• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusal sights at Carlisle and York

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was in Carlisle & York over the holiday weekend. I was surprised at about 5pm on Sunday to see a 7 coach train consisting of 4 London Midland carriages coupled to 3 FTPE coaches. (I think bother were 350 units.) This formed a service to Manchester Airport, rather an odd combination, the LM stock was rather out of place up there I thought.

I also saw on Monday morning an HST in Cross Country livery, with I think 2 fist and 5 STD Class coaches heading north from York. It was nice to see, I did not realize XC Still had and HSTs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Suraggu

XC have leased 5 HST sets as part of their franchise agreement.

And Transpennine express hired LM 350/3's for the commonwealth games and IIRC they have one 350/4 under repair after an accident so I wonder if one is still on hire to replace the 350/4 which is under repair.

High Dyke

Established Member
Certainly not as bizarre as this combination... 142030 / 158904 arriving on the 13:55 ex Leeds and returning as the 17:00 departure.

The 350 combination was 350373 / 350402 working the 15:06 ex Glasgow Central.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Used on the Plymouth (or Paignton) to Leeds/Edinburgh/Glasgow runs.

You can find a list of their usual workings c/o the 125 group:
http://www.125group.org.uk/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=30

They do seem to be 95% reliable to these times - not enough Voyagers to spare.
Travelled on one of these a couple of years ago from York to Brum N.S. whilst on the way to Sutton Coldfield for the footy... Better to go on an HST via Leeds than suffer with a plastic tub via Doncaster. ;)

HA25322

Think the 350/4s are only on hire until the Edinburgh Fringe has finished. However I maybe wrong on this.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Used on the Plymouth (or Paignton) to Leeds/Edinburgh/Glasgow runs.

You can find a list of their usual workings c/o the 125 group:
http://www.125group.org.uk/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=30

They do seem to be 95% reliable to these times - not enough Voyagers to spare.

Thank you for that link to the 125 group. Very informative. It's also interesting how many 125 units are used on the ECML, understandable on routes where there is no electric power, like Hull, and north of Edinburgh etc, but they also seem to be used on all electric routes, like York and Newcastle.

Not than I am complaining though as I enjoy travelling on the 125s. I try to choose 125 services when travelling on EC, MML/EMT etc.

D6975

Established Member
Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
You almost certainly miscounted the number of carriages in the TPE/LM 350 formation- easily done!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Certainly not as bizarre as this combination... 142030 / 158904 arriving on the 13:55 ex Leeds and returning as the 17:00 departure.

I have seen similar combinations on that route several times before. with most people heading for the 158 portion.

Status
Not open for further replies.