• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

University (Birmingham) Station Rebuild

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm wondering if those passenger numbers are even higher. If they're done on ticket sales, they don't take into account ticket less travel when the barriers are not staffed. It really is a very busy station.
I would definitely suspect so. Having used the station regularly for the past five years, I have witnessed many times people travelling ticketless through the station – often willing to take their chances with the ticket barriers at Five Ways or New St.

Whilst it has improved significantly in the past couple of years, the majority of times I have travelled through the station the barriers have been open.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sprinter107

I would definitely suspect so. Having used the station regularly for the past five years, I have witnessed many times people travelling ticketless through the station – often willing to take their chances with the ticket barriers at Five Ways or New St.

Whilst it has improved significantly in the past couple of years, the majority of times I have travelled through the station the barriers have been open.
Yes, ive noticed them open more often recently, along with the ones at Five Ways. University to Five Ways is a popular passenger flow, as is University to Selly Oak, where there are no barriers.

Camden

Established Member
For a station that (normally) has a train every 10 minutes in each direction, the amount of waiting space upstairs seems rather large.

Mordac

Established Member
For a station that (normally) has a train every 10 minutes in each direction, the amount of waiting space upstairs seems rather large.
Trains at 10 minutes are gone never to return unfortunately, according to WMR's statements to Modern Railways. They're permanently bringing the Cross City Line to 4tph. I hope they at least change it from the stupid way this is being done now, where you'll have ten minutes between two trains, then twenty minutes until the next...

The Planner

Veteran Member
Trains at 10 minutes are gone never to return unfortunately, according to WMR's statements to Modern Railways. They're permanently bringing the Cross City Line to 4tph. I hope they at least change it from the stupid way this is being done now, where you'll have ten minutes between two trains, then twenty minutes until the next...
Good luck with that...

ABB125

Established Member
A pile of spoil has appeared in the car park where the station is going, I imagine they're digging it up? I'll try and get a picture tomorrow.
Other than that, nothing visible has happened on the site (although of course that doesn't mean nothing has actually happened!).

One thing I've noticed is that the site is lit up at night by two diesel powered portable floodlight units. Apart from making a fair bit of noise (canal boat chugging along at full throttle, with added rattly washers, I'm sure you've heard it before!), it does seem a bit pointless given that nothing is happening overnight, and the neighbouring road (Vincent Drive) is lit up. I suppose it's to discourage theft?* The generators are also pumping out visible emissions (although I'm a fan of the smell myself!), which should surely be discouraged in a built up environment. What makes it worse is that the carpark already had "mains powered" floodlights, but these have been turned off. Although I suppose the lampposts and wiring may interfere with the construction work.

*Not very effectively: as I was walking past about half an hour ago, there was a group of 3 girls maybe 50m in front. One of them nipped across the road by the entrance to the site, but then was spooked by the light being on in the "site office" (small container with two tiny toilets and an adjoining room). Instead, a traffic cone was liberated from the NHS blood donation place car park next door. The group also had a road sign with them. I wonder why traffic cones, road signs (and shopping trolleys!) are specifically not permitted in the university accommodation contracts... :D And where did this group end up? That's right, university accommodation...

As promised, here are some pictures.

Nothing much appears to be going on at the southern end of the site:
IMG_20201126_153845147_HDR.jpg

There is evidence of work going on here...
IMG_20201126_153932138_HDR.jpg

Including a pile of stone to the left of the roller
IMG_20201126_153747014_HDR.jpg

And a wooden fence being installed:IMG_20201126_153711534.jpg

Last edited:

Fidelis

There is no desire by West Midlands Rail Executive nor Network Rail to permanently move to 4tph on the Cross City Line indeed Dave Penney in Modern Railways has been misinterpreted as he is quoted in the article as saying "Mr Penney thinks that at some point in the future 6tph will be required again" so the two unused paths per hour will be retained .

Mordac

Established Member
There is no desire by West Midlands Rail Executive nor Network Rail to permanently move to 4tph on the Cross City Line indeed Dave Penney in Modern Railways has been misinterpreted as he is quoted in the article as saying "Mr Penney thinks that at some point in the future 6tph will be required again" so the two unused paths per hour will be retained .
That's certainly not what I took from that article. Even that language is deliberately vague, and seems to have the perverse effect of saddling us with 4tph at uneven intervals for years, because the other two paths might be needed "at some point in the future" so you can't rewrite the timetable for 15 minute intervals...

ABB125

Established Member
I passed through the station today, and was somewhat disappointed by the lack of visible progress compared to my last visit a few months ago. Obviously there may have been other stuff done which isn't visible.

IMG_8306 (Medium).JPGIMG_8299 (Medium).JPG
This is the canal-side of the station. They've cut down some trees and put down some stone.

IMG_8311 (Medium).JPGIMG_8345 (Medium).JPGIMG_8328 (Medium).JPG
Some sheet piling (I think) has been partially installed on the hospital side of the station

IMG_8347 (Medium).JPG
This is the view from the other side of the work compund.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I passed through the station today, and was somewhat disappointed by the lack of visible progress compared to my last visit a few months ago. Obviously there may have been other stuff done which isn't visible.

View attachment 92407View attachment 92408
This is the canal-side of the station. They've cut down some trees and put down some stone.

View attachment 92406View attachment 92404View attachment 92405
Some sheet piling (I think) has been partially installed on the hospital side of the station

View attachment 92403
This is the view from the other side of the work compund.
Bigger stuff happens in the summer, various Sunday blocks in the plan.

ABB125

Established Member
Bigger stuff happens in the summer, various Sunday blocks in the plan.
There were repeated announcements* about a line closure between New Street and (I think) Bromsgrove; presumably this is related to the rebuild?

*They appeared to be appended to EVERY "the next train to arrive" announcement, so I just switched off listening to the announcements! I think it was for a Sunday, but I can't remember how far in the future. But I do know that all the replacement buses will be wheelchair accessible, but luggage which doesn't "fold down" (whatever that means) cannot be carried.

class26

For the sake of accuracy the Modern railways article goes on to say ".....is optimistic that 6 trains per hour frequency will be needed at at some point in the future......"

Mordac

Established Member
For the sake of accuracy the Modern railways article goes on to say ".....is optimistic that 6 trains per hour frequency will be needed at at some point in the future......"
Which is about as close to "no plans for the foreseeable future" as you can get without saying so.

DavidGrain

Established Member
The problem with a station like University that I can see is that it is a two sided station in that passengers need to enter and leave from both sides of the line, the university one side and the hospital the other side. I have also notcied a large amount of interchange traffic between the trains and the buses which I used myself quite often before I made a house move. This double sided problem means that you have to provide duplicated facilities. The existing station building by a road overbridge is just a booking office and gateline with stairs and lifts.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Looks like a fair bit of work has been done to me. For example, to do what they have done there, any utilities will have been shifted (that takes ages - if you want to know how long phone up Cadent and ask them to move your gas pipe...)

ABB125

Established Member
Looks like a fair bit of work has been done to me. For example, to do what they have done there, any utilities will have been shifted (that takes ages - if you want to know how long phone up Cadent and ask them to move your gas pipe...)
I appreciate that, what you can't see is often the most important. However, to the uninitiated it does rather look like they've just dumped a lorry load of stone and given up for the day with the piling work! (For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not suggesting this is the case! :))

Is it still on track to be finished in time for the Commonwealth Games? I suppose if it was behind schedule, they might be working at the weekend, so the absence of any activities suggests to me that it's going reasonably well.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I appreciate that, what you can't see is often the most important. However, to the uninitiated it does rather look like they've just dumped a lorry load of stone and given up for the day with the piling work! (For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not suggesting this is the case! :))

Is it still on track to be finished in time for the Commonwealth Games? I suppose if it was behind schedule, they might be working at the weekend, so the absence of any activities suggests to me that it's going reasonably well.
Yes, it is.

Mordac

Established Member
They'll need to increase the station right enough, to cope with the crowds waiting for 4tph.

Fidelis

On Thursday the WMCA announced that University and Perry Barr stations will be ready for the Commonwealth games.
Read more at https://www.wmca.org.uk/news/works-...-stations-are-on-track-for-commonwealth-games.
University of Birmingham is the Competitors accommodation (Athletes Village) for the Games participating teams as well as the venue for several sports. So will have spectators as well as competitors using it.
By the way Mordac currently there are 12 trains an hour stopping at University, six in each direction 4 Cross City, one XC BHM to Cardiff and one WMR BHM- Hereford. Pre-Covid there were the two additional Cross City. Talking to WMRE and Network Rail in January they stated that will retain the current pathways into New Street to allow for restoration of six tph on the Cross City line as demand rises.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Talking to WMRE and Network Rail in January they stated that will retain the current pathways into New Street to allow for restoration of six tph on the Cross City line as demand rises.

Until they decide otherwise!

The Planner

Veteran Member
On Thursday the WMCA announced that University and Perry Barr stations will be ready for the Commonwealth games.
Read more at https://www.wmca.org.uk/news/works-...-stations-are-on-track-for-commonwealth-games.
University of Birmingham is the Competitors accommodation (Athletes Village) for the Games participating teams as well as the venue for several sports. So will have spectators as well as competitors using it.
By the way Mordac currently there are 12 trains an hour stopping at University, six in each direction 4 Cross City, one XC BHM to Cardiff and one WMR BHM- Hereford. Pre-Covid there were the two additional Cross City. Talking to WMRE and Network Rail in January they stated that will retain the current pathways into New Street to allow for restoration of six tph on the Cross City line as demand rises.
Camp Hill new stations won't work with 6tph Cross City...

city dweller

There is a push to get Kings Norton upgraded.

7.5 Sponsorship of the Midlands Rail Hub (MRH) project has moved from Midlands Connect to DfT with a new governance process in place. Elements of the MRH programme that can be accelerated have been identified and funding allocated to undertake further design work on Snow Hill Platform 4 restoration. WMRE/TfWM are pressing for the proposed MRH upgrade work at Kings Norton to be accelerated, noting the planned introduction of services on the Camp Hill line.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
If hypothetically the central platforms were reinstated with full electrification through the station, would this provide the additional flexibility? Say if the southbound cross-city services ran through what would be the new platform 2 before switching to the down slow, whilst the Camp Hill services terminated in the new platform 4 (current P2), or it is the conflict with the current moves across the junction that is problematic?

Last edited:

DavidGrain

Established Member
I presume that you are refering to conflicts at Kings Norton. My understanding from information given by WMCA a year or so ago is that the present Worcester/Malvern trains will no longer call at University but will be diverted via the Camp Hill Line to serve the new stations. This was a compromise to avoid having to build the new curves at Bordesley into Moor Street. I personally do not think that will work because passengers for stations beyond Bromsgrove wiil have to compete with local traffic on the Camp Hill Line to get on their trains. In the longer term, although Covid might have changed projections, I think that the demand for the Camp Hill service will build up requiring more than 2tph.