• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Platform 8 s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
I did wonder about places like this (basically any seaside town!) which no longer have 8 platforms, but used to, with the result that there might still be one numbered 8. I couldn't think of any off the top of my head, but I've now had a look. Unfortunately, only Brighton and Bridlington still have a number 8, and have both been mentioned. (Bognor Regis, Littlehampton, Eastbourne, Shoeburyness, Clacton, Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth, Skegness, Cleethorpes, Southport, Hull and Scarborough don't meet the requirements unfortunately. Although I will give Skegness and Hull honourary mention for having 7!) Richmond also only has 7.

Old Oak Common, Bletchley and East Croydon should have at least 8 in the future (I think).

Did Shrewsbury, Perth, Aberdeen or Inverness every have an 8?
As a bit of an odd ball I believe that the current platform 1 at Crystal Palace (low level) station was previously Platform 8

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Sorry if I have missed it up thread, but West Ham has 8 platforms including Jubilee, District and DLR alongside National Rail.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
If you do include Underground stations, then in addition to some already mentioned:
At Bank, one of the Waterloo & City platforms

whether or not Underground platforms are included in the overall station sequence is inconsistent. Eg at Highbury & Islington Platform 8 happens because the Victoria line is included in the sequence (as 3 & 5), and at West Ham the National Rail platforms are 7&8. Meanwhile at Waterloo as a hangover of them being British Rail the Waterloo & City platforms are 25 &26 whilst the Northern, Bakerloo and Jubilee form their own sequence of 1-6

An oddity i just noticed- at Liverpool Street, the Central Line is platforms 4&5, with the subsurface lines being 1&2. Platform 3 being very much an ex-platform!

Further Underground (there's not many)- Baker Street, Bakerloo southbound

plugwash

Established Member
I don't spend much time in London, but I don't recall obvious platform numbers at the London underground stations I have used. Underground platforms seem to be mostly identified by line, direction and if-necessary destination or route.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sorry if I have missed it up thread, but West Ham has 8 platforms including Jubilee, District and DLR alongside National Rail.

Where the platform for C2C services towards Barking is numbered 8 according to RTT (platform 7 is the one towards Fenchurch Street).

D1024

Aberdeen used to have 13

Where abouts were they located? I'm guessing on the site now occupied by either South College St car park or the BT offices...
Platforms 10-13 were Bay platforms at the north end (East of whats now Platform 6North) - used by Great North of Scotland trains when the GNSR system was extensive. They were filled in in the early 1970's - part became a car park/taxi rank. Platform 8 and 9 still exist though not in use (8 is the other side of island P7) 9 is on the College St side. Network rail does have plans to reopen both as part of ongoing redevelopment apparently.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Rochdale used to have a platform 8 until the mid 1970s. The remains of the former up island platform are still there. Not sure if platform 8 was one of the bays on there, or the up through slow line platform.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It’s worth noting on that list Clapham Junction platform 8 is deemed out of use.
Very occasionally trains stop at platform 8. Usually relates to some kind of disruption. I've been on more than one train to stop there. It is extremely rare though.

Red Onion

Platforms 10-13 were Bay platforms at the north end (East of whats now Platform 6North) - used by Great North of Scotland trains when the GNSR system was extensive. They were filled in in the early 1970's - part became a car park/taxi rank. Platform 8 and 9 still exist though not in use (8 is the other side of island P7) 9 is on the College St side. Network rail does have plans to reopen both as part of ongoing redevelopment apparently.

Trying to keep it on topic but I swear I saw the fencing had been removed between 7 & 8 recently meaning that should the OP be so inclined, he could stand on 8 for a selfie. Admittedly there’s no track adjacent to the platform or a platform number but they’re just details...

Unless of course I’m making it all up! :lol:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I don't spend much time in London, but I don't recall obvious platform numbers at the London underground stations I have used. Underground platforms seem to be mostly identified by line, direction and if-necessary destination or route
Commonly as you approach a point where a passage splits to more than one platform (or at the top or bottom of stairs leading to a platform), where there's a line diagram they use the platform number. Eg like this (not my photo)

And then, on line diagrams facing the platform across the track? There's the number

It is always subsidiary information so it isn't quite so obvious, but it is common.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Will Crossrail create any new platform 8s? How about Moorgate - 11 and 12? How are the double-ended stations being numbered?
CrossRail central core platforms are lettered A B etc

Barking has nine platforms served by trains with only eight numbered.

Mikey C

Established Member
CrossRail central core platforms are lettered A B etc

Barking has nine platforms served by trains with only eight numbered.
The Thameslink platforms at St Pancras are A and B also, as were the old Kings Cross Thameslink platforms

paul1609

Established Member
Waterloo Easts platforms are A - D to avoid confusion with the bay platforms on the Bournemouth Branch.

RyanOPlasty

Huddersfield has a platform 8, but is missing platforms 3 and 7, apparently a platform 9 is now planned.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I assume they'll be renumbered when the upgrade happens, as they'll be replacing the signalling too. Not been confirmed as yet though.

What problem does that actually solve? Passengers are fully familiar with the current numbering and can way-find accordingly; some probably don't even know there are numbers missing in the sequence.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
What problem does that actually solve? Passengers are fully familiar with the current numbering and can way-find accordingly; some probably don't even know there are numbers missing in the sequence.
It's a bit off-topic for this thread, but the upgrade plans see fairly significant changes to the layout at Huddersfield. West-facing bay platforms 5 & 6 will be removed and presumably filled in, with a new through platform and bay on the site of the DMU sidings beyond P8. Current plans also add a footbridge to either replace or supplement the existing subway. With such radical change, it would be daft to NOT renumber the platforms.

Wynd

Hopefully in the not too distant future Aberdeen may be added to this list with the potential re-opening of Platforms 8 & 9.

philthetube

Established Member
If you don't change things like this when convenient you end up with a less and less intuitive railway, making it harder for new starters to learn everything they need to know.

It costs virtually nothing to do and makes life easier in the future so why not.

matchmaker

Established Member
There should be no 'I suppose' about it - it's a solid fact that GLQ has 9 platforms.
Queen Street used to have 11 platforms - 1-7 in the high level and 8-11 in the low level. Following electrification in 1960 only two low level platforms remained, numbered 10 & 11. A number of years ago these were renumbered 8 & 9.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I don’t think Bridlington’s platform 8 is operational- it it 4-6 or 5-7 at Bridlington?

The operational platforms are 4-6.

Platform 7 and 8 are still extant tho, and one of them, I think 8, still has some track in it that is connected to the running lines. Until the imminent signalling works take place that is!

Morayshire

Trying to keep it on topic but I swear I saw the fencing had been removed between 7 & 8 recently meaning that should the OP be so inclined, he could stand on 8 for a selfie. Admittedly there’s no track adjacent to the platform or a platform number but they’re just details...

Unless of course I’m making

Unless of course I’m making it all up! :lol:
Fence was removed from early 2018 onwards. First part came down when Carillion started resurfacing Platform 7 South and the rest when Platform 7 North had its canopy reinstated (mainly done in 2019- think it was done by Storey)

The headshunt for the wash plant now runs between what was platform 8 and 9 so you could get a selfie with a train using the headshunt.

Legolash2o

According to a quick query, which is hopefully correct...

• Barking
  • Birmingham New Street
  • Bridlington
  • Brighton
  • Bristol Temple Meads
  • Cambridge
  • Cardiff Central
  • Carlisle
  • Clapham Junction (M)
  • Crewe
  • Doncaster
  • Edinburgh
  • Glasgow Central High Level
  • Highbury & Islington (North London Lines)
  • Huddersfield
  • Leeds
  • Liverpool Lime Street HL/ML
  • London Bridge
  • London Euston
  • London Kings Cross
  • London Liverpool Street
  • London Paddington
  • London Victoria (C)
  • London Waterloo
  • Manchester Piccadilly
  • Newcastle
  • Orpington
  • Plymouth
  • Reading
  • Sheffield
  • St. Pancras International
  • Stirling
  • Stratford
  • Vauxhall
  • Watford Junction
  • West Ham High Level
  • Wimbledon
  • York
The operational platforms are 4-6.

Platform 7 and 8 are still extant tho, and one of them, I think 8, still has some track in it that is connected to the running lines. Until the imminent signalling works take place that is!

According to the Sectional Appendix, platform 8 is secured out of use. Do you have any info/links about the signalling works please?

Parallel

Established Member
According to a quick query, which is hopefully correct...

• Barking
  • Birmingham New Street
  • Bridlington
  • Brighton
  • Bristol Temple Meads
  • Cambridge
  • Cardiff Central
  • Carlisle
  • Clapham Junction (M)
  • Crewe
  • Doncaster
  • Edinburgh
  • Glasgow Central High Level
  • Highbury & Islington (North London Lines)
  • Huddersfield
  • Leeds
  • Liverpool Lime Street HL/ML
  • London Bridge
  • London Euston
  • London Kings Cross
  • London Liverpool Street
  • London Paddington
  • London Victoria (C)
  • London Waterloo
  • Manchester Piccadilly
  • Newcastle
  • Orpington
  • Plymouth
  • Reading
  • Sheffield
  • St. Pancras International
  • Stirling
  • Stratford
  • Vauxhall
  • Watford Junction
  • West Ham High Level
  • Wimbledon
  • York

According to the Sectional Appendix, platform 8 is secured out of use. Do you have any info/links about the signalling works please?

And Glasgow Queen Street. Platform 8 is one of the low level platforms.

Veteran Member
And the current platform 8 was I believe the linked "Cardiff Riverside" station.
The island platform at Riverside curved sharply away from the present platform 8 - I think you are right that it was number 8 (and 9).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
How about platforms that would have been P8 in a past life? I propose Manors present up platform, which used to be the down Tynemouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.