• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unable to get renew Priv loaded onto Oyster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Hi there is currently a ridiculous situation where I've tried three mainline stations to get my Priv loaded onto Oyster (for LO, London TOCS other than my own group etc) to be told that they have had the Oyster equipment removed.

They say to go to a TFL gate line but the staff there say that the new type Staff Leisure travel card is not on the sheets of various card types.

Any ideas of who to go to?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Based on last year and this year's experience I'd try asking at a tube station which doesn't have NR interchange. I've been declined both years at Kings Cross St Pancras and Euston LU as staff say they are not permitted to perform the function, but at smaller stations the staff have been happy to update the discount entitlement.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Based on last year and this year's experience I'd try asking at a tube station which doesn't have NR interchange. I've been declined both years at Kings Cross St Pancras and Euston LU as staff say they are not permitted to perform the function, but at smaller stations the staff have been happy to update the discount entitlement.
I've tried Embankment, no luck there. Surely Rail Delivery Group can sort this mess out?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Non-safeguarded priv cannot be done at LUL stations. It seems the FASTIS replacement at Overground stations is causing mayhem this year if you read posts in the farcebook group so definitely not just you.

St Pancras Thameslink ticket office is always a good one. Worth a try if not yet done.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
St Pancras Thameslink ticket office is always a good one. Worth a try if not yet done.
Not any more.

I've had someone on my site with the same problem. TfL have sent out a reminder to LO stations explaining what to do. My case ended up successfully getting it done at Shepherd's Bush LO; bizarrely it was done in the ticket office.

MDB1images

Apologies of this is the wrong thread.
I'm now going to have to reapply for Priv on my Oyster as the card will have expired due lockdown.
I've got the forms back ready to go.
I'm safeguarded and last time I just showed one of the Underground Gate line staff at Euston my Priv card boxes and he got one of the other staff members to put the discount on my oyster card, are the issues above in this thread related to this or is this a different issue?

Was gonna nip down to London next week to get it all done, from the above posts would that be a wasted journey?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Safeguarded staff should be able to get the discount added/updated at London Underground stations, assuming there's a member of staff on duty with the necessary credentials to access the staff screens on the POMs.

Non-safeguarded staff can now only get it done at Overground/TfL Rail stations that have Cubic TVMs installed, as they're in the process of migrating from Cubic FasTIS to Worldline MTIS for their Ticket Office machines. Again, it relies on the member of staff having a login to access the staff screens, however.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Again, it relies on the member of staff having a login to access the staff screens, however.
Yes, outside of ticket office opening hours, if there's only someone on gateline security, you're likely to be turned away.

I think Shepherd's Bush is worth a try; it has LO and LU stations across the road from each other, so regardless of whether you're safeguarded or not, you should be able to get it sorted there.

thedbdiboy

I've tried Embankment, no luck there. Surely Rail Delivery Group can sort this mess out?
Unfortunately RDG has no power at all to insist on TfL doing something - it's all by agreement. Unfortunately TfL has rolled out a ticket office machine upgrade at exactly the same time that non-Safeguarded priv Oysters need renewing. From what I understand it will be resolved as TfL LO staff get the training needed to perform the Oyster priv renewal but the timing is a real mess-up.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Does New Cross, or other East London line LO Station have the correct machines, could I get it done there?

GC class B1

I got my safeguarded Oyster card updated at St Pancras metropolitan line gate where a helpful member of staff accessed the public ticket machine. I had my staff travel card and completed form from staff travel With me presented these. I scanned my oyster card, the LUL person entered the details and I then scanned my Oyster card again and it was updated for this year.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I got my safeguarded Oyster card updated at St Pancras metropolitan line gate where a helpful member of staff accessed the public ticket machine. I had my staff travel card and completed form from staff travel With me presented these. I scanned my oyster card, the LUL person entered the details and I then scanned my Oyster card again and it was updated for this year.
Yes, safeguarded staff don't have the same problem that non-safeguarded staff have.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I don't know but a colleague went to Maryland to get his done because apparently they were still able to do it
What about Crystal Palace or Abbey Wood- that's TFL?

Another option, the most common Oyster journeys I do that are not with my own TOC group are with South West, can I get one of their smart cards and get Priv loaded on that?

Last edited:

OliverH68

Another option, the most common Oyster journeys I do that are not with my own TOC group are with South West, can I get one of their smart cards and get Priv loaded on that?
Norwood Junction can do it, friend of mine got his done there.

v199629

Priv discount can only be loaded on oyster, not TOC smartcard product.

I had my NR only priv loaded onto the oyster 19th June at Hackney Central, 2 days before they remove the oyster reader from the ticket office. I think LO staff are trained to load the NR only priv at ticket machines from now on.

Cambus731

I'm safeguarded and when I enquired about this, it turned out I had to jump through so many hoops, I decided not to bother. I very rarely use the Underground and when I do use national rail services in London, I'm almost always using a box.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
RDG have just put an update on their website over this. Just basically confirming they know there is an issue and working with TFL to resolve.

westcoaster

Established Member
Just done mine this morning at London Bridge LU ticket machine's.
I asked the guy working who said he did not have the privilege to add the discount. He directed me to a lady who did, 20 seconds later oyster updated until 2023. So it can be done.

Aictos

Established Member
Non-safeguarded priv cannot be done at LUL stations. It seems the FASTIS replacement at Overground stations is causing mayhem this year if you read posts in the farcebook group so definitely not just you.

It was always possible though for non safeguarded staff to have the priv (PTAC) applied at any LUL station, when did that change?

The worse station for this was Finsbury Park while the best station was the ticket office at the top of the stairs by the entrance to the Victoria line (the quicker entrance to Victoria line platforms) until TfL decided to cut costs and close the ticket offices there and replace it with a visitor's centre which imo are awful for wanting to do anything staff related on Oyster.

The gateline staff though have always been able to put the priv discount onto Oyster for non safeguarded staff provided you had a valid PTAC.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just done mine this morning at London Bridge LU ticket machine's.
I asked the guy working who said he did not have the privilege to add the discount. He directed me to a lady who did, 20 seconds later oyster updated until 2023. So it can be done.
Are you safeguarded?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Non safeguarded. Discount applied was TFL rail only.

Does that mean all rail services operated by TFL (tube and trains), or just Trains.
That means all services operated by TfL: DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and the Tube.

There are four different Priv discounts that can be set on Oyster:
  • Priv All - Gives a Priv discount on all services within the Travelcard area (except Buses) and allows Priv Travelcard Seasons to be loaded onto the card. Restricted to Safeguarded staff only.
  • Priv All N - As above, but doesn't allow the purchase of Travelcard Seasons. Used for Spouses/Partners/Dependents of Safeguarded staff.
  • Priv NR Only - Only allows a discount on National Rail services (including London Overground and TfL Rail, for the avoidance of doubt). Used for non-Safeguarded staff and can only be set at London Overground and TfL Rail stations with Cubic TVMs, sibject to station staff having the necessary credentials. Supported by a Rail Staff Leisure Card.
  • Priv TfL Rail Only - Gives staff working for LNER, GTR or Eurostar a discount on PAYG fares on Tube, DLR, London Overground and TfL Rail services. Needs to be supported by a PTAC which is marked PAYG Only and states that it's not valid on NR services.

I've still had no luck, I've been to LO (Camden Road, Bethnal Green) stations and been told flat out they don't do oyster stuff anymore and can't/won't do it

Is this correct? I know they are wrong because others have you it at Camden Road with my work but maybe these were done on error?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've still had no luck, I've been to LO (Camden Road, Bethnal Green) stations and been told flat out they don't do oyster stuff anymore and can't/won't do it

Is this correct? I know they are wrong because others have you it at Camden Road with my work but maybe these were done on error?
I'd recommend Shepherd's Bush - you should have success on at least one side of the road!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Geez I'm not looking forward to do this again. Spent about 3 hours trawling around London last time until I randomly got it done at London Bridge, although I'm not sure they input it all correctly.

Will aim for this then, but having to trek to get it done is not fun. I assume TfL Rail stations no longer can either after the recent Oyster change?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Hold on for a sec. According to @MikeWh in Post 5 this is apparently no longer the case so I wouldn't go out of my way to try it there, only if on the way. Don't want you to waste a journey.

Alex27

Last time I managed to get it done at Willesden junction ticket office straight away, I'll probably head there this time again

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A little birdie tells me that there is an update to TVMs at TfL stations tonight which should mean that all LO and TfL Rail stations will be able to do it from tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.