• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WAVF Psychometric Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_1892

Good Afternoon,

I was just looking for some advice as I have been put through for a psychometrics test in January having previously taken one in July for another TOC. I have cleared it with the TOC I am applying for as I passed all of the tests apart from the WAVF vigilance test with the OPC in July. I re-read some of the forums after and I know straight away where I fell short, especially when I thought the grey box was flashing black continuously for a short while.

As this is my last shot (and only the WAVF and MMI to go) I was just looking to see if anyone had any advice/hints/tips as to how they practiced for this test? The MMI I have practiced in great detail to go in and give good competency based answers but the last WAVF has given me a kicking and made me more nervous than ever this time around.

Many Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Plm87

I did the exact same thing in September, was convinced it was flashing black for quite some time! I have no advice other than to say good luck for January and I'll be following your post to see what people recommend

Chris_1892

I did the exact same thing in September, was convinced it was flashing black for quite some time! I have no advice other than to say good luck for January and I'll be following your post to see what people recommend
Yeah, It completely threw me off I could have sworn it was - tried re-focusing my eyes and everything but looked a lot darker than when it started flashing grey. I have bought a practice download from How2Become which does give a good resemblance to the actual test - I was devastated on the day and I still am about it now but want to make sure I get it on the day!

Owen2323

I've heard people say their brain starts to play tricks on them on this test and there must be a technique on how to maintain concentration on it. Maybe look away briefly after it's just gone black and focus on something else for a second (but then you run the risk of missing it changing back to black again)

I'm sure an optician or opthalmist could shed some light on the issue haha (not many on here though I bet)

Comfy

If you're not sure if its black then it probably isn't. There were times when I thought it went black but when it really does change then there is no doubt that its gone black.if that makes sense...
Also if someone else starts their test just before you you may get a little prompt from them of when your square is going to change.

4F89

Start a few seconds after another person and listen for their clicks....

/obviously not....

Just gotta concentrate dude.

Driver2B

The only advice I can give, is when you lose focus, move your eyes further away from the screen or closer to the screen. I found this helped me quickly regain focus.

Good luck!

387star

On Moderation
Good Afternoon,

I was just looking for some advice as I have been put through for a psychometrics test in January having previously taken one in July for another TOC. I have cleared it with the TOC I am applying for as I passed all of the tests apart from the WAVF vigilance test with the OPC in July. I re-read some of the forums after and I know straight away where I fell short, especially when I thought the grey box was flashing black continuously for a short while.

As this is my last shot (and only the WAVF and MMI to go) I was just looking to see if anyone had any advice/hints/tips as to how they practiced for this test? The MMI I have practiced in great detail to go in and give good competency based answers but the last WAVF has given me a kicking and made me more nervous than ever this time around.

Many Thanks!
I got caught out too
Passed but not good enough for depot driving at C2C... I'm now a mainline driver lol

Inthe4foot

I was told to Pretend it’s loads of little tests and to reset after I’ve pressed it, as it doesn’t flash up twice in quick succession - wait for it to change then look away for a split second, or move closer or further away only slightly and say ready each time. So like a reset and go after each press.

when my test came I did the above but not every time, every 3 or 4 presses. I managed To pass and now on a drivers course.
it may not suit You as everyone is different but worked for me.

good look :)

Dragon Breath

This is one of the ones I was least nervous about and I managed to pass this one with a perfect score.

My advice would be to block out all other clicks and just concentrate on your own test. I found that keeping my body rigid and focused worked for me, every few minutes I changed my posture a bit.

It’s clear when it changes in my opinion. I found I focused better when counting how many seconds were in between each one - not to see if there were any common gaps, just to increase my concentration and it helped the 30 minutes go by a little quicker

4F89

This is one of the ones I was least nervous about and I managed to pass this one with a perfect score.

My advice would be to block out all other clicks and just concentrate on your own test. I found that keeping my body rigid and focused worked for me, every few minutes I changed my posture a bit.

It’s clear when it changes in my opinion. I found I focused better when counting how many seconds were in between each one - not to see if there were any common gaps, just to increase my concentration and it helped the 30 minutes go by a little quicker
How do you know it was a perfect score? They never release the exact score....

I completed all 43 dials, but did I get them all right? No idea. Nobody knows.

Coach Carter

Start a few seconds after another person and listen for their clicks....

/obviously not....

Just gotta concentrate dude.
Unless the guy ahead of you is clicking the button like a man possessed lol. I was thinking what the hell is he watching on his screen. The guy just after me got an easy ride though.

Dragon Breath

How do you know it was a perfect score? They never release the exact score....

I completed all 43 dials, but did I get them all right? No idea. Nobody knows.

Sorry, re-read my post and must excuse the way it comes across! I was surprised to be told that to be honest. When I went in for my MMI, the interviewer told me I had not missed a dark grey flash. I’m not sure they were supposed to reveal that or not but it was nice to hear.

387star

On Moderation
yeah when you see the dark grey you know. I guess it looks like it goes darker when it doesn't and when it does it is obvious it wasn't. I stopped clicking when I thought something must be wrong as I was clicking too many times and then I saw it go dark for real

4F89

Sorry, re-read my post and must excuse the way it comes across! I was surprised to be told that to be honest. When I went in for my MMI, the interviewer told me I had not missed a dark grey flash. I’m not sure they were supposed to reveal that or not but it was nice to hear.
Considering it was the MMI, it could have been tactic to throw you off guard.

Dave19801980

Slowly move your head backwards and forwards so your eyes are constantly re-focusing. And as soon as you have acknowledged a colour change do a long blink to refresh your eyes.

I have been told it is literally just two colours. Grey and black. Hit it quickly when it goes black and youll be fine :) They are looking for accuracy more than anything :)

387star

On Moderation
I have been told it is literally just two colours. Grey and black. Hit it quickly when it goes black and youll be fine :) They are looking for accuracy more than anything :)
Thing is they never say black during instructions just dark grey

MistaMatthews

I tried to make sure I blinked systematically. I would also advise not to hover your hand too closely over the button. A couple of times, my hand had a bit of a spasm and pressed when I shouldn't.

RPOMan

I suffered from impromptu pressing a few times myself! I managed to pass the day and am now waiting for a DMI date! I found that adjusting my sitting position and blinking regularly helped me out a lot. It is a hard test, that's for sure.
I tried to make sure I blinked systematically. I would also advise not to hover your hand too closely over the button. A couple of times, my hand had a bit of a spasm and pressed when I shouldn't.

dabollicks

I found myself rocking back and forth in the chair during this test. Certainly helped me to keep focused, although probably looked ridiculous

Kay_M

Hello all

For this test do we only look out for the darker colours or the grey ones too?

Many thanks

SVDW995

Hello all

For this test do we only look out for the darker colours or the grey ones too?

Many thanks
It’s a dark grey square that is flashing on the screen. Only hit the button when it flashes black. Your eyes will play tricks on you, and during the practice, you could hit it when you don’t think it’s changed to understand the difference in the change in “brightness”. It is very obvious when it does change to black. It’s only ever that dark grey or black, but can look a darker grey, but that’s the rub, it’s eyes playing tricks.

I found counting in between the flash to black helped me concentrate, and made the 30 minutes disappear into nowhere. Good luck.

Kay_M

It’s a dark grey square that is flashing on the screen. Only hit the button when it flashes black. Your eyes will play tricks on you, and during the practice, you could hit it when you don’t think it’s changed to understand the difference in the change in “brightness”. It is very obvious when it does change to black. It’s only ever that dark grey or black, but can look a darker grey, but that’s the rub, it’s eyes playing tricks.

I found counting in between the flash to black helped me concentrate, and made the 30 minutes disappear into nowhere. Good luck.
Oh alright. Thank you for that. I remembered doing a practice run a while back and I kept seeing grey flashing on the screen thinking it was black but I will try this approach and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.