• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Various consultations on the May 2022 East Coast Mainline timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish_rail

Established Member
The best way to speed up journeys from Scotland to the SW would be to run bi-modes via the WCML. (Birmingham is an hour quicker that way ) .Xc provides direct services to Leeds (which could be provided by TPE) Sheffield and Derby, although it will be about as quick to reach Derby via Crewe.
Completely agree. In an ideal world the services ex south west would head up the WCML but I guess on todays railway that really would be a step too far sadly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Completely agree. In an ideal world the services ex south west would head up the WCML but I guess on todays railway that really would be a step too far sadly.

Then passengers from Northern WCML stations lose their second London service, MK, Coventry etc lose their Scotland services, and the capacity of Pendolinos on Birmingham-Scotland goes too.

irish_rail

Established Member
Then passengers from Northern WCML stations lose their second London service, MK, Coventry etc lose their Scotland services, and the capacity of Pendolinos on Birmingham-Scotland goes too.
Well this would obviously be something done in future with new stock, so say a 9 car 802 which more than matches a pendolino for seats.
Hs2 eventually covers for loss of London trains from the North, and frankly Milton Keynes losing its Scottish trains is hardly the end of the world if you are opening up the entire South West and south Wales to the North West and Scotland......

InOban

Established Member
Anyone who has used Alnmouth (or Morpeth) station will know the great majority of fellow rail users come by car, whether to park in the car parks, drop off or by taxi. Some walk or cycle and a few by bus. They come from a wide rural area where car ownership and use is high. Some will already consider the alternatives of using Berwick going towards Edinburgh or Morpeth to go south. I suspect the numbers travelling regularly between Morpeth and Alnmouth are not great, although I'm sure a few will exist.

Given the infrequency of both buses and trains I'm sure users will carry on as now and choose the best combination available at the times they want to travel between the specific start and finish points of their journey. In rural Northumberland that probably means using the car all the way!
The same applies in all rural areas. Unless you're travelling to a major city, you will almost certainly use a car - if you have use of one. If you don't, then the bus is much more accessible than the train. The route I referred to passes through a series of interesting seaside towns which have no railway.

Class 170101

Established Member
Class 170101

You sound surprised that East Coast is quiet on Saturday afternoons and Sunday mornings. Unless there's a special event, few people want to travel then. A glance at the precovid airline timetables will show that there are hardly any angloscottish flights either at these times.

Which is why the traditional Sunday engineering possessions should start at lunchtime on Saturday and end at lunchtime on Sunday. Far less need for RRBs.

Not at all having used it myself. Merely pointing out to @TheBigD thats when th work is done and that it is the quiet time for LNER hence the absence of later evening services on Saturdays.

Having now all read the consultation documents I'm not sure I agree with all the changes.

It seems perverse that we are going to continue to run 2 x 4 or 5 car voyagers an hour north of York, when we could be making more use of the bimode TPE units.

I would suggest the following...

Cut the existing Plymouth-Edinburgh service back to York.
Speed up the Reading-Newcastle and extend through to Edinburgh.
(The pre Covid xx28 path from Birmingham overtook the preceding xx03 path and reached York/Newcastle earlier. Southbound it was already around 30 minutes quicker)
Use the 5/6 voyagers saved to strengthen XC services.
(or possibly make Leeds-Birmingham every 30 minutes?)
Extend the Liverpool-Newcastle services through to Edinburgh/Glasgow to maintain current links provided by XC.
Use the remaining TPE bimodes on the Newcastle-Machester Airport service.
Sort out the Reston/Berwick/Alnmouth/Morpeth stops between TPE and XC to provide a regular pattern for each.
Could you find a path for a faster Northern service from Middlesborough to Newcastle via the Stillington line?

Plymouth to Edinburgh would get more passengers than Reading to Newcastle so I would leave those as is I'm afraid.

As for Middlesbrough to Newcastle via Stillington maybe with a bi-mode but not a DMU I doubt, would need to be something like a Class 350 on the ECML I would say.

YorksLad12

Established Member
The other question for me is, if this was a truly network-view, why you need LNER and First East Coast to be doing the same thing I.e. the fast Edinburghs, surely looking to share fast paths would be the best use of capacity and therefore free up LNER to reinstate at least some connectivity in the hours FEC runs?

They don’t. But first east coast is allegedly offering something new that will bring passengers to the network that wouldn’t have previously used rail. If they stop more they are accused of ORCATs raiding which is why GC don’t stop on the mainland.
This is the point really. May 2022 is still the Current Regime of franchises and open access. Hence separate consultations by LNER, TPE, XC, Northern, GN... And it doesn't really take into account the Manchester end of TPE where there also need to be changes made. If this was for May 2025 we'd be in the GBR era, there would be one consultation and everything should be a bit more joined up(I might be being optimistic here!). We might even no longer have open access operators. We just don't know for certain yet.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Makes more sense (to me) to have the ABD/INV services stopping at more stations down the route. Gives people more options for direct journeys to the north of Scotland.

My personal preference would be to have the ECML services (north of Peterborough) as follows:

• Most stops: Lincoln/ York services
  • Middle stops: Hull/ Newcastle/ West Yorkshire services
  • Fewest stops: Scottish services (and probably most of the stops between Newcastle and Edinburgh allocated to the services that terminate at Edinburgh, whereas the Aberdeen/ Inverness services have the fewest)

(i.e. the longer distance services have the fewer stops at the southern end of the route)

this would be similar to other parts of the network (e.g. on the WCML you have the LNW services that have more stops than the Avanti New Street services which have more stops than the Liverpool/ Manchester/ Holyhead services which have more stops than the Glasgow services)

Putting additional stops into the Aberdeen/ Inverness services (at the same time removing some stops from shorter distance services) seems the wrong way round IMHO - or should we be adding Watford/ Milton Keynes/ Rugby/ Stafford services into the WCML Glasgow trains that currently run non-stop south of Warrington?

Personally I don't see why XC continues to operate North of Edinburgh especially since the sets spend the night in Edinburgh and have to travel north essentially ecs in the morning and south in the evening. The time was when scotrail didn't have enough trains to maintain an hourly service without these XC services but that will no longer be the case. The Voyagers would be much better utilised in the central core of the XC network.

It's such a waste of resources...

05:17: Leaves Craigentinny (ECS)
06:32 Arrives (ECS) into Dundee
06:42 Starts in service from Dundee
07:55 Arrives into Aberdeen
08:20 Departs Aberdeen
10:54 Arrives into Edinburgh
11:06 Departs Edinburgh (to Plymouth)

18:08 Evening service arrives into Edinburgh (ex Plymouth)
18:13 Departs Edinburgh for Aberdeen
20:44 Arrives into Aberdeen
21:35 Departs Aberdeen
00:13 Arrives into Edinburgh
00:21 Departs Edinburgh (ECS)
00:29 Arrives into Craigentinny

...so that's about twelve hours a day just to provide one daily journey between Aberdeen and England - seems a lot of staff time/fuel etc

I totally agree with earlier poster about Reston. Always a political station. I saw a pic of a visit by the local MSP to the works site today. She obviously hadn't seen the proposed timetable! With the suggested services it won't need any car park.... Mind you, the XC consultation does suggest the possibility that a TOC could be funded to provide a regular semifast service between Edinburgh and Berwick-upon-Tweed (which is nearer Edinburgh than Newcastle )

It feels like something that the local MSP has argued for (since any elected representatives will demand more money is thrown on their neck of the woods) with no understanding of how underwhelming the service pattern would be, or maybe in the expectation that all London trains would somehow stop there - we're going to have to disrupt a few other services or find room in the timetable for some additional paths just to justify it... maybe it won't matter too much to the MSP since she can still claim what a stunning victory it is (and the vast majority of her constituents will take this at face value, since the vast majority of people don't use trains, and people won't want to hear that their swanky new local station is going to be a drain on the rest of the network)

Shame XC still can’t get a decent path to speed up their services. A long wait at Derby on the Newcastle- Reading makes to think why did they bother to improve the speed limit on Birmingham- Derby

It's the huge problem with XC - any incremental gain just leaves you catching up with the same path at the next station - which means an unattractive wait (albeit it improves overall reliability)

Does anyone have any rational reason for having XC run 2 tph between York & Newcastle with 4-car diesels with circa 200 seats, while TPE runs just 1 tph between York & Newcastle with a 5-car train with circa 340 seats on electric power?

Surely that should be the other way around? It’s like we want to spew more carbon in to the air.

I’d be amazed if the Birmingham market was bigger than the Manchester market from Newcastle.

Agreed - as per https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...eeds-be-scrapped-to-increase-capacity.217836/ (where a number of people did seem to want to keep two XC trains per hour between York and Newcastle)

That's really going to help cut down on flights between the South west and Scotland.....
How about speed up the Plymouth to Edinburgh to give the south west a better service to Scotland, got to think of the environment and all that.....

I'm perfectly relaxed about some people flying from Plymouth to Edinburgh - rail is never going to compete on journey times between Plymouth and Edinburgh - it can't be competitive in every market

(whereas the seat occupied by one person travelling over five hundred miles could be used by half a dozen people doing shorter journeys over the kind of durations that heavy rail can be competitive)

ryan125hst

Established Member
I've just picked up on LNER's consulation after seeing a Tweet from David Horne. I've had a very quick look at the proposed Monday to Friday timetable and I'm disappointed from a Retford point of view.

Looking at the service during the day (Off Peak) it's still one train between London and York every two hours, just retimed to be about 30 minutes later than the current times.

Unfortunately, the service has actually ended up being worse than it is now as they have removed the Newark North Gate and Grantham calls. This means that anyone wishing to travel to Newark from Retford, considering they are both in Nottinghamshire and 20 miles apart, and the journey takes around 14 minutes by train, would have to instead travel north to Doncaster, and then change and head south. The total journey would therefore take an hour or more. It takes 26 minutes to drive between the two stations, and a bus journey between the towns takes around 50 minutes.

I understand the pathing issues on this stretch of line but it doesn't seem right to cut the service between the two towns in this way. I have a car, but not everyone can drive and I thought we are supposed to be using public transport more for environmental reasons.

Also, with Northern improving the service to Sheffield, it would have been great to see an improvement to the ECML service as well.

evergreenadam

I don't think there's ever been a replacement for this service at Doncaster for Sheffield-bound passengers either. I was once caught out by this a couple of years ago of a Friday afternoon. I was going for the stopping service which would have followed it had it run that way, and was actually left behind at Doncaster because it was being worked by a two car 144 which was very very full. Oops!
Sounds like the extra capacity via Doncaster is needed then. I don’t understand why the Leeds path has disappeared especially if they are going to replace it with an hourly Northern Leeds to Sheffield service.

InOban

Established Member
My personal preference would be to have the ECML services (north of Peterborough) as follows:

• Most stops: Lincoln/ York services
  • Middle stops: Hull/ Newcastle/ West Yorkshire services
  • Fewest stops: Scottish services (and probably most of the stops between Newcastle and Edinburgh allocated to the services that terminate at Edinburgh, whereas the Aberdeen/ Inverness services have the fewest)

(i.e. the longer distance services have the fewer stops at the southern end of the route)

this would be similar to other parts of the network (e.g. on the WCML you have the LNW services that have more stops than the Avanti New Street services which have more stops than the Liverpool/ Manchester/ Holyhead services which have more stops than the Glasgow services)

Putting additional stops into the Aberdeen/ Inverness services (at the same time removing some stops from shorter distance services) seems the wrong way round IMHO - or should we be adding Watford/ Milton Keynes/ Rugby/ Stafford services into the WCML Glasgow trains that currently run non-stop south of Warrington?

...so that's about twelve hours a day just to provide one daily journey between Aberdeen and England - seems a lot of staff time/fuel etc

It feels like something that the local MSP has argued for (since any elected representatives will demand more money is thrown on their neck of the woods) with no understanding of how underwhelming the service pattern would be, or maybe in the expectation that all London trains would somehow stop there - we're going to have to disrupt a few other services or find room in the timetable for some additional paths just to justify it... maybe it won't matter too much to the MSP since she can still claim what a stunning victory it is (and the vast majority of her constituents will take this at face value, since the vast majority of people don't use trains, and people won't want to hear that their swanky new local station is going to be a drain on the rest of the network)

It's the huge problem with XC - any incremental gain just leaves you catching up with the same path at the next station - which means an unattractive wait (albeit it improves overall reliability)

Agreed - as per https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...eeds-be-scrapped-to-increase-capacity.217836/ (where a number of people did seem to want to keep two XC trains per hour between York and Newcastle)

I'm perfectly relaxed about some people flying from Plymouth to Edinburgh - rail is never going to compete on journey times between Plymouth and Edinburgh - it can't be competitive in every market

(whereas the seat occupied by one person travelling over five hundred miles could be used by half a dozen people doing shorter journeys over the kind of durations that heavy rail can be competitive)
A bit difficult to fly from Plymouth since its airport closed a few years ago! You have to get to Exeter to fly.
The real market is Bristol which in normal times sustains easyJet several times a day to Scotland. In contrast Birmingham used to have frequent Flybe flights but will in future have only morning and evening EasyJet. The train may be slower but is much more frequent.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

The question is what else could be done with the respective units before 1106 and after 1808.

Options would be:
-Just go straight from/to Craigentinny. Arguably a bit of a waste of an expensive trainset just sitting around until so late in the morning
-Provide an extra morning arrival at Edinburgh from the south / evening departure to the south (even if only from Newcastle)
-Aberdeen as at present, which traditionally provides a tactically timed bit of extra capacity into Edinburgh from Aberdeen/Dundee at that time of day (which is more the purpose of the extension than England connectivity)

Killingworth

Established Member
There are no right answers, just compromises that will leave some communities better served than others.The ECML interacts with other congested routes and inherits all their problems, the Castlefield issue in Manchester being but one. We all want our local needs served best.

Crosscountry provide the one fast train an hour between Sheffield and Leeds taking about 40 minutes. It can have anything from 4 to 9 coaches. Northern's half hourly semi fast takes about 20 minutes longer and is 2 coaches. The 4th hourly service is also 2 coaches and complicates matters by sharing platform 17 at Leeds with the semi-fasts and takes even longer. Apparently that restricts ability to run longer trains.

The result is that XC long distance trains have a high turnover of short distance users at both Sheffield and Leeds with strong commuter demand at Wakefield. (There's another strong flow between Leeds and York.)

Perish the thought, but if there was platform capacity at Sheffield and Leeds a fast 2tph shuttle service might run between them in 40 minutes connecting with other routes at each end. XC could then concentrate on it's core across the country with the 20 minute quicker route between Sheffield and York rather than via Leeds. Quicker via Doncaster, but potentially even quicker by cutting out that choke point too! TPE cover Sheffield - Doncaster quite well and Leeds - York.

What this consultation throws out is that lack of platforms and nearby holdiing sidings restrict options as much as paths between stations. A nightmare to resolve. We can't all be happy.

Roll on further reviews for 2023 and beyond by which time post Covid demand can be better judged.

RH Liner

I've just picked up on LNER's consulation after seeing a Tweet from David Horne. I've had a very quick look at the proposed Monday to Friday timetable and I'm disappointed from a Retford point of view.

Looking at the service during the day (Off Peak) it's still one train between London and York every two hours, just retimed to be about 30 minutes later than the current times.

Unfortunately, the service has actually ended up being worse than it is now as they have removed the Newark North Gate and Grantham calls. This means that anyone wishing to travel to Newark from Retford, considering they are both in Nottinghamshire and 20 miles apart, and the journey takes around 14 minutes by train, would have to instead travel north to Doncaster, and then change and head south. The total journey would therefore take an hour or more. It takes 26 minutes to drive between the two stations, and a bus journey between the towns takes around 50 minutes.

I understand the pathing issues on this stretch of line but it doesn't seem right to cut the service between the two towns in this way. I have a car, but not everyone can drive and I thought we are supposed to be using public transport more for environmental reasons.

Also, with Northern improving the service to Sheffield, it would have been great to see an improvement to the ECML service as well.
Three possible solutions.
1) add a Newark call into Hull Trains services which would immediately restore a reasonable service between Retford, Newark and Grantham.
2) Run a Newark-Sheffield service possibly EMR or Northern calling only at Retford and Worksop. This could be two-hourly to connect with Lincoln services, and could possibly work in tandem with Northern’s Sheffield-Gainsborough Central service.
3) if no suitable path for 2 above, run a RRB express coach from Newark to Retford - this could also serve the two town centres, since both stations are a bit of a route march. Could it also extend to Doncaster, serving the sizeable communities of Bawtry and Rossington?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

The problem is though that functionally no-one is doing these journeys. LNER provided a bar chart in their consultation (reproduced below from page 30) which suggests that there are only 13 LNER return journeys per day between Newark and Retford. Compare this to the 1,000s for Newark - London and the hundreds for Retford - London. Obviously there can be an element of "if you build it they will come" and improving the connectivity between Newark and Retford would no doubt stimulate demand. But the choice has to be made. Do you serve (and probably stimulate more demand from) the existing London based market or do you speculative try and increase the market between two small(ish) market towns in Nottinghamshire? I think the answer is, sadly, quite obvious which is the best use of finite resources.

The reality is that connections like this will always end up playing second fiddle. Well, at least until HS2 Phase 2b arrives (if it does...).

bar chart.png
Bar chart showing LNER journeys (both directions added together) per weekday station pairs including Retford, Newark, Grantham and Stevenage. Shows that majority of journeys from all four are to/from London whilst journeys between the four are at a considerably lower level. Often probably a couple of people per train if that.

Failed Unit

Established Member
The local journeys have always caused issues for as long as I can remember.

BR used to have London - Leeds stopping Peterborough, Grantham, Newark, Retford (alternate hours) and Doncaster.

GNER mixed things up a little, probably to spread the load. Retford would appear in a service such as the 0650 Glasgow - London, were the service would not stop after Retford until Peterborough. It was very difficult to travel between adjacent station pairs until the timetable we have now was introduced.

However,
Car Parking (off-peak) at Newark is £5
Day return - £13

For a service that is essentially every 2 hours. If you have car you will drive.

If you don't have a car you will probably go to Lincoln / Nottingham (if you live in Newark) or Lincoln / Sheffield (if you live in Retford)

It is a chicken and egg, the service isn't going to entice anyone to use it. Newark - Grantham may do better because it is more frequent, but the A1 isn't really that congested in the area.

Interesting to see Newark - Lincoln on the charts. I wonder if that is combined EMR or LNER only passenger counts. A reasonable number of people join / alight at Newark on the LNERs but I think Newark Castle still gets the majority of traffic. those joining at Northgate it is impossible to tell if they started their journey there or have used it to change from the North.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The problem is though that functionally no-one is doing these journeys. LNER provided a bar chart in their consultation (reproduced below from page 30) which suggests that there are only 13 LNER return journeys per day between Newark and Retford. Compare this to the 1,000s for Newark - London and the hundreds for Retford - London. Obviously there can be an element of "if you build it they will come" and improving the connectivity between Newark and Retford would no doubt stimulate demand. But the choice has to be made. Do you serve (and probably stimulate more demand from) the existing London based market or do you speculative try and increase the market between two small(ish) market towns in Nottinghamshire? I think the answer is, sadly, quite obvious which is the best use of finite resources.

The reality is that connections like this will always end up playing second fiddle. Well, at least until HS2 Phase 2b arrives (if it does...).

View attachment 98149
Bar chart showing LNER journeys (both directions added together) per weekday station pairs including Retford, Newark, Grantham and Stevenage. Shows that majority of journeys from all four are to/from London whilst journeys between the four are at a considerably lower level. Often probably a couple of people per train if that.

This is precisely the point; the "local" journeys have basically had a regular hourly/two-hourly connections for a decade (May 2011), via the King's Cross-Newark/Lincoln/York service. And demand is still minuscule.

How much longer must the "tail wag the dog" for by designing in for these tiny flows in the timetable, when (in passenger demand terms), far greater prizes lie elsewhere? Can't say that East Coast/VTEC/LNER haven't tried....

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This is the point really. May 2022 is still the Current Regime of franchises and open access. Hence separate consultations by LNER, TPE, XC, Northern, GN... And it doesn't really take into account the Manchester end of TPE where there also need to be changes made. If this was for May 2025 we'd be in the GBR era, there would be one consultation and everything should be a bit more joined up(I might be being optimistic here!). We might even no longer have open access operators. We just don't know for certain yet.
They aren’t really separate though are they? Coordinated publication all on the same day, and they all include the same core explanation text. There must have been a guiding authority pulling the strings.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
They aren’t really separate though are they? Coordinated publication all on the same day, and they all include the same core explanation text. There must have been a guiding authority pulling the strings.

If anything, separate consultations makes it easier for Joe Public to pick out which parts are relevant to themselves.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If anything, separate consultations makes it easier for Joe Public to pick out which parts are relevant to themselves.
Yes, however I think what some of them have done is to still include completely irrelevant National background, eg mentioning the EMR Liverpool - Norwich split in the GN version.

Pacerman99

Has anyone tried making some diagrams for the proposed LNER timetable? I'm completely bamboozled! Must be a lot of interworking. Surely the Leeds services don't have a 19 minute turnaround at Kings Cross; yet any more (49 minutes) and they will take up excessive platform space and leave just one platform for open access services, which doesn't seem like enough?

Emaharg

On the contrary the linking of the Aberdeen / Inverness services into the stoppers makes perfect sense. Anyone with a time sensitive end to end journey (indeed anyone travelling the full distance ) is almost certainly going to fly (probably cheaper as well). These trains serve the people going to and from Aberdeen for their two weeks on the oil rigs, and their homes are distributed along the route, certainly not in London

Personally I don't see why XC continues to operate North of Edinburgh especially since the sets spend the night in Edinburgh and have to travel north essentially ecs in the morning and south in the evening. The time was when scotrail didn't have enough trains to maintain an hourly service without these XC services but that will no longer be the case. The Voyagers would be much better utilised in the central core of the XC network.

I totally agree with earlier poster about Reston. Always a political station. I saw a pic of a visit by the local MSP to the works site today. She obviously hadn't seen the proposed timetable! With the suggested services it won't need any car park.... Mind you, the XC consultation does suggest the possibility that a TOC could be funded to provide a regular semifast service between Edinburgh and Berwick-upon-Tweed (which is nearer Edinburgh than Newcastle )
One good reason is Scotrail haven't offered a first class seat for about a year on their HSTs .The whole first class carriage is turned over to staff. So on going to Aberdeen I have used LNER and XC.

YorksLad12

Established Member

Yes, however I think what some of them have done is to still include completely irrelevant National background, eg mentioning the EMR Liverpool - Norwich split in the GN version.
Points taken, but will all the responses end up in the same place or will each TOC be able to say "our customers want us to have more services between York and Edinburgh"? With a single consultation you could weight the responses a bit.

Noticeable as well that LNER and XC have glossy booklets and indicative (and difficult to read) timetables whereas TPE has a pdf of a Word document :D

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Points taken, but will all the responses end up in the same place or will each TOC be able to say "our customers want us to have more services between York and Edinburgh"? With a single consultation you could weight the responses a bit.

Noticeable as well that LNER and XC have glossy booklets and indicative (and difficult to read) timetables whereas TPE has a pdf of a Word document :D
I think it’s the sort of consultation that doesn’t change much, it’s too late to do anything significant surely?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think it’s the sort of consultation that doesn’t change much, it’s too late to do anything significant surely?

They all say so explicitly I believe (using exactly the same wording so I assume this was an agreed line) for instance from the GN consultation:

The timetable is based on a series of decisions about investment in infrastructure and our train fleets, as well as access decisions made by the ORR. This means that the structure of the timetable for May 2022 is fixed.

It may be possible to make some local adjustments based on the feedback received, with any wider comments about the balance of services considered for future timetable iterations. We are aiming for all train operators to have their plans in place by early Autumn to deliver the new timetable from May next year.

And then the TPE consultation:

The timetable is based on a series of decisions about investment in infrastructure and our train fleets, as well as access decisions made by the ORR. This means that the structure of the timetable for May 2022 is fixed.

It may be possible to make some local adjustments based on the feedback received, with any wider comments about the balance of services considered for future timetable iterations. We are aiming for all train operators to have their plans in place by early Autumn to deliver the new timetable from May next year.

The others all appear to more or less use the same wording. I'm certainly not bothering replying as it's clear that the overarching decisions have been made and the only scope is probably for some small tweaks. For instance should it be this XC or that XC that calls at Reston rather than more major things like whether LNER should call some Edinburgh services at Northallerton again.

D6130

Established Member
I wonder whether the potential ramifications of HM Treasury's forthcoming move from London to Darlington have been taken into account by the timetable planners? If the Department of Health's (or was it Social Security's?) move from London to Leeds more than 30 years ago was anything to go by, it should have a profound effect on both regional commuting patterns and long distance travel volumes - not to mention house prices in the area. There could well be a significant increase in Darlington-London-Darlington travel, as many of the new arrivals will still have family and friends living in London and the South-East.

mikeg

Established Member
Wow swingeing cutbacks to my home station (Northallerton). I knew it was overprovisioned, but now is going to drastically underprovisioned? Especially given the popularity of TPE services for travelling to Darlington and Newcastle and the poor provision of other tranpsort in the area this seems like a perverse decision. Relying on LNER is not the answer unless compulsory reservations are scrapped. In fact they seem to be intent on killing the commuting market from Northallerton. This always seems popular and there are always a good number of passengers waiting for NCL services in the morning as well as YRK ones. It seems TPE want to scrap a key part of their business in these parts in return for vanity projects like serving Saltburn, which will mean a lot of fresh air being carried from MBR-SLB.

Established Member
This is precisely the point; the "local" journeys have basically had a regular hourly/two-hourly connections for a decade (May 2011), via the King's Cross-Newark/Lincoln/York service. And demand is still minuscule.

How much longer must the "tail wag the dog" for by designing in for these tiny flows in the timetable, when (in passenger demand terms), far greater prizes lie elsewhere? Can't say that East Coast/VTEC/LNER haven't tried....
Even the flow between Newark and Grantham is only served every two hours and that is the largest of the flows between the stations between Peterborough and Doncaster according to the charts showing the demand (interestingly it seems the flow between Newark and Grantham is marginally bigger than the flows from either station to Peterborough or Doncaster where hourly trains are retained!)

I don't think providing, say, an hourly stopping path is too much to ask? Aside from the obvious benefit of allowing faster journey times to the likes of Leeds/Newcastle and Edinburgh by not having Inverness trains calling at Newark.

Clearly all moot points as the timetable is obviously already at an advanced stage of development, this is merely another justification for decisions already taken dressed up as a consultation.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It seems TPE want to scrap a key part of their business in these parts in return for vanity projects like serving Saltburn, which will mean a lot of fresh air being carried from MBR-SLB.
Obviously it might look that way, but the reasons for serving Saltburn (primarily, improved reliability by extending the turnaround time) are very different to the reasons for no longer serving Edinburgh (being shoved out of the way to make room for more London trains). The latter certainly isn't a matter of choice.

tommy2215

On a whole I think I support the changes. And I'm glad the significant, permanent cuts some people predicted don't seem to have happened, at least in the North. Newcastle - Manchester becoming 1tph I don't think is a huge problem, as there will still be 4tph York - Manchester and 6tph York - Newcastle.

With regards to LNER stopping patterns, the number of trains on the ECML makes the pathing flexibility small. LNER have clearly put a lot of consideration into what destinations are most popular and made the stopping patterns fit best they can.

What I want to see is the DfT coming up with a serious plan to increase capacity on the CrossCountry voyagers routes. And not one that will happen in 5-10 years time or a plan which they will mull over and may or may not implement.

Wow swingeing cutbacks to my home station (Northallerton).
I'm not sure that's quite accurate. Northallerton does gain an hourly CrossCountry service to replace the Airport-Newcastle service and while there is a very small number of stops removed on the Airport-Saltburn there is a slight increase in LNER stops and an extra Grand Central train in each direction. In terms on number of services serving Northallerton doesn't seem to change at all really.

Status
Not open for further replies.