• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Visiting the NRM by car

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
I’m considering visiting the NRM On Saturday for the first time in about 2 to 3 years. If I go I will be driving. Just wondered if anyone who’s been recently could recommend a place to park?

I’m reluctant to use the actual NRM car park as it’s £9/day and I’ll probably only be there a couple of hours.

There used to be a tiny car park further along Leeman Road on the opposite side to the museum, is that still there?
Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There is a big station carpark just over the road from the museum but I am unsure of the prices these days. I think there is still a very small car park right at the end of Leeman Road

gledhill56

There’s also the option of using the Rawcliffe Bar Park and Ride which stops right outside the door. £3.30

Meole

NRM car park is £10, however you are supporting the museum when using it.

NRM car park is £10, however you are supporting the museum when using it.

Correct. I used it on the 31st October after coming south off a railtour. It was rather expensive for a short visit and the state it was in and if you drive into the wrong water filled pothole it may prove a tad more expensive.

Nearly enjoyed the visit until encountering a tardy hostile staff member in the Great Hall who stopped my youngest child and partner from looking at the last few exhibits even though they had over 25 minutes (he had been in the small play facility until that shut at 4pm), claiming the museum was about to close so there wasn't time. They had only needed 2 minutes and we only needed another 5 minutes to reach the exit (in fact we had been out of the place with well over 10 minutes to spare). I'm not interested in the site's honourable intentions or positive aspects if there's needless hostility towards the potential next generation of those who may secure its future. I would probably visit the site again but only if an earlier booking slot was available and with a little hesitance after that. I did pass on the feedback to the NRM but had no reply. The Science Museum in Manchester had a similar tone just several days later so I expect its curator's culture in some sites to show impatience in the last half hour to ensure as many people are gone before the official closing time.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’m considering visiting the NRM On Saturday for the first time in about 2 to 3 years. If I go I will be driving. Just wondered if anyone who’s been recently could recommend a place to park?

I’m reluctant to use the actual NRM car park as it’s £9/day and I’ll probably only be there a couple of hours.

There used to be a tiny car park further along Leeman Road on the opposite side to the museum, is that still there?
Thanks!
Which direction are you driving from?

As others have said P&R may be an option; there are plenty of P&R sites in York. Askham Bar, Poppleton Bar as well as Rawcliffe, depending on the direction you are coming from. Also, in the unlikely event you are coming from the Hull direction, Grimston Bar.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The website indicates that Poppleton Bar is currently closed also.

Status
Not open for further replies.