• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Platform 8 s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The old P1-6 were removed, in two stages, and the new island platform was built. What were 7, 8, 9 and 10 became 1, 2, 3 and 4. The new island is 5, 6, 7 and 8. The former 11, 12, 13 and 14 are now 9, 10, 11 and 12.

Straightforward, no?

Not a patch on Stratford. 19 platforms, but no platforms 18 or 19. Platform 3 and 3a serve the same track, but 3 is also next to 5. 6 is next to 8, 12 is next to 2, and 3a is next to 4a, 4b, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17. Don’t try to get a train from 7.

alistairlees

Established Member
Chester has 8 platforms, but only 1-7 are numbered - the other one is out of use.

As an aside, why are national rail making the "stations made easy" maps so bad, and inconsistent.

Compare the original type

With

Which is attrocious

Which is bad

Which is just about ok, but completely inconsistent
The Doncaster one doesn’t even include all the platforms...

cle

Established Member
Ealing Broadway has 9 platforms.
8 is a District, but this should count. It is all above ground, and certainly would if they were numbered in the other direction! Not to mention it once being the original Crossrail ;)

Will Crossrail create any new platform 8s? How about Moorgate - 11 and 12? How are the double-ended stations being numbered?

JBuchananGB

Not a patch on Stratford. 19 platforms, but no platforms 18 or 19. Platform 3 and 3a serve the same track, but 3 is also next to 5. 6 is next to 8, 12 is next to 2, and 3a is next to 4a, 4b, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17. Don’t try to get a train from 7.
Platforms 3, 5, 6, 7 (disused bay) and 8 are the only ones not to have been built, relocated or renumbered in the 60-odd years I’ve been aware of the place. I think! But off topic, sorry.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Doesn't Glasgow Queen Street have only 7 platforms?

It’s got low-level platforms too. I suppose that if Highbury & Islington has tube lines included in it’s 8, Glasgow Queen Street therefore has 9.

For that matter, if deep level tube lines that are counted, don’t tram lines that have platforms within the train station not also count? I.e. Manchester Victoria has 6 platofms, but a further 3 tram platform faces under the same roof. Not many cases where that can happen though.

SteveM70

Established Member
It’s got low-level platforms too. I suppose that if Highbury & Islington has tube lines included in it’s 8, Glasgow Queen Street therefore has 9.

For that matter, if deep level tube lines that are counted, don’t tram lines that have platforms within the train station not also count? I.e. Manchester Victoria has 6 platofms, but a further 3 tram platform faces under the same roof. Not many cases where that can happen though.

Queen Street low level are numbered 8 and 9, but the tram platforms at Victoria are A to C

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Although Platform 8 at Highbury & Islington is one of the East London Line platforms.

gnolife

Established Member
It’s got low-level platforms too. I suppose that if Highbury & Islington has tube lines included in it’s 8, Glasgow Queen Street therefore has 9
There should be no 'I suppose' about it - it's a solid fact that GLQ has 9 platforms.

Veteran Member

The OP asked about platforms numbered 8, though, not about numbers of platforms.

notlob.divad

Established Member
Does Blackpool North still have a Platform 8? Not sure it is in use.

Also are you counting Platform 8 at Folkstone Eurotunnel terminal?

Last edited:

pdeaves

Established Member
I don't know about a definitive list, but the following stations all have trains timetabled to use a platform 8:
  • BARKING
  • BIRMINGHAM NEW STREET
  • BRIGHTON
  • BRISTOL TEMPLE MEADS
  • CAMBRIDGE
  • CARDIFF CENTRAL
  • CARLISLE
  • CLAPHAM JUNCTION
  • CREWE
  • DONCASTER
  • EDINBURGH
  • FINSBURY PARK
  • GLASGOW CENTRAL
  • GLASGOW QUEEN STREET
  • GUILDFORD
  • HIGHBURY & ISLINGTON
  • HUDDERSFIELD
  • LEEDS
  • LIVERPOOL LIME STREET
  • LONDON BRIDGE
  • LONDON EUSTON
  • LONDON KINGS CROSS
  • LONDON LIVERPOOL STREET
  • LONDON PADDINGTON
  • LONDON VICTORIA
  • LONDON WATERLOO
  • MANCHESTER PICCADILLY
  • NEWCASTLE
  • ORPINGTON
  • PLYMOUTH
  • READING
  • SHEFFIELD
  • ST PANCRAS INTERNATIONAL
  • STIRLING
  • STRATFORD
  • WATFORD JUNCTION
  • WIMBLEDON
  • YORK
Edit: This list comes from a timetable database I have, so only covers "national rail" stations. It also won't include any stations where trains aren't allocated platforms in the timetable.
Others may have covered these already, but I find these in addition to your list:
Blackpool North
Bridlington
London St Pancras Eastern Interim Station (not in use now)
Moorgate
Newcastle
Rugby (not in use now)
Stirling
Stratford
Vauxhall
(Sorry it's in a table, I couldn't find a way to get rid of that!)

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Others may have covered these already, but I find these in addition to your list:
Blackpool North
Bridlington
Moorgate
Newcastle
Rugby (not in use now)
Stirling
Stratford
Vauxhall

Blackpool North no longer has a Platform 8 since electrification.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Blackpool North
Bridlington
Moorgate
Newcastle
Rugby (not in use now)
Stirling
Stratford
Vauxhall

Blackpool’s 8 is not an operational platform.
Not sure what you mean by St Pancras ‘Interim’ station - that went over a decade ago
Rugby doesn’t have an 8 now.
Newcastle Stirling and Stratford are on the list you quoted
I mentioned Vauxhall earlier
@Ianno87 mentioned Moorgate (although we will disagree on its applicability)

Bridlington is a fair cop! Another one to the list.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What numbering change caused that to happen? I highly doubt 6 new platforms were built in one go, were they?
Platforms 1-6 were bays and were removed a few at a time following transfer of most of the relevant services to the Metro. The old P7 was the only north and east facing bay retained, it became P1. A number of routes also became through services using the new build island platform 5-8. The island platform faces are dual numbered for sharing by short trains, and provided four “platforms” at one go. The west facing bays were renumbered from 9 upwards, they’d previously been 11 upwards.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
Bank/Monument Station has a platform 8

And it's on the Waterloo and City Line, formerly part of the national network so should surely count :D

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Bank/Monument Station has a platform 8

And it's on the Waterloo and City Line, formerly part of the national network so should surely count :D

Doesn't it still get Traction Power from Raynes Park sub-station? :)

ABB125

Established Member
Bridlington is a fair cop! Another one to the list.
I did wonder about places like this (basically any seaside town!) which no longer have 8 platforms, but used to, with the result that there might still be one numbered 8. I couldn't think of any off the top of my head, but I've now had a look. Unfortunately, only Brighton and Bridlington still have a number 8, and have both been mentioned. (Bognor Regis, Littlehampton, Eastbourne, Shoeburyness, Clacton, Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth, Skegness, Cleethorpes, Southport, Hull and Scarborough don't meet the requirements unfortunately. Although I will give Skegness and Hull honourary mention for having 7!) Richmond also only has 7.

Old Oak Common, Bletchley and East Croydon should have at least 8 in the future (I think).

Did Shrewsbury, Perth, Aberdeen or Inverness every have an 8?

I don’t think Bridlington’s platform 8 is operational- it it 4-6 or 5-7 at Bridlington?

Blackpool as mentioned above had 8 for many years and didn’t require them though I always found trains arrived and departed at random platforms, once I was there in a queue with barriers Royal Mail and PO would be proud of waiting at platform 3 door for a train that was on platform 7 announce as platform 6 during the refurbishment works

Last edited:

matchmaker

Established Member
I did wonder about places like this (basically any seaside town!) which no longer have 8 platforms, but used to, with the result that there might still be one numbered 8. I couldn't think of any off the top of my head, but I've now had a look. Unfortunately, only Brighton and Bridlington still have a number 8, and have both been mentioned. (Bognor Regis, Littlehampton, Eastbourne, Shoeburyness, Clacton, Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth, Skegness, Cleethorpes, Southport, Hull and Scarborough don't meet the requirements unfortunately. Although I will give Skegness and Hull honourary mention for having 7!) Richmond also only has 7.

Old Oak Common, Bletchley and East Croydon should have at least 8 in the future (I think).

Did Shrewsbury, Perth, Aberdeen or Inverness every have an 8?
Aberdeen used to have 13.

SteveM70

Established Member
Do any of the stations with a platform 0 have 8 platforms, just numbered 0 to 7?

AndyW33

Certainly used to, still could have if the through platform currently known as RES was formally reinstated as a full-time passenger platform (it was the original Platform 2) and/or the north facing bay made out of the old through platform 1 was reinstated. Or if bays 3C and 4C were given their own numbers as they would have at most stations. But at the moment it only has platforms numbered 1 to 7.

philthetube

Established Member
Amazing, I am not that well travelled either but only Huddersfield and Stirling missing for me, and I am surprised I have never been to Huddersfield.

D365

Veteran Member
My lucky number so it's my quest to get a selfie at all of them
My lucky number is 14, so it's a bit easier to get all my platforms ;)

I try to get photographs of units or locomotives numbered 014, where I can. Not possible with the Class 332 now sadly!

Status
Not open for further replies.