• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vaccine passport disaster in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Sturgeon has probably just disenfranchised every business owner affected by restrictions with this latest statement:

In the words of the wise Greta Thunberg: "It's all blah blah blah."

"Not causing anybody any real hardship.

How dare she. My Mum's partner works as chef in a restaurant and it's been chaos for them as they can't change anything without having to wait for the Government to update. This basically confirms that she'd rather see hospitality etc go down the drain than a virus spread around. Defeats the purpose of the vaccines.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
I see that Her Majesty Queen Nicola has refused to rule out keeping Scotland's mask laws in place on a long term basis. She is saying

None of us enjoy wearing them but they are perhaps not the biggest handicap to endure in order to try to stem transmission.

'So while they can make a difference to controlling the virus then i think it is something we should do.

Sounds like she is trying to soften up the people of Scotland for keeping the mask laws

And then she just has to have her little dig at England.

Again I would suggest that it is England that is the outlier here, not Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, or many countries across the world.'

But if nothing bad happens in England after January 26th, she is going to find it increasingly difficult to justify keeping the mask laws in place.

Opposition parties in Scotland are saying that she cannot bring herself to admit that the restrictions she imposed over Christmas were unecessary and had very little impact.

Nicola Sturgeon refuses to rule out keeping Scotland's mask laws in place for YEARS as she blast Boris Johnson's Covid plan saying England is a global 'outlier'​

• The First Minister said that face coverings were 'not the biggest handicap'
  • Scotland crapping Omicron variant measures - but mask rules remain in place
  • PM has unveiled a bonfire of almost all restrictions in England by March
Nicola Sturgeon said Scotland's mask rules could remain in place for years to come if they help the fight against Covid today - as she blasted Boris Johnson's decision to axe most restrictions from this week.

The First Minister said that face coverings were 'not the biggest handicap' that people were having to endure as the country attempts to recover from Covid.

A range of measures introduced on Boxing Day to deal with the Omicron variant will be scrapped from tomorrow, but laws making masks mandatory in shops and other settings with remain.

In contrast, the Prime Minister has unveiled a bonfire of almost all restrictions in England by March, including guidance on masks.

Asked on the BBC's Sunday Morning programme today if she can see people wearing masks for 'months or years to come', in Scotland, Ms Sturgeon said: 'I hope not. I don't want any of these measures to be in place for any longer than is necessary.

'But masks … are something we can do. None of us enjoy wearing them but they are perhaps not the biggest handicap to endure in order to try to stem transmission.

'So while they can make a difference to controlling the virus then i think it is something we should do.

Again I would suggest that it is England that is the outlier here, not Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, or many countries across the world.'

Scottish Conservative shadow cabinet secretary for Covid recovery, Murdo Fraser said: 'Nicola Sturgeon still can't bring herself to admit the restrictions she imposed over Christmas were unnecessary.

'The SNP are quick to impose Covid rules but far too slow in getting vital funding to businesses. It's shameful that so many small companies are still waiting to receive a single penny.

'It's baffling that Nicola Sturgeon plans to continue with the vaccine passport scheme even though she can't point to any hard evidence showing it's effective.'

Her remarks on the English Covid regime echo those made by her Welsh counterpart Mark Drakeford at the start of January.

He branded England an international 'outlier' in resisting tighter curbs to tackle Omicron and accused the PM of overseeing a 'politically paralysed' administration that had tied his hands.

From tomorrow, bars and restaurants in Scotland will no longer only be able to serve customers seated at tables, while social distancing will also be removed.

Nightclubs will also be allowed to reopen as she sweeps away restrictions in place since before Christmas, while plans to extend the Covid passport scheme have been scrapped.

Attendance limits on indoor events will also be lifted - bringing them into line with outdoor events in a move that came into effect yesterday.

Red Onion

I can feel a sudden “tsunami” of folk with exemptions coming on if that’s the case.

Me included…

duncanp

Established Member
I can feel a sudden “tsunami” of folk with exemptions coming on if that’s the case.

Me included…

But of course, we know Mrs Murrell's real priority, now that Omicron has "...passed its peak...". (not enough to abolish all restrictions, you understand, but enough, apparently, to allow her to carry on with the only thing she really cares about.)

Nicola Sturgeon vows to start process of second independence referendum​

First Minister says the timetable for introducing a Bill for another separation vote would be decided in 'the coming weeks'

Nicola Sturgeon has said Scotland passing the peak of the omicron wave "clears the way" for her introducing legislation for a second independence referendum.

The First Minister said the timetable for introducing a Bill for another separation vote would be decided in “the coming weeks” despite admitting we are “in the throes of a global pandemic that is still unpredictable”.

She said Scotland appeared to be on the "downward slope" of the current omicron spike and she still wanted to lay the groundwork for holding another independence referendum by the end of next year.

However, she was forced to defend her decision to impose tougher restrictions in Scotland over the festive period, insisting they had been worth it despite admitting they had a “very adverse effect” on businesses.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) disclosed last week that one in 20 people in both Scotland and England, where no similar restrictions were imposed, had Covid in the week to Jan 15.

The Tories urged her to put Scotland's Covid recovery first and said her intervention showed "as we know well by now, Nicola Sturgeon's first, last and only real priority is independence."

Murdo Fraser, the Conservatives' Shadow Covid Recovery Minister, added that she "still can't bring herself to admit the restrictions she imposed over Christmas were unnecessary."

Sturgeon to take steps towards referendum by end of 2023​

Ms Sturgeon wants to hold another separation referendum by the end of 2023, while Scotland is still recovering from the pandemic.

She has set out plans to stage her own vote if the Prime Minister refuses to transfer the necessary legal powers and challenge the UK Government to try and block it in the courts.

However, legal experts warned that a Supreme Court ruling last October that her government had overstepped its powers on two other Bills could 'torpedo' her referendum strategy. Constitutional affairs are reserved to Westminster.

An Independence Referendum Bill did not appear in the Scottish Government's legislative timetable for the current Holyrood year, and there is no date for its introduction.

Asked by the BBC's Sophie Raworth when the legislation would be tabled, Ms Sturgeon said: “The preparatory work for that is underway right now. We haven’t decided on the date that we would seek to introduce the Bill. We’ll decide that in the coming weeks.

“But my intention is to take the steps that will facilitate a referendum happening before the end of 2023."

She said she had won last year's Holyrood election on that "proposition", despite the SNP falling one seat short of a majority, and growing numbers of Scots wanted to escape "the chaos, the instability, the unpredictability" of Westminster.

Ms Raworth read Ms Sturgeon a list of the times she had previously promised moves towards another separation vote, including 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.

Challenged when it would actually happen, the First Minister said: “The preparatory work for that is underway and will determine the precise date for introducing that legislation in due course. We are hopefully… on the downward slope of this wave of omicron which clears the way for us to do that."

Sturgeon defends Christmas restrictions​

Asked if additional restrictions in Scotland were worth it, she said: "Yes, I think they were. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland were in broadly the same place and took broadly the same approach. England took a different approach, as it was entitled to do."

She said the ONS survey showed around 5.5 per cent of people in England had the virus compared to 4.5 per cent in Scotland.

But Mr Fraser said: "Nicola Sturgeon throws caution to the wind when it comes to her obsession with another divisive independence referendum. It's reckless to try and split up the country when there's an economic crisis facing working people and businesses

"The SNP are out of touch with the Scottish public's priorities. Instead of trying to separate Scotland from the United Kingdom, they should be focusing on our economic recovery from Covid and protecting public services."

Alex Cole-Hamilton, the Scottish Liberal Democrat leader, said Ms Sturgeon had last week ordered her MSPs to vote down his proposal for a plan to prevent "burnout" among hard-pressed NHS workers.

He added: "The news that her government is busy preparing the case for independence instead says everything about this SNP / Green government’s priorities during this hardest of winters."

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I see that Her Majesty Queen Nicola has refused to rule out keeping Scotland's mask laws in place on a long term basis. She is saying

Sounds like she is trying to soften up the people of Scotland for keeping the mask laws

And then she just has to have her little dig at England.

But if nothing bad happens in England after January 26th, she is going to find it increasingly difficult to justify keeping the mask laws in place.

Opposition parties in Scotland are saying that she cannot bring herself to admit that the restrictions she imposed over Christmas were unecessary and had very little impact.

She can do one with her mandate.

Berliner

That is a particularly stupid comment to make. Especially as she needs business on side for any future independence campaign. The hospitality industry is, or was, massive in Scotland. Coming out with comments like this will do her absolutely no favours if she ever hopes to win their support. Not only that but it's massive ammo for the opposition to use now. What an own goal.

I hope she apologises.

But of course, we know Mrs Murrell's real priority, now that Omicron has "...passed its peak...". (not enough to abolish all restrictions, you understand, but enough, apparently, to allow her to carry on with the only thing she really cares about.)

To be fair, as leader of a party who's primary reason for existing is seeking independence, I'm glad she's finally going to get on with what she was voted in to do. This should have been her main aim all along, but she's Hidden behind Covid long enough. I'm glad she's finally pressing on with what she's meant to be doing.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Apropos of nothing, I am currently on holiday in Scotland (near Aviemore) in a cottage,
and have found that the situation 'on the ground' regarding masks, social distancing,
track and trace and other restrictions is nowhere near as bad as I feared, and in fact
is barely different from England in most respects, with most shops and restaurants
only paying lip service to the various rules.

But going back to the subject of this thread, the one thing that I have really noticed is
the constant barrage of propaganda on TV to "get boosted", "test regularly for Covid", etc.

It really is quite depressing and demoralising. :frown:

MARK

D1024

But going back to the subject of this thread, the one thing that I have really noticed is
the constant barrage of propaganda on TV to "get boosted", "test regularly for Covid", etc.
And also on the radio....

It really is quite depressing and demoralising
Totally! Long ago stopped watching/listening live (other than sports) record/pause and fast forward are our standard modus operandi .

Berliner

Apropos of nothing, I am currently on holiday in Scotland (near Aviemore) in a cottage,
and have found that the situation 'on the ground' regarding masks, social distancing,
track and trace and other restrictions is nowhere near as bad as I feared, and in fact
is barely different from England in most respects, with most shops and restaurants

It really is quite depressing and demoralising.
:frown:

MARK

Yes, it's everywhere, even on most motorway digital signs from what I can see, unless there is particularly bad traffic up ahead, although in the past these would show road safety-related information at quiet time, they are nothing more than government propaganda tools nowadays.

And also on the radio....

Totally! Long ago stopped watching/listening live (other than sports) record/pause and fast forward are our standard modus operandi .
Same here. I stopped watching any covid briefings from anyone in May 2020.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Perhaps people simply don't see her Covid approach as being as bad as the people on this forum think it is. You're entitled to your view, but the fact is she is the most popular leader at holyrood despite all the negative policies.
Plenty of people see her Covid approach as bad; she has managed to unite Celtic and Rangers fans in something, which is quite an achievement (!)

It takes a special sort of incompetence to unite Rangers and Celtic fans in condemnation of Scottish 'government' #COVID19 'policy'.
Being a former female footballer in my youth In Glasgow, this is the stuff that makes my heart happy. Today, Scotland was all under one banner, marching in solidarity for the betterment of our country.

I think the last part of your post was more accurate; she is the most popular (actually least unpopular would be more accurate) despite negative policies. And that's because of a lack of alternatives and the fact that people are considering other aspects, not just the Covid policies, when they look at who to vote for.

But I thought everyone in Scotland worshipped her and obeyed her every command? ;)

On a serious note, this is great news.

That is a particularly stupid comment to make. Especially as she needs business on side for any future independence campaign. The hospitality industry is, or was, massive in Scotland. Coming out with comments like this will do her absolutely no favours if she ever hopes to win their support. Not only that but it's massive ammo for the opposition to use now. What an own goal.

I hope she apologises.
She won't apologise but the longer this goes on, the more people will get fed up of Scotland having more restrictions than England and it will reach a point where she realise it is affecting her popularity.

At that stage she will likely say new data has emerged to suggest the restrictions are no longer necessary.

Last edited:

Falcon1200

Established Member
To be fair, as leader of a party who's primary reason for existing is seeking independence, I'm glad she's finally going to get on with what she was voted in to do.

Which shows just how much the Independence issue distorts politics in Scotland, for surely the Scottish Government is voted in to govern Scotland in accordance with their powers and responsibilities as a devolved administration ?

But I thought everyone in Scotland worshipped her and obeyed her every command?

Only just under half the electorate does ! Many others have a very different view......

Berliner

Which shows just how much the Independence issue distorts politics in Scotland, for surely the Scottish Government is voted in to govern Scotland in accordance with their powers and responsibilities as a devolved administration ?

Only just under half the electorate does ! Many others have a very different view......

But they do govern Scotland. They are merely adding a vote on independence on to the other things they do. There is absolutely nothing stopping them from passing legislation for a vote or planning for one, or requesting it via Westminster.

Just because some people don't like the idea of independence doesn't mean the SNP won't push for it if they continue to win elections.

devon_metro

Established Member
But they do govern Scotland. They are merely adding a vote on independence on to the other things they do. There is absolutely nothing stopping them from passing legislation for a vote or planning for one, or requesting it via Westminster.

Passing legislation for an independence vote is outside the competence of a devolved administration though. We all know how that went when the SNP last knowingly passed legislation that was outside its competence. How much in legal fees for the taxpayer? The only legitimate route is for a vote agreed via Westminster. Sturgeon knows this, but will keep throwing meat to the 30% of the Scottish electorate that voted for the SNP at constituency level in 2021.

102 fan

My late father always told me politicians, once in power forget who put them there and forget that they need their support again to get back into power. I firmly believe the SNP vote will fall in May, independence may be close to people's hearts, but there's only so many restrictions that can be endured. And to now say about continuing mask wearing when its neighbour has dropped that rule is the sort of thing originally only seen in satire.

Berliner

My late father always told me politicians, once in power forget who put them there and forget that they need their support again to get back into power. I firmly believe the SNP vote will fall in May, independence may be close to people's hearts, but there's only so many restrictions that can be endured. And to now say about continuing mask wearing when its neighbour has dropped that rule is the sort of thing originally only seen in satire.

The thing is even if the SNP vote drops, it's only council elections. The mandate given at the last holyrood elections still stands and if she doesn't deliver she will be ousted as leader as she's promised it too much and put it off for too long. With the restrictions easing today in a big way, I suspect by the time the vote comes around we will have barely anything. That said, remember council elections have notoriously low turnouts and the counting system doesn't benefit bigger parties, so it's not the great indicator that people think it is.

Passing legislation for an independence vote is outside the competence of a devolved administration though. We all know how that went when the SNP last knowingly passed legislation that was outside its competence. How much in legal fees for the taxpayer? The only legitimate route is for a vote agreed via Westminster. Sturgeon knows this, but will keep throwing meat to the 30% of the Scottish electorate that voted for the SNP at constituency level in 2021.

30% may have voted for SNP but support for indy is much higher than that, so that's what they focus on. The SNP are just a vehicle to get it, I don't enjoy voting for them, but for me getting out of the UK is a priority and I'll suffer the SNP until they can be disbanded. I suspect Manu feel the same. I hope Alba win big as they have seem to have more teeth. What you say, regarding the vote is true, but it's up to the SNP to either get that agreement or find another way. There is never anything illegal or wrong about asking voters what they want, to suggest or hope otherwise is dictatorial. It's all to do with what they do after the vote is returned. The SNP promised to hold a referendum if they won, they did so, they are even propped up by the greens, there is a pro independence majority in the Scottish parliament. They simply need to deliver a vote, it's up to them how they get round any legal stuff, but they won the election based on that promise.

The current UK government won an election on the basis of get brexit done, so I don't see how this is any different. It's just delivering what the people wanted.

Last edited:

kez19

Established Member
Curiously, do we think the SNP councillors will show face for the upcoming council election? As I wouldn’t mind getting my boot in to express how I really feel (part COVID and part local level)

GS250

She won't apologise but the longer this goes on, the more people will get fed up of Scotland having more restrictions than England and it will reach a point where she realise it is affecting her popularity.

At that stage she will likely say new data has emerged to suggest the restrictions are no longer necessary.

Quite right. The view in Portree (where I spend a couple of months in the year) is that the extra restrictions were absolutely needless. Many believed she was simply doing the opposite to whatever that big, horrible Boris chap decided to do. Ditto the restrictions in Wales. Hospitality is particularly important in Skye and to say the locals were 'raging' is an understatement.

Taking your electorate for granted usually ends up biting you on the backside.

102 fan

Quite right. The view in Portree (where I spend a couple of months in the year) is that the extra restrictions were absolutely needless. Many believed she was simply doing the opposite to whatever that big, horrible Boris chap decided to do. Ditto the restrictions in Wales. Hospitality is particularly important in Skye and to say the locals were 'raging' is an understatement.

Taking your electorate for granted usually ends up biting you on the backside.

I've said this several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.