• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unable to get renew Priv loaded onto Oyster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iphone76

A little birdie tells me that there is an update to TVMs at TfL stations tonight which should mean that all LO and TfL Rail stations will be able to do it from tomorrow
I just tried to get this done today at a tfl rail station and was told something about it not being possible due to waiting some sort of confirmation from their union rep. Not sure what that was about. I'll try tomorrow at a different station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I just tried to get this done today at a tfl rail station and was told something about it not being possible due to waiting some sort of confirmation from their union rep. Not sure what that was about. I'll try tomorrow at a different station.
Can you say which station, please? I have someone at TfL who is keen to understand all issues.

RJ

Established Member
I went to Forest Hill - first said they don’t do it then said it can only be done if an Arriva member of staff was present, which they weren’t. They advised I go to Canada Water to get it done - presume it can be done at a LO TVM there by a LO member of staff?

Last edited:

EvoUK

A little birdie tells me that there is an update to TVMs at TfL stations tonight which should mean that all LO and TfL Rail stations will be able to do it from tomorrow.
Has anyone had any success with this?

I tried today but was refused at ticket offices for London overground, London Underground (Liverpool Street) and National Rail (Liverpool Street).
All of whom said they didn't have access or the correct equipment and referred me to go to the other (listed above).

Someone mentioned to me to try TFL staff at Ealing broadway? or would this likely be a wasted journey?

T-Karmel

Has anyone had any success with this?

I tried today but was refused at ticket offices for London overground, London Underground (Liverpool Street) and National Rail (Liverpool Street).
All of whom said they didn't have access or the correct equipment and referred me to go to the other (listed above).

Someone mentioned to me to try TFL staff at Ealing broadway? or would this likely be a wasted journey?
Looking at update on RDG website, what Mike said is correct. Adding the NR Only discount will be now possible at any TfL Rail or LO Station (with exemption for one or two) however its a new thing and it'll take a while before brief will be delivered to all members of staff of told stations.

Definitely worth a try, but you'll only find out if they're ready to do it once you speak to them.

iphone76

Looking at update on RDG website, what Mike said is correct. Adding the NR Only discount will be now possible at any TfL Rail or LO Station (with exemption for one or two) however its a new thing and it'll take a while before brief will be delivered to all members of staff of told stations.

Definitely worth a try, but you'll only find out if they're ready to do it once you speak to them.
I've tried at Seven Kings this afternoon as was directed to an underground station. I'll send another email to staff travel.

Nippy

It was always possible though for non safeguarded staff to have the priv (PTAC) applied at any LUL station, when did that change?

The worse station for this was Finsbury Park while the best station was the ticket office at the top of the stairs by the entrance to the Victoria line (the quicker entrance to Victoria line platforms) until TfL decided to cut costs and close the ticket offices there and replace it with a visitor's centre which imo are awful for wanting to do anything staff related on Oyster.

The gateline staff though have always been able to put the priv discount onto Oyster for non safeguarded staff provided you had a valid PTAC.
The girl in the TFL visitor centre at Victoria was brilliant last week when I went in to update Priv on the family Oyster cards. In and out in under 5 minutes. First day of being reopened as well..

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
That means all services operated by TfL: DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and the Tube.

There are four different Priv discounts that can be set on Oyster:
  • Priv All - Gives a Priv discount on all services within the Travelcard area (except Buses) and allows Priv Travelcard Seasons to be loaded onto the card. Restricted to Safeguarded staff only.
  • Priv All N - As above, but doesn't allow the purchase of Travelcard Seasons. Used for Spouses/Partners/Dependents of Safeguarded staff.
  • Priv NR Only - Only allows a discount on National Rail services (including London Overground and TfL Rail, for the avoidance of doubt). Used for non-Safeguarded staff and can only be set at London Overground and TfL Rail stations with Cubic TVMs, sibject to station staff having the necessary credentials. Supported by a Rail Staff Leisure Card.
  • Priv TfL Rail Only - Gives staff working for LNER, GTR or Eurostar a discount on PAYG fares on Tube, DLR, London Overground and TfL Rail services. Needs to be supported by a PTAC which is marked PAYG Only and states that it's not valid on NR services.
Slight correction to that - Priv All is also for Dependants, as they are also entitled to Priv Seasons. If you put All Rail N onto a Zip Card, it won't work, as that combination isn't valid, whereas All Rail is valid

Aictos

Established Member
The girl in the TFL visitor centre at Victoria was brilliant last week when I went in to update Priv on the family Oyster cards. In and out in under 5 minutes. First day of being reopened as well..
Maybe it's because it's a different station that you had better experience, when I did it years ago I was waiting for ages then told they couldn't do it this wasting my time in the end, the gateline staff sorted it in less then 5 mins.

Nippy

Maybe it's because it's a different station that you had better experience, when I did it years ago I was waiting for ages then told they couldn't do it this wasting my time in the end, the gateline staff sorted it in less then 5 mins.
Indeed, luck of the drawer. I tried to get mine done on the gate line at Paddington before to be told no, too busy to do that.

greyman42

Established Member
Indeed, luck of the drawer. I tried to get mine done on the gate line at Paddington before to be told no, too busy to do that.
The gate line at Paddington has not got the best reputation.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Could some one please clarify where the TFL visitor centre at Victoria is, also which would be the nearest TFL rail station to Beckenham . Thx

Nippy

The TfL visitor centre at Victoria is in the main station opposite Platform 8.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Could some one please clarify where the TFL visitor centre at Victoria is, also which would be the nearest TFL rail station to Beckenham . Thx

The nearest one could well be Abbey Wood now as I think its transferred over to TfL Rail?

londontone

Once authorised by RST, take the form together with your Staff Travel Card and Oyster card to a London Underground station, where a member of staff in the booking hall can set the Privilege rate discount on your Oyster card. You will need to ask the TfL staff to set the ‘Priv All Rail’ discount for staff and child dependants and ‘Priv All Rail N’ discount for spouses/partners.

T-Karmel

Once authorised by RST, take the form together with your Staff Travel Card and Oyster card to a London Underground station, where a member of staff in the booking hall can set the Privilege rate discount on your Oyster card. You will need to ask the TfL staff to set the ‘Priv All Rail’ discount for staff and child dependants and ‘Priv All Rail N’ discount for spouses/partners.

Worth mentioning it only applies to safeguarded staff.

RJ

Established Member
Worth mentioning it only applies to safeguarded staff.
That is already implied as only safeguarded staff get a Staff Travel Card. TOC New Entrants get a Rail Staff Leisure Card now.

Have many people had success getting the discount loaded at the TVM at London Overground or TfL Rail stations?

T-Karmel

That is already implied as only safeguarded staff get a Staff Travel Card. TOC New Entrants get a Rail Staff Leisure Card now.

Have many people had success getting the discount loaded at the TVM at London Overground or TfL Rail stations?
That's true but I believe a lot of people are still calling it by name Staff Travel Card. Anyway, I had actually Staff Travel Card in my previous TOC regardless me being non safeguarded but obviously with all boxes crossed out.

Haywain

Veteran Member
That's true but I believe a lot of people are still calling it by name Staff Travel Card. Anyway, I had actually Staff Travel Card in my previous TOC regardless me being non safeguarded but obviously with all boxes crossed out.
Staff of some companies in the industry receive safeguarded benefits regardless of their start date (I believe the company pays for such benefits). They are still considered safeguarded from the point of view of travel benefits. New entrants receive a Rail Staff Leisure Card with no boxes, crossed out or otherwise.

T-Karmel

Staff of some companies in the industry receive safeguarded benefits regardless of their start date (I believe the company pays for such benefits). They are still considered safeguarded from the point of view of travel benefits. New entrants receive a Rail Staff Leisure Card with no boxes, crossed out or otherwise.
It was an actual Staff Travel Card with crossed out all the boxes and no one was safeguarded, yet everyone received that type of card. Last one was issued in March 2020. Then for this year they all received that new Leisure Card with a picture like in other companies.

iphone76

Tried again at another station on the east side of Tfl rail. Was told that the company have told them to do it, but the union have told them not to. So there we are!

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Tried again at another station on the east side of Tfl rail. Was told that the company have told them to do it, but the union have told them not to. So there we are!
Are you a member of a union? If so, have you tried asking your union why their union is preventing you getting discounts you're entitled to? Even better if it turns out to be the same union. Perhaps suggest that you'll withold union fees until they sort it out?

iphone76

Are you a member of a union? If so, have you tried asking your union why their union is preventing you getting discounts you're entitled to? Even better if it turns out to be the same union. Perhaps suggest that you'll withold union fees until they sort it out?
Good shout. Different union but worth a try.

Quick update. Done at Ealing Broadway in 2 secs. Ticket office lady was so helpful. No issues at all. (Non-safeguarded). I'll never get the 4 hours back travelling there and back from Essex, but good to see it can be done.

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Good shout. Different union but worth a try.

Quick update. Done at Ealing Broadway in 2 secs. Ticket office lady was so helpful. No issues at all. (Non-safeguarded). I'll never get the 4 hours back travelling there and back from Essex, but good to see it can be done.

Also did mine at Ealing Broadway done the other day - very quick and easy. Shame you had to travel so far though!

A colleague got there’s done at another TfL West station and said it was equally smooth.

RJ

Established Member
I tried to get the discount loaded at West Hampstead LO - no joy, some issue with the TVM interface.

Is there clear guidance available on which London Overground stations are able to load the discount?

Last edited:

iphone76

I tried to get the discount loaded at West Hampstead LO - no joy, some issue with the TVM interface.

Is there clear guidance available on which London Overground stations are able to load the discount?
I was under the impression no LO stations could. Only selected tfl rail stations - mainly on the west side. (Non safeguarded).

Status
Not open for further replies.