• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using trains in Belgium and the Netherlands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Just discovered that in Belgium, if you're under 26 (which applies to me), you're entitled to a so called Youth ticket, which allows cheaper fares across trains in Belgium. But I have a question, does the Youth ticket discount apply to anyone in Belgium (including tourists), or just people legally resident in Belgium?

In addition, in the Netherlands, do I get any discounts on train tickets as a result of my young age (I'm currently 20 but will be 21 by the time I go to BE and NL)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Just discovered that in Belgium, if you're under 26 (which applies to me), you're entitled to a so called Youth ticket, which allows cheaper fares across trains in Belgium. But I have a question, does the Youth ticket discount apply to anyone in Belgium (including tourists), or just people legally resident in Belgium?

In addition, in the Netherlands, do I get any discounts on train tickets as a result of my young age (I'm currently 20 but will be 21 by the time I go to BE and NL)?

In Belgium, if you're travelling with someone else, and one of you can get an age-related (or other) discount, it's not worth doing so for off-peak travel over the summer, since there's a two-for-one deal at the moment. One regular ticket is enough for two people ... which of course is cheaper than a regular one plus a discounted one.

As I remember it, age-related discounts in Belgium don't require you to be a Belgian citizen/resident - though it could have changed.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
In Belgium, if you're travelling with someone else, and one of you can get an age-related (or other) discount, it's not worth doing so for off-peak travel over the summer, since there's a two-for-one deal at the moment. One regular ticket is enough for two people ... which of course is cheaper than a regular one plus a discounted one.

As I remember it, age-related discounts in Belgium don't require you to be a Belgian citizen/resident - though it could have changed.

I am aware, unfortunately I will be travelling on my own (very likely) so the two for one ticket does not apply in my situation.

Yes, no mentions of the requirements of having to be a Belgian citizen or resident, so as far as I'm aware, that's definitely a good thing.

DanielB

No discounts for Dutch train tickets unfortunately at age 21. The cheap youth day ticket is only available until an age of 18.

dutchflyer

Established Member
In NL-nothing-NL is in fact about the only country in the whole of west-EUR that does not even offer lower priced junior/student seasons-but about any uni-student however gets a free (week or weekend) unlimited subscription as part of grant. You may want to look into InterRail 1 country BeNeLux if you intend to make a few longer traindays-its slightly cheaper for junior <27.
IN BE it is for ANYone-even those from out of the EU. It is either as goPass 1 for 1 trip (online only) OR as a 10-ride pass, old style cardboard, in which you write down details. It is a general rule that anyone from young age anywhere in BE always needs to have the ´eenzelvigheidskaart´ with her/him=ID and its common this will be asked for in doubt. But as a tourist you need to have that with you anyway.
AND-in most BE school holdiays there will even be GO-UNLimited, for a very low price (for 1 week or maybe longer)-but you must then load this on a personal MoBiB chipcard, cost 5€, can be made on the spot in major stations-they can even do the foto then (which in NL is also a crime to arrange for foreigners).
In LUX all transit is free. BUT note this GO-passes and all other BE cheap offers are ONLY valid till last real stop, NOT the border points. So if you plan to go there too: have to buy another single ticket from that last stop to LUX-only BE part will be charged. (mostly about 2,50).
In DE there is now till aug. the well known 9€ alllocal monthly=extreme overcrowding in many cases, as I also have experienced.

Yes, IN BE its for anyone from where-ever. As GOpass 1 for 1 trip or the old style cardboard pass for 10-in which you write down details.
In school hols thetre is usually also GO-UNlimited-but must be loaded on local MoBiB chipcard, cost 5€ for 5 yrs.
ALL cheap local tickets only valid till last real stop, not border tariff point, so pay extra for that short section.
You may want to look into InterRail 1 country=BeNeLux here, as it has lower price for juniors for some days in NL.
In LUX its free-but the short few KMs in BE till border thus must be paid for any trip in addition.

Quakkerillo

In addition to Dutchflyer above: The names have changed in recent years, so the info is a bit outdated.

The Go Pass 1 is now called "Youth Ticket", and costs €6,60 per single journey within Belgium.
The Go Pass (for 10 rides) is now called "Youth Multi" and is €55 on paper, or €53 if you buy it through the NMBS / SNCB app. It allows for 10 journeys within Belgium just like the Youth Ticket.

In July and August, there's the Youth Holiday ticket for either €18/week or €29/month.

If you travel Cross-border, there are also "Youth Ticket" options to/from Roosendaal (NL), Maastricht (NL), and Aachen (DE) which offer a 30% discount on the regular journey price.

Sometimes, it's the cheapest then to combine a ticket to the last station before Belgium, then a Youth Ticket from either of the three stations above to the first station in Belgium, and then the internal Youth Ticket / Youth Holiday ticket for the remainder of the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.