• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Velorail for Kidwelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
One here for Mr Greenback...
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/rail-tourism-winners-announced
Rheilffordd Cwm Gwendraeth/Gwendraeth Valley Rail: valley community rail corridor and velorail development £75,000. A unique ‘velorail’ rail bike visitor attraction will be developed on a disused Network Rail branch and rail-side land starting in Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire.

Announced as part of the Rail Tourism grants initiative.

Seems very good value for £75k - using the long disused coal branch (BP+GVR) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
France has a good number - an excellent way of seeing the rural countryside (and good excercise too !) - if you fancy a picnic en route ,, you just life the velo off the track.!

Harbornite

Established Member
There was a similar for the mothballed/ OOU branchline from Gaerwen to Amwlch in Anglesey.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I wish this Velorail endeavour the best of luck down on the Gwendraeth Valley line. Up at Trawsfynydd, with the Ffestiniog Railway next door, they'd have been hard-pressed to get a good market share.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
One here for Mr Greenback...

Rheilffordd Cwm Gwendraeth/Gwendraeth Valley Rail: valley community rail corridor and velorail development £75,000. A unique ‘velorail’ rail bike visitor attraction will be developed on a disused Network Rail branch and rail-side land starting in Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire.

Announced as part of the Rail Tourism grants initiative.

Seems very good value for £75k - using the long disused coal branch (BP+GVR) :D

Thank you!

This looks like a great idea. I don't think the branch in question has been used since 1996, and I can't see it ever being needed again. Kidwelly has a great castle, and any additional attractions for visitors can only be a good thing.

I must confess I don't know anything about how it works, and there are probably many hurdles to overcome before anything can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.