• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Walking and Rambling discussion

Kite159

Veteran Member
A couple weeks ago I returned to do a bit more of the Thames Path, new coverage being from Cookham Bridge to the Summerleaze footbridge (near the M4 bridge). Certainly felt strange being on the M4 bridge when the motorway was closed due to improvement works! Next section will be from that bridge to Windsor (with a couple bits added onto the start & the finish as I'm planning to finish at Slough), although I might start heading West over the bank holiday weekend if the weather is decent [Tilehurst to maybe Cholsey, also to find in a small gap in the Reading area]

Anyhow this weekend, I made the most of the beautiful weather, Yesterday I did a trio of shorter walks in Cornwall. A little (~ 3 mile) loop from Perranwell, including going underneath the viaduct, waiting to grab a photo of the next Falmouth train passing over. A walk from Falmouth Docks to Penmere via the coast (4.8 miles) then in Truro walking the old Newham branch line (which looks like it's had some money thrown at it to upgrade the surface to be mostly stones).

Today I did one of my older ideas I threw together 18 months or so ago when I first got access to the OS website, with Overton to Basingstoke (making use of the later start from the trains due to engineering works). That clocked in at 16.7 miles (2nd longest single walk) as I did a loop towards a footpath crossing to the west of the Overton area as it's somewhere I've been over many times. Nice rural walk, busiest part was nearer Oakley then the Basingstoke suburbs.

Attachments

• PXL_20220521_105113995.jpg
    PXL_20220521_105113995.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bearhugger

Had a nice evening walk up to the Wainstones n the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors last night. A great stretch on the steep bit to the top of Hasty Bank and not particularly blustery either. Even spotted a couple of furry caterpillars.
Caterpillar.jpg

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'm looking into doing the Flitch Way (Bishop's Stortford–Braintree branch line) next weekend (weather permitting) and was trying to decide looking at the maps if heading to Bishop's Stortford or Stansted Mountfitchet will be easier at the Western end.

Has anybody done the route in the past?

THC

Many times from Bishop's Stortford or Stansted Airport rather than Mountfitchet. Better to start from Bishop's Stortford - leave the station by the Hockerill exit and walk up Warwick Road, then onto the A1250 past Birchanger Green services and out beyond Junction 8 - because you can then pick up the Flitch Way from the aptly-named Start Hill.

THC

johnnychips

Established Member
After a lot of weekends sorting out family stuff, it was great to be back out. I walked along the line of the River Dove on the Derbyshire side from Mayfield to Longnor. Glorious weather, neither hot nor cold, and the only crowded bit was around the stepping stones at the south end of Dovedale.

My transport:

£6.70 concession Derbyshire Wayfarer

EMR 180 from Sheffield to Derby
1a Arriva from Derby station to the bus station (yes I know this was idle)
Swift Trent Barton from Derby to Mayfield
Walk to Longnor
442 High Peak from Longnor to Buxton (after one was cancelled - had to have another pint in Cheshire Cheese)
199 High Peak from Buxton to Newtown
Walk from Newtown to New Mills Central. Train cancelled. Had to have a pint in Pride of the Peak.
Northern 195 from New Mills Central to Sheffield.

It was great, and would have been cheap but for the extra two pints I had to buy…sacrifices, eh?

1654980572472.jpeg

ChrisC

Established Member
I also did a walk in the Peak District on Friday but not quite the length as from Mayfield to Longnor.
I walked north along the River Derwent from Rowsley to Baslow which includes the lovely section through the length of Chatsworth Park. The first section of the walk from Rowsley to Calton Lees through meadows by the river was very quiet as I never saw another person. Even the section through Chatsworth was not too busy as it was not a weekend.

I also used a Concessionary Derbyshire Wayfarer at £6.70. Very good value simply as a multi operator bus ticket, even without using trains, for anyone over 60 who has not yet reached the qualifying age for a bus pass.

I drove the 12 miles from home in Nottinghamshire to park in Swanwick near Alfreton from where the Derbyshire Wayfarer would be valid. I know a wide quiet road to park there, a few minutes walk from the bus stop.

Trent Barton Comet from Swanwick to Chesterfield.
Stagecoach X17 from Chesterfield to Matlock.
Walked from Matlock to Matlock Bath where I sat amongst the motor bikers and had some very good fish and chips.
Trans Peak Bus from Matlock Bath to Rowsley
Walked from Rowsley to Baslow
Hulleys 170 from Baslow to Chesterfield
Trent Barton Comet from Chesterfield to Swanwick.

S&CLER

I enjoyed an excellent walk in spite of very high winds today, from Newby Head Moss on the Ribblehead-Hawes road by the Ribble Way and the Cam Road track to Gaudy Lane, from where we turned south to reach a footpath along the river, viewing Aysgill Force. We then walked into Gayle and across fields to Hawes. Ten miles in all, no steep climbs, only a gradual ascent to Ten End, around 588 metres a.s.l. and a steeper descent. Excellent views down Wensleydale. The sole of my left boot came loose but fortunately one of our party had some duct tape to effect a temporary repair. After changing into sandals for the coach trip home, I threw the boots away in Hawes, as they were an old pair which owed me nothing and I have other and better boots.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Many times from Bishop's Stortford or Stansted Airport rather than Mountfitchet. Better to start from Bishop's Stortford - leave the station by the Hockerill exit and walk up Warwick Road, then onto the A1250 past Birchanger Green services and out beyond Junction 8 - because you can then pick up the Flitch Way from the aptly-named Start Hill.

THC

Kite159

Veteran Member
My pleasure. Let us know how you get on. Enjoy your walk.

THC

I'm keeping my eye on the weather forecast before making my final decision (which will probably come on Friday evening, as hopefully the forecast will be a bit more stable).

Howardh

Established Member
On Thursday I'm planning to walk the canal between Mossley and Greenfield, wondering if I carried on how close could I get to the rail and canal tunnel openings? Might be a few canalside pubs in the way first though!

On Thursday I'm planning to walk the canal between Mossley and Greenfield, wondering if I carried on how close could I get to the rail and canal tunnel openings? Might be a few canalside pubs in the way first though!

It'd take about 45 mins - 50 mins to walk from Greenfield (where the canal passes under the main Chew Valley Road) to the Standedge Tunnels in Diggle.

The canal tunnel opening is 'accessible' by virtue that the towpath passes the mouth of the tunnel and there's a huge visitor information board too with images and history.

The train tunnels are about 1-2 minutes walk beyond the canal tunnel and can be viewed from the Station Road Bridge (all within the site of Diggle Station) but I don't think you can get much further without risking a bit of trespass. In terms of pubs, there is as you say a good few to choose from - a pick of the few is the 'Navigation' in Dobcross, the canal lending it it's name, and the 'Diggle Hotel', which you'll see from the Station Road bridge in Diggle.

It's a lovely walk although can get very busy especially through Uppermill which is a local touristy hotspot.

Howardh

Established Member
It'd take about 45 mins - 50 mins to walk from Greenfield (where the canal passes under the main Chew Valley Road) to the Standedge Tunnels in Diggle.

The canal tunnel opening is 'accessible' by virtue that the towpath passes the mouth of the tunnel and there's a huge visitor information board too with images and history.

The train tunnels are about 1-2 minutes walk beyond the canal tunnel and can be viewed from the Station Road Bridge (all within the site of Diggle Station) but I don't think you can get much further without risking a bit of trespass. In terms of pubs, there is as you say a good few to choose from - a pick of the few is the 'Navigation' in Dobcross, the canal lending it it's name, and the 'Diggle Hotel', which you'll see from the Station Road bridge in Diggle.

It's a lovely walk although can get very busy especially through Uppermill which is a local touristy hotspot.
Thanks, I'll be taking my camera. Reading an os map I can see a disused tunnel, looks like ex-rail, between Mossley and Greenfield and goes towards Oldham. Whether or not I reach the canal tunnel depends on how hospitable the pubs are!! Sounds like a scorcher so canalside garden in the shade!

Thanks, I'll be taking my camera. Reading an os map I can see a disused tunnel, looks like ex-rail, between Mossley and Greenfield and goes towards Oldham. Whether or not I reach the canal tunnel depends on how hospitable the pubs are!! Sounds like a scorcher so canalside garden in the shade!
Yes that's "Lydgate Tunnel" which runs from Grasscroft to Grotton on the former "Delph Donkey" line, it's boarded up at both ends though.

D6130

Established Member
Is it possible to walk along any sections of the former Micklehurst Loop on the East side of the valley between Stalybridge and Diggle?

Cletus

Established Member
Youtuber "Trekking Exploration" has walked the line.

Here's the first of his videos if that's of any help?

Iskra

Established Member
There is a fantastic ice cream/breakfast/coffee/cake place on the canal at Diggle not too far from the tunn entrance called Grandpa Greens, which is well worth a visit and in a beautiful setting when the weather is nice.

Attachments

• 7204856F-D874-4E63-8C2F-39FCB4D41BEB.jpeg
    7204856F-D874-4E63-8C2F-39FCB4D41BEB.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 9C627A50-1336-4132-865A-7624AE4CE4EC.jpeg
    9C627A50-1336-4132-865A-7624AE4CE4EC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 6DBED260-8224-476C-93D2-3EE200E15D8E.jpeg
    6DBED260-8224-476C-93D2-3EE200E15D8E.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 6

Howardh

Established Member
I think I now have a new favourite railway pub....

Attachments

• P1030895.JPG
    P1030895.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 19

Howardh

Established Member
Looks nice! Is that the Railway at Greenfield?
Certainly is. Plenty of live music too. One worry is if the last train (TPE) is cancelled which is around 2245, no bus alternative.

Howardh

Established Member
Is there a connection via Huddersfield?
You mean Greenfield > Huddersfield then back to Manchester? Doubt it, but may be able to bus to Stalybridge and perhaps get a late train from there. But a depressing situation when you can't rely on a train home so can't support railside pubs and businesses. IMO the last train should be sacred, even if managers in the offices have to drive it.

I have done a little research and there is a bus leaves just after the last train, 2250 (84) which would get me to Piccadilly Gardens in time for the last No 8 to Bolton.

Last edited:

THC

Newark North Gate to Nottingham. 28 miles along the Trent Valley Way, mostly by the river but with occasional forays into neighbouring villages - and a last mile beside a city centre canal. The heatwave yesterday meant splitting the walk in two was the sensible option and I paid for it in the rain today.

THC

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220618-143253.png
    Screenshot_20220618-143253.png
    926.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20220617-174155.png
    Screenshot_20220617-174155.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Kite159

Veteran Member
I changed my mind yesterday and based on the forecast of rain in the afternoon instead of the Flitch Way I had an enjoyable walk along the bank of the River Crouch between North Fambridge & Burnham, a bit narrow in places (especially around Creeksea). Very scenic and only really got busy nearer to Burnham.

Today I carried on with my Thames Path walking doing the section from Bray (Maidenhead area) to Windsor, doing some bits of the Jubilee River & Dorney before the Thames Path (although that section was very woody), then afterwards followed a path which runs alongside the railway line towards Slough. Ended up doing just over 16 miles, Windsor was (as expected) very busy with tourists.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Done eight sections of the London Loop so far (22-24, 1-5) and am planning 6+7 for early July. All pretty accessible by public transport and some great views.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Did a local area walk today (breaking 20 miles), but when using one footpath got called "oi you F C, you are trespassing, must have jumped over a fence" (used a stile following the footpath from further afield). Very threatening behaviour from that gentleman who wouldn't even listen when I was explaining I was following a footpath, nor would care to look at the map I was carrying showing it as a right of way. In the end I just walked away from him (best way as who knew if he was carrying anything which could have been used as a weapon)

I got the impression they didn't want to admit to the existence of the footpath crossing over the land (it was a member of staff, no idea if he was the owner) (it was interesting that signage just disappeared after the stile into that area, reappearing as I crossed over a stile to exit). Certainly put a damper on the walk.

(F C - swear words)

John Webb

Established Member
Did a local area walk today (breaking 20 miles), but when using one footpath got called "oi you F C, you are trespassing, must have jumped over a fence" (used a stile following the footpath from further afield). Very threatening behaviour from that gentleman who wouldn't even listen when I was explaining I was following a footpath, nor would care to look at the map I was carrying showing it as a right of way. In the end I just walked away from him (best way as who knew if he was carrying anything which could have been used as a weapon)

I got the impression they didn't want to admit to the existence of the footpath crossing over the land (it was a member of staff, no idea if he was the owner) (it was interesting that signage just disappeared after the stile into that area, reappearing as I crossed over a stile to exit). Certainly put a damper on the walk.

(F C - swear words)
Might be worth a mention to the local County Rights of Way officer, perhaps? If anyone calls out in an objectionable manner I assume they are addressing someone else and completely ignore them. (Even if I know I'm the one they are trying to address because there's no-one else around!)

johnnychips

Established Member
Might be worth a mention to the local County Rights of Way officer, perhaps? If anyone calls out in an objectionable manner I assume they are addressing someone else and completely ignore them. (Even if I know I'm the one they are trying to address because there's no-one else around!)
Yes I think it would.

High Dyke

Established Member
Probably better in the discussion about walks with public transport, but did a section of the Angles Way today. The wife and I walked from Somerleyton to Oulton Broad (5 miles), and returned by train.