• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UP 4014 Back to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarltonA

The "Big Boy" is back after nearly 60yrs. This will now be the world's largest operational steam loco displacing the Challenger 3985 4-6-6-4. Weighing in at over 500 tons with a wheel arrangement of 4-8-8-4 the loco will be burning oil this time around. The first excursion run is due later this month according to the wiki link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_4014

UP have renumbered a diesel which had the same number to avoid confusion (on the books).

EE Andy b1

Established Member
That's one mega steam locomotive, well fitting it's "Big Boy" name.
Watched quite a bit of archive video on YouTube of these locomotives, very impressive.
Would be great to see in real life.

UP13

Not really into the American scene but who doesn't love Big Boy?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not really into the American scene but who doesn't love Big Boy?
Incredible machines.
I believe 4014 is now an oil burning locomotive?
Does anyone know how much oil it would burn when working hard? It must be rather a lot!

Strathclyder

Established Member
I believe 4014 is now an oil burning locomotive?
Yeah, she is now a oil-burner like 844 & 3895. They all burn No.5 (aka Bunker B) oil.

Union Pacific are to be commended for this remarkable achievement. The Big Boys (and by extension the Challengers) are among my favourite American locomotives just for their sheer size, immense power and ability to shake the earth. Even though 3895 is now second fiddle in the size department, her power is still nothing to be sneezed at:

UP13

Yeah, she is now a oil-burner like 844 & 3895. They all burn No.5 (aka Bunker B) oil.

Union Pacific are to be commended for this remarkable achievement. The Big Boys (and by extension the Challengers) are among my favourite American locomotives just for their sheer size, immense power and ability to shake the earth. Even though 3895 is now second fiddle in the size department, her power is still nothing to be sneezed at:

That looks insane!

Strathclyder

Established Member
That looks insane!
Looks and sounds insane! The literal definition of 'Rolling Thunder'. The only other locos that come close are the Soviet/Ukrainian TE10 diesel locos, but those are for another thread for another section of the forum lol ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.