• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wales: Current Covid rules illogical

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWM

Established Member
So they want to widen usage of something that was to stop cases soaring because cases are soaring.:rolleyes:

Least surprising news ever.

As I've said before, masks were the prototype for all this. We're seeing the same total lack of logic here.

Of course it should be very clear at this point that this is nothing whatever to do with controlling a virus but all about controlling people.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member

As I've said before, masks were the prototype for all this. We're seeing the same total lack of logic here.

Of course it should be very clear at this point that this is nothing whatever to do with controlling a virus but all about controlling people.

Certainly seems that way. So you have a measure which clearly isn’t working, so let’s do more of that measure!

Smidster

Makes total sense doesn't it - what do we do with a measure that clearly doesn't work? Do more of it as its failure clearly means that we aren't doing enough of it

Of course it is the businesses that are taking the real hit here - a 40% decline in trade in Scotland over the first weekend of VPs

Dai Corner

Established Member
Announcement from the owner of a bar in Wales which is open after midnight at weekends and has live music. Apparently if the band stops playing by midnight (and the jukebox goes back on) it doesn't count as a nightclub and Covid passes aren't required.

Update On Covid Pass
When we have live music the bands will be finished by midnight and you do not need a covid pass
So just to clear it up for you...you DO NOT need a pass even when we have live music on
Open till 3am every Saturday

Bikeman78

Established Member

See below. Over in Wales the masks aren't working so the medics are asking for tougher measures. I get that it's crap working in the NHS at the moment but introducing more petty rules is unlikely to make the slightest bit of difference to the daily workload of doctors and nurses.

Of course, as already pointed out by many people, this proves that bringing back masks in England will make no difference. Dr Atherton complains that some people act like it's all over. For most people it is. Once they are vaccinated, it doesn't get better than that. One has the choice of hide in the house or get on with life.

People in Wales need to continue following current Covid rules or stricter measures could be brought in.

That is the stark warning from Wales' Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Dr Frank Atherton.

It comes just days after Wales' coronavirus infection rate hit record high levels - making it the fourth-highest in the world.

Dr Atherton, who advises the Welsh Government on its Covid response and attends many of the key Sage meetings, told BBC Wales Breakfast on Monday: "A very significant proportion of the Welsh population is still behaving with extreme caution and realises that we are not out of the woods with this yet, but there is a sense other places that it is all over.

"When we see people not using face coverings, even though it's a legal requirement to do so, that worries me.

Furryanimal

So proving organisations can make things up as they go along the Cardiff Motorpoint has cancelled all previously issued paper tickets for the concert i am attending there on Saturday week.
Eveyone has been issued with an e-ticket instead( not sure how those without smart phones,tablets or printers are being accommodated).Gigs and tours seemed to be discouraging me from printing mine(i have!).
And i have rather gained the impression they expect us to wear masks throughout the concert( i could have missed it but the rules clearly state you must only remove your mask if eating or drinking).
Can’t see too many complying with this...and i will need my vaccine passport even though,as far i can tell,this seated concert does not meet the Welsh Governments threshold for their use.
And we are apparently required to remain seated at the end of the concert until told we can leave.
Good luck with that too....some will be racing for last trains ( or buses if there are any) or wanting to get to the car park before it gets locked.
Not so much a concern for me because i’ll be splashing out on a taxi to avoid drunken rugby fans but i think i’ll err
on the side of caution when booking it.

Smidster

More restrictions on the way for Wales with a threat that if rates don't come down in three weeks there will be more to come.

Papers will now be required to enter a Cinema or Theater - Utterly pointless.

There will also be changes to self-isolation guidance for people who live with someone who tests positive. Previously if you were vaccinated you did not need to self-isolate but now you would need to do so until you get a negative PCR test - Think this is guidance only

Shops are being asked to enforce masking more thoroughly - Again pointless.

nedchester

Established Member
More restrictions on the way for Wales with a threat that if rates don't come down in three weeks there will be more to come.

There will also be changes to self-isolation guidance for people who live with someone who tests positive. Previously if you were vaccinated you did not need to self-isolate but now you would need to do so until you get a negative PCR test - Think this is guidance only

Covid restriction mission creep............(as expected)

MikeWM

Established Member

Pointless from the point of view of stopping the spread of a virus.

Not pointless at all from the point of view of extending government control over ever more aspects of everyday life, which has been the aim all along.

I do find it astonishing that - as I refuse to show 'government permission' to do everyday activities, whether I qualify for that permission or not - I will now not be able to visit a Welsh cinema, something I have done often in the past. We're going down an incredibly dangerous road, to a place that I don't think many people want to go, although I'm not sure they'll realise it before it is too late.

I hope there will be significant pushback from cinemas, at least. They have been very opposed to this idea.

Smidster

Covid restriction mission creep............(as expected)

And in other completely unexpected news of mission creep

"When asked for a specific example, he said: "The hospitality industry needs to use the next three weeks to prepare for the possibility that Covid passes might need to be introduced in that setting."

Yew

Established Member
And in other completely unexpected news of mission creep

"When asked for a specific example, he said: "The hospitality industry needs to use the next three weeks to prepare for the possibility that Covid passes might need to be introduced in that setting."

Three weeks, isn’t this how long all of this was supposed to last to “flatten the curve”?

Bikeman78

Established Member

I recall at the start of the last lockdown that Pets at Home had a bloke standing outside in the cold whose only purpose was to check that people were wearing masks. It was the same man day after day. I don't know why he couldn't stand inside in the warm. Inside the place was usually deserted. It's a massive warehouse type place. I have no idea what difference wearing a mask was supposed to make or why someone had to stand in the cold for weeks to enforce it.

John Luxton

Established Member
I do find it astonishing that - as I refuse to show 'government permission' to do everyday activities, whether I qualify for that permission or not - I will now not be able to visit a Welsh cinema, something I have done often in the past. We're going down an incredibly dangerous road, to a place that I don't think many people want to go, although I'm not sure they'll realise it before it is too late.

I hope there will be significant pushback from cinemas, at least. They have been very opposed to this idea.
There needs to be a widespread pushback from everyone including the hospitality industry. I live just over the border but Wales is very much my go to leisure destination for most days out and some holidays. The whole passport system will break if only business would stand together and be backed by any relevant trade association who will if necessary fight court actions. However, I am sure if the Welsh Government were seen to be facing mass non compliance from businesses they would think again. As was said so many times last year "This all ends when we say NO!"

Fortunately I think more people would now be willing to stand up and be counted as they are getting restriction weary and just want normality.

John

MikeWM

Established Member
There needs to be a widespread pushback from everyone including the hospitality industry. I live just over the border but Wales is very much my go to leisure destination for most days out and some holidays. The whole passport system will break if only business would stand together and be backed by any relevant trade association who will if necessary fight court actions. However, I am sure if the Welsh Government were seen to be facing mass non compliance from businesses they would think again. As was said so many times last year "This all ends when we say NO!"

I agree 100% - otherwise our society is lost. This is the fight we have to win.

As an individual, all I can do is refuse to participate. As I have said a number of times on here, I will *never* collaborate with normalising the practice of showing 'government permission' to do things I could previously do freely. Whether I 'qualify' for the government permission or not, I will not be showing it and I will not be doing it. Businesses who do it will lose my custom, full stop.

If for example that means I have to go without going to the cinema - one of the things I enjoy most in this life - then so be it. Sometimes you just have to stick to your principles.

Fortunately I think more people would now be willing to stand up and be counted as they are getting restriction weary and just want normality.

I think so too, though I'm not sure it will be enough. I guess we shall see.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Case rates in Wales are beginning (this week) to reduce from the recent very high levels - 7-day rates of over 1000 in parts of South Wales last week.
We are down to something like 500 up here, still very high.
We look like avoiding further restrictions, but until the rates are down to about 100 or less, there will still need to be precautions, even if all it does is remind people there is a dangerous virus about.

stj

Everyone I know who has been infected in recent weeks got it from their kids.I think that is where its coming from.Shut Schools down?

MikeWM

Established Member
Good to see that the UK Cinema Association has already reiterated their strong opposition to Drakeford's 'plan'.

Reacting to the news, UK Cinema Association Chief Executive Phil Clapp said:

'...Introducing this barrier to cinema-going at a time when the sector is looking to recover from the impact of the pandemic could call into question the survival of many smaller cinema sites. This is not scare-mongering – where similar schemes have been introduced in other European territories, we have seen admissions drop by as much as 50 per cent. It will also require cinemas to employ significant additional staff resources in enforcement at a time when recruitment issues are to the fore, and finances already stretched...'

Smidster

We look like avoiding further restrictions, but until the rates are down to about 100 or less, there will still need to be precautions, even if all it does is remind people there is a dangerous virus about.

So that would be forever then?

This virus will be endemic for years and decades to come just like other respiratory viruses - This means a significant number of people each year will continue to contract the virus and get ill (and die) from it.

What level of precautions do you accept still in place in 2022? 2024? 2030? because Covid is not going anywhere though of course we can massively mitigate its impact through vaccines - everything else is tinkering at the edges.

greyman42

Established Member
Dangerous virus?

Everyone I know who has been infected in recent weeks got it from their kids.I think that is where its coming from.Shut Schools down?

Sent in error. This bus is jogging about.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Why? It will burn itself out soon. Why screw up the kids education again?

Richard Scott

Established Member
I take it this is tongue in cheek otherwise no, no and no again? Case numbers really don't matter anymore, it's just a media and politician obsession or those who would gain by increasing restrictions.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I take it this is tongue in cheek otherwise no, no and no again? Case numbers really don't matter anymore, it's just a media and politician obsession or those who would gain by increasing restrictions.
This ^^^^

We should be measuring the number of days off sick and hospitalisations.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I read a news item which was going on about testing school kids being part of "the solution" but, unless I am mistaken, far more children are missing school because they test positive than because they actually feel unwell.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I read a news item which was going on about testing school kids being part of "the solution" but, unless I am mistaken, far more children are missing school because they test positive than because they actually feel unwell.
A lot of current issues in education are being caused by this very problem, they test positive do automatically have to have 10 days off, we don't do this with flu.

Furryanimal

So this weekend I had my first experience of using my vaccine passport.
At the Cardiff v Newport rugby game ( only a few hunfred in) the stewards were not really interested in checking them.
But at the Motorpoint arena you weren’t allowed in the building without one.
The same at the Wales v Japan women’s rugby game yesterday.No passport.Not getting into the ground.
( negative tests also allowed of course).
I fear that in a month or two you will have to prove you are triple jabbed.

Dai Corner

Established Member
So this weekend I had my first experience of using my vaccine passport.
At the Cardiff v Newport rugby game ( only a few hunfred in) the stewards were not really interested in checking them.
But at the Motorpoint arena you weren’t allowed in the building without one.
The same at the Wales v Japan women’s rugby game yesterday.No passport.Not getting into the ground.
( negative tests also allowed of course).
I fear that in a month or two you will have to prove you are triple jabbed.
I think we're supposed to call them Covid passes in Wales rather than vaccine passports? Got to be different to England!

A lot of current issues in education are being caused by this very problem, they test positive do automatically have to have 10 days off, we don't do this with flu.
Yep. An acquaintance who's a teacher was telling what a problem the high absence levels were. Pre-pandemic they were obsessed with getting and keeping them below targets.

MattA7

It appears that the welsh government has now confirmed covid passes will be required for cinema and theaters. As if that industry wasn’t struggling enough without potentially deterring customers with this nonsense. No doubt Sturgeon will announce similar plans for Scotland.

People going to cinemas and theatres in Wales will be required to show a Covid pass after the Welsh government won a vote of the Senedd.
Currently visitors to nightclubs and large events have to show they are fully vaccinated, have tested negative for Covid, or have recently had the virus to enter.
From Monday it will be extended to cinemas, theatres and concert halls.
Labour ministers won the vote after Plaid Cymru backed the plans.
The new law passed with 39 Senedd members voting for and 15 against, with the Welsh Conservatives and Senedd Liberal Democrat Jane Dodds opposed.

MikeWM

Established Member
It appears that the welsh government has now confirmed covid passes will be required for cinema and theaters. As if that industry wasn’t struggling enough without potentially deterring customers with this nonsense. No doubt Sturgeon will announce similar plans for Scotland.

Of course - and despite the fact that cases are now going down in Wales. Almost as if this was step 2 of the plan *whatever* happened with the virus, eh? Steps 3, 4 etc. to arrive in due course.

Once introduced, these will never go away, they'll creep into ever more areas until our entire lives will be at the whim of government 'permission' to do things we could do freely in 2019.

Weren't the vaccines supposed to be the way to freedom? As I feared, they have instead become the route to permanent digital slavery.

Status
Not open for further replies.