• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Undertaking on roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Towers

Established Member
To go back to the original question, it should be considered that there are two sorts of road cyclists; the 'proper' ones who know what they're doing, and the 'casual' ones who quite often haven't got a clue how to use a road safely. One of the traits of the latter is to cycle around with a complete disregard for the traffic that they're sharing their space with, naively assuming that they don't need to take any responsibility for themselves because everybody else will do it for them. If there is an area of empty road in front of them, they will cycle into it (probably at a wildly innapropriate speed), because they lack the road sense to appreciate that there may be hazards present from other road users. We now see HGVs having to be fitted with a robotic voice loudly annoucing when they are turning left, as a direct result of the number of cyclists who seemingly cannot appreciate that wedging yourself down the inside of a huge lorry waiting a junction and indicating left, is not a good idea. I think that pretty much sums up the situation!

The moral being, always be on your guard for a cyclist doing something stupid and expecting you to take responsibility for it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The moral being, always be on your guard for a cyclist doing something stupid and expecting you to take responsibility for it!

"Always assume every other road user, whatever their vehicle, is not only grossly incompetent, but actively out to kill you" is a good defensive driving motto. No point pointing it at one particular class of road user, they're all just as incompetent as each other.

"Here lies X, he had the right of way" is not what you want on your gravestone.

Towers

Established Member
"Always assume every other road user, whatever their vehicle, is not only grossly incompetent, but actively out to kill you" is a good defensive driving motto. No point pointing it at one particular class of road user, they're all just as incompetent as each other.

Absolutely!

Equally, explaining that you had right of way whilst sat in your prison cell isn't much good, either!

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member

But what if you or I, as exemplary drivers (!), do this but unexpectedly encounter others who drive correctly, follow the rules, keep well below the maximum speed limit etc? That is not normal, how to deal with it?

zwk500

Veteran Member
But what if you or I, as exemplary drivers (!), do this but unexpectedly encounter others who drive correctly, follow the rules, keep well below the maximum speed limit etc? That is not normal, how to deal with it?
Then you're in luck, because both you and the other driver continue driving normally and safely, and nothing untoward happens. How do you react when you see somebody driving safely?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Having spent a fair bit of time on motorways last week, I did a quick count of vehicles that were incorrectly in a lane when their was no reason they could not have moved to the lane(s) to their left.

Of well over 100 such cars (and they were all cars), almost exactly 50% were Mercedes or Toyota Hybrids. I’m not sure what this tells me!

Status
Not open for further replies.