• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vaccine Passports - currently being considered in Scotland & Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

35B

Established Member
When resources are finite, choices are made. There are actions we can choose - like taking vaccinations - that reduce the need for those choices.

Our choices have consequences; we can’t just say that if only “they” did something different then the choices would be different but live in the real world.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastdyke

Established Member
Presumably the friend, partner, local landlord or donor to the Tories needed a bit of cash.
Cronyism? - it is a lot more serious than that :( I only provided a partial quote from the link that I gave upthread but here is some more with pieces highlighted in red by me.
One highlighted bite refers to Entrust [Corp]. A private US based outfit, I have been unable to establish beneficial ownership but it is likely to be at a totally different level to 'cronyism'. I refrain from further comment lest I be accused of allsorts.

Documents published on Wednesday show that Entrust, a US-based IT firm, is set to receive almost £840,000 from the Government to help produce digital Covid certificates via the NHS app.

The contract is set to last until July next year but will likely be renewed until mid-2023, with pricing for a two-year contract already detailed in official documents.

Entrust was awarded £250,000 earlier this year in a separate Government agreement for its work on the UK vaccine passport scheme.

The contract drew staunch criticism from MPs and civil liberties groups after i revealed Entrust had boasted about being able to “redeploy” vaccine passports into a national ID scheme <<THIS

The company also hosted a webinar in January detailing how vaccine passports would enable governments “to collect valuable data” about citizens.

Senior product manager John Bejjani said: “You’ll understand why it’s not just for travel, you can take it and repurpose it to do such things as national IDs and permits.
Therte are of course a number of 'plausible explanations' for some of this but my concern is direction and speed of travel.
I think that it is all pretty nasty.

sjpowermac

Established Member
Cronyism? - it is a lot more serious than that :( I only provided a partial quote from the link that I gave upthread but here is some more with pieces highlighted in red by me.
One highlighted bite refers to Entrust [Corp]. A private US based outfit, I have been unable to establish beneficial ownership but it is likely to be at a totally different level to 'cronyism'. I refrain from further comment lest I be accused of allsorts.

Therte are of course a number of 'plausible explanations' for some of this but my concern is direction and speed of travel.
Many thanks for the information and I agree with all that you have put there. I very much share the concerns that you, @MikeWM and @NorthKent1989 have expressed on this matter.

I think they're unlikely to be around for domestic use for more than a year or so, though we might see them for international travel for longer.

I'm not massively supportive of them as a concept, although as my entire household is fully vaccinated we have no particular concerns about presenting them if asked.
I have also been double vaccinated, but have enormous concerns about where this is leading. I would certainly do my best to avoid any event or business that required a vaccine passport.

A lot of misunderstanding in this thread.

As for weighing up the options, that's fine, but I am unsure what the downside(s) to the vaccines are claimed to be?

Long term effects of a vaccine would become established in the short term; all vaccine experts have stated this. Check out the video I linked to back in March, also see this:

None of the experts have any concerns in this area and we are now up to over 4 billion vaccine doses administered worldwide.

That is not the purpose of the vaccines, but it does massively reduce the chances of getting an infection.

It does not prevent all transmission, but it does dramatically reduce the possibility. But this isn't the main reason to get vaccinated anyway.

Talk of "herd immunity" is a bit pointless as there is much misunderstanding over what is meant by the term. A strict definition of the term means the virus is eliminated but this is a fallacy; we are headed for endemic equilibrium and that is almost a certainty.

Immunity is not a binary thing and how do we define "immune"?

We don't get sterilising immunity to any Coronavirus; we cannot stop infections; we live with Coronaviruses by developing immunity to them, which protects us against serious illness but does not stop the virus continuing to spread.

Virologists I listen to don't think boosters are going to be needed. I will see if I can get a link and quote to back this up when I get home.

Edit: listen to this podcast, just after the 7minute mark

The argument seems to be that "waning antbibody" levels is a reason for boosters, but you would expect that to happen and it doesn't matter for long term immunity, as our bodies do not retain high levels of antibodies for all viruses we have immunity against! There is no evidence yet that memory B and T cells decline over time to an extent that the vaccines are rendered ineffective.

Also this argument ignores the huge role T-cells play. From around 08:45 in the above video:

Absolutely; the immunity we are aiming for is not sterilising immunity but giving us all the ability to live with SARS-CoV-2 in the same way we get exposed to other human Coronaviruses.

Those who choose not to get vaccinated are still going to get to the same place but it will take longer, they will - on average - be more ill and create more work for the NHS.

An unwise choice on my opinion but it is their right.

I've heard evidence presented that immunity from natural infection is inferior to vaccine induced immunity.

Also you would likely need two infections to be broadly similar to two vaccine shots.

The best immunity will surely be to get vaccinated, then get exposed to the virus and your body will get a natural booster.

Absolutely true, yes.

They may only really need one shot, to get good immunity, but it does make sense to do this.

Natural infections vary massively in terms of severity and the immune response, and so we cannot be consistently sure that someone who had an infection has developed a good immune response, though of course many people will do.

One dose of the vaccine would act as a booster, and give good long term immunity to someone who already had a natural infection.

There is an argument to say that such people shouldn't need a second shot, but there is no harm in it. If they are particularly fussed about avoiding shots, then the J&J vaccine may be a good option for someone who has already had an infection.

Also bear in mind T-cells are key; someone who has had a natural infection who relieves a dose of the vaccine will get a boost to their T-cell immunity. Without this boost, they are much more likely to have a second natural infection and any such infection would be more likely to have worse symptoms than if they had received a dose of the vaccine.

I can see no good argument to say that someone who has had a natural infection would not benefit from being vaccinated.

I completely agree.

Because of authoritarianism, basically

Vaccination massively reduces transmission but does not prevent it entirely.
Many thanks for such an informative and well balanced post, I think this is a much more helpful approach than the quite dismissive attitude of several posters on this thread.

As I’ve mentioned previously, I’ve had both shots and didn’t really give the matter much thought.

I’m totally against vaccine passports. I support people having a choice as to whether or not they take the vaccine.

On the two occasions I’ve been asked my opinion, I’ve tried to put the case for being vaccinated; thanks to your post, I’ll be much better equipped now if asked again!

Last edited:

Eyersey468

Established Member
Oh well, that's a relief, the ever so reliable and trustworthy Grant Shapps, who seems to change his mind more often than his underpants, has said we won't need a vaccine passport to go into a shop or the pub.

What was that I heard about "..never believe anything until it is officially denied..."
Given this government's track record on u turns I don't believe them.

Nym

Established Member

So like I said 3 or 4 pages ago.

It's very likely that any COVID pass scheme will be used for data farming.

Especially anything "app" based.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Government to offer free pizza and Uber rides in exchange for getting vaccine

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ure-young-people-in-uk-covid-jab-vaccinations

Cheap taxi rides and discounts from the biggest takeaway companies are to be deployed by the government in a desperate effort to boost Covid vaccination rates among the young, amid growing legal and political pressure on Boris Johnson over the use of vaccine passports.

Typical that those that can't be bothered to engage in our society are in receipt of more incentives to participate but at least the government are trying a more subtle form of arm twisting. However, they need to be clear that if the appropriate penetration levels aren't achieved then its vaccine passports unless they will categorically say no restrictions will be imposed if cases go up in the autumn as I don't want what freedom ive got back now taken away again because people won't participate.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
When resources are finite, choices are made. There are actions we can choose - like taking vaccinations - that reduce the need for those choices.

Our choices have consequences; we can’t just say that if only “they” did something different then the choices would be different but live in the real world.

It’s hardly a choice if it’s between taking a jab or be excluded from society or getting fired from your job now is it?

As I said earlier let’s not treat cancer patients who’ve smoked all their lives if we’re going down that dangerous logic

DustyBin

Established Member

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ure-young-people-in-uk-covid-jab-vaccinations

Typical that those that can't be bothered to engage in our society are in receipt of more incentives to participate but at least the government are trying a more subtle form of arm twisting. However, they need to be clear that if the appropriate penetration levels aren't achieved then its vaccine passports unless they will categorically say no restrictions will be imposed if cases go up in the autumn as I don't want what freedom ive got back now taken away again because people won't participate.

Some people have made the decision not to get vaccinated at this time, it’s their choice. If (and it’s a big if) we see the return of restrictions, direct your anger/frustration at the government as they’re the ones responsible. They’re playing “divide and conquer” again, try not to get drawn in.

bramling

Veteran Member

For the umpteenth time, many of those who haven't been vaccinated have made that decision after giving the matter a considerable amount of thought. It really isn't a case of "can't be bothered".

Once again we're playing a blame game, based on the fact that we are obsessed with a chosen policy response (restrictions) to a particular issue (rising case numbers). If you want to blame anyone, hold the politicians accountable for choosing that policy option.

The government must love all this - first it was the fault of all those awful people who wouldn't (or couldn't) wear masks, now it will be all those dirty germy people who aren't vaccinated. Neatly deflecting from the NHS having proved inadequate.

Given that everyone I know who hasn't taken the vaccine has done so after conscious thought, I'm not sure a free pizza will make that much difference.

Cdd89

Established Member
I don't want what freedom ive got back now taken away again because people won't participate.
I actually agree with you. But I suspect the difference between our positions (and correct me if I’m wrong!) is that I am only accepting of vaccine passports if restrictions are otherwise unavoidable, by which I mean that a majority of MPs would vote for them in the absence of alternative restrictions by vaccination status. In other words, they are alternatived to lockdowns that would otherwise have been imposed, and should last only for as long as such lockdowns would have lasted.

I am made suspicious by the fact that many of the MPs listed as opposing passports have historically been very pro-restriction.

NorthKent1989

Established Member

As @DustyBin said, direct your anger at the government for using divide and conquer tactics, not young people who don’t feel they need the vaccine and whose lives have been most effected by restrictions.

There is literally no need for domestic vaccine passports for Covid, the government will want them because they’ve been given a taste of power that they don’t want to give up.

I actually agree with you. But I suspect the difference between our positions (and correct me if I’m wrong!) is that I am only accepting of vaccine passports if restrictions are otherwise unavoidable, by which I mean that a majority of MPs would vote for them in the absence of alternative restrictions by vaccination status. In other words, they are alternatived to lockdowns that would otherwise have been imposed, and should last only for as long as such lockdowns would have lasted.

I am made suspicious by the fact that many of the MPs listed as opposing passports have historically been very pro-restriction.

A lot of those MP’s have voted against renewing the Coronavirus act back in March, they’re the ones I trust.

The Lib Dem’s as a party have been very vocal about the use of DVP’s.

Last edited:

Annetts key

Established Member
I’m not sure that young adults per se are being reluctant to get vaccinated. Keep in mind that some have only relatively recently been invited for their vaccination. And how many are actually registered with a NHS doctor with the correct address and telephone details?

The young adults that I know have, or intend to be fully vaccinated. And going on by the conversation between a group of young adults sitting near me on a train yesterday, there is definitely peer pressure to get vaccinated. As that is all they talked about for a few minutes.

35B

Established Member
Well, yes to the self-interest [*], but I'm 100% sure there will be a booster rollout here too in the next month or two.

[*] one of the more interesting things about the last 18 months or so is the way that so many of those who, correctly, used to look very sceptically at big pharma, its interests, its issues, and its interesting relationship with the truth - as shown by the vast number of legal settlements and judgements over the years against it - have somehow decided that it is now the best thing ever and our saviours and totally honest and trustworthy.

Yes, I believe they all work on the 'spike'. It is possible if the spike mutated significantly, the vaccines would no longer work - but the standard immune system would have a better chance, because that's not the only part of the virus it knows.

I still don't understand the 'more effective' part. I suppose during the period that you directly still have antibodies responding to the vaccine - a matter of months - that may well be better at fighting off a new infection quicker than having the period where a naturally-immune person's body notices they have been re-infected and starts production of the antibodies again. But that's all I can see that could possibly be 'more effective' and that is very short-lived.

The question then is whether, after the antibodies have gone a few months after vaccination, the vaccinated person is left in as good a position to make antibodies - and to make the correct neutralising antibodies, as opposed to dangerous non-neutralising antibodies (the cause of ADE) - compared to someone that was naturally infected. There's not much evidence on this so far because the vaccines are still very new.

I think that depends on what you're mitigating against. I don't believe this disease is remotely serious enough to require the mitigations you suggest. If this was a disease with an IFR of say 10% and we had a very effective vaccine that prevented transmission, I may - reluctantly - support the sort of coercion we're seeing at the moment. But we're not in that position.

I'm not sure I exactly said that :) I do think there have to be strict boundaries between the state and the individual however, and bodily autonomy is one of the most important to reserve to the individual.

For the same reason, I totally oppose the change made last year to the organ donation laws (that donation is now presumed), despite being on the register myself and strongly supporting organ donation. My body is not the property of the state.

But, whatever other objections I may have about that, this argument doesn't even get out of the starting blocks if the vaccines don't have much effect on transmission, and it increasingly appears that they don't. As I said above, even the NHS now says 'up to half' - ie. actually rather less than half.
A somewhat delayed response, as this deserved better than I had time for. On some specifics:

Big Pharma. Big Pharma have largely ignored vaccines, because they are not a particularly profitable market for them. They cost a hell of a lot to develop (like all pharmaceutical products), and don't generate repeat business in the way that medicines do. I have tremendous respect for their scientific firepower at the same time that I am uncomfortable about their approach to business. In the case of Covid, I'm generally impressed by how they've responded, both in the vaccines and with some of the therapeutics - bearing in mind that dexamethasone (proven highly effective) is just as much an out of patent item off the back shelf as the grifters' favourites Hydroxycloroquine and Ivermectin.

Bodily autonomy. We agree on that being vitally important, though draw our lines in slightly different places. For example, I have chosen to specifically register my donor wishes rather than have them presumed; I dislike the feudal idea that the state owns my body, and believe the volunatrism of donation is important. However, I don't extend from my belief in "my body, my decision" to an untrammelled right to complete personal freedom over what I do with my body. I believe that, where the impact of a disease is significant in the population as a whole (and Covid, whatever else you think about the appropriate responses to it, has been that), government does have a role in helping determine and enforce standards. While I'm not personally convinced compulsory vaccination is a good answer to this, I do believe that it is both a legitimate and proportionate option for a government to consider and potentially enforce, something that has been supported by cases taken through courts on human rights grounds. Likewise, though I believe contrarian resistance to vaccination will be boosted by mandating vaccines to do certain activities, I don't agree with those who argue that choice is something that must be limited to saying passively "you may do x or y" - people and organisations are entitled to express their preferences too.

Proportionality. This is for me key. We've seen a disease that, from the starting blocks, has killed vast numbers of people in just over a year. The impact of that disease has been dramatic, and everywhere that's had significant measured outbreaks has seen massive impact on society even without lockdowns. That's with an IFR of a tenth of what you suggest as a threshold. Vaccines give us an option of, in the worst plausible case, mitigating that to a minimal level and addressing the genuine impact that this highly transmissible disease has on the ability of hospitals to function effectively - and therefore giving society the chance to operate freely.

Finally, I dismissed Hart Group, not because I wasn't willing to engage with their claims, but because their way of working is so fundamentally dishonest that their claims don't merit that effort. Their approach is fundamentally dishonest, and their methods designed to obscure and evade. A blogger I respect has written on the way that the anti-scientific desperately want to engage in "debates", choosing to ignore the way that science isn't amenable to the techniques of public debate, and that scientific facts don't conform to the disciplines of public debate - especially in front of non-experts.

Vaccine efficacy. @yorkie's posted at length on that, and his posts reflects all that I've seen from credible sources. I also reiterate the point of my mathematical thought experiment - that vaccination delivers protection from infection and severe illness with massively fewer side effects than naturally acquired immunity.

Yew

Established Member
I’m not sure that young adults per se are being reluctant to get vaccinated. Keep in mind that some have only relatively recently been invited for their vaccination. And how many are actually registered with a NHS doctor with the correct address and telephone details?
Indeed, and if you've tested positive, you cannot have the vaccine within a month, if I recall correctly.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
As @DustyBin said, direct your anger at the government for using divide and conquer tactics, not young people who don’t feel they need the vaccine and whose lives have been most effected by restrictions.
Young people participate in vaccination programmes from a young age, as i did, and we have, until this blessed virus rocked up, largely contained the worst diseases that young people can get so the government ought to be doing much more to show the benefit. They also need to cut themselves adrift of the staid approach they are taking which might work with oldies like me who weren't bought up on devices but for younger generation they need use these channels. So im quite happy with jabs for pizzas might cost a few quid but far better way of spending money than test & trace. Good news is 18-29 age group is now above 60% jabbed and the double jabbed are building fast as well so I doubt we will actually get to need vaccine passports but nothing wrong in keeping the pressure up for a few more weeks.

island

Veteran Member

The young adults that I know have, or intend to be fully vaccinated. And going on by the conversation between a group of young adults sitting near me on a train yesterday, there is definitely peer pressure to get vaccinated. As that is all they talked about for a few minutes.
Anyone who wants to get vaccinated in this country can do so with little difficulty. I was even stopped outside the NEC this afternoon by an NHS nurse asking me if I wanted to get a Pfizer vaccination (having already had two, I declined).

MikeWM

Established Member
My apologies for not responding earlier; I've been a little busy over the weekend (though not doing anything particularly interesting, sadly :)

As for weighing up the options, that's fine, but I am unsure what the downside(s) to the vaccines are claimed to be?

I think that has already been covered in another response, and this is going to be a long enough reply as it is...

Long term effects of a vaccine would become established in the short term; all vaccine experts have stated this.

But that wouldn't be true in the case of ADE, for example. As far as I understand it, that would only start to show when the original antibody protection had faded away, which even for the earliest people who were vaccinated would only start to be the case around now.

Equally if there was eg. an effect on fertility - assuming it wasn't totally devastating, but say it affected 5 or 10% of people - it is likely it would take a year or two before it was fully noticed.

None of the experts have any concerns in this area and we are now up to over 4 billion vaccine doses administered worldwide.

Indeed - in effect, it is the largest clinical trial in the history of the world. We have to hope that it doesn't go badly.

That is not the purpose of the vaccines, but it does massively reduce the chances of getting an infection.

I agree it isn't the purpose, but does it massive reduce it? The figures from Israel - and also those in the recent CDC studies eg. in Massachusetts (yes, I know, I don't really want to pray in aid organisations that have been wrong so many times before, so maybe don't take that too seriously) - suggest that there isn't really a lot of difference in proportion of infections between the unvaccinated and vaccinated. Severity of infection, at this point, there is a fairly big difference, but not infections per se.

It does not prevent all transmission, but it does dramatically reduce the possibility. But this isn't the main reason to get vaccinated anyway.

Well, as I've said a few times in this thread now, even the NHS (in their incessant adverts that keep polluting my twitter feed) says that the reduction in transmission is 'up to half', which when someone is selling something to me I read as 'not much at all'.

But it clearly doesn't stop transmission entirely, so why are we talking about vaccine passports?

Virologists I listen to don't think boosters are going to be needed. I will see if I can get a link and quote to back this up when I get home.

And yet, as reported today, we're going to start rolling them out very soon here. Just like they've started in Israel.

The argument seems to be that "waning antbibody" levels is a reason for boosters, but you would expect that to happen and it doesn't matter for long term immunity, as our bodies do not retain high levels of antibodies for all viruses we have immunity against!

I entirely agree (in fact it was partly due to previous videos you linked, that taught me about this stuff last year :)

So why are we going down the 'booster' route as soon as the antibodies wear off? Is there something amiss with the T-cell etc. immunity provided by the vaccinations - is it as good as natural immunity?

Absolutely; the immunity we are aiming for is not sterilising immunity but giving us all the ability to live with SARS-CoV-2 in the same way we get exposed to other human Coronaviruses.

Do you not think we've effectively hit that when we're going to get to 90% of adults vaccinated, and a higher % than that of those vulnerable?

Again, so why not move on now, rather than the ever-more ludicrous measures we're resorting to (sticks - vaccine passports, carrots - free pizza, discount at McDonalds... what a joke) to get the small remaining group to be vaccinated?

Those who choose not to get vaccinated are still going to get to the same place but it will take longer, they will - on average - be more ill and create more work for the NHS.

An unwise choice on my opinion but it is their right.

Yes, exactly as it should be. I acknowledge that this is the choice I've made - I fully expect to be exposed to the virus at some point, if I haven't already.

I've heard evidence presented that immunity from natural infection is inferior to vaccine induced immunity.

But why? Is that the case for other diseases?

The best immunity will surely be to get vaccinated, then get exposed to the virus and your body will get a natural booster.

That's assuming the vaccine gives as good long-term protection (T-cells, etc.) as natural immunity. *Or*, if not, then assuming a natural infection can 'overwrite' the protection that the vaccine has written into your immune system. I'm not sure that will happen (does anyone know?) - so if long-term vaccine-derived immunity was inferior to natural immunity, then those vaccinated will eventually be in a worse place to deal with future mutations etc. and indeed may not then be able to 'correct' their immune system to the position it would reach from natural immunity.

At this point it seems there is far too much we don't know about this, because the initial antibody immunity is only just starting to wear off.

They may only really need one shot, to get good immunity, but it does make sense to do this.

Also bear in mind T-cells are key; someone who has had a natural infection who relieves a dose of the vaccine will get a boost to their T-cell immunity. Without this boost, they are much more likely to have a second natural infection and any such infection would be more likely to have worse symptoms than if they had received a dose of the vaccine.

I can see no good argument to say that someone who has had a natural infection would not benefit from being vaccinated.

I don't really see the logic in that, sorry. If you've fought off the intection once naturally, why would challenging your immune system a second time via the vaccine 'improve' the T-cell etc. immunity? Wouldn't the immune system just say 'yep, my immune system did the job there, we're good'.

As a (fairly silly) analogy, if I get a virus on my computer then, once I've had the hassle of dealing with it, I'm going to upgrade my anti-virus software to one that recognises that virus and deals with it. If I then get notified that the new software has recognised the virus again and dealt with it properly, I'm going to say 'well done' and happily get on with my life, not 'guess I need to upgrade the software again'.

Because of authoritarianism, basically

I think this may be the fundamental difference here. I don't think that going along with this authoritarianism is going to get rid of it, I think it is going to make it much worse. That's been the case all along - with lockdowns, distancing, masks, curfews, all that nonsense - and while I don't put the vaccines in quite the same category because unlike most/all of those things they do make a difference, but I see the *coercion* over vaccination as part of the same drive.

Vaccination massively reduces transmission but does not prevent it entirely.

I'm no longer convinced that it 'massively' does so - which further destroys any possible argument for vaccine passports from a epidemiological point of view. Of course they can never be justified anyway in a supposedly 'free' society.

Cdd89

Established Member
Yes, exactly as it should be. I acknowledge that this is the choice I've made - I fully expect to be exposed to the virus at some point, if I haven't already.
It is absolutely your choice. But do remember that (although they would never admit it), the most vocal pro-restriction voices will be smiling at your decision, because you form a pool of unvaccinated adults that can be pointed to as evidence to support other restrictions. Indeed several of the points in your post (and I can see you’ve given it a lot of thought - probably more than me, to be fair!) are points made most forcefully by the pro-restriction lobby, such as the effect on onward transmission. The larger the pool of unvaccinated people is, the more persuasive calls to “protect them” are. See the recent regression in the US.

If any part of you is avoiding the vaccine in order to spite people who exaggerate about the individual severity of the virus, I’d suggest the opposite will be far more effective.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have also been double vaccinated, but have enormous concerns about where this is leading. I would certainly do my best to avoid any event or business that required a vaccine passport.
Same here.

But that wouldn't be true in the case of ADE, for example. As far as I understand it, that would only start to show when the original antibody protection had faded away, which even for the earliest people who were vaccinated would only start to be the case around now.

Scientists designed animal studies to look for ADE. They looked for it in human trials, and they've been looking for it in the real-world data for COVID-19 vaccines with emergency use authorization. So far, they haven't seen signs of it. In fact, the opposite is happening, Lowe noted.

"[W]hat seems to be beyond doubt is that the vaccinated subjects, over and over, show up with no severe coronavirus cases and no hospitalizations. That is the opposite of what you would expect if ADE were happening," he wrote.

Furthermore, ADE is an acute problem, and it can be very dramatic. If it was an issue with these vaccines, we would have spotted it by now...

Also, do you realise that antibodies are not the key to fighting this virus, T-cells are?

Equally if there was eg. an effect on fertility - assuming it wasn't totally devastating, but say it affected 5 or 10% of people - it is likely it would take a year or two before it was fully noticed.

There's no evidence the COVID-19 vaccines have any effect on your chances of becoming pregnant.

Indeed - in effect, it is the largest clinical trial in the history of the world.
Isn't any vaccine a "clinical trial" by that definition?

We have to hope that it doesn't go badly.
It's going fantastically; what's the alternative?

I agree it isn't the purpose, but does it massive reduce it? The figures from Israel - and also those in the recent CDC studies eg. in Massachusetts (yes, I know, I don't really want to pray in aid organisations that have been wrong so many times before, so maybe don't take that too seriously) - suggest that there isn't really a lot of difference in proportion of infections between the unvaccinated and vaccinated. Severity of infection, at this point, there is a fairly big difference, but not infections per se.
That's the opposite to the studies I've seen; rates of infection are much higher in unvaccinated individuals compared to those who are vaccinated.

That said, Israel may not be seeing such good longer term efficacy due to the short interval they had between doses, which we know from other vaccines is unlikely to be optimal, and now the data for Sars-CoV-2 suggests at least 8 weeks is best.

But this is deflecting from the real aim of vaccines.

Well, as I've said a few times in this thread now, even the NHS (in their incessant adverts that keep polluting my twitter feed) says that the reduction in transmission is 'up to half', which when someone is selling something to me I read as 'not much at all'.
A reduction in transmission of 50% would still be significant, but the data we are seeing suggests it's better than that, also people appear to be less infectious and for a shorter duration.

But this is focusing on something that is not even the primary purpose of vaccines.

But it clearly doesn't stop transmission entirely, so why are we talking about vaccine passports?
I do not support vaccine passports.

For Governments, the main benefit of getting people vaccinated is to reduce the burden on the health system (people who refuse to get vaccinated are inevitably going to be exposed to the virus at some point and a very small proportion of those will become seriously ill, but a small proportion of a few million people is going to still be several thousand people)

But they're being promoted more as protecting others, which is absurd really.

Vaccine passports are not appropriate but in arguing against them I do not think we should be dismissing the importance of vaccines; we should not be denying the effectiveness of them; we should not be questioning their safety (they are very safe; the alternative is for people to face a natural infection without any prior vaccination as this virus is NOT going to go away)

And yet, as reported today, we're going to start rolling them out very soon here. Just like they've started in Israel.
I don't agree with it, but this isn't a reason to argue against the vaccines themselves.

I entirely agree (in fact it was partly due to previous videos you linked, that taught me about this stuff last year :)

So why are we going down the 'booster' route as soon as the antibodies wear off?
That is exactly what virologists are saying.

That said, for vulnerable people (not the average person) there is an argument to say that anything that can boost efficacy further is worth considering, for example giving someone a booster that has been optimised for the latest mutations in the virus and/or a booster of a different type of vaccine compared to the original one administered, may help the individual produce a broader and stronger immune response.

Whether the time is yet right for this, particularly given there are countries where a significant proportion of older people have not been offered any vaccines yet, is perhaps questionable though.

Is there something amiss with the T-cell etc. immunity provided by the vaccinations - is it as good as natural immunity?
Immunity through vaccination or natural infection does differ; the latter is less consistent from one person to another and in most people is likely comparable to just one shot of a two shot vaccine.

There are articles which look into this in detail such as:

...Also, it’s possible that mRNA delivery may change the way antigens are presented to the immune system, leading to differences in the antibodies that get produced. A third difference is that natural infection only exposes the body to the virus in the respiratory tract (unless the illness is very severe), while the vaccine is delivered to muscle, where the immune system may have an even better chance of seeing it and responding vigorously....
Studies have shown that people who have been infected can benefit significantly from vaccination. It gives them a strong, lasting immunity boost. After receiving the first dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, they have immunity levels comparable to those of uninfected people who have received their second dose.
.... two classic cases in which vaccines generate immunity superior to that generated by natural infection are varicella zoster virus, which can lead to shingles, and human papillomavirus (HPV), some strains of which cause various malignancies, including cervical, penile and oropharyngeal cancer. Varicella zoster virus typically causes chickenpox in children and young adults and is resolved but rendered latent so that when re-activated in later life, it can lead to shingles. Immunity arising from the primary infection does not prevent the disease in those who develop shingles. However, the recently developed vaccines Zostavax and Shingrix do offer protection against shingles...
Do you not think we've effectively hit that when we're going to get to 90% of adults vaccinated, and a higher % than that of those vulnerable?
It's difficult to say. I personally feel we are at a high enough level that we should not be considering vaccine passports or anything draconian like that.

Again, so why not move on now, rather than the ever-more ludicrous measures we're resorting to (sticks - vaccine passports, carrots - free pizza, discount at McDonalds... what a joke) to get the small remaining group to be vaccinated?
I don't agree with any of those proposals.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to go into that battle without first giving your immune system some extra tools to deal with it, but I don't think you should be forced into it.

But why? Is that the case for other diseases?
This varies massively for different diseases. In some cases you get sterilising immunity through natural infection, while in others natural infection is vastly inferior to vaccination.

There are many articles on this subject; here is one:
Vaccines have other advantages over natural infections. For one, they can be designed to focus the immune system against specific antigens that elicit better responses.

For instance, the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine elicits a stronger immune response than infection by the virus itself. One reason for this is that the vaccine contains high concentrations of a viral coat protein, more than what would occur in a natural infection. This triggers strongly neutralising antibodies, making the vaccine very effective at preventing infection.

The natural immunity against HPV is especially weak, as the virus uses various tactics to evade the host immune system. Many viruses, including HPV, have proteins that block the immune response or simply lie low to avoid detection. Indeed, a vaccine that provides accessible antigens in the absence of these other proteins may allow us to control the response in a way that a natural infection does not.

As I have said many times before, I agree with virologists who say the best thing to do is get two doses of a vaccine, and then we can go back to living normally, accepting that we will get natural infections that will act as boosters.

While immunity through vaccination gives better protection than through a natural infection, we will be able to generate an even broader immune response once we have also had a natural infection in addition to having been vaccinated.

That's assuming the vaccine gives as good long-term protection (T-cells, etc.) as natural immunity.
The evidence so far is that it will give better long term immunity, especially if the first and second doses are spread out over a period of at least 8 weeks.

*Or*, if not, then assuming a natural infection can 'overwrite' the protection that the vaccine has written into your immune system.
It's not a case of 'overwriting' as such; you can get a broader immune response.

I'm not sure that will happen (does anyone know?) - so if long-term vaccine-derived immunity was inferior to natural immunity, then those vaccinated will eventually be in a worse place to deal with future mutations etc. and indeed may not then be able to 'correct' their immune system to the position it would reach from natural immunity.
This is completely fictional and untrue. If you read this somewhere, I'd stop reading your source!

At this point it seems there is far too much we don't know about this, because the initial antibody immunity is only just starting to wear off.
Our bodies are not designed to constantly have antibodies against all known pathogens circulating at high levels. It's an irrelevance.

I don't really see the logic in that, sorry. If you've fought off the intection once naturally, why would challenging your immune system a second time via the vaccine 'improve' the T-cell etc. immunity? Wouldn't the immune system just say 'yep, my immune system did the job there, we're good'.
I refer you to the previous links, and here are some more:
These are the findings of a study of 51 UK healthcare workers, around half of whom had a previous laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection.

It showed that a single dose of Pfizer/BioNTech’s RNA vaccine resulted in a significantly enhanced immune response against the virus, compared to a single dose in those without prior infection. The enhanced response was at least an order of magnitude greater than after a conventional two-dose vaccine schedule in a previously uninfected individual.
The findings from Hatziioannou and her colleagues also hint at the biological underpinnings of one jab’s effectiveness in exposed people. In the 12 months after participants were infected, their memory B cells had not been static. Instead, those cells spent the entire year evolving, which left them able to craft antibodies even more potent and versatile than those that they produced immediately after infection.

Other studies corroborate that thinking, with some showing that one shot can spur the growth of antibodies and infection-fighting T cells alike6,7. “We’re all seeing pretty much the same thing,” says John Wherry, an immunologist at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine in Philadelphia. For people who have recovered from COVID-19, “the second shot doesn’t seem to do a whole lot”.

The message is clear: anyone who has already had Covid gets a huge boost after a single dose of a vaccine. A second dose is probably not needed, at last not from an immunological point of view.

It makes no sense to claim that people who have had a natural infection do not benefit from vaccination though; they clearly do.

As a (fairly silly) analogy, if I get a virus on my computer then, once I've had the hassle of dealing with it, I'm going to upgrade my anti-virus software to one that recognises that virus and deals with it. If I then get notified that the new software has recognised the virus again and dealt with it properly, I'm going to say 'well done' and happily get on with my life, not 'guess I need to upgrade the software again'.
Anti virus software does not work in the same way that our immune system works, and there is nothing in common between computer viruses and live viruses, so there really isn't any point in getting into analogies.

I think this may be the fundamental difference here. I don't think that going along with this authoritarianism is going to get rid of it, I think it is going to make it much worse. That's been the case all along - with lockdowns, distancing, masks, curfews, all that nonsense - and while I don't put the vaccines in quite the same category because unlike most/all of those things they do make a difference, but I see the *coercion* over vaccination as part of the same drive.
I agree that going along with authoritarianism isn't going to get rid of it. That is why I reject vaccine passports, mandatory masks, lockdowns etc.

But getting vaccinated is not going along with authoritarianism. A

I'm no longer convinced that it 'massively' does so - which further destroys any possible argument for vaccine passports from a epidemiological point of view. Of course they can never be justified anyway in a supposedly 'free' society.
See above, and I agree that vaccine passports are not justifiable.

It is absolutely your choice. But do remember that (although they would never admit it), the most vocal pro-restriction voices will be smiling at your decision, because you form a pool of unvaccinated adults that can be pointed to as evidence to support other restrictions. Indeed several of the points in your post (and I can see you’ve given it a lot of thought - probably more than me, to be fair!) are points made most forcefully by the pro-restriction lobby, such as the effect on onward transmission. The larger the pool of unvaccinated people is, the more persuasive calls to “protect them” are. See the recent regression in the US.

If any part of you is avoiding the vaccine in order to spite people who exaggerate about the individual severity of the virus, I’d suggest the opposite will be far more effective.
I completely agree with this.

Bantamzen

Established Member
A somewhat delayed response, as this deserved better than I had time for. On some specifics:

Big Pharma. Big Pharma have largely ignored vaccines, because they are not a particularly profitable market for them. They cost a hell of a lot to develop (like all pharmaceutical products), and don't generate repeat business in the way that medicines do. I have tremendous respect for their scientific firepower at the same time that I am uncomfortable about their approach to business. In the case of Covid, I'm generally impressed by how they've responded, both in the vaccines and with some of the therapeutics - bearing in mind that dexamethasone (proven highly effective) is just as much an out of patent item off the back shelf as the grifters' favourites Hydroxycloroquine and Ivermectin.

Bodily autonomy. We agree on that being vitally important, though draw our lines in slightly different places. For example, I have chosen to specifically register my donor wishes rather than have them presumed; I dislike the feudal idea that the state owns my body, and believe the volunatrism of donation is important. However, I don't extend from my belief in "my body, my decision" to an untrammelled right to complete personal freedom over what I do with my body. I believe that, where the impact of a disease is significant in the population as a whole (and Covid, whatever else you think about the appropriate responses to it, has been that), government does have a role in helping determine and enforce standards. While I'm not personally convinced compulsory vaccination is a good answer to this, I do believe that it is both a legitimate and proportionate option for a government to consider and potentially enforce, something that has been supported by cases taken through courts on human rights grounds. Likewise, though I believe contrarian resistance to vaccination will be boosted by mandating vaccines to do certain activities, I don't agree with those who argue that choice is something that must be limited to saying passively "you may do x or y" - people and organisations are entitled to express their preferences too.

Proportionality. This is for me key. We've seen a disease that, from the starting blocks, has killed vast numbers of people in just over a year. The impact of that disease has been dramatic, and everywhere that's had significant measured outbreaks has seen massive impact on society even without lockdowns. That's with an IFR of a tenth of what you suggest as a threshold. Vaccines give us an option of, in the worst plausible case, mitigating that to a minimal level and addressing the genuine impact that this highly transmissible disease has on the ability of hospitals to function effectively - and therefore giving society the chance to operate freely.

Finally, I dismissed Hart Group, not because I wasn't willing to engage with their claims, but because their way of working is so fundamentally dishonest that their claims don't merit that effort. Their approach is fundamentally dishonest, and their methods designed to obscure and evade. A blogger I respect has written on the way that the anti-scientific desperately want to engage in "debates", choosing to ignore the way that science isn't amenable to the techniques of public debate, and that scientific facts don't conform to the disciplines of public debate - especially in front of non-experts.

Vaccine efficacy. @yorkie's posted at length on that, and his posts reflects all that I've seen from credible sources. I also reiterate the point of my mathematical thought experiment - that vaccination delivers protection from infection and severe illness with massively fewer side effects than naturally acquired immunity.
The primary role of vaccine is to protect the person taking it. Therefore the decision to have or not to have it is, and should always be their choice. Not the government's, not SAGE, not their medical professionals & not yours. And having a vaccine is not some exercise in altruism, having the vaccine is a precaution against getting seriously ill. Forcing people to take it, or even trying to guilt people into doing should not be acceptable in a modern society. We are more than capable of making our own decisions on such things, as seen by over 88% having had the first dose & over 72% having had the second.

Yew

Established Member
I feel that's a Political, rather than immunological decision.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Saw a sticker on a bus stop yesterday:

“If the vaccines work, then vaccine passports are pointless.

If the vaccines don’t work, then vaccine passports are pointless.”
sjpowermac said:
I too would avoid any business requiring one. It will blow over eventually.

NorthKent1989

Established Member

I’ve seen those stickers a lot in some parts of London.

I personally think that this will blow over, there has been mass protests globally against such measures (France, Australia and over here in the U.K.)

MikeWM

Established Member

Well, the truth is the truth - *if* it is the truth - even if I'd rather not particularly be associated with the groups saying it. Nothing new there, I've been getting used to that over the past year-and-a-bit.

But I do see a lot of doubt for example about the CDC studies they were using to justify reintroducing masks - doubt which is perfectly justified given the rubbish they've come out with previously. I guess time will tell.

Well, fortunately it isn't. My decision is entirely based upon *my* medical history and *my* doubts given the unknown long-term safety of these vaccines, plus ethical issues around their manufacture and testing. The decision is entirely based on my own analysis of my own health interests - as it *ought* to be for everyone. For the same reason I haven't ever told anyone to take, or not take, this vaccine, or indeed any other medical treatment - that decision ought to be entirely up to the individual.

----

<ADE stuff>

I'm not particularly reassured by the fact that it hasn't been seen yet, because it is only likely to be a serious issue after antibodies have waned, which is only just starting to happen even in the earliest of those vaccinated. As the article you've linked to says '{the best known route for ADE} occurs when non-neutralizing antibodies generated by past infection or vaccination fail to shut down the pathogen upon re-exposure' - ie. after the original antibody 'hit' from the vaccine is over.

As for the risk then from variants, the comment in that article is 'To date, there's really no evidence of ADE with the COVID-19 vaccines. It's all theoretical,' which is good so far, but doesn't entirely reassure...

Also, do you realise that antibodies are not the key to fighting this virus, T-cells are?

Yes, which is why I find all the talk of boosters is rather confusing/concerning.

The problem there is that there is pretty much no evidence about this *at all* - pregnant women were explicitly excluded from the clinical trials.

Note that I'm not suggesting there is an issue here - but it is a good example of something that, if it did happen, would not immediately be apparent.

Isn't any vaccine a "clinical trial" by that definition?

In most cases we at least wait for stage 3 of the clinical trials to be over before rolling out to the general population. For these vaccines the stage 3 trials aren't over until late 2022/early 2023. The whole point of stage 3 trials is to test the efficacy and safety in a large-enough group of people that reasonable statistical conclusions can be drawn.

As I've said a number of times before, in this particular case I totally support the rollout of the vaccines for those that need and/or want them before all these important stages were complete. But when we start talking about mandates, or vaccine passports, or even free pizzas, before the usual processes are complete, than that is totally wrong.

It's going fantastically; what's the alternative?

Vaccinate those who are vulnerable to the disease and let the others catch it naturally. Just as we do with flu each year.

But this is deflecting from the real aim of vaccines.

I agree here. The aim of this vaccine in particular is to reduce severity of symptoms in those who catch the disease. So far they appear to be pretty good at that. But the waters are totally muddied by pushing it on people who don't need it, along with things like 'vaccine passports' which imply the vaccines are effective at doing things that they're not.

A reduction in transmission of 50% would still be significant, but the data we are seeing suggests it's better than that, also people appear to be less infectious and for a shorter duration.

But this is focusing on something that is not even the primary purpose of vaccines.

True, but it is relevant to whether vaccine passports are of any use whatever (trying to stay vaguely on topic ;)

Vaccine passports are not appropriate but in arguing against them I do not think we should be dismissing the importance of vaccines; we should not be denying the effectiveness of them; we should not be questioning their safety (they are very safe; the alternative is for people to face a natural infection without any prior vaccination as this virus is NOT going to go away)

If the government are going to go down the route of requiring people undergo medical treatment to do 'normal' things I think it is required to examine the effectiveness and safety of that medical treatment. That's part of 'informed consent', which is still a vital part of the relationship between the individual and medicine.

I don't agree with it, but this isn't a reason to argue against the vaccines themselves.

I think it is a reason to question why, if the vaccines do what we're told they do, the boosters are supposedly 'necessary'.

There are articles which look into this in detail such as:

But for example take this quote
Studies have shown that people who have been infected can benefit significantly from vaccination. It gives them a strong, lasting immunity boost. After receiving the first dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, they have immunity levels comparable to those of uninfected people who have received their second dose.

Is that surprising - that sounds like exactly what I'd expect. Doesn't that just show that the body is good at creating antibodies after the first exposure - whether natural, or via the vaccine? Why wouldn't the body be as good at doing that if exposed to the infection a second time, rather than via the vaccine? I'm not sure what the 'benefit' is here, other than perhaps having some bonus antibodies for a few months, which I suppose could be useful if you're then infected *again*, but only during those few months.

This varies massively for different diseases. In some cases you get sterilising immunity through natural infection, while in others natural infection is vastly inferior to vaccination.

Doesn't that depend on the 'quality' of the vaccination though? I've seen quite a bit of concern from a number of virologists that focusing the vaccines specifically on the 'spike' isn't the correct long-term approach and something broader would be better.

While immunity through vaccination gives better protection than through a natural infection, we will be able to generate an even broader immune response once we have also had a natural infection in addition to having been vaccinated.

Perhaps. I suspect the immunity will be different depending on the order of when stuff happens. Whether that is better, again time will tell I guess.

The evidence so far is that it will give better long term immunity, especially if the first and second doses are spread out over a period of at least 8 weeks.

Again, I'm not convinced we can evaluate long-term immunity in any meaningful way yet, given these vaccines have not been around for anything like the long-term.

It's not a case of 'overwriting' as such; you can get a broader immune response.

But is 'broader' always better, or does it for example increase the risk of creating non-neutralising antibodies and hence possibly ADE?

This is completely fictional and untrue. If you read this somewhere, I'd stop reading your source!

No, just a thought experiment :)

Our bodies are not designed to constantly have antibodies against all known pathogens circulating at high levels.

I agree, which is one of the reasons I find the booster shots idea rather concerning.

The message is clear: anyone who has already had Covid gets a huge boost after a single dose of a vaccine. A second dose is probably not needed, at last not from an immunological point of view.

It makes no sense to claim that people who have had a natural infection do not benefit from vaccination though; they clearly do.

Well, similar to what I said above it looks like they produce a lot of antibodies when vaccinated if they've already had it; wouldn't we expect that to be the case? All that seems to show to me is that the natural infection is giving them good protection already.

The stuff about B- and T-cells is more interesting but I'm not sure what they're saying it means (eg. the 'useful' B-cell 'evolution' mentioned seems to be a result of the natural infection, not the subsequent vaccination).

But getting vaccinated is not going along with authoritarianism.

It is if you're only doing it because you won't be allowed to travel otherwise, or go to a nightclub, or keep your job. Which is exactly what we're now talking about.

----

Big Pharma. Big Pharma have largely ignored vaccines, because they are not a particularly profitable market for them. They cost a hell of a lot to develop (like all pharmaceutical products), and don't generate repeat business in the way that medicines do.

That certainly isn't the case now! Look at how much Pfizer have made over the past year, or the share price of Moderna. And with 'boosters' they're setting up a guaranteed massive revenue stream, possibly for decades to come.

I have tremendous respect for their scientific firepower at the same time that I am uncomfortable about their approach to business.

Yes, that's fair, I agree.

Bodily autonomy. We agree on that being vitally important, though draw our lines in slightly different places.

Again fair. I disagree with your position, as you do with mine, but I understand it.

Society has previously operated freely throughout significantly worse pandemics than this. That it has not this time was a political choice. Of course it is bad when a pandemic comes along and people die, but they do, and historically this isn't really a particularly notable pandemic. The idea that we should effectively stop society while we wait for vaccines to hopefully ride to the rescue for a pandemic - particularly one of this (lack of) severity - is a very dangerous precedent.

Finally, I dismissed Hart Group, not because I wasn't willing to engage with their claims, but because their way of working is so fundamentally dishonest that their claims don't merit that effort.

As is your right. Though looking at their membership, I see a lot of people I have lot of time for (notably David Paton and Malcolm Kendrick in particular) so I'm going to continue listening to what they have to say.

I agree that this is *currently* the case, but I've dealt with this and my other concerns in my massive response to yorkie above, so I won't reiterate.

----

For the umpteenth time, many of those who haven't been vaccinated have made that decision after giving the matter a considerable amount of thought. It really isn't a case of "can't be bothered".

Exactly so. With the current coercion and mooted restrictions, not taking the vaccine is by no means 'the easy option'. You face losing friends, and in some cases family. You face no longer being able to travel abroad. You may soon not be able to go to a nightclub, or a cinema, or a pub, or a restaurant. You may be facing losing your job. That's not remotely a set of trivial things.

Given that everyone I know who hasn't taken the vaccine has done so after conscious thought, I'm not sure a free pizza will make that much difference.

I personally know three people who have no intention of taking the vaccine any time soon (well, two plus myself) and I know that we have all given the matter a good deal of consideration.

----

A bizarre combination of the desperate (weren't they on a drive to make us eat more healthily last week? Do pizza and McDonalds feel like joined-up-thinking on that one?) and the sinister.

Once again though, we see a scheme - for now, for once using carrot rather than stick - that is normalising the idea of showing off our health credentials to all and sundry. Will the vaccine passports be used to obtain these discounts?

----

Anyone who wants to get vaccinated in this country can do so with little difficulty. I was even stopped outside the NEC this afternoon by an NHS nurse asking me if I wanted to get a Pfizer vaccination (having already had two, I declined).

Indeed - I've passed at least 3 walk-in centres in the last two weeks. Most bizarrely, there were people in the Wood Green shopping centre on Saturday shouting out at people passing to get their vaccine there and then, as if they were trying to get you to switch electricity provider or buy some apples or something. Doesn't seem much like 'informed consent' to me. Do these centres even have sufficient access to your medical records to determine if there is some medical reason why you shouldn't be vaccinated?

----

I feel that's a Political, rather than immunological decision.

But there are two big problems with that, if true.

Firstly people should only receive boosters if there is a proven medical need. If there is not, then administering a booster program is unethical, because any medical treatment has an element of risk.

Secondly, why are the Goverment still pointlessly throwing money around like there's no tomorrow, as opposed to actually trying to get us back to 'normal'?

----

I don’t know the official medical answer. But one reason may be to ensure that people who think they have had a COVID19 Corona virus infection, but who actually did not have it, still get vaccinated so that they do get (increased) protection.

I suppose this is a reason (we considered others above in this very long post), but except in those vulnerable to the disease, this seems like overkill.

Another reason may be, to ensure that the bodies immune system is ‘reminded’ to continue to produce antibodies. I don’t know what the current research has found, but there was previously a suspicion that within three to six months, the natural protection by the immune system may wane.

From antibodies, yes. That's fairly standard behaviour as far as I know. But the body then remembers how to make them again when necessary - or at least it does when naturally infected, and/or after most vaccines. If that wasn't the case you'd continually need 'booster' vaccines for everything you've ever been vaccinated against, or indeed been infected with.

Maybe because governments are concerned that until nearly everyone has some protection from the COVID19 Corona virus, there could be another wave of infections which if really bad would result in another lockdown being needed…

In case you have not noticed, governments generally don’t like lots more money going out than is coming in…

It may have been true in the past, but I can't say I've noticed that over the last 18 months at all! Something has changed quite dramatically, well out of proportion to the severity of the pandemic. And even when we could move on, they keep on ploughing endless sums of money into boosters, track and trace and all the rest. It is all rather odd.

I don’t think anyone really knows yet. Hence it’s better to be ready with boosters rather than be caught out…

But it seems we're going ahead with the boosters without waiting to find out.

Again, it’s likely to be far too soon for anyone to really know. We do know with some viruses, that the more that the bodies immune system is required to fight off an infection, the more likely it is to be ready to fight should you be exposed again.

Is it wise though to keep on 'priming' the body to fight the same thing over and over? Will that have an effect on how it fights other things?

Do you actually know of any vaccinations where there have been found to be any significant long term effects? The whole point of a vaccine is to trigger the immune system to attack it. So as I understand it, once your immune system has ramped up enough to ‘defeat’ it, the body will break it down and it will be removed just like any other debris in your blood.

In the last 25 years, RotaShield and Pandemrix are two cases of vaccines that had to be withdrawn after fairly widespread distribution due to serious side-effects.

The real concern would be if your bodies immune system overreacted and then started attacking your own body. Have you heard about any such reports?

No, but the immune system can do the 'wrong thing' and actually make the problem worse, eg. by producing the wrong sort of antibodies ('non-neutralising antibodies'). This is why, for example, creating a vaccine for Dengue fever is very difficult. If you have an existing dengue fever vaccine, and then encounter the actual virus, you can end up far more severely ill than if you hadn't had the vaccine, due to ADE. That's why there isn't a widespread rollout of dengue fever vaccine at this time.

Similar issues were found during animal testing in all previous attempts to make coronavirus vaccines. Perhaps they've solved that problem with these new vaccines. But I'm waiting to find out before I take one.

No. Just like some people who have been infected with COVID19 Corona virus may still be able to be reinfected. But if your immune system has already been primed, it should be more ready, and hence if you do ‘catch it’, it should be a lot milder. And your body should be able to fight it off quicker.

Agreed - but once the antibodies go away, is your body able to react to the next infection in the 'correct' way, in the same way that someone with natural immunity would?

I don’t think there is enough data to have a definite answer. But you can only transmit any significant amount of the virus if it can replicate inside your cells. If your immune system is attacking the virus because it was ready for it, the virus will have a hard time replicating quicker than the immune system is killing it.

Yes - but is it killing it in the right places in the body to affect transmission? That's what the quote from HART I mentioned above (sparking a debate about how seriously we should take HART...) was arguing.

There's an awful lot we don't know at this point. We're just doing stuff anyway, and hoping it is the right thing.

----

Hmm, I was trying to avoid making possibly the longest post ever on this forum, but no-one has posted in the thread since my last long post so this is now two very long posts in one :-/ Sorry for the 'wall of text'.

Last edited:

sjpowermac

Established Member
Hmm, I was trying to avoid making possibly the longest post ever on this forum, but no-one has posted in the thread since my last long post so this is now two very long posts in one :-/ Sorry for the 'wall of text'.
I don’t think there’s any need at all to apologise, I for one found your post very interesting and helpful.

I’ve had both jabs, but put very little thought into it!

I’m absolutely supportive of anyone who thinks things through and decides against taking the vaccine and I’m completely against Vaccine Passports.

The one thing that did give me pause for thought before taking the vaccine was the unknown long term effects.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Not that there is much alternative in some places; a vote for Labour is a vote for an even more authoritarian party that wanted even harsher and longer lockdowns and restrictions and are utterly opposed to us enjoying the freedoms we currently have.

See my previous posts about endemic equilibrium.

I think that we are at a very high level of population immunity but it's not yet enough to avoid a lot more people getting the virus over the coming months.

However it doesn't really matter as the vast majority of people have immunity now and the vast majority of vulnerable people have very good immunity in the form of two doses of the vaccine.

I don't think vaccine passports will have much of a useful lifespan if young people continue to get vaccinated and if population immunity continues to increase. The amount of hassle and resentment they will cause for such little benefit makes it not worthwhile in my opinion.

We need more people to get vaccinated but the current messaging is terrible and the threat of mandatory vaccine passports for domestic use isn't a sensible way to achieve that.

True but this is only being achieved by people actually getting vaccinated.

The problem is we need to increase the level of vaccination further otherwise we re going to continue to have a lot more infections than would otherwise be the case, and a lot of infections in unvaccinated people dies create pressure for the NHS, even though only a tiny percentage need hospital treatment.

By refusing to get vaccinated, people are putting more power in the hands of the authoritarians who want us to be under restrictions, show vaccine passports everywhere we go, wear masks etc.

Every additional vaccination helps us to reject the demands of the authoritarians.

I hope I have convinced you to get vaccinated (if you have not already) but at the end of the day it is your choice and I don't agree with militant tactics to achieve this.
So, the way to show the authoritarians that their plans are unacceptable is to give in completely to their demands, comply, and get vaccinated ???

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
So, the way to show the authoritarians that their plans are unacceptable is to give in completely to their demands, comply, and get vaccinated ???
Getting vaccinated is not authoritarian. It's the vaccine passports that are the problem.

So while I'll gladly get vaccinated, I would boycott any setting which demanded vaccine passports even though I'd meet their requirements.

I think the point being made was that anti vaccination attitudes are being used by those in favour of restrictions as a way to justify continuing restrictions. While they'll probably try to make this case no matter what, the more people who are vaccinated the weaker their arguments become.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
I don’t think there’s any need at all to apologise, I for one found your post very interesting and helpful.

I’ve had both jabs, but put very little thought into it!

I’m absolutely supportive of anyone who thinks things through and decides against taking the vaccine and I’m completely against Vaccine Passports.

The one thing that did give me pause for thought before taking the vaccine was the unknown long term effects.

Although I have decided to take the jab I’m still waiting and listening to advice, my cousin who worked in the NHS had his first one and had a horrible adverse effect, he was in hospital for a week and he won’t go for his second one, I’ve known others who are completely fine but even they aren’t sure of the long term effects.

I won’t rush in to anything or be pressured, I’ll make my own decisions.

jumble

I am not convinced that Vaccine passports in this country will actually come to pass as I think the technological challenges are too great
Again how does a foreign tourist prove anything to a security guard?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There are also 10 million people in the UK without a smartphone so presumably any such plot would need to cater for them with a paper/card based version. Which would raise a lot of administrative/security challenges, and would need to ensure no counterfeiting were possible.

I’d like to think that by the time something was ready to roll out, their need would have disappeared, and I suspect that all the Gov rumblings about vaccine passports are just noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.