• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

US aviation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Covid has forced mass retirement of fleets at Delta. One I am very happy about is the CRJ200s are being retired by 2024 latest.

I like Delta and hope they come through COVID in rude health. I was in America last year on business and went the pre-clearance via Dublin route (a most civilised way to travel, arriving in the USA as a domestic passenger is very much the way to go) with Delta. Nice crew with a good menu, good in-flight entertainment and a couple of well maintained aircraft (a 767 out and 757 back - what decade is it again).

nlogax

Established Member
Still waiting for UK pre-clearance into US domestic terminals, a la Dublin and Shannon. Do we think LHR or MAN is going to eventually receive it?

MAN would be easier I think and for selfish reasons I hope is first.

MAN has been identified by the US customs and border protection agency, as one of 10 further airports that could adopt US pre-clearance provision. MAN & LHR are the 2 UK airports on that list.

My understanding is that it was hoped MAN would be able to introduce the pre-clearance following the expansion of T2 and completion of the current airport development program.
It very much depends on how quickly the US customs and border protection agency intend to bring forward these plans, which also require intergovernmental negotiations and agreement.

WestCoast

Established Member
Last time I flew to the US in 2019 I was waiting for around 2 hours at immigration at LAX after ariving on a Norwegian flight from Gatwick.

Much preferred the time before flying via Dublin (preclearing there) with Aer Lingus, who I also found very decent on a transatlantic route.

Of the US airlines I've flown (American, Alaska/Virgin America, United, Southwest), I think I actually liked Southwest the most; plain and simple but really customer friendly policies and I view the select your seat on boarding as an advantage as a mainly solo traveller!

nlogax

Established Member
Last time I flew to the US in 2019 I was waiting for around 2 hours at immigration at LAX after ariving on a Norwegian flight from Gatwick.

LAX is a standard two hour nightmare for CBP wait-times. See also, Newark and SFO. I'd love pre-clearance from UK airports but not really counting on it happening.

Best CBP experience would have to be Austin. Last went through there in February and it took all of five minutes from jetway to kerbside...quite amazing.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
LAX is a standard two hour nightmare for CBP wait-times. See also, Newark and SFO. I'd love pre-clearance from UK airports but not really counting on it happening.

Best CBP experience would have to be Austin. Last went through there in February and it took all of five minutes from jetway to kerbside...quite amazing.

I thought LAX was bad, but Newark was its equal.

gsnedders

Established Member
SFO I've had very mixed experiences of, varying from under ten minutes to clear immigration to taking 90 minutes! (In the former case, I think I then had a half hour wait for baggage!) SFO very much varies with the number of inbound flights having to clear immigration all at once.

nlogax

Established Member
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...lantic-corridors-as-covid-free-flight-arrives

Airlines have piled more pressure on the UK government to open up transatlantic air corridors after the first confirmed “Covid-free flight” arrived at Heathrow and the launch of a pre-departure testing trial by British Airways.

A United Airlines flight from Newark arrived at London Heathrow on Tuesday morning having tested all of the passengers onboard to certify them free from coronavirus before departure.

About 40 passengers were cleared to travel, but one was refused after testing positive. The US carrier plans to operate 11 more Newark-Heathrow flights over the coming weeks, where every traveller agrees to be tested and cleared before takeoff.

Good news I suppose, though it's painfully slow stuff. There's been talk of UK - US air corridors for months with no discernible progress.

Strange to see a 737 on the EWR-LHR run though not really surprising considering the very light loading.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Talking of 737s, the Americans have today approved the MAX to fly again, although not yet with passengers - the revised crew training still has to be agreed.

flymo

Established Member
Talking of 737s, the Americans have today approved the MAX to fly again, although not yet with passengers - the revised crew training still has to be agreed.
The 737 MAX is one aircraft type I'll go out of my way to avoid flying on for some years to come, (once the world starts moving again of course).

Jamesrob637

Established Member
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...lantic-corridors-as-covid-free-flight-arrives

Good news I suppose, though it's painfully slow stuff. There's been talk of UK - US air corridors for months with no discernible progress.

Strange to see a 737 on the EWR-LHR run though not really surprising considering the very light loading.

No they'll have just used a 737 for a generic image of a United plane. Newark to Heathrow is on a Dreamliner :'( United retired its last proper plane on my birthday three years ago.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The 737 MAX is one aircraft type I'll go out of my way to avoid flying on for some years to come, (once the world starts moving again of course).

I won't avoid it, but I certainly have misgivings as it's a flawed design which has presumably been fixed by bodging yet another bit on.

Domh245

Established Member
I won't avoid it, but I certainly have misgivings as it's a flawed design which has presumably been fixed by bodging yet another bit on.

Bodged on as any fix may be, it'll be one of, in not the most thoroughly investigated and tested aircraft in the air, which has got to be worth something?

Status
Not open for further replies.