• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wales: 'Essential travel only' message returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiff123

Established Member
Sadly, but perhaps predictably, it looks like the 'essential travel only' message is returning in Wales. I've not put this in the new thread on 'essential travel only' that's been started as this thread specifically applies to Wales only. Very depressing.

Covid: Call to avoid non-essential journeys in Wales

People across Wales have been asked to only make "necessary journeys" ahead of hundreds of thousands going into local restrictions.

Bridgend, Blaenau Gwent, Merthyr Tydfil and Newport will face new restrictions from 18:00 BST as Covid-19 cases rise.

People will not be able to enter or leave the areas without a reasonable excuse.

But First Minister Mark Drakeford urged people across Wales to only travel if it was essential.

He is expected to announce further measures later - coming on the same day as plans to restrict pub opening hours in England.

Speaking in the Senedd in response to Plaid Cymru leader Adam Price, Mr Drakeford said: "I will want to say something later today about trying to encourage people in Wales, only to make those journeys that are really necessary.

"I think every one of us should be asking ourselves - 'is that journey really essential?'

"Because the fewer people you meet, the fewer journeys you make, the less danger you are posing to yourself and others."

But he said "many" of the items the prime minister spoke of in the House of Commons for England have already been done in Wales, such as emphasising work from home.

"We have never gone down the line of saying that people should get back on the bus and get back into work," Mr Drakeford said.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
With the rule that you can't enter or leave Newport without a reason, does this mean people won't be able to travel from Bristol to Cardiff without good reason (since they'd have to go through Newport)?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Sadly, but perhaps predictably, it looks like the 'essential travel only' message is returning in Wales. I've not put this in the new thread on 'essential travel only' that's been started as this thread specifically applies to Wales only. Very depressing.
Disappointing to see, but Wales was always quite considerably stricter than the other UK nations. I expected it to return in Scotland today, but instead it was simply “essential international travel only”, and it remains guidance.

bramling

Veteran Member
With the rule that you can't enter or leave Newport without a reason, does this mean people won't be able to travel from Bristol to Cardiff without good reason (since they'd have to go through Newport)?

I think the guidance says it’s permissible if there’s no reasonable alternative route. That’s open to quite a bit of interpretation, indeed it doesn’t even clarify whether this is meant to apply to private car or public transport. Like anyone is going to detour off the M4 to get from Bristol to Cardiff?!

island

Veteran Member
I read that through journeys without stopping were OK but I don’t know if that’s (a) current or (b) guidelines or rules.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

No, you are allowed to pass through local lockdown areas without stopping. I can't reasonably see how the train calling at Newport could constitute stopping if you don't alight.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
No, you are allowed to pass through local lockdown areas without stopping. I can't reasonably see how the train calling at Newport could constitute stopping if you don't alight.

What about changing trains, given that some of these places involve more than one line? Presumably changing trains without leaving railway premises still counts as "passing through"?

Cardiff123

Established Member
From the TV announcement by Mark Drakeford this eveining and the interview with Vaughan Gething (the Welsh Health Minister) on BBC 1 Wales afterwards, it seems the 'essential travel' message won't be as draconian as previously and is being described as "think about if your journey is really necessary". Public transport isn't being singled out for this either, with the message applying to drivers as well. None of the "key workers and essential travel only" yet.

Of course this could change very quickly, and if (as I suspect) the new 'measures' announced today make very little difference, messagss and rules around travel could change in 2 or 3 weeks time from encouragement to enforcement.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well people from Wales (and Northern Ireland) certainly won't be travelling to Germany unless they are prepared to take a Covid Test on Arrival and self-isolate until the result comes through. The German Government made an announcement yesterday.

So far England and Scotland are still good to go !!!

Sweating now as in 11 Days I am supposed to be going to Berlin with my son - from EDI/LCY o_O

daodao

Established Member
The restrictions on essential travel only really do need to be imposed in North West England as well as North-East and South Wales. The number of cases, and with a lag probably deaths, is increasing rapidly.

Richard Scott

Established Member
The restrictions on essential travel only really do need to be imposed in North West England as well as North-East and South Wales. The number of cases, and with a lag probably deaths, is increasing rapidly.
How many people actually have it? Bet it's relatively still low. Even if it isn't the case what help will this directive be? Chances of getting virus on public transport is very low.

nedchester

Established Member
This does not follow logic. People are far closer together on public transport than in the pub.
They are (supposed to be) wearing masks. The evidence also points to the fact that both pubs and public transport are not major sources of infection.

The main sources are in the home, schools and care homes.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think it's proportional; see my recent posts about the people I know with symptoms and the impact on mental health and livelihoods.

As I've said before, I disagree with "essential travel only" as guidance or a restriction, but if it is to happen it must be a restriction and it absolutely must apply equally to car travel (which is the case in the relevant parts of Wales).

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

The "essential travel only" restriction does now apply in the latest set of rules for Liverpool City Region/Warrington/Halton from Saturday 3 October.
Applies to Wirral and Runcorn south of the Mersey.
Does not apply to Cheshire West or East (so Hooton-Helsby/Chester OK for now), though they are on the edge of similar restrictions.
The North Wales and North West restricted areas could well merge soon.
The North Wales infection rate in the restricted area is actually lower than in the adjacent unrestricted areas of Cheshire.

PS Latest from the BBC web site:
Six areas in England have been added to the coronavirus watchlist as an "area of concern".
They are Barrow-in-Furness in Cumbria, Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire East, Wakefield in West Yorkshire, Rotherham in South Yorkshire and Luton in Bedfordshire

Last edited:

kieron

Established Member
The North Wales infection rate in the restricted area is actually lower than in the adjacent unrestricted areas of Cheshire.
You've got different groups of people trying to work out what to do in each jurisdiction, and very little communication between the groups. You're bound to get different advice from each, even if the politicians want exactly the same thing.

With the problems in testing, the infection rates are a bit suspect anyway.

bramling

Veteran Member
This is because Wales (and Scotland) appear to be pursuing elimination, whereas England is not (Matt Hancock has explicitly said not now).

How on earth can they do elimination with there’s no demarcation? I’m sure Sturgeon would love there to be and will no doubt in time blame England for everything like she always does, but I’m not sure what Wales is trying to achieve. Parts of Wales have very heavy cross-border traffic.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
How on earth can they do elimination with there’s no demarcation? I’m sure Sturgeon would love there to be and will no doubt in time blame England for everything like she always does, but I’m not sure what Wales is trying to achieve. Parts of Wales have very heavy cross-border traffic.
Well, wee Sturgeon could get the furlough people - and the millions of imminently unemployed with no prospect of proper jobs - to start digging ditches and building walls on a massive 'make-work' project. Unfortunately the previous walls are in the wrong location. Wales has Offa's Dyke - virus control post at Knighton on the Heart of Wales line - all other routes in/out to be severed UFN.

DelW

Established Member
Well, wee Sturgeon could get the furlough people - and the millions of imminently unemployed with no prospect of proper jobs - to start digging ditches and building walls on a massive 'make-work' project. Unfortunately the previous walls are in the wrong location. Wales has Offa's Dyke - virus control post at Knighton on the Heart of Wales line - all other routes in/out to be severed UFN.
The Heart of Wales itself is already severed UFN in two places - by a landslip at Llangynllo and the aftermath of the oil train fire at Llangennech. Possibly not reopening until into the new year. Your scheme will have to wait a bit!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Travel restrictions in Wales are at the county level.
I think the only legal restriction is to wear a mask on public transport.
I live near the Denbighshire/Flintshire border, and cross multiple county borders (and into Cheshire) most days.
No road block or passport control this morning at the border. ;)
But there is a new yellow sign: "Local Covid Rules Apply - See gov.wales".

Just up the road is a half-mile stretch of the A494 which has Denbighshire on one side and Flintshire on the other.
The county border also runs across the summit of Moel Famau, a popular hiking destination.
Good luck enforcing the restrictions in these situations!
The rules say you can cross borders "if you cannot reasonably be expected to obtain goods and services within the area".
But travelling on holiday or to a second home is not allowed.

jtuk

No it isn't and no it isn't

Status
Not open for further replies.