• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waverley To Edinburgh Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

Next year I will catching a flight from Edinburgh Airport. I will be arriving at Waverley from Newark Northgate What do fellow forum members recommend is the best way to travel between Edinburgh city entre and the Airport

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Next year I will catching a flight from Edinburgh Airport. I will be arriving at Waverley from Newark Northgate What do fellow forum members recommend is the best way to travel between Edinburgh city entre and the Airport
The Airlink 100 bus.

route101

Established Member
Not much in it timewise between Bus and Tram. Out of interest what brings you from Newark, to fly out of Edinburgh?

theironroad

Established Member
I understand that the bus no longer serves Waverley so, to save a walk, perhaps continue by rail to Haymarket then take bus or tram.

Oh, that seems odd. Maybe it's just a covid thing due to the lack of overseas tourists which mean it's not worth running.

The couple of times I did tram throughout it seemed very slow. I think it's possible to a train/tram combination but then the bus was just as quick and easy.

Established Member
I understand that the bus no longer serves Waverley so, to save a walk, perhaps continue by rail to Haymarket then take bus or tram.
It's literally across the other side of Princes St. The Bus is about half the cost of the tram and quicker in my experience.

route101

Established Member
Oh, that seems odd. Maybe it's just a covid thing due to the lack of overseas tourists which mean it's not worth running.

The couple of times I did tram throughout it seemed very slow. I think it's possible to a train/tram combination but then the bus was just as quick and easy.

Waverley Bridge has been blocked off to cars, buses etc. Its not a far walk to the 100 bus stop opposite Jenners.

theironroad

Established Member
Waverley Bridge has been blocked off to cars, buses etc. Its not a far walk to the 100 bus stop opposite Jenners.

So I just discovered, seems it's part of the council's "Spaces for People " project.

As you say, not far of a walk and probably not much longer than the bridge overall.

pitdiver

Not much in it timewise between Bus and Tram. Out of interest what brings you from Newark, to fly out of Edinburgh?
Originally we were going to fly from East Midlands to Glasgow then on to Kirkwall. However Loganair in their infinite wisdom decided not to fly out of EMA. So I looked at alternatives'
As it is relatively easy for us to get to Newark then on to Edinburgh and Loganair do fly from Edinburgh to Kirkwall that seemed the best option. If anybody has any other suggestion I am open to them.
We will be living near Mansfield when it's time to fly

I forgot to add the last time we went to Kirkwall we were living in Bedfordshire so flew Luton-Aberdeen then Aberdeen- Kirkwall

Last edited:

scotrail158713

Established Member
Definitely bus IMO. It’s faster and a good couple of pounds cheaper - £4.50 single or £7.50 return, against £6.50 single or £9 return on the tram.

T-Karmel

You could take a train onwards from Edinburgh Waverley to Edinburgh Gateway and change to the tram over there. It seems to be very easy to change on Google Maps.

And as far as I'm aware you can buy a train ticket from Waverley to the airport which will include the tram ride.

eoff

Depends if you like walking.

Personally at anything other than late evening I would get a ticket valid for Haymarket and get the Airlink 100 from there now that the airlink stop is not so close, the airlink and tram have stops at Haymarket.
As noted by others you can get the Airlink and the tram from pretty close by (5mins uphill from waverley) although most of the time the tram takes longer.

route101

Established Member
Definitely bus IMO. It’s faster and a good couple of pounds cheaper - £4.50 single or £7.50 return, against £6.50 single or £9 return on the tram.

Fair bit cheaper than the Glasgow Airport bus. I believe ten years ago the prices were both the same.

eoff

You could take a train onwards from Edinburgh Waverley to Edinburgh Gateway and change to the tram over there. It seems to be very easy to change on Google Maps.

And as far as I'm aware you can buy a train ticket from Waverley to the airport which will include the tram ride.

Gateway is an option but I have found the connections rarely work out and perhaps that won't be the same price as extending a ticket to Haymarket.

I have many times had to toss up the various options between the airport and the North Berwick line with all the options of tram, bus and the connections at Haymarket, Edinburgh Gateway and Edinburgh Park, all of these have tram connections. I have even been in arrivals trying to work out which one to take, mostly the Airlink 100 wins but for me the choices have no cost implications.
If you are interested in trams and want to experience how slowly they can traverse parts of a field then the tram option is for you.

Last edited:

pitdiver

As an off the wall suggestion how about Newark York Aberdeen and ferry to Kirkwall? Must be quite an experience.
I did think about that but remembered we have a voucher from Loganair because of a cancelled flight this year. Before anybody comments I chose to have the voucher

pitdiver

When we up last year we were still living in Bedfordshire so as an alternative to flying I looked at going by train and ferry. Sleeper to Inverness, train to Thurso then ferry from Scrabster to Stromness. However the journey time was about 23 hrs so ruled that out. So flying it was which turned out very well.

driver9000

Established Member

The 100 now starts from South Saint David Street. No more than a 5 minute stroll from Waverley.

Established Member
As an off the wall suggestion how about Newark York Aberdeen and ferry to Kirkwall? Must be quite an experience.
It is an experience, I don't necessarily mean that in a good way, and only available two days per week. You leave Aberdeen at 5pm and arrive at the remote Kirkwall Hatson Pier at 11pm. Then what?

It can be a great trip in midsummer. Or a totally grim and slow way to reach Orkney in the dark at just about any other time of year.

Back on topic, I would get the Airport Bus from the stop closest to Waverley. It's cheaper, quicker, way more comfortable, and no more of a walk than going to the St Andrew Square tram stop.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is the fare structure on the Edinburgh tram system still such that the fare from the last but one stop (Ingliston) to the Airport itself is somewhat expensive?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Is the fare structure on the Edinburgh tram system still such that the fare from the last but one stop (Ingliston) to the Airport itself is somewhat expensive?
Yup, £9.00 from Ingliston to the Airport (City zone to Airport, one stop), £3.40 (City Zone only, many more stops and far greater distance)

Speed43125

I've known people who advocate parking at Ingliston and then walking to and back from the airport if picking someone up as it's not too far and usually free.

scotrail158713

Established Member
I've known people who advocate parking at Ingliston and then walking to and back from the airport if picking someone up as it's not too far and usually free.
Definitely a reasonable option. It’s a bit of a walk but saves you a small fortune.

T-Karmel

Yup, £9.00 from Ingliston to the Airport (City zone to Airport, one stop), £3.40 (City Zone only, many more stops and far greater distance)

That's return prices. One ways are £6,50 and £1,80.

It takes good 20 mins from the tram stop to walk it along the busy road, so it isn't very pleasant. Obviously more difficult with luggage and if it's raining, what is what I've done myself in December cause it started raining during the tram ride and I didn't want to change my mind on how to travel to the airport when I was already on the way :lol:

MDB1images

Haymarket is advertised as the connection for the Airport for WCML trains as it's a much easier interchange than Edinburgh, I'd still use that if arriving via the ECML especially if travelling with luggage.
Get the 100 Bus or Tram which depart from right outside the front of the Haymarket station entrance and are clearly sign posted.

If opting for Edinburgh you can get the 100 bus but it's a 5-10 min walk slightly up hill to it's new departure stance(depends how fast you walk/what platform you arrive on), if not great on your feet you can get lifts up from the Station to Princess St near the Waverley steps exit which gets rid of the slightly up hill bits.
If going by Tram the stop is a bit further down Princess St(Bus stop is nearer).

If they re-open Waverley Bridge to Buses before then(no-one knows what chaos moving all the Tourist/Airport Buses from Waverley Bridge may cause once things return to normal) that would make it nearer(just a walk up the ramps).

Status
Not open for further replies.