• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waverley Steam Trains York via Settle to Carlisle: Why the 'Waverley' name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good afternoon, I was just wondering why the series of Summer Steam Charter trains from York via Settle to Carlisle, operated by Railway Touring Company, which they call the Waverley are called "The Waverley". To me, the Waverley is the route that used to run from Carlisle to Edinburgh and is now partly reopened again.

Does anyone know how these trains have been performing over the past few weeks. by the way?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Worf

The Waverley (express) ran from St Pancras to Edinburgh Waverley via the old Midland route, including the S&C and the "waverley route". I think it finished about 1968.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Good afternoon, I was just wondering why the series of Summer Steam Charter trains from York via Settle to Carlisle, operated by Railway Touring Company, which they call the Waverley are called "The Waverley". To me, the Waverley is the route that used to run from Carlisle to Edinburgh and is now partly reopened again.

Probably the same reason that national newspaper/TV journalists these days call any rail passengers "commuters" - a general degradation of language. If some journo or PR graduate of 21 sees a special train called "The Waverley" - he or she thinks its a generic name for all specials, and there is no seasoned editor in place to question it, let alone correct it. No joke!
The evidence is easy enough to find: few folks, even in the UK, seem to know the difference between "alternative" and "alternate" these days, and mix them up on a regular basis. There's a thread around on here just now which talks about "pre-existing" railway infrastructure. (What is the difference between 'existing' and 'pre-existing' please?)

And don't get me talking about that abortion of an Americanism "back to back" - a diablolical expression which I first heard on a US radio station only in 1990.

signed, very grumpy and disgusted IronDuke of Dorking, etc etc

blackfive460

The Waverley (express) ran from St Pancras to Edinburgh Waverley via the old Midland route, including the S&C and the "waverley route". I think it finished about 1968.

And in BR days was often A3 hauled from Leeds to Carlisle then over the Waverley route to Edinburgh..

JohnR

The question is probably best aimed at the company which organised the rail tours, but many of them revive names used on Britains railways in the past - trying to capture some nostalgia, I suppose.

As has been pointed out, there was a named train called the Waverley which ran from St. Pancrast via the Settle-Carlisle and Edinburgh, which used that name because it went via the Waverley route. Indeed, all through trains to Scotland via the S&C used the Waverley.

signallerscot

As has been pointed out, there was a named train called the Waverley which ran from St. Pancrast via the Settle-Carlisle and Edinburgh, which used that name because it went via the Waverley route. Indeed, all through trains to Scotland via the S&C used the Waverley.

Apart from all the ones that went to St Enoch via the G&SW that is...

Status
Not open for further replies.