• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird train-related dreams

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had one last night, I was on a train trip across Sweden in one day, taking 7 hours??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

70014IronDuke

Established Member
What's weird about that?

Anyway, aren't all dreams weird? If you had a very straightforward dream, with everything progressing as you'd expect - that would be REALLY weird. :)

Had one earlier before I woke up this morning, when I saw a single-car Class 144 with Class 58-styled cab on one end. It had a non-cab rear with a small window.
Also in a dream that you can go to Barrow-in-Furness through Campbeltown - I was in a fictional town in between!

lxfe_mxtterz

A few nights ago, I had a somewhat strange, albeit slightly terrifying, railway-related dream.

My recollection of the events in the dream isn't great, but I'll try and coherently describe what I remember in sufficient detail.

Anyway, here we go:

I found myself in an unidentified town (or even a district of a larger city). For some reason, it felt like a version of Salford but in Southern Manchester - more towards the Deansgate way. I had no idea how I got here, I just "appeared". Furthermore, I cannot recall the appearance of the town itself, just the journey to, and the station itself.

I do recall using the town's railway station many times over - possibly for commuting purposes? Many of these experiences were set in torrential rain and during the night time.

I'm quite surprised at how I managed to architecturally design a railway station in a dream - though this may just be inspired by a previous structure I cannot recall whilst conscious.

The station itself was set aside from a large car park. The entrance to the station was located in the centre of the car park, on a pedestrian island - a green metal ramp enclosed by tall metal barriers on the sides and above led up to a footbridge linking to the platforms. The entrance to this ramp was unprotected, i.e. with no ticket gates or any form of security. Underneath the ramp was a long line of those arched metal bike storage things.

I vaguely remember the station being called "Bretminster" which coincidentally happens to be one of the fictional stations I conjured up whilst creating my "Fantasy Railway World" project a while back.

Anyway, for once it wasn't raining - in fact it was sunny and mid afternoon, and I was (again) making my way to the railway station. The journey to this station consisted of a short trek through a housing estate, which I don't recall looking "rough" however it gave off bad vibes.

This part is important, as it involves me making a choice. There was the option to take the more straightforward option of carrying along one road to the station, or the quicker option of taking a detour around a few smaller roads. I chose the straightforward option.

I remember walking through an alleyway between two houses at the end of the straight road, and coming out the other end, I noticed a gang of "Italian mafia" (I have no idea why I thought they were Italian mafia!) They were wielding an assortment of firearms.

After noticing this, and becoming noticeably uneasy, I turned around and walked back through the alleyway, turning right along the main road, only to be greeted by this gang.

Trying to keep this as non-graphic as possible, I was shot multiple times which eventually led to my death.

In conclusion, a bad decision ultimately led to my demise. Perhaps this dream is trying to inform me of something? Who knows, although not strictly a train dream, perhaps the railway station played a part in this potential message? :|

Manclion

Had one last night,
Stuck behind a barrier getting more and more anxious as departure time approached.
Then making a run for the train (pair of green class 303's!!) just making it with seconds to spare.
Then I woke up.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I once had a dream I owned an Open Access operator-which was basically a clone of Grand Central, and I was standing at the gateline at Kings Cross infront of my fantastic new futuristic 125 type trains. I remember the routes they ran were a work of genius, but unfortuantley I forgot the service pattern when I woke up. That was about 11 years ago and I still can't remember for the life of me what my stroke of genius entailed.

Used to have dreams from when I was little to about the end of my teen years about enormous London Underground stations that seemed to gain more platforms as you walked through them. At first I found them disconcerting then as I got older grew to find them fascinating.

Calthrop

Established Member
I seem to get a railway-flavoured dream on a historical theme, maybe two or three times a year. Had one a few nights ago, in which I was in German-occupied France in World War II. Setting was a large SNCF motive power depot, home to -- among other types -- a number of class 141P compound 2-8-2s. Initially I was at the shed, working for the Gestapo (not clear whether I was German, or a French auxiliary): poring over statistical charts, and documents from speed recorders installed in locomotives, in connection with French loco crews' suspected deliberately bad performance in order to hinder the war effort. Then, hey presto, I was a British prisoner-of-war, assigned to general lowly duties around the shed: I being a railway enthusiast, I was having quite a pleasant time doing this stuff. A high-ranking German officer -- a nice enough chap, as such people went -- who was also a railfan, was quietly slipping cash to me so that I'd take particular care of a small shunting tank loco allocated to the shed: he planned to try and buy this machine off SNCF, as a private preservation project. More of all this would have been interesting; but waking-up intervened.

Tracked

Established Member
I'm doing some sort of Top Gear style challenge; there's two groups of three people heading into Sheffield, two by car and one by train, the objective is to meet up and make dinner (seriously!).

I'm driving into the North end of Sheffield though the road I'm on is above the railway line. I arrive and park at the end of platform 1B, there's someone I know on a pacer there so I get on to speak to them. This pacer has been modified, I know it has two engines and they're in compartments under the fold up seats where the wheelchair/pushchair/cycle spaces are on normal pacers. The person I know has the seat up and is trying to repair one of the engines, though I know it can operate fine on the other one.

I've gotten distracted talking to them, and the train pulls out of the station, fortunately the next stop is Darnall. I get off there, the station is exactly the same as it is now, except it's two dozen floors up the skyscrapers that now surround it. Instead of waiting for the train back I come out of the station and there's the other driver from my team, we drive to a multi-story car park, on level 8 there's the 3rd team member and some assistants, making cheese sandwiches on the floor of the car park.

I wake up at that point ...

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I went to buy a class 24 which I thought was going to cost me either £20 or £40. I was going to fill it with diesel but instead only put £50 worth in.
When I went to pay for it all, the 24 was more like a road-going coach with class 52 Western windows at the ends and the guy taking the money was inside serving at a hatch, a bit like an ice cream van.
He said it wasn't for sale but I could rent it for £200 a year. I decided not to go for it after all, and then thought I should go and get my money back for the diesel.
End of dream.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had a couple recently. One was I was on a commuter train from Perth-Western Australia, operating part of the Indian Pacific Route to Melbourne Australia, in 3 hours,!! Then when we arrived at Melbourne the train seemed to take off and carry on through the city towards a river and park. (A bit like the overhead railway in Wuppertal.) The other dream I had, was that I was at London Victoria and platforms 1-8, although in a different layout the the real station, were full of Wagons Lits Pullman Carriages all doing special excursion day trips, I think mainly diesel hauled. There were also some old style Southern Green Slam door commuter suburban trains there too.

Tracked

Established Member
I'd driven up to Aviemore and caught the train into Inverness, there was a big group of us sat on a hill over the town waiting to take pictures of the sun setting over the hills to the west of town. The sun went down quickly and all the lights in the town went out to, so after taking a couple of photo's of the dark hills we all walked back to the station, which now ran alongside the river.

Emergency lighting was on, and we accessed the station via climbing a metal ladder, to catch a train made up of air-con mk2's/mk3's. I went back to my hotel in Aviemore to drive home, but my drive home was actually a driving simulator on a big TV screen in my hotel. While I took a break someone replaced the big TV screen with a TV with a tiny tablet-sized screen (the body of the TV holding this screen was nearly as big as the original TV screen).

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had one last night, I was travelling around the rural south of Ireland in little sprinter / dmu type trains, these then morphed into local short haul flights, by a budget airline, which then turned into the old B & I Ferries!

Had one last night. There was a freight siding just behind my housing scheme, there was DB Class 66 and a TFL Class 345 EMU (although it is in Dumbarton in Scotland!).

Tracked

Established Member
I was at Meadowhall, there was something about trains only being able to run one way through the Holmes Chord, but this didn't affect me and I was soon in Conisbrough. I went to the entrance to the tunnel (possibly the old one there, as there were no tracks) and at a pool of water there I made a small fishing rod and caught a stickleback.

Then I walked in to Conisbrough and caught a train from a grassy bank at the side of a petrol station, the train was fairly old - all wooden panelling inside - and there were reserved tickets in a lot of the seats.

Something happened on the train, can't remember what, but I ended up finishing the journey on a bus. It took an odd route through my village and the village next to me, seemingly turning off before a few potential bus stops, but eventually stopped about 3 streets from where I live. As I got off the bus someone I used to work with barged past me off the bus (they didn't see me), they were carrying a large grey pre-moulded fish pond.

Jozhua

Established Member
I had a nightmare about having to catch a rail replacement bus, I was genuinely terrified :lol:

Tracked

Established Member
I was at work and got told all the train operators were going on strike, however my walk to the station now seemed to involve walking on a roadside path over some hills in the pennines (there was something else later about sailing boats at the side of a canal being blown over into the canal, can't quite remember what that was about)

Master29

Established Member
I often seem to have recurring dreams of not getting to catch long distance trains in time. I also have wacky dreams sometimes of familiar journeys e.g. London to Scotland or London to Cornwall ending up in bizarre locations. My last a few months back was a LNER HST to Stirling that ended up in Finland. I used to have dreams about class 305's on the Chingford line for a few years after I left London. That line was where my interest was first sparked.

Tracked

Established Member
Slightly train related;

I was working late, one of the managers offered me a lift to Meadowhall, I accepted as it would be quicker from Chesterfield at that time of the evening. Or it would've been if we hadn't ended up in Sheffield Cathedral, it was 19:30 and he was on the work laptop looking up some old document online (someone called ???? Kennedy Jnr, dates 1864 and 1898 mentioned, something about Loxley too). I was being reluctant to suggest I could walk to Sheffield station and catch the train as at that point the lift to Meadowhall would still work out quicker, despite going into Sheffield :s

175mph

On Moderation
Had another dream at the beginning of the week about hiding from the conductor on a pacer train and finding myself hiding in a large room leading off from another room instead of the toilet cubical.

I had one last night. I was exploring some sort of rainforest and I happened upon a railway track. As I was about to cross I saw a train approaching so I waited. It was a LU 1938 stock train in maroon livery, only two coaches like the ones on the Isle of Wight. It was moving incredibly slowly--no more than 5mph. I watched it pass and then proceed to navigate a series of comically sharp curves. I'm talking instant 90 and 180 degree turns. I watched it with mild amusement before continuing with my rainforest exploration.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I don't often have weird dreams but the closest I've had to dreaming about trains was being on a out of control freight train and finding out a deranged David Hasselhoff was driving!!!

CJ

As in I WAS the level crossing.
I really don’t know what was going on in my head when I was 4. :D

Don't worry. When I was 4 I used to pretend I was a steam locomotive. While fully conscious. And not like one from Thomas the Tank engine that talks I mean a real loco. I think a Black 5 specifically.

We all do weird things at that age.