• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

URGENT HELP NEEDED! Looking for a superzoom DSLR lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

HST43257

Established Member
So, I currently have a Canon EOS 2000D with an 18-55mm kit lens. I use this for nature, scenery and railway photography. I mainly focus on the rail photography part, though - and I’m looking to get a new longer zoom lens.

Balancing cost and effectiveness, I think I’ve narrowed down my search to 2 options.
55-250mm - £230 ”Renewed” on Amazon
75-300mm - £200 ”Renewed” on Amazon or £240 ”New” on Canon website or Amazon

There’s a few factors for me. First of all, I don’t want to be changing the lens too much, so I’d intend to keep the long lens on the camera and rarely use the kit lens. Currently, I rarely use anything less than 55mm on my kit lens. So I’m a bit cautious about the 55-75mm gap if I got the 75-300mm, especially given what I said about mainly just using the new lens. It would create a situation where my minimum was 75mm, when there’s still some shots which I’d ideally take at 55-60mm. I just don’t know much about what the 75-300 would unlock in terms of distance, creating for and against arguments.

Another factor is dimensions. With a kit lens on my camera, there is just under 6cm of free space. The 55-250mm looks like it is 3.8cm longer than the kit lens and the 75-300mm is apparently 5.2cm longer than the kit lens. Both would fit but the 55-250 keeps a little room available.

So my thought process is: I’m aware that the 75-300mm is really good and reliable, but the 55-250mm has a fair few benefits. I’m leaning towards the 55-250 but I do see why the 75-300 might be better.

I’m just not sure how to balance all of this, so some advice would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has any better suggestions for a similar price then they’re more than welcome.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sigma do an 18-300mm. I used one when I had a Canon EOS 450D. It saved changing lenses and the quality was very good.
It was compatible with Canon's EF-S mounts but not EF.

Can I ask, why do you not intend to change the lens very much?

I have a 24 - 105mm and a 70 - 300mm lens.

I mainly use the small lens for railway photos but just in case, I always take the other when I go out.

HST43257

Established Member
Can I ask, why do you not intend to change the lens very much?
I’m slightly worried about a potential buildup of internal dust or anything else that could happen during a change.

Sigma do an 18-300mm. I used one when I had a Canon EOS 450D. It saved changing lenses and the quality was very good.
It was compatible with Canon's EF-S mounts but not EF.
Thanks, I’ll look into this one. Looks like it meets my needs a fair bit so I’ll definitely near it in mind.

DelW

Established Member
Like 46223, I like the option to carry just a single lens on my SLR. I use a basic Nikon D3000 fitted with a Tamron 18 - 200mm, which covers almost all the range I ever want.

If you're looking to carry just a single lens, I'd choose the 55-250. The visible difference between shots at 250 and 300mm isn't very significant (and you can always crop a bit anyway), but between 55 and 75mm is quite a difference, and you can't "edit in" a wider angle.

Even if you plan to carry both lenses, I'd say it's better not having a coverage gap between 55 and 75mm, so for me the 55 - 250 edges it again.

So unless you think you're likely to do a significant amount of shooting at maximum telephoto, I'd pick the 55 - 250mm.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Like 46223, I like the option to carry just a single lens on my SLR. I use a basic Nikon D3000 fitted with a Tamron 18 - 200mm, which covers almost all the range I ever want.

If you're looking to carry just a single lens, I'd choose the 55-250. The visible difference between shots at 250 and 300mm isn't very significant (and you can always crop a bit anyway), but between 55 and 75mm is quite a difference, and you can't "edit in" a wider angle.

Even if you plan to carry both lenses, I'd say it's better not having a coverage gap between 55 and 75mm, so for me the 55 - 250 edges it again.

So unless you think you're likely to do a significant amount of shooting at maximum telephoto, I'd pick the 55 - 250mm.
Having a zoom lens that caters for a wide angle option (28mm or less) can be useful if you are ever likely to want to take photos in some stations, museums, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.