• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird electronic woman at Leeds station

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
This morning there was a very unconvincing white plastic cut out of a woman propped up just beyond the barriers at Leeds station. Onto this plastic was being projected by some means the image of a woman. 'She' was helpfully suggesting that passengers did not take suitcases onto the escalators. Acoss the bridge, as I descended wearily from the bridge to platform 13 to catch the 07:56 pacer to Huddersfield, there was another one at the foot of the stairs. As I got to the bottom she waved at me. Didn't say 'Hello' or advise me on some Health & Safety matter I may have overlooked, just waved.

What on earth is all this? I'm not sure what the intention here is, but I found this neither helpful, cheering or funny (not even slightly saucy come to that), just deeply weird. A bit like Bladerunner in a railway station. It's one thing being given insincere 'sincere apologies' by faltering automatic voices when the service has up the wall again, but quite another having unconvincing pretend women beamed into our midst. I had always thought that the only pretend woman anyone needs comes with its own pump.

Is this just a gimmicky waste of money or the start of the robotisation of the railway?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This morning there was a very unconvincing white plastic cut out of a woman propped up just beyond the barriers at Leeds station. Onto this plastic was being projected by some means the image of a woman. 'She' was helpfully suggesting that passengers did not take suitcases onto the escalators. Acoss the bridge, as I descended wearily from the bridge to platform 13 to catch the 07:56 pacer to Huddersfield, there was another one at the foot of the stairs. As I got to the bottom she waved at me. Didn't say 'Hello' or advise me on some Health & Safety matter I may have overlooked, just waved.

What on earth is all this? I'm not sure what the intention here is, but I found this neither helpful, cheering or funny (not even slightly saucy come to that), just deeply weird. A bit like Bladerunner in a railway station. It's one thing being given insincere 'sincere apologies' by faltering automatic voices when the service has up the wall again, but quite another having unconvincing pretend women beamed into our midst. I had always thought that the only pretend woman anyone needs comes with its own pump.

Is this just a gimmicky waste of money or the start of the robotisation of the railway?

Well, it might be the Leeds equivalent of the Kings Cross hologram:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=91061

In which case all your possible questions are probably already covered...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As there is already a thread on this, as pointed out by a few others above, I've locked this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.