• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Visiting a station as a trainspotter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

What are the rules for this? Do you have to ask or can you just turn up? Let me know anything I should know

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
There are different protocols for different stations. Where are you thinking?

Iskra

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly, Manchester Victoria, and Manchester Airport

Okay, at stations of those size you would probably be required to sign in at the station office with the supervisor. It’s possible they might tell you they don’t allow spotters, or that you need to stay in a certain area/stay out of the way.

Running Pete

I've spotted on and off at Piccadilly and Victoria for 40 years, never asked permission and can't recall an issue.

Condor7

As mentioned there is no one rule governing this. As a rule of thumb if there are no barriers onto the platform just walk on and start spotting and so long as you act responsibly there should not be a problem, if for any reason there is a problem a member of railway staff will come and have a word.

If there are barriers then just ask one of the staff at the barriers. Some require you to sign in at the station managers office where you will be given a ticket or slip of paper as a pass, at other stations some still issue platform tickets at the ticket office at a nominal price.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I've never ever signed in or asked permission, though i've always arrived on the station by train so had a valid ticket anyway. I wandered around Piccadilly fine last year.

Iskra

Established Member
I've never ever signed in or asked permission, though i've always arrived on the station by train so had a valid ticket anyway. I wandered around Piccadilly fine last year.

There are usually spotters at Picc, so I assumed it was fine, but I just wanted to cover all the bases with the information I gave :) There are certainly some stations out there where rules are enforced or spotters aren’t particularly welcomed.

Last edited:

birchesgreen

Established Member
There are certainly some stations out there were rules are enforced or spotters aren’t particularly welcomed.

Yeah i've heard that though never encountered anything personally, never been to Blackpool North though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.