• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Rail Log Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Train

Established Member
Today, I have added a "Heritage Calendar" to the site. This will detail the many events that are on offer at the many Heritage/Preserved Railways around the UK as we hopefully continue the current stagger towards a lockdown exit.

I am communicating with the railways directly and I am currently receiving lots of positive feedback with regards to them supplying me event information in the future as they announce it. Obviously that is not so easy at the moment but I have got a few events loaded up (all with the relevant covid caveats of course) and hopefully this will grow in the coming weeks. If you have any information to add then feel free to let me know and I will get it uploaded.

Whilst making the final changes to the site to get this live today, I have also made some changes to the menu on the Home Page (the red buttons not the menu in the header) to tidy that up a bit (and to allow me to fit everything in haha). I think it is an improvement but I am biased - hopefully you guys will too :)

As ever, feedback is appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
Today, I have added a "Heritage Calendar" to the site. This will detail the many events that are on offer at the many Heritage/Preserved Railways around the UK as we hopefully continue the current stagger towards a lockdown exit.

I am communicating with the railways directly and I am currently receiving lots of positive feedback with regards to them supplying me event information in the future as they announce it. Obviously that is not so easy at the moment but I have got a few events loaded up (all with the relevant covid caveats of course) and hopefully this will grow in the coming weeks. If you have any information to add then feel free to let me know and I will get it uploaded.

Whilst making the final changes to the site to get this live today, I have also made some changes to the menu on the Home Page (the red buttons not the menu in the header) to tidy that up a bit (and to allow me to fit everything in haha). I think it is an improvement but I am biased - hopefully you guys will too :)

As ever, feedback is appreciated!
This is a great addition to your site. Nice one!

The_Train

Established Member
This is a great addition to your site. Nice one!
Thanks mate, glad it's of use :)
Apologies for the delay in responding, didn't want to until I had something else to post because that merge thread thing that happens on here these days.

Anyway, to anyone who sees this, I'm on the hunt for up to date pics for the Loco Logs section - https://www.ukraillog.co.uk/locomotive-log-home - to fill the photo gaps on the locos loaded up already. If anyone has any they are willing to allow me to use (you'll receive full credit) then let me know :)

---------------------------------------BELOW POSTED ON 22/03/21----------------------------------------
I've plucked these posts from https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/class-321-withdrawal-updates.212237/page-9 and thought I better respond in this thread instead of running the risk of getting a slap on the wrist for going "off topic" in that thread ;)
https://www.ukraillog.co.uk/ is a good website to track the status of fleets.
321366, 363 and 349 are the latest casualties of the scrapyard
Thank you for your kind words :)
It is showing 321.406 as stored at Parkeston, however, 406 was in service on Friday (19/3)

Also, 430 was at Clacton C.S.D
Keeping up to date with all unit movements (especially at the moment with so much change happening) is nigh on impossible for me as I don't have any inside knowledge and rely on user input along with the multitude of sources I have found. Movements of units between Ilford-Clacton-Harwich are not typically seen as big news so won't be discussed as much as a move to Sims (for example) and so I struggle to find that sort of info regularly. You posting this sort of info is a massive help as it allows me to update the site and that is what I have done with 430 which should now show as at Clacton :)

As for 406, warm store is obviously somewhere between a total store and totally in use and the units could be called on for a day before heading back into store or they could be back out for weeks. Again, it is nigh on impossible to keep up with that sort of info (and I would be reluctant to change it back to active on the basis of it being out for a day) so I think I shall add "Warm Store" as a status in it's own right and add a note detailing that warm store can mean a return to service at any point.

A note to all - as always, I am open to suggestions with regards to ways of improving the site. It is after all something I have built for the community and would love it to be a resource that I manage and maintain with the help of the community :D

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
I've not yet sorted my railway photos but when I get around to finding the half-decent ones, I'll send you some of them. Have you made much more progress with the site recently @The_Train?

-Peter

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
@The_Train

I'm new to your site and at first glance, it's great - and it's great what you're doing. As you know, I was relying to @class321 as I happened to be in Clacton and gave my "Mark 1 eyeball" observations. Initially, I got the impression he didn't believe me...

I appreciate that sites can never be fully up to date and unit status might change day to day but do keep up the good work. Certainly a massive undertaking both in time and effort !

class321

@The_Train

I'm new to your site and at first glance, it's great - and it's great what you're doing. As you know, I was relying to @class321 as I happened to be in Clacton and gave my "Mark 1 eyeball" observations. Initially, I got the impression he didn't believe me...

I appreciate that sites can never be fully up to date and unit status might change day to day but do keep up the good work. Certainly a massive undertaking both in time and effort !
I apologise for not believing you initially but I do see what you mean by it not being up to date.

The_Train

Established Member
@The_Train

Well I for one am quite happy that @class321 was more believing of my site than you......even though I was out of date in this case ;) :lol:

In all seriousness, I don't want you to think I was having a go. Quite the opposite and I wanted to jump on your (indirect) supply of info - in this case your eyeballing of the 321 in question - as a major plus for the site to be kept as updated as possible and also as a bit of a way of showing others that I do take on board this sort of 'gen' and it will be used. User supplied 'gen' is something that I want to be a major part of the project going forward, especially as we are all able to get out and about more in the coming months.....hopefully!!! :)

I've not yet sorted my railway photos but when I get around to finding the half-decent ones, I'll send you some of them. Have you made much more progress with the site recently @The_Train?

-Peter
Thanks Peter, photo's would be really handy for the loco log section. @221101 Voyager has been really helpful with photo's of 90s so a good chunk of those in the log section are now up to date photos. He is also working hard on another aspect of the site which I am hoping to go live with soon but will keep that under wraps for now. Safe to say that I owe him big time for the contribution he is currently making :D

In the mean-time I have made a few amendments to a couple of areas of the site over the weekend just gone, one of which I am going to be seeking a bit of feedback on. However, on the grounds that I have messed up what I asked of you in that last PM by answering another message before yours (d'oh) and the fact it is now after midnight and my eyes are hurting I shall leave it until tomorrow to post details of this change and the feedback I require :)

Last edited:

class321

By any chance, is this a good place to ask for information on specific units such as where it is heading to and what time is it running? Thanks for answering in advance.

The_Train

Established Member
By any chance, is this a good place to ask for information on specific units such as where it is heading to and what time is it running? Thanks for answering in advance.
No, you need either of these 2 threads for that sort of thing:

class321

No, you need either of these 2 threads for that sort of thing:

Cool, thanks.

If 425 is stored at Harwich, then it must be in warm storage.

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member

-Peter
Back to this that I said I would answer properly yesterday but never got round to it.

I have recently updated a couple of parts of the site. The Locomotive Fleet Data menu has been amended so that all buttons are now visible without the need for scrolling - this is only a minor change but I was changing some things on the actual fleet data pages and thought I'd try and improve the menu page as well.
The main thing I have done recently is a change to how the search results are shown for "scrapped" locomotives. To see an example of the changes then 60006 or 91132 are ideal candidates but what I have done is change it so that scrapped loco's now show details of previous operators, liveries etc instead of just showing blank gaps where the current operator etc would show.

This is where user feedback comes in as I have 2 options for this now. I can either show all previous data (with no restriction on timescale) or just the last pieces of data (showing just the loco's last operator, livery etc) - my personal preference would be for it to just show the last data because showing all previous data could create an endless list for one particular loco (and all of this is housed in the fleet data pages anyway) but I thought I'd take on board feedback before I finalise the design so feel free to let me know your thoughts everybody :)

Peter C

Established Member
Back to this that I said I would answer properly yesterday but never got round to it.

I have recently updated a couple of parts of the site. The Locomotive Fleet Data menu has been amended so that all buttons are now visible without the need for scrolling - this is only a minor change but I was changing some things on the actual fleet data pages and thought I'd try and improve the menu page as well.
The main thing I have done recently is a change to how the search results are shown for "scrapped" locomotives. To see an example of the changes then 60006 or 91132 are ideal candidates but what I have done is change it so that scrapped loco's now show details of previous operators, liveries etc instead of just showing blank gaps where the current operator etc would show.

This is where user feedback comes in as I have 2 options for this now. I can either show all previous data (with no restriction on timescale) or just the last pieces of data (showing just the loco's last operator, livery etc) - my personal preference would be for it to just show the last data because showing all previous data could create an endless list for one particular loco (and all of this is housed in the fleet data pages anyway) but I thought I'd take on board feedback before I finalise the design so feel free to let me know your thoughts everybody :)
Now this sounds like a nice set of changes. Having only previous data for scrapped engines makes more sense I think; lots of the changes you've made seem to be about ease-of-use (which I think is a good thing) and this is another one of those.

-Peter :)

The_Train

Established Member
Now this sounds like a nice set of changes. Having only previous data for scrapped engines makes more sense I think; lots of the changes you've made seem to be about ease-of-use (which I think is a good thing) and this is another one of those.

-Peter :)
Thanks Peter - I think that now the data is loaded up, it is giving me more chance to focus on the layouts!
Out of interest, which of the 2 options I put forward would you suggest as the best to move forward with?

The_Train

Established Member
Has class 321402 been in service at all?
As far as my records go, it remains in active service but that could have changed and I've not heard about it.
You really are better posting this sort of request in the TOPS request threads as there are people in there who have access to the necessary systems to give you up to date info. Obviously if you do obtain info that suggests my info is incorrect then feel free to share it with me :)

class321

As far as my records go, it remains in active service but that could have changed and I've not heard about it.
You really are better posting this sort of request in the TOPS request threads as there are people in there who have access to the necessary systems to give you up to date info. Obviously if you do obtain info that suggests my info is incorrect then feel free to share it with me :)
Thanks for the reply, I asked that because someone told me that 321402 had gone to scrap, but if I do find information that say differently then I'll share it :)

The_Train

Established Member
Thanks for the reply, I asked that because someone told me that 321402 had gone to scrap, but if I do find information that say differently then I'll share it :)
Well the last upload to Flickr of it was from 18 Feb and it was in service then. I'd be amazed if it had gone to scrap and there was no reporting of it in the 321 Withdrawal thread and no pics of it being dragged to the scrap yard (not a definitive way of deciding if something has gone to scrap but both of those things usually happen when a unit is dragged to it's doom)

class321

Well the last upload to Flickr of it was from 18 Feb and it was in service then. I'd be amazed if it had gone to scrap and there was no reporting of it in the 321 Withdrawal thread and no pics of it being dragged to the scrap yard (not a definitive way of deciding if something has gone to scrap but both of those things usually happen when a unit is dragged to it's doom)
321402.jpg24/2/21

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
I have now added to the 'Heritage' section of the website with a new page for Heritage News - https://www.ukraillog.co.uk/heritage-news
I will post any infrastructure, traction or rolling stock news updates on here as and when I spot them or am sent them.
As always, if you have some news (maybe seen in local press etc) then please let me know so I can add it to the site.

I will post any infrastructure, traction or rolling stock news updates on here as and when I spot them or am sent them.
As always, if you have some news (maybe seen in local press etc) then please let me know so I can add it to the site.

Hopefully this will be another useful addition to the site for those of you with an interest in the Heritage sector.

As ever, feedback and suggestions are welcomed - on this new page and anything else :)

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
I have now added to the 'Heritage' section of the website with a new page for Heritage News - https://www.ukraillog.co.uk/heritage-news

[...]

Hopefully this will be another useful addition to the site for those of you with an interest in the Heritage sector.

As ever, feedback and suggestions are welcomed - on this new page and anything else :)
Just seen this on Twitter - I really like this addition as I find it hard to keep track of all sorts of heritage railway news! The bit you've currently got on there on the MSLR was particularly interesting as I've got an interest in the line following a holiday in the area a couple of years ago. I'll send in things if I find them!

-Peter

The_Train

Established Member
Thanks as always for your feedback @Peter C

I come with another update - this time a new and improved Must See section.
After the idea was suggested to me at the start of lockdown 1 when the NHS/mask liveries started to appear I quickly composed a page which was text only, detailing the liveries out there which are ones we'd all like to see. I always knew it needed improving and hopefully that is what we have done now....

I can't take too much credit for this though. A few months back, I was approached on twitter by someone with an idea of improving the page and the new idea was born. I don't know if he uses this forum but his Twitter is @TDesignsFC and they produce railway related merchandise (primarily been face coverings during the pandemic) - he got the ball rolling with the diagrams and then following this that mantle was taken on by our very own @221101 Voyager who I dragged into this after seeing diagrams on his Flickr. He has produced so many in a short space of time that it has literally blown my mind and enabled me to go live with this page in time for the further easing of restrictions tomorrow when more of us may get out onto the railways. I have to say a massive thanks to both of these guys because they didn't have to do any of this and have received nothing in return - this is the real positive end of our community for these 2 to take time out of their own lives to help my little project :)

The new look Must See section can be accessed via the Must See button on the Home page or direct at https://www.ukraillog.co.uk/must-see/locomotives

I usually say at this point that feedback is welcome - but I love it and so you will have to put forward a good case for me to make any changes ;) :D

Peter C

Established Member

After the idea was suggested to me at the start of lockdown 1 when the NHS/mask liveries started to appear I quickly composed a page which was text only, detailing the liveries out there which are ones we'd all like to see. I always knew it needed improving and hopefully that is what we have done now....

I can't take too much credit for this though. A few months back, I was approached on twitter by someone with an idea of improving the page and the new idea was born. I don't know if he uses this forum but his Twitter is @TDesignsFC and they produce railway related merchandise (primarily been face coverings during the pandemic) - he got the ball rolling with the diagrams and then following this that mantle was taken on by our very own @221101 Voyager who I dragged into this after seeing diagrams on his Flickr. He has produced so many in a short space of time that it has literally blown my mind and enabled me to go live with this page in time for the further easing of restrictions tomorrow when more of us may get out onto the railways. I have to say a massive thanks to both of these guys because they didn't have to do any of this and have received nothing in return - this is the real positive end of our community for these 2 to take time out of their own lives to help my little project :)

The new look Must See section can be accessed via the Must See button on the Home page or direct at https://www.ukraillog.co.uk/must-see/locomotives

I usually say at this point that feedback is welcome - but I love it and so you will have to put forward a good case for me to make any changes ;) :D
You're very welcome :)
I've just had a look through that updated section and it's excellent. The way it's been laid out is really user-friendly. Those diagrams are super - good work @221101 Voyager! It all goes to show that the railway-enthusiast community isn't all doom-and-gloom as some people like to suggest.

-Peter

221101 Voyager

Established Member

I can't take too much credit for this though. A few months back, I was approached on twitter by someone with an idea of improving the page and the new idea was born. I don't know if he uses this forum but his Twitter is @TDesignsFC and they produce railway related merchandise (primarily been face coverings during the pandemic) - he got the ball rolling with the diagrams and then following this that mantle was taken on by our very own @[B]221101 Voyager who I dragged into this after seeing diagrams on his Flickr. He has produced so many in a short space of time that it has literally blown my mind and enabled me to go live with this page in time for the further easing of restrictions tomorrow when more of us may get out onto the railways. I have to say a massive thanks to both of these guys[/B] because they didn't have to do any of this and have received nothing in return - this is the real positive end of our community for these 2 to take time out of their own lives to help my little project :)

Thank you for your kind words! :D;)

You're very welcome :)
I've just had a look through that updated section and it's excellent. The way it's been laid out is really user-friendly. Those diagrams are super - good work @221101 Voyager! It all goes to show that the railway-enthusiast community isn't all doom-and-gloom as some people like to suggest.

-Peter
Thank you very much Peter, I'm glad you like them! :D

greatvoyager

Established Member
I checked out the UK Rail Log website earlier, must say I’m impressed with the layout, and I like the news updates.

The_Train

Established Member
I've now updated the search results pages. Loco's/units that have been scrapped now show details regarding their final operator, livery etc instead of just blank spaces. I have also amended the layout of the pages quite considerably whilst I was at it so the vertical orange boxes have now been replaced with a more stylish horizontal design which is hopefully easier on the eye

I checked out the UK Rail Log website earlier, must say I’m impressed with the layout, and I like the news updates.
Thank you :)

Established Member
I've now updated the search results pages. Loco's/units that have been scrapped now show details regarding their final operator, livery etc instead of just blank spaces. I have also amended the layout of the pages quite considerably whilst I was at it so the vertical orange boxes have now been replaced with a more stylish horizontal design which is hopefully easier on the eye

Thank you :)

Keep up the good work on what's a very useful resource, please feel free to use any of the fleet surveys on my blog for updating the records your website if you wish.

I was wondering if you plan to make the unit tables sortable at some point in the future?

The_Train

Established Member
Keep up the good work on what's a very useful resource, please feel free to use any of the fleet surveys on my blog for updating the records your website if you wish.

I was wondering if you plan to make the unit tables sortable at some point in the future?
Thanks for the use of your fleet survey's - I shall check them out later :)

How do you mean by making the unit tables sortable?

You’re welcome :D

Will there be a way to filter news by operator or unit in the future?
I could definitely filter by operator/unit on each date if that is what you mean?
Anything beyond that ie filtering so you can search all news on all dates by a specific operator will require more code learning from me haha

greatvoyager

Established Member
I could definitely filter by operator/unit on each date if that is what you mean?
Anything beyond that ie filtering so you can search all news on all dates by a specific operator will require more code learning from me haha
Yep, that’s what I meant.
Keep up the good work, as the website has been quite helpful and informative :D

Established Member
Thanks for the use of your fleet survey's - I shall check them out later :)

How do you mean by making the unit tables sortable?

No problem. :)

Apologies, what I meant with the multiple unit tables was, we can (very usefully) sort the tables for locomotive classes by various criteria such as operator, depot, livery etc. I was thinking that would be really useful to have for the DMU/DEMU/EMU/BMU class tables too.

Status
Not open for further replies.