• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vaccine Progress, Approval, and Deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon11

Established Member
327,000 vaccinations given out yesterday, lower than compared to Tuesday last week however much better improvement compared to the Sunday/ Monday (which are traditionally lower anyway).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
442 deaths announced today in what now makes the last 7 days a decline of 31%. Given they've generally been averaging a decline of 25-27%, and their rate of decline is markedly faster than other metrics, it looks like the vaccine effects are really getting going for the 1-4 groups most at risk from death with covid, and a positive sign that once most 5-9 are complete hospital admission rate decline will accelerate further (as proven in the Public Health Scotland study).

Crossover

Established Member
26317 second doses.
Oh gosh - thanks for pointing that out :)
I've got so used to focussing on the 1st doses, I had nigh on forgotten about the 2nd dose tab!

442 deaths announced today in what now makes the last 7 days a decline of 31%. Given they've generally been averaging a decline of 25-27%, and their rate of decline is markedly faster than other metrics, it looks like the vaccine effects are really getting going for the 1-4 groups most at risk from death with covid, and a positive sign that once most 5-9 are complete hospital admission rate decline will accelerate further (as proven in the Public Health Scotland study).
I would agree, it is very positive news indeed. Hospitalisations have been declining too, though the data there is very laggy (a couple of days last week, the number of beds occupied declined by nearly 1k per reporting day)

HSTEd

Veteran Member
So far deaths appear to be defying exponential decay for quasi linear decay.

Which is very nice, we will end up with an extremely pronounced "knee" when they eventually level off - hopefully not for another week at least though.

hwl

Established Member
Worth noting this is the highest ever 2nd doses too which appears to now be ramping up significantly.
Wales and NI have started second doses in earnest to even things out a bit, but not England or Scotland yet

Domh245

Established Member
Wales and NI have started second doses in earnest to even things out a bit, but not England or Scotland yet

Think you might have got NI and scotland back to front? Looking at the gov dashboard, NI's daily second doses is resolutely flat at around 200 a day, but Scotland's have picked up from around the 15th hitting 6918 yesterday. Even England's daily second dose line is beginning to trend upwards as well

cuccir

Established Member
Those aged 64 can now book their vaccine appointments on the NHS website without first waiting for contact from your surgery - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coron...rus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/. Not sure when this was added, presumably earlier today as last time I checked it was only for those 65 and above.

I’m interested they have moved into plucking people from group 7 now, as I know of a few people in group 6 that have not received invitations yet, although one of them is age 64 so now eligible via the NHS. Could this be because Group 6 is managed by surgeries directly, or perhaps too much data to put into the central NHS system?
My parents and in-laws are in their early 60s and they and their friends are all finding high levels of variability with this process, based on geography it seems. My dad 61, who lives in South Lakeland, has been able to book his appointment through this website, but his friends the same age (early 60s) who live in Barrow-in-Furness, are not able to do so. My father-in-law, South Derbyshire, 62 has been able to get in using it too. It won't let my mum, 59, book a slot BUT her friend also 59 who lives in York has been able to find an appointment at a vaccination center in Leeds.

I'm aware the site says 64 or over but certainly the system seems to be letting much younger people than that book - perhaps it's the case that as areas are moving through groups they start allowing them to book slots if available, but that they are being more cautious on who they are actively advertising should use it?

If you're 55 or over I'd say stick your details into the site, you never know you might get an appointment!

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My parents and in-laws are in their early 60s and they and their friends are all finding high levels of variability with this process, based on geography it seems. My dad 61, who lives in South Lakeland, has been able to book his appointment through this website, but his friends the same age (early 60s) who live in Barrow-in-Furness, are not able to do so. My father-in-law, South Derbyshire, 62 has been able to get in using it too. It won't let my mum, 59, book a slot BUT her friend also 59 who lives in York has been able to find an appointment at a vaccination center in Leeds.

I'm aware the site says 64 or over but certainly the system seems to be letting much younger people than that book - perhaps it's the case that as areas are moving through groups they start allowing them to book slots if available, but that they are being more cautious on who they are actively advertising should use it?

If you're 55 or over I'd say stick your details into the site, you never know you might get an appointment!
I agree with that. I *think* it should be updated as GPs send out invites. IIRC before the service was opened up to all it mentioned something about only being available for those with the letter, but now it’s available to those who fit into the categories listed.

I have a family member in their 50s that got a SMS from the surgery last week inviting them to book.

I’m in group 6, but was vaccinated through my surgery rather than the central NHS service, and it gives me a different error message when I try and book to what someone else I know that is not yet eligible at all, so it must know who the GPs have offered it to, and who has taken it.

Envy123

Is it likely obese people are going to be a priority for vaccines too? I heard some horror stories of young obese people dying with Covid.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is it likely obese people are going to be a priority for vaccines too? I heard some horror stories of young obese people dying with Covid.
Anyone with a BMI of 40 or over (this is what the NHS calls “severely obese,” I believe what used to be known as “morbidly obese”) should be in group 6.

takno

Established Member
Thank you. My BMI is about 33, so I am not in that group, it seems.
I don't think the relationship is incredibly strong anyway once co-morbidities have have been taken into account, particularly diabetes. Haven't seen any figures recently, but I think it was mostly covered off by obesity being linked to diabetes and heart disease, and those conditions being risk factors

Simon11

Established Member
Vaccinations back up to a decent level with 449k yesterday (Wednesday) for the first dose and another 31k getting second dose

joncombe

Boris Johnson attributed his bad time with Covid to obesity.
And then reacted by closing gyms, banning sports and telling people they shouldn't leave their homes unless absolutely essential and closing down most shops (where people might want to buy sports/gym equipment to use at home). Good way to help tackle obesity?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
And then reacted by closing gyms, banning sports and telling people they shouldn't leave their homes unless absolutely essential and closing down most shops (where people might want to buy sports/gym equipment to use at home). Good way to help tackle obesity?
I don't buy into this. I've lost 5stone since march from a start of 19 stone without ever setting foot in a gym or leisure centre. Without buying any gym equipment and I live in a small city centre flat.

I get gyms have other benefits but you can't be obese and say its cos the gyms are shut.

On the plus side, vaccinations back up again which is great and another record day for second doses.

Envy123

I don't think the relationship is incredibly strong anyway once co-morbidities have have been taken into account, particularly diabetes. Haven't seen any figures recently, but I think it was mostly covered off by obesity being linked to diabetes and heart disease, and those conditions being risk factors

Maybe - I do not have diabetes or heart disease (was checked).

I did buy a sports bike but never got much use, as my slow speed burns 15 calories at best in half an hour. All that effort for that, when I find it easier to walk or eat less.

Boris Johnson attributed his bad time with Covid to obesity.

I thought that it was his age that was a factor?

joncombe

I get gyms have other benefits but you can't be obese and say its cos the gyms are shut.
No indeed. I exercise a lot (mostly walking) and have continued to do so, so of course it's not impossible.

But you've got to admit that this isn't going to help, surely? I mean if you already have some sort of "exercise regime" or equipment at home then you can probably continue to do so and perhaps do more of it. But if someone is already overweight or even obese you've got to admit that the lack of classes, gyms, sports and other equipment and the Government telling you shouldn't leave home unless you absolutely have to isn't going to help encourage someone to exercise more? I mean the only form of exercise available to many is walking, running or cycling which realistically needs to be done outdoors (unless you want to do laps of your living room or something), at a time of year the weather is poor, it's cold, there is much less hours of daylight and it's more likely to be raining/snowing.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Quite, everyone is different when it comes to exercise and weight loss. I got into the gym last year for the first time after several attempts over years so when it shut I was back to square one.

I have replaced it with walking but ideally I’d like to combine the two.

Losing weight and getting active can be a real struggle for people and some things just click for some people so I think it has been a big miss for some.

Congrats on your achievement, I am jealous for sure!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Sorry yes I completely appreciate everyone is different. I am also not agreeing that gyms and sports etc. Should be closed just in my opinion there isn't a direct correlation.

For what it's worth, I've found walking one of the best things, despite the walking from my flat being boring. Previous weight loss attempts have failed because of either two things, I got too intense into the excercise caused an Injury and then lost the motivation, or I've tried to give stuff up found it too hard and then given up.

This time I did neither. I did gentle exercise such as walking, there are some good muscle workout videos on YouTube I also do where you can get into them at your own pace and do them at home without Mr six pack staring at you (plus point for me!) even the arm one, I started with no weights and moved to soup cans or similar as you cannot get weights anywhere atm. I also treated it as long term, it's taken 13 months so far and with the gentle excercise I'm not suffering any problems with saggy skin or anything as it's been slow and steady.

I also didn't give up any foods or alcohol, just started to plan my week's out and plan in moderation. Instead of 80g of pasta per person we now cook 65g, we will share a piece of pork across two pasta rather than a piece chopped up in both.

It took me 6-7 attempts to get it right over last 10years so I'm certainly not trying to say its easy, or belittle anyone who feels they need the gym just trying to say gym isn't the be all and end all.

This is probably off topic now

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Sorry yes I completely appreciate everyone is different. I am also not agreeing that gyms and sports etc. Should be closed just in my opinion there isn't a direct correlation.

For what it's worth, I've found walking one of the best things, despite the walking from my flat being boring. Previous weight loss attempts have failed because of either two things, I got too intense into the excercise caused an Injury and then lost the motivation, or I've tried to give stuff up found it too hard and then given up.

This time I did neither. I did gentle exercise such as walking, there are some good muscle workout videos on YouTube I also do where you can get into them at your own pace and do them at home without Mr six pack staring at you (plus point for me!) even the arm one, I started with no weights and moved to soup cans or similar as you cannot get weights anywhere atm. I also treated it as long term, it's taken 13 months so far and with the gentle excercise I'm not suffering any problems with saggy skin or anything as it's been slow and steady.

I also didn't give up any foods or alcohol, just started to plan my week's out and plan in moderation. Instead of 80g of pasta per person we now cook 65g, we will share a piece of pork across two pasta rather than a piece chopped up in both.

It took me 6-7 attempts to get it right over last 10years so I'm certainly not trying to say its easy, or belittle anyone who feels they need the gym just trying to say gym isn't the be all and end all.

This is probably off topic now
That’s interesting thank you. I don’t want to get involved in can’t have this can’t have that as I know I won’t be able to change my entire life and don’t want to.

I actually think the walking is the best kept secret to gradual improvement.

Anyway back to the vaccines! Expecting my letter any day

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If anyone reading this is aged over 60, and has not yet been contacted regarding their vaccination, you can book on this site:

Note that at the time of writing the text says:
You can only use this service if any of the following apply:
However this is out of date!

Domh245

Established Member
And in news that should hardly come as a surprise, the next phase of vaccinations will continue to be in age order rather than any sort of profession/other basis. Predictably the usual unions are outraged..

Vaccinating people in order of age is the fastest way to cut Covid-19 deaths in the next phase of the roll-out, say experts advising the UK government.
People in their 40s will be next, once the current phase is completed.
Priority based on jobs would be "more complex" and could slow down the programme, the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation said.
All four nations of the UK will follow this approach with a target of vaccinating all adults by end of July.
More than 18 million people in the UK have received a first dose so far.
Teachers and police officers are among those who have campaigned to be prioritised in the next phase - but they will now be vaccinated in line with their age group.
The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), which has looked at the evidence on best how to reduce serious illness and death from Covid-19 in phase two of the UK's vaccination programme, says prioritising certain jobs could leave some vulnerable people waiting longer for a first dose.
It says the following groups should be prioritised, once all at-risk groups in phase one have been offered at least one dose of the vaccine (by mid-April):
  • all those aged 40-49 years
  • all those aged 30-39 years
  • all those aged 18-29 years

And it strongly advises some particular groups to take up a vaccine as soon as it is offered. They are:
  • men
  • people from black, Asian and minority ethnic communities
  • people with a BMI over 30
  • people living in poorer neighbourhoods
In phase one, nine priority groups were set out based on age and underlying health conditions - the biggest factors in raising someone's risk.
Vaccinating these groups should protect around 99% of those most at risk of dying.

All of those in the top four priority groups - around 15 million - were offered a jab by mid-February. More than 95% of the over-70s have now been vaccinated.

'Disappointed'​

Prof Wei Shen Lim, Covid-19 chair of the JCVI, said occupation was not well-recorded in GPs' records and the effort required to identify people by their jobs "may slow down the whole programme".
"Speed of deployment is the most important factor," he said, adding that a straightforward approach was better.
Mary Ramsay, from Public Health England (PHE), said even within occupation groups, age was the major factor in risk from Covid-19.
"We would want a 40-year-old policeman to come forward before a 20-year old," she said.
But Geoff Barton, general secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL), said he was disappointed that education staff would not be prioritised in the next phase.
"This is important not only in reassuring staff who it expects to work in busy and crowded environments, but also in terms of minimising disruption to education caused by staff absence as a result of Covid."
Metropolitan Police Federation chairman Ken Marsh criticised the plans to prioritise by age group, saying "it's absolutely disgusting - they don't give a damn about us".

Bantamzen

Established Member
And in news that should hardly come as a surprise, the next phase of vaccinations will continue to be in age order rather than any sort of profession/other basis. Predictably the usual unions are outraged..

Police: "They don't care about us!!"

Public: <looks at how the Police have handled themselves in the last 12 months>

"Boohoo!"

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Police: "They don't care about us!!"

Public: <looks at how the Police have handled themselves in the last 12 months>

"Boohoo!"
To be fair, it does seem a bit unfortunate that staff in certain sectors that may have the potential to be either spreaders, or also likely to become ill themselves (admittedly extremely unlikely to be seriously ill) by virtue of the large number of people they come into contact with. Especially given when we hear that significant numbers of administrative staff in the NHS have already been vaccinated using leftover doses.

Status
Not open for further replies.