• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vicar up on Voyeurism charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-shock-married-vicar-arrested-voyeurism.html

He is a crank too :roll:
Villagers in shock as married vicar is arrested for 'voyeurism'

• Rev Richard Lee suspended from post at two churches after arrest
  • Parishioners shocked at news of police probe into 'popular' figure
A married vicar has been suspended from his job after he was arrested on suspicion of voyeurism.

The Rev Richard Lee, 48, has been on police bail since the summer while officers investigate the case.

Police yesterday refused to reveal details of the claims against him.

Mr Lee is the Church of England vicar for two Somerset village churches near Weston-super-Mare, St Augustine’s in Locking and St Mary’s in Hutton, where his 47-year-old wife, the Rev Anne Lee, also works.

He is also the co-ordinator of a local music group called WWJD.

The couple – who met while studying to be vicars and have two children – moved from their previous parish in Kent five years ago.

Yesterday members of his previous congregation expressed shock at his arrest.

A female parishioner at All Saints Church in Hempstead, Kent, said: ‘Richard was really popular here. He got on with everyone.

'I’m pretty shocked to hear [of his arrest].’

Last night it was not clear whether or not Mrs Lee is still officiating at services while her husband is on police bail.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Only the merest mention of railways seems to ensure the Daily Mail / Mail Online will make a story out of it...<(

Thats what I thought, no doubt once The Sun get hold of it there will make a big thing of him being a crank and implying that having an interest in railways makes someone a bit odd <D<D

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
The vicar may or may not be guilty. He hasn't been tried yet.

The self-identified "pervs" are the journalists and publishers of the Mail, who are disguising titillation and scandalmongering as "news".

Anon Mouse

Established Member
The vicar may or may not be guilty. He hasn't been tried yet.

The self-identified "pervs" are the journalists and publishers of the Mail, who are disguising titillation and scandalmongering as "news".

Fair point, and even if he is innocent his name has been plastered all over the newspapers. Seems he is an outspoken critic of gay marriage too....

SS4

Established Member
I'm confused, why is his arrest being published now yet he's been on bail since summer (at least 4 months) :s

Due to my personal policy of not clicking a single Daily Mail link (They deliberately put controversial headlines on to generate page views which advertisers pay them for with no sense of fact checking) I can't check the article date

Zoidberg

Established Member
I'm confused, why is his arrest being published now yet he's been on bail since summer (at least 4 months) :s

Due to my personal policy of not clicking a single Daily Mail link (They deliberately put controversial headlines on to generate page views which advertisers pay them for with no sense of fact checking) I can't check the article date

The link in the original post is to a 2nd November 2012 article - still a bit of a delay but not as bad as it just being publicised now.

Oh, I clicked on it twice to make up for you not clicking on it :)

Last edited:

Anon Mouse

Established Member
The link in the original post is to a 2nd November 2012 article - still a bit of a delay but not as bad as it just being publicised now.

I just heard about it today on a link from some local newspaper. Its curious that they are no details of what he is actually accused of....I just found it a bit odd that they made mention of his personal hobbies and interests...is it a way of the paper finding something to ridicule him further to detract from the lack of actual facts towards his alledged crimes?

SS4

Established Member
I just found it a bit odd that they made mention of his personal hobbies and interests...is it a way of the paper finding something to ridicule him further to detract from the lack of actual facts towards his alledged crimes?

Pretty much. It's both sickening and saddening that it has a high readership

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Pretty much. It's both sickening and saddening that it has a high readership

I can't understand that either, sadly its one of the only papers (along with The Scum) that we find on the train. I've stopped getting annoyed when I skim through it and now I skim through to have a laugh at the crap they publish

Trainfan344

Established Member
I think the Metro newspaper should be available at every staffed railway station during ticket office opening hours.

radamfi

Established Member
I think the Metro newspaper should be available at every staffed railway station during ticket office opening hours.

The Metro is owned by the same company as the Mail. Even the Metro exaggerates and lies like other newspapers. Best to avoid all newspapers altogether.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
The Metro is owned by the same company as the Mail. Even the Metro exaggerates and lies like other newspapers. Best to avoid all newspapers altogether.

The Independent & The Guardian are good reads though

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Typical Daily Mail thread title as well...

I agree. I will remove the 'Pervy' from the title, as the man has not bene trie dor convicted of any crime at all so far.

Fair point, and even if he is innocent his name has been plastered all over the newspapers. Seems he is an outspoken critic of gay marriage too....

Another victim of trial by the media I'm afraid.

Absolutely right, and i do. Apart from the local paper, which I have bought twice in two tears for very specific reasons, I do not buy any newspapers at all.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Apolgies for use of the word 'Pervy' in the title, as the link was from the Mail I thought it would be apt to use their type of language. I will add that my feelings towards that rag are very negative and edge towards my strong feelings against the Sun. I still thought it was a typical middle England salacious scandal which the Mail seem to love....I was just trying to discuss why the link between his alledged "voyerisim" and his enthusuasim towards "playing music" and being interested in "Railways" something that is totally unconnected but the press love to use it as a way of knocking people.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Apolgies for use of the word 'Pervy' in the title, as the link was from the Mail I thought it would be apt to use their type of language. I will add that my feelings towards that rag are very negative and edge towards my strong feelings against the Sun. I still thought it was a typical middle England salacious scandal which the Mail seem to love....I was just trying to discuss why the link between his alledged "voyerisim" and his enthusuasim towards "playing music" and being interested in "Railways" something that is totally unconnected but the press love to use it as a way of knocking people.

No need to apologise. I realise it was a direct quote.

My own opinion about the railway interest link is that the mainstream media still seem to regard anything to do with an enthusisam for trains or railways as a bit abnormal. No doubt if the perosn was a stamp collector it would have not been mentioned.

The fact is that the press cannot simply report a story base don the facts these days. It all has to be slanted in order to arouse feelings of hatred, entertain or amuse. And if they can also find a way to spin the story to suit their own political agenda, then all the better.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
No need to apologise. I realise it was a direct quote.

My own opinion about the railway interest link is that the mainstream media still seem to regard anything to do with an enthusisam for trains or railways as a bit abnormal. No doubt if the perosn was a stamp collector it would have not been mentioned.

The fact is that the press cannot simply report a story base don the facts these days. It all has to be slanted in order to arouse feelings of hatred, entertain or amuse. And if they can also find a way to spin the story to suit their own political agenda, then all the better.

I think you are right, railways seem to be a fringe interest and still attract ridicule, jokes and humiliation in the popular press. As far as I can remember (I'm only 33 remember) its always been the same. At work, for example all eyes are glued on Top Gear and ears all listening to the wibble from Clarkson yet the same people will have a laugh at the one reading a Railway magazine or discussing the merits of certain loco's. I am not offended by that as I think it comes with the territory but I can understand why some enthusuasts at work keep their interests a secret (I tried it when I first started but I found drivers would reconise me and toot when I had my camera out :lol:)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think you are right, railways seem to be a fringe interest and still attract ridicule, jokes and humiliation in the popular press. As far as I can remember (I'm only 33 remember) its always been the same. At work, for example all eyes are glued on Top Gear and ears all listening to the wibble from Clarkson yet the same people will have a laugh at the one reading a Railway magazine or discussing the merits of certain loco's. I am not offended by that as I think it comes with the territory but I can understand why some enthusuasts at work keep their interests a secret (I tried it when I first started but I found drivers would reconise me and toot when I had my camera out :lol:)

Perhaps part of the problem is that cars and motoring are seen as trendy and forward looking, whereas trains and raiwlays are regarded as old fashioned backward looking?

In the mainstream press there seems a grudging acceptance that railways have a role to play around London, but that is strictly limited to getting people to and from the centre and their place of work. Anyone who is actually interested in such a thing, must, therefore, be slightly cracked.

But it is this view that is skewed in my book. There are a substantial number of people in the UK who are interested in railways, whether it be the traction, the history, modelling or even timetables, as we all know on here, even if some choose to keep their interest private.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Perhaps part of the problem is that cars and motoring are seen as trendy and forward looking, whereas trains and raiwlays are regarded as old fashioned backward looking?

In the mainstream press there seems a grudging acceptance that railways have a role to play around London, but that is strictly limited to getting people to and from the centre and their place of work. Anyone who is actually interested in such a thing, must, therefore, be slightly cracked.

But it is this view that is skewed in my book. There are a substantial number of people in the UK who are interested in railways, whether it be the traction, the history, modelling or even timetables, as we all know on here, even if some choose to keep their interest private.

Hmm that is a very good point and dispite very modern developments like Eurostar, Virgin Pendolino's & HS1 that grab the headlines for a few weeks the old stereotypes of overcrowded/dirty/uncomftable/old fashioned headlines return. I've always wondered if this really does just come from public perception or if the press just find it as an easy way to make a fun story. After all some motoring enthusuasts are a bit cranky and do things that a large proportion of people find odd but they get none of the 'accepted' mickey taking. I used to blame Jasper Carrot on his frequent jibes at trainspotters but with a more tolerent and sensible (I hope) head on suerly you can't blame on semi-popular stand up comedian? :lol:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Hmm that is a very good point and dispite very modern developments like Eurostar, Virgin Pendolino's & HS1 that grab the headlines for a few weeks the old stereotypes of overcrowded/dirty/uncomftable/old fashioned headlines return. I've always wondered if this really does just come from public perception or if the press just find it as an easy way to make a fun story. After all some motoring enthusuasts are a bit cranky and do things that a large proportion of people find odd but they get none of the 'accepted' mickey taking. I used to blame Jasper Carrot on his frequent jibes at trainspotters but with a more tolerent and sensible (I hope) head on suerly you can't blame on semi-popular stand up comedian? :lol:

No, I wouldn't solely blame Jasper Carrot! I think that it is a wider perception than that, and one that is largely driven by writers and journalists, whether they work on a national newspaper or a glossy style magazine. The inference is that railways are, as you put it, dirty, uncomfortable etc, even though this is not backed up factully as, in the vast majority of cases, modern trains are far cleaner and (at least for short journeys) brighter and more comfortable than those of 30 years ago.

Yet some of thos ewriting this sort of dross were not even born during the era of Mark I compartments on Cardiff to Portsmouth trains!

And this popular perception of railways and railway enthusiasts permeates into the national subconsciousness as a result. So more and more people have become used to thinking of railway enthusiasts as nerdy, obsessive, slightly weird and not as normal as those who ar enot enthusiasts.

This attitude has been adopted by the enthusiasts themselves to a certain degree, by referring to those outisde the hobby as 'normals'. Whilst I find it harmless, it does tend to reinforce the belief that enthusiasts aren't normal!

Anon Mouse

Established Member
It also makes me laugh that, when I used to go to away games the lads (who knew I was an enthusuast) would rip the mickey out of me about it at any opportunity yet when in the pub planning the times for the next away trip they would always ask me nearest stations to grounds, train times etc etc

I think your right about some of us (myself included) embracing some of the 'tags' such as refering to non-entusuasts as 'normals' and to each other as 'cranks'.

Out of interest has anyone any idea when it went from being 'cool' to 'sad' being an enthusuast does it go back to the end of steam or later?

Johnuk123

Established Member
Out of interest has anyone any idea when it went from being 'cool' to 'sad' being an enthusuast does it go back to the end of steam or later?

It's never ever been cool and never ever will, it's just how it is.

I would say in the nerd stakes aircraft are seen as the least nerdy railways in the middle and buses very much bottom.

When I was in the Met a couple of aircraft enthusiasts were never ribbed.
There are a lot of railway buffs in the job who were "tolerated" but I remember a Sergeant who liked buses he was the most ridiculed officer I ever met.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It used to be considered quitenormal to be interested in trains and railways, at least if you were at school, in the times when most boys wanted to be an engine driver.

Although I am too old to have been there, my feeling is that the Beeching era, and the introduction of diesels did most to undermine the image of the railways. Though it wasn't helped by the introduction of the corporate blue grey livery, and the jokes about stale sandwiches either!

Looking back, the employment of Jimmy Savile to advertise trains may also have helped to amke railway enthusiasts appear weird :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.