• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

University (Birmingham) Station Rebuild

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheTallOne

It’s still looking quite messy outside, drove past it today. Pavement still fenced off and the annoying traffic lights not gone yet

H&I

It’s still looking quite messy outside, drove past it today. Pavement still fenced off and the annoying traffic lights not gone yet
Oof. I’m already making my way to Birmingham to check it out on Sunday when it is meant to open.

(New post below line)
———————————————

I am very excited to see it complete and ready to open!

Attachments

• IMG_0231.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0237.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0238.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0234.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0232.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0233.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Liam L

Am planning on going to have a look next week, Anyone been today? Be interested to here some thoughts on it

AJDesiro

Am planning on going to have a look next week, Anyone been today? Be interested to here some thoughts on it
I’ve visited 3 times today, and it’s absolutely huge compared to the old station. The footbridge is really nice, and gives great views of the trains below. There’s also a travel centre on the platform 1 side, with a large map just outside the station. The abundance of seating and waiting spaces is very welcome (there must be 100+ seats. Ticket barriers weren’t in use yet.

The old building was exit only and the staff were making sure that people were aware of that, oddly the TVMs were still on in the old bit.

All in all, it’s a really nice building, and definitely worth a look. It feels a lot less bland than the new Coventry and Perry Barr station buildings do.

TheTallOne

Oof. I’m already making my way to Birmingham to check it out on Sunday when it is meant to open.

(New post below line)
———————————————

I am very excited to see it complete and ready to open!
Nice timing with the blue skies!

I do like a nice blue hour shot!

Liam L

I’ve visited 3 times today, and it’s absolutely huge compared to the old station. The footbridge is really nice, and gives great views of the trains below. There’s also a travel centre on the platform 1 side, with a large map just outside the station. The abundance of seating and waiting spaces is very welcome (there must be 100+ seats. Ticket barriers weren’t in use yet.

The old building was exit only and the staff were making sure that people were aware of that, oddly the TVMs were still on in the old bit.

All in all, it’s a really nice building, and definitely worth a look. It feels a lot less bland than the new Coventry and Perry Barr station buildings do.
Good to hear, I imagine the TVMs in the old will be moved over at some point in the coming weeks. Does sound like a improvement though which is fantastic to hear.

TheTallOne

The old building is now exit only.

I do wonder if they should have it setup for exit only in the morning (as everyone heads to lectures) and entry only after say 2pm (everyone heading home)?

ABB125

Established Member
I do wonder if they should have it setup for exit only in the morning (as everyone heads to lectures) and entry only after say 2pm (everyone heading home)?
If they did that, then that would reduce the number of people going through the new buildings. Which would result is reduced sales at whatever retail outlets they have at the station...

Liam L

The old building is now exit only.

As mentioned above and from what I saw today from my visit, They want most of the traffic to go through the new buildings, With a security guard on the old entrance to direct people round to it. Would be useful if they put some proper signage up to make it more clearer.

centraltrains

I was quite disappointed there was no cafe. In the original flythrough video there was a nice space labelled "additional waiting and cafe space" but seems to be just closed off for some NHS thing I can't quite remember.

(2:17)

It's interesting how much extra staffing this new station needs, 3 excess fare booths, 3 gate lines, platform staff both sides, security staff - seemingly one just to tell you the old entrance is now exit only!

Otherwise a lovely spacious open building.

TheTallOne

I’ll be glad when they finish the outside works and get rid of the temporary traffic lights

I’ve not visited yet, although I might have a wander down the canal from Selly Oak tomorrow and then get the train into Birmingham from uni.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I’ll be glad when they finish the outside works and get rid of the temporary traffic lights

I’ve not visited yet, although I might have a wander down the canal from Selly Oak tomorrow and then get the train into Birmingham from uni.
A friend of mine described the canal entrance to the station as his own private entrance as his usual walking route to the station is by the canal towpath.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I noticed in one of the videos the chap thought the term “link bridge” wasn’t very useful to differentiate from the ‘footbridge’, perhaps referring to it as the ‘canal bridge’ might be more logical?

TheTallOne

A friend of mine described the canal entrance to the station as his own private entrance as his usual walking route to the station is by the canal towpath.
I’ll probably forget about that entrance and walk up the steps to the old entrance (or exit as it is now!). Muscle memory.

I noticed A4 printed signs on each door in the new station saying the doors close at 2200 (2000 on Sundays)

One to watch out for on an evening, have to use the old building late at night.

Also it’s a shame they have a nice new building with tatty A4 paper notices on all the doors.

Last edited:

ABB125

Established Member
I’ll probably forget about that entrance and walk up the steps to the old entrance (or exit as it is now!). Muscle memory.

I noticed A4 printed signs on each door in the new station saying the doors close at 2200 (2000 on Sundays)

One to watch out for on an evening, have to use the old building late at night.

Also it’s a shame they have a nice new building with tatty A4 paper notices on all the doors.
No only that, the towpath entrance is only open 0600-1800 (from 0900 on Sundays). Quite why this needs to be closed early I'm not sure, as it doesn't require any additional staffing, it's literally just an automatic opening door...