• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unable to get renew Priv loaded onto Oyster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Karmel

I was under the impression no LO stations could. Only selected tfl rail stations - mainly on the west side. (Non safeguarded).
This is what all this thread is about. Now nearly every LO and TfL Rail stations can do it. Officially at least.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
I was under the impression no LO stations could. Only selected tfl rail stations - mainly on the west side. (Non safeguarded).

That was the case before but from the 18th July, it was supposed to be enabled at TVMs at LO stations. But between staff not being equipped or trained to touch the TVMs, the TVM interface not working as it should, staff nowhere to be seen and staff not wanting to leave the information office, every time I'm unable to get the discount loaded. I also followed Forest Hill's advice of going to Canada Water to get it done - who then said they couldn't do it.

Fortunately today I've discovered a way around this so no longer seeking the discount - but best of luck going forward to those trying to get it done.

Last edited:

iphone76

This is what all this thread is about. Now nearly every LO and TfL Rail stations can do it. Officially at least.
Believe me, having had to travel from deepest dark South Essex to Ealing Broadway, I definitely know what this thread is about. Lol.

That's strange as the latest update from 21st July on the Rail Delivery Group website says that it isnt available at London Overground stations. Perhaps they haven't updated the website to reflect that LO can now do it.

"The NR Priv discount is now available from some staff (using administrator functions at the ticket vending machines) at TfL Rail stations (with the exception of Ilford and Gidea Park). As not all staff have been trained in this yet, you may not be able to get it from the first staff member that you see.

Please utilise quieter off-peak times when approaching staff for this discount.

It is not yet available at London Overground stations but we will update this news item when that changes."

RJ

Established Member
I went to New Cross Gate last week. The ticket office had no Oyster facilities and the staff said the TVMs had no capability to load discounts onto Oyster and I was sent away. They seemed quite fed up of being asked about this.

I had a real reason to go to Stratford in business hours today so I stopped by the ticket office and they found a member of staff to assist at the TVM. The TVM by the ticket office wasn’t offering the function but fortunately the one around the corner was and I finally got the discount loaded.

It’s great that this discount has been agreed and a process set up to get staff to obtain it, but the instructions to advise Priv holders that London Overground stations can load it should be stopped until the issues they have have been overcome. It’s a shame that London Underground stations aren’t authorised to load the discount but understandable given the ongoing issues with TOC Privs.

Last edited:

LA50041

Established Member
I went to New Cross Gate last week. The ticket office had no Oyster facilities and the staff said the TVMs had no capability to load discounts onto Oyster and I was sent away. They seemed quite fed up of being asked about this.

I had a real reason to go to Stratford in business hours today so I stopped by the ticket office and they found a member of staff to assist at the TVM. The TVM by the ticket office wasn’t offering the function but fortunately the one around the corner was and I finally got the discount loaded.

It’s great that this discount has been agreed and a process set up to get staff to obtain it, but the instructions to advise Priv holders that London Overground stations can load it should be stopped until the issues they have have been overcome. It’s a shame that London Underground stations aren’t authorised to load the discount but understandable given the ongoing issues with TOC Privs.

It does say on the RST Website in the news section (21 July) that this function is only available at TfL Rail stations and NOT available at London Overground Stations at this time

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It does say on the RST Website in the news section (21 July) that this function is only available at TfL Rail stations and NOT available at London Overground Stations at this time

And to be fair, it seems that everyone who has tried at a TfL Rail station (East or West) has had a competent and trained staff member load the discount without any fuss so they've obviously been trained well.

RJ

Established Member

Yes, that has been mentioned upthread but elsewhere staff are being briefed on an ongoing basis that both London Overground and TfL Rail stations have the facilities to do it and relay this to Priv holders.

If this is amended to just say TfL Rail stations then this reduces the number of wasted trips Priv holders make to Overground stations that can't do it. People can draw their own conclusions as to whether this is reasonable or not.

Last edited:

LA50041

Established Member
Yes, that has been mentioned upthread but elsewhere staff are being briefed on an ongoing basis that both London Overground and TfL Rail stations have the facilities to do it and relay this to Priv holders.

If this is amended to just say TfL Rail stations then this reduces the number of wasted trips Priv holders make to Overground stations that can't do it. People can draw their own conclusions as to whether this is reasonable or not.
It depends who is briefing incorrect information. The correct source (rail staff travel) IS providing it correctly

RJ

Established Member
It depends who is briefing incorrect information. The correct source (rail staff travel) IS providing it correctly

Regardless of who is briefing incorrect information, it should be stopped as the less wrong information that is given out, the better the experience for customers.

Hopefully nobody ends up in a situation I did a few weeks ago where Forest Hill (an LO station) told me that an Underground station could do it and the Undgerground station they recommended couldn't, but told me an Overground station could do it.

Last edited:

LA50041

Established Member
Regardless of who is briefing incorrect information, it should be stopped as the less wrong information that is given out, the better the experience for customers.

Hopefully nobody ends up in a situation I did a few weeks ago where Forest Hill (an LO station) told me that an Underground station could do it and the Undgerground station they recommended couldn't, but told me an Overground station could do it.
How can it be stopped if nobody knows who is spreading mid-information?

the official channels are clear

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The information regarding London Overground stations (except former Southern stations) being able to do it came from London Overground themselves!

It is, however, reliant on having a member of staff at the station who has access to the staff screen on their Cubic TVMs, which is probably why RST are saying it's only TfL Rail stations at the moment.

LA50041

Established Member
The information regarding London Overground stations (except former Southern stations) being able to do it came from London Overground themselves!

It is, however, reliant on having a member of staff at the station who has access to the staff screen on their Cubic TVMs, which is probably why RST are saying it's only TfL Rail stations at the moment.
Ah ok thanks- bit of an own goal by LO then

iphone76

And to be fair, it seems that everyone who has tried at a TfL Rail station (East or West) has had a competent and trained staff member load the discount without any fuss so they've obviously been trained well.
Except me who works for them and was repeatedly (at least 7 times at various stations) told by ticket staff on the East their union had told them not to do it, so had to travel 2 hours from Essex to Ealing to get it done. Lol.

trek

I have had problems getting on the Western end of TfL Rail as recently as last week so it is still an issue (including being told to get it at Paddington, where it's definitely not possible)

Does this mean that, as a non-safeguarded TOC employee, I can now get a priv oyster card?

If so, I assume this can be done at Waterloo?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Does this mean that, as a non-safeguarded TOC employee, I can now get a priv oyster card?

If so, I assume this can be done at Waterloo?
It's a concession that was introduced a couple of years ago actually.

You would be able to obtain an Oyster card at Waterloo, but the discount can currently (it seems) only be set at TfL Rail managed stations.

The discount is analogous to what you get on paper tickets - i.e. 75% off National Rail fares, and only for leisure use.

There is no discount at all on journeys which include non-NR modes, so if undertaking a journey which mixes NR and non-NR, it will often cost you less to touch out and back in where you change.

OSIs may join up journeys in a way that makes it more expensive, so it may be easier to use contactless (or a second Oyster card) for the non-NR portion of the journey, to avoid this from happening.

It's a concession that was introduced a couple of years ago actually.

You would be able to obtain an Oyster card at Waterloo, but the discount can currently (it seems) only be set at TfL Rail managed stations.

The discount is analogous to what you get on paper tickets - i.e. 75% off National Rail fares, and only for leisure use.

There is no discount at all on journeys which include non-NR modes, so if undertaking a journey which mixes NR and non-NR, it will often cost you less to touch out and back in where you change.

OSIs may join up journeys in a way that makes it more expensive, so it may be easier to use contactless (or a second Oyster card) for the non-NR portion of the journey, to avoid this from happening.
Thank you for that.

I think I was getting carried away and associating oyster with just the underground.

I'm assuming still no priv on LU?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thank you for that.

I think I was getting carried away and associating oyster with just the underground.

I'm assuming still no priv on LU?
Only on paper cross-London tickets with a Maltese Cross. Or if you work for GTR, LNER or Eurostar I believe.

The former can actually be cheaper than Oyster in a handful of edge cases.

trek

Not just in edge cases, most journeys passing through Zone 1 are cheaper on paper with PRIV, especially if it's a return journey and at peak times. However obviously with maltese cross tickets you are restricted to only using the tube to/from National Rail interchanges.

There are a few tricks to best use the PRIV discount on the tube but I'd rather not post them, happy to discuss in a PM if anyone is interested.

Only on paper cross-London tickets with a Maltese Cross. Or if you work for GTR, LNER or Eurostar I believe.

You are right on GTR and LNER however they technically should load the separate "TfL Only" discount as the TfL PTAC (Privilege travel authority card) they get is separate to the NR PRIV (Rail staff leisure card). They can be both loaded onto one card, however due to the way the Oyster system works this results in any through TfL/NR journeys getting no discount at all, unless the journey is broken.

The PRIV All Rail and All Rail N discounts require a safeguarded PRIV (or nominee PRIV) specifically, and the form on the Rail Delivery Group website should be completed beforehand to have this added.

I'm not certain what passes Eurostar staff are issued with so not sure which discount they should have added on Oyster, but they do definitely get discounts on both TfL and NR.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I'm not certain what passes Eurostar staff are issued with so not sure which discount they should have added on Oyster, but they do definitely get discounts on both TfL and NR.
The last time I saw one, Eurostar staff (including those who joined the rail industry after 31st March 1996) were issued with a Staff Travel Card with all of the boxes crossed out and I think it was Endorsement 12 (Valid on Eurostar and LUL only), but I stand for correction on that.

S-Car-Go

The last time I saw one, Eurostar staff (including those who joined the rail industry after 31st March 1996) were issued with a Staff Travel Card with all of the boxes crossed out and I think it was Endorsement 12 (Valid on Eurostar and LUL only), but I stand for correction on that.
Yes Eurostar non-safeguarded staff are issued with PRIV cards with the boxes crossed out, which is valid for the 75% discount on NR. In the past, I showed that to LUL staff, and they added the PRIV condition to my normal Oyster card on a machine. PTACs are issued to Eurostar staff that commute in using LUL.

Status
Not open for further replies.