• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Very interesting services today between London Paddington and Bristol Temple Meads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 33

Established Member
Due to some engineering work today, services today calling intermmediently at Swindon only! Running via the Newbury and Trowbridge route, and Chippenham and Bath Spa. Very interesting, and rare for services to run non-stop through Reading in particular! Have never seen any services like these before! Good for those of us who enjoy nice long lengthy non-stop runs, rather than stopping at stations every 10-15 minutes! I wish I'd have spotted these interesting services today a while back, as I would have booked a journey to London and back if so! I like journeys which run via a different route and different stopping patterns to what they usually are.

Services to South Wales calling at Swindon, Chippenham, Bath Spa, and Bristol Parkway enroute.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Due to some engineering work today, services today calling intermmediently at Swindon only! Running via the Newbury and Trowbridge route, and Chippenham and Bath Spa. Very interesting, and rare for services to run non-stop through Reading in particular! Have never seen any services like these before! Good for those of us who enjoy nice long lengthy non-stop runs, rather than stopping at stations every 10-15 minutes! I wish I'd have spotted these interesting services today a while back, as I would have booked a journey to London and back if so! I like journeys which run via a different route and different stopping patterns to what they usually are.

Services to South Wales calling at Swindon, Chippenham, Bath Spa, and Bristol Parkway enroute.

The South Wales services are running via the Chilterns and Oxford -they are not running via Reading (there is a stop at Oxford but that is not advertised). In fact there is nothing through Reading apart from services from Waterloo.

Last edited:

Class 33

Established Member
Ah I see. Thought they were running through Reading but not stopping there due to a lot of platforms being out of use this weekend due to engineering work there.

Either way though, still very interesting services. Wish I'd have spotted them a while back so I could book a return journey on them! It'll probably be some time till there are services like these again!

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Are you sure trains aren't running via Reading? Rumour was yesterday that the weekend blockade was being cancelled at the very last minute.

BestWestern

Established Member
The blockade is in place, trains definitely not running via Reading!

BestWestern

Established Member
Most interesting was perhaps the Carmarthen, which runs Paddington to West Ealing, up the Greenford Branch, South Ruislip, High Wycombe, Oxford, calls Swindon - Chippenham - Bath, then around the 'Rhubarb' (Temple Meads avoider), then into Bristol Parkway and reverse, and finally off into South Wales!

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The title says between Paddington and Bristol TM. In the main, following the commencement of the blockade, Bristol trains are turning round at Didcot Parkway, West of England via Bristol and Chilterns with connecting trains running between Taunton and Theale, South Wales trains via Oxford and Chilterns. There are buses between Didcot and Theale to/from Maidenhead and for Reading itself for Reading itself passengers. The need for the Chiltern diversions to reverse at Banbury as in the past has, of course, disappeared now following the opening of the new Chord linking Bicester with the Chiltern route.

MarlowDonkey

There are buses between Didcot and Theale to/from Maidenhead and for Reading itself for Reading itself passengers.

It looks as well as if they may be giving the new electric trains a fast run from Maidenhead to London and vv. (Although they might just be Turbos if they can't get to Reading anyway)

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Most interesting was perhaps the Carmarthen, which runs Paddington to West Ealing, up the Greenford Branch, South Ruislip, High Wycombe, Oxford, calls Swindon - Chippenham - Bath, then around the 'Rhubarb' (Temple Meads avoider), then into Bristol Parkway and reverse, and finally off into South Wales!

6 hour journey! Currently on 1558 off Paddington now, about to pass through the Severn Tunnel.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Out of interest how were loadings holding up today? Do the services that are diverted get mobbed or do punters tend to steer clear altogether when things like this happen on Great Western?

BestWestern

Established Member
Out of interest how were loadings holding up today? Do the services that are diverted get mobbed or do punters tend to steer clear altogether when things like this happen on Great Western?

Very much a mixed bag. Some busy trains this morning, but rather quiet this afternoon.

ValleyLines142

Established Member

Local Bristol services short formed. 1841 to Great Malvern (2E27) just a single 153 yesterday.

1B59 was lightly loaded upon departure from Bristol Parkway.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Having the Bicester chord available now gives GWR an alternative route.

No doubt those trains that are calling at Swindon will use the Foxhall curve to avoid a reversal at Didcot Parkway?

Are Cotswold Line services running via High Wycombe to Oxford, reverse and then normal route?

BestWestern

Established Member

No doubt those trains that are calling at Swindon will use the Foxhall curve to avoid a reversal at Didcot Parkway?

Are Cotswold Line services running via High Wycombe to Oxford, reverse and then normal route?

They are indeed using Foxhall curve.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Gives them another alternative route which doesn't involve reversing at Banbury as has happened on previous GWR HST diversions

jimm

Established Member

No - Cotswold Line services are running Hereford/Worcester to Didcot, with passengers to/from London told to change at Oxford and use Chiltern services to and from Marylebone - as are Oxford passengers. The diverted HSTs call at Oxford only for crew/pilot purposes, not passengers.

Arrangements for all GWR routes are explained on the currently weekly alterations pdf at this page

https://www.gwr.com/travel-updates/planned-engineering

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
No - Cotswold Line services are running Hereford/Worcester to Didcot, with passengers to/from London told to change at Oxford and use Chiltern services to and from Marylebone - as are Oxford passengers. The diverted HSTs call at Oxford only for crew/pilot purposes, not passengers.

Arrangements for all GWR routes are explained on the currently weekly alterations pdf at this page

https://www.gwr.com/travel-updates/planned-engineering
Much appreciated for the info

EAD

I was in Oxford yesterday having taken the train from MYB (London Marylebone). Chiltern was unfortunately affected by a person hit by a train at PRR on Friday night in the peak and clearly that set is currently out of use and others were pretty mixed up by end of service Friday night, so my train to OXF was short formed unfortunately just as they needed them all lengthened (as planned) for the extra demand with the PAD route out.

On way back in evening I broke my journey at HDM to see relatives - delays of about 10 minutes were normal in particular for trains to and from Oxford. It was slightly misty and it was fun watching the diverted HSTs come into view and then off into the night. They too seemed to be struggling to keep time - looking at them through the usual detailed apps the single stretch north of Oxford did seem to be causing a few issues. Just a slight delay and a train would be at a stand waiting on the junction owing to passing other services including the HSTs. My evening train from Haddenham back to London was 10 late and let out in front of one of the diverted HSTs at Oxford. The HST then chased us all the way up to Ruislip and our driver put in a spirited performance through the Chilterns (only stop High Wycombe) to claw it back to basically a couple down at MYB.

LAX54

Established Member
You could fly to New York in that time (and no doubt for half the price <D)

7 hours 35 mins and £1735 one way, and £1777 on the way back, that;s the fare booking the day before you go !

Oh that IS economy !

Class 33

Established Member
One thing I noticed yesterday when looking at the live departures board on the NationalRail website, from Bristol Temple Meads there was a 1900 service to Didcot Parkway calling at Bath Spa, Chippenham, Swindon enroute. And there was a 1905 service to London Paddington running non-stop to Swindon via the same route. Yet both services were scheduled to depart Swindon at 1940 - how can that be possible?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
One thing I noticed yesterday when looking at the live departures board on the NationalRail website, from Bristol Temple Meads there was a 1900 service to Didcot Parkway calling at Bath Spa, Chippenham, Swindon enroute. And there was a 1905 service to London Paddington running non-stop to Swindon via the same route. Yet both services were scheduled to depart Swindon at 1940 - how can that be possible?

Glitch. Probably failed to cancel the original in systems.

louis97

Established Member

This was a difference between the working and passenger timetables. The one departing Bristol at 1900 was due to arrive Swindon at 1939h. The 1905 service was due to arrive at 1943h. Both however were advertised as 1940 arrivals in the passenger timetable, looks like an oversight.

Note Live Departure Boards would have shown the arrivals, both had an extended dwell at Swindon. The Paddington service then went ahead of the Didcot train.

Glitch. Probably failed to cancel the original in systems.

Both trains ran, see above for the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.