• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vintage Trains Pannier Locos & GWR RailCar 93

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good Morning,

I just came across a couple of Steam Video DVDs from 2011 & 2013. They were very interesting and a couple of items particularly interested me.

One item was they showed a Small Pannier Loco hauling Empty Carriage Stick coming into Birmingham Moor Street Bay Platforms, the train would form a Shakespere Express later that day. Do Vintage often use steam train for these empty stock movements? On most steam railtours I have been on, this has been done by diesel. I also noted that two of the Panniers infact hauled a charter train on the main line, again does that often happen with these smaller locos?

The other item I found of interest was, the use of GWR RailCar 93, when they were doing specials on the Looe Branch. Has that been repeated either there or elsewhere on the main line? Where does that railcar usually live and doing what duties. I presume that they can be driven from either end. Very useful on branch lines and especially the Looe Line where a reversal is made enroute.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
It hasn't been repeated on the Looe Branch and I don't think it's been used anywhere else on the national network, though it has operated on other heritage lines since then. It usually lives at Didcot.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

It hasn't been repeated on the Looe Branch and I don't think it's been used anywhere else on the national network, though it has operated on other heritage lines since then. It usually lives at Didcot.
The Steam Railmotor was also used on the Brentford branch from Southall on 18 and 19 October 2014. It moved between Southall and Didcot behind a class 37.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Vintage trains usually run a few tours a year with Pannier tanks. There have been three this year.

mushroomchow

Yeah, the Panniers are often used on specials along the Leicester - Peterborough route. It's a treat to see them working flat-out, even if the top speed is pretty low - tank engines on the mainline isn't something I really expected to see even a few years ago after the various Standard 4s went out of ticket, so full props to Vintage Trains for getting them registered.

Chris125

Established Member
One item was they showed a Small Pannier Loco hauling Empty Carriage Stick coming into Birmingham Moor Street Bay Platforms, the train would form a Shakespere Express later that day. Do Vintage often use steam train for these empty stock movements?

IIRC that was a one-off to mark the reopening of the bay platforms - the Shakespeare Express normally operates from Snow Hill where the loco can run round.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
IIRC that was a one-off to mark the reopening of the bay platforms - the Shakespeare Express normally operates from Snow Hill where the loco can run round.

I did wonder if it was something like that. Mind you, it must get quite smokey in Snow Hill when steam is there and or a run round too. :D

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Yeah, the Panniers are often used on specials along the Leicester - Peterborough route. It's a treat to see them working flat-out, even if the top speed is pretty low - tank engines on the mainline isn't something I really expected to see even a few years ago after the various Standard 4s went out of ticket, so full props to Vintage Trains for getting them registered.

Yes, well done to them indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.