• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather disruption Friday 26 November onwards - Storm Arwen

Status
Not open for further replies.

High Dyke

Established Member
Well to be fair in a coach you can swerve to avoid a fallen tree. ;)
Not always, having seen the damage a falling tree can do at close hand.

I'm travelling to Scarborough tomorrow, but going by road, as the engineering work on the ECML tomorrow would mean replacement road transport to/from Doncaster.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Looks like my day trip to Whitby's up the spout then !

B****y weather !

bramling

Veteran Member
Looks like my day trip to Whitby's up the spout then !

B****y weather !

Been the story of this whole year.

I had some tentative plans for some urban exploring this weekend, knocked on the head. Tomorrow looks like a few hours playing on Simsig is going to be the most I can get out of the day!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Been the story of this whole year.

I had some tentative plans for some urban exploring this weekend, knocked on the head. Tomorrow looks like a few hours playing on Simsig is going to be the most I can get out of the day!

Currently sat by the fire in a pub in Edale. Things couldn't look calmer at the moment !

Kite159

Veteran Member
I assume there will be blanket speed restrictions on parts of the network introduced tomorrow due to the wind?

EveningStar

The A696/A68 route will likely remain useable. Granted it’s not of any use for any of the intermediate stops between Newcastle and Edinburgh, but it would at least keep some passengers moving.
Drove up the A697 about an hour ago and it was becoming less than comfortable.

The red warning was put into effect around late morning, a lot of people may have already set off on their journeys and wouldn't have a chance to see.
Still effective. Was able to rearrange my afternoon, letting day release students, some of whom travel quite a distance, away earlier than normal.

Last edited:

greyman42

Established Member
Got some relatives on a XC to Edinburgh that's terminating at Newcastle now. Does anyone know if the replacement buses don't run will XC put people up in hotels?
There will be very few hotel rooms available in Newcastle on a Friday/Saturday night.

Established Member
Drove up the A696 about an hour ago and it was becoming less than comfortable.

With the combination of the wind and snow forecast on the hills I wouldn't recommend sending a bus up that way tonight.

bramling

Veteran Member
There will be very few hotel rooms available in Newcastle on a Friday/Saturday night.

Can pick up a Premier Inn room quite easily, currently rooms available for £50-60 at Newcastle Airport, South Shields, North Shields or Whitley Bay. All within a few minutes walk of a Metro station, which currently is running with minor disruption.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Avanti/TPE appear to be running fairly normally from Edinburgh so far, but I see the southbound Lowland Sleeper has been cancelled.

Caleb2010

Avanti/TPE appear to be running fairly normally from Edinburgh so far, but I see the southbound Lowland Sleeper has been cancelled.
Only from Glasgow! Still running from Edinburgh. According to the CS website everything else Is running (at the moment!)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
ScotRail have advised on their website that Inverness to Aberdeen, Kyle and Far North services are cancelled. There's no bus alternative after 7pm either as Stagecoach have curtailed their services from Aberdeen too.

It's very wild here, and I certainly don't envy anyone who is outside this evening.

greyman42

Established Member
Can pick up a Premier Inn room quite easily, currently rooms available for £50-60 at Newcastle Airport, South Shields, North Shields or Whitley Bay. All within a few minutes walk of a Metro station, which currently is running with minor disruption.
OK. I was thinking more city centre.

jkkne

Tempting fate but I’m at home in Alnwick and it’s mildly blustery and a light dusting of snow. Nothing unusual at all for a winter in Northumberland. Few trees down in exposed areas but that happens in July up here

Clansman

Established Member
It's horrible.

Currently on the 15.38 Aberdeen to Queen Street. Cancelled at Montrose after 2 hours getting there with speed restrictions and headed back to Aberdeen non stop with passengers.

Now stranded just south of Stonehaven due to falling trees!

Some night.

21C101

Established Member
Is this the first instance of a precautionary cancelling of services on a main line due to a wind warning?

Don't remember long stretches of major roads like the A1 (or major roads other than bridges for that matter) being closed as a precautionary measure for wind either. I imagine the byways and lanes will be busier than usual?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Is this the first instance of a precautionary cancelling of services on a main line due to a wind warning?

Don't remember long stretches of major roads like the A1 (or major roads other than bridges for that matter) being closed as a precautionary measure for wind either. I imagine the byways and lanes will be busier than usual?

Yes, I've only heard of the suspension bridges being closed before.

Yes, I've only heard of the suspension bridges being closed before.
According to Dee Radio, the Flintshire Bridge (A548) has been closed all day due to the forecast high winds.

Incidentally, those winds aren't just forecast now - they've arrived!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
According to Dee Radio, the Flintshire Bridge (A548) has been closed all day due to the forecast high winds.

Incidentally, those winds aren't just forecast now - they've arrived!

That's a fair point. If you're going to be blown over, better not to be blown into the drink !

Status
Not open for further replies.