pretty compelling evidence to show there’s positive benefits which outweigh these negative factors. That simply hasn’t been forthcoming, instead we get snotty memes and labels like granny killer.

On top of that, there’s people who have a number of reasons why they cannot wear them. These people are now being subject to abuse or being made to feel uncomfortable, which I find unacceptable, especially when the justifications for masks is so weak, and seemingly more focussed on reassurance than genuine value.
Surely every medical expert you quote can be opposed by other medical experts (similar to Brexit where there was economists on both sides saying differing things) who say actually, just wear a mask? I don’t know what memes you’re talking about so I can’t really comment, maybe I don’t use social media enough.
Because there's no evidence they actually work, they are essentially germ-ridden pieces of cloth which can be disgustingly unhygienic if worn for long periods of time, they can be uncomfortable and they are being used to pander to people who we do not believe should be pandered too.

They are causing those who are disabled and have hidden conditions to be visually labelled and they are also causing these people to be regularly challenged by self-appointed vigilantes who believe everyone should be wearing one.
I don’t do an awful lot of shopping but I haven’t actually seen any vigilantes, most people don’t really care if you haven’t got a mask here so that’s a new one to me.
I'm not, I don't mind wearing them (though strictly speaking, I am exempt). I'm dubious of their benefits, but I do accept they might have some (as mentioned, to do with reducing the amount of virus transmitted).

But I think they're utterly dispiriting. When I see a crowd of people all wearing masks, it makes me genuinely upset. They make communication, and relating with others, much more difficult, and the effects of disposable masks on the environment are pretty dire.

And I'm very concerned about the rising number of people who want them to be the "new normal" permanently, usually arguing that this is already the case in Asia. Which really isn't the case, and even if it was, it's a development I'd utterly hate to see.
You get upset because people are wearing masks?

EDIT:Please note: I’m just wondering why people are vehemently against wearing a face covering and seeing why this is the case. I don’t really have an opinion, I don’t frequent news much so for me it’s wear a mask because they recommend it.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
You get upset because people are wearing masks?

Not visibly upset, but I do find they really get me down. There's something a bit sad about the way they block emotions and cover much of the face. I've found that a surprising number of people think much the same.

At the moment, there is cause for them, and I believe they do more good than harm. But I'd hate to see them become the norm for years to come.

BJames

Established Member
Not visibly upset, but I do find they really get me down. There's something a bit sad about the way they block emotions and cover much of the face. I've found that a surprising number of people think much the same.
I agree with this as well, I hate seeing a faceless society. I do think though that ultimately masks won't last at all long term, past the pandemic. People who want them to stay around are very much in the significant minority and even pro-maskers are wearing them in the hope that it will make the pandemic be over quicker.
I don’t do an awful lot of shopping but I haven’t actually seen any vigilantes, most people don’t really care if you haven’t got a mask here so that’s a new one to me.
They're definitely out there. Some areas much worse than others. I've only seen a couple of mask arguments but I know a fair few on here have witnessed many disagreements and some people attempting to enforce the rules themselves.

LAX54

Established Member

There are more and more signs on doors saying masks MUST be worn, no mention of any exemptions, also we are still seeing a majority of mask wearers doing it all wrong anyway ! below the nose, seems to be the favourite, then there are those that come out of a shop and then take a disposable one off and stuff it in their pocket, and get it out at the next shop, or drop it under their chin between stores, making the wearing pointless ! then there are the 'fiddlers' that keep touching the mask, be it fabric or disposable, have to admit I am guilty of the 'touch' issue sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.