• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird train-related dreams

Had one last night. I was at the station in the form of pre-2010 refurb Glasgow Subway station with a Class 385 waiting at the platform. I was walking at the opposite side of the station, where the subway line joins on to the platform which then becomes trackless (and then directs back to the tunnel).

The subway train arrives and as I went in, that train terminates. So I had to go to the third platform (an open air one) that looked in the form of Bridgeton station and had a closer look of another train.

The trains would have had wheels instead of axles as a result. Then dream ended.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Galvanize

One last night which was a bit odd...

I was arriving at London Fenchurch Street on a c2c Class 357, and on the other platform, I was aware of a Class 310 or 312 mk2 based EMU...but I realised it had been refurbished with Chapman seats and the Slam Doors had CDL. Wanted to sit in the motor car of course, but I recall it had too many people sat there (Social Distancing is now built into my Dreams!).

The only thing I can think of that made me dream of Fenchurch Street, yesterday a video surfaced on Facebook of NSE trialling Penalty Fares there in the early 1990s...

Tracked

Established Member
So, there I was walking an old railway line with some people, we were approaching Ravensthorpe - now in the Midlands - and I recognised it by the telltale viaduct. The viaduct took a sharp right hand over the town, its piers looking like tuning forks with their legs spread a bit further apart. There was a preserved railway which started in the shadow of the viaduct, but we walked on past that towards Dronfield. Dronfield station had a tiny 1970's silver-metal lift up to the platform, all but one of us used to get to the ticket office, which had a walkway around a hole in the centre of the first floor of the building where the stairs were ...

in a different - real-life - story, I stopped eating cheese on an evening :|

Chris217

My recent dream was getting back into train spotting after lockdown and doing a trip to London. So I boarded my Wrights VDL Gemini 79 bus to Lime Street,went into the station and everything was in BR blue & Grey livery on mk1s,mk2s and DMu's....but when I got to Euston it was all Pendo's,350s and 378s again?

Oh,my haulage was a blue 87 on mk2s!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve always tried to avoid this thread because I remember a comedian saying at some point that “there’s nothing more boring than someone telling you about some dream they’ve had.”
That said I’m going to inflict you with mine now...
I grew up in Topsham on the Exmouth branch and I’ve never been on that line behind a loco despite having a couple of opportunities to do it.
I keep having a recurring dream though (most recently last night) that due to a shortage of DMUs some of the services have been taken over by class 33s and mk1 coaches which I then drop everything to go and catch.
I usually wake up needing the toilet and regretting that it isn’t so.

Tracked

Established Member
The other night, there was probably more to it that I've forgotten;

I was heading south on a 4-track stretch of line, not sure where but it was all meant to be electrified - going round a curve I noticed that the wiring wasn't present on the two inner lines. My train slowed, going past a europhoenix-livered 91 that was straddling the two lines without overhead wires (and also not looking damaged, considering).

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Another weird train dream is as follows:

The now closed Guildford to Horsham and Horsham to Brighton via Henfield & Steyning has reopened, both electrified at 750 V DC. SWR runs services from Horsham to London Waterloo via Cranleigh using class 450s and 701s, and Southern runs services from London Victoria to Brighton via Horsham and Henfield, an extension of the real life Southern service from London Victoria to Horsham via Epsom and Dorking.
Also Cross Country now run a service from Brighton to Newcastle via the newly reopened lines using a pair of class 220s and 221s.

I was at Horsham station about to travel to Oxford, and suddenly saw a Cross Country Voyager coming into the station. It was 221129, doing the service from Brighton to Newcastle, and when I boarded the CrossCountry Voyager at Horsham, I was just so happy and thankful to finally have a direct train service from Horsham to Oxford without having to change at Gatwick Airport/Dorking and Reading!

Tracked

Established Member
I was in a little micro-pub (a tiny street corner thing, used to be a shop, now has a couple of benches up against the wall and a bar. Crucially, it also doesn't exist) in the village next to mine, I was talking to the person behind the bar when they interrupted to say a steam train was going to pass by shortly. It was the Flying Scotsman, and it was coming down the line from Leeds past us.

It passed by the village, not that far from us, and under the road bridge at the south end of the village (a bridge over a railway, long since torn up, and one that went in a different direction anyway) and I could see it clearly, including its number: 60009 (obviously not its number, it was the FS though, not the A4 with that number).

Logan Carroll

I had a dream when i was very little of a tiny SPT Carmine And Cream Train moving across the garden wall at my grandparents house.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Here's another one I had a few nights ago:

I had just read on the news that Queensland Rail of Australia will be buying 4 new Hitachi Class 800s and 5 new Hitachi Class 801s. The Class 800s will be used on services from Brisbane Roma Street to Cairns running in electric mode from Brisbane until Rockhampton then running in diesel for the rest of its journey to Cairns. The Class 801 would be used on services from Brisbane to Rockhampton only. These would be replacing both the Diesel Tilt Train (Class 800) and the Electric Tilt Train (Class 801), and would he called as ICHST (InterCity High Speed Train). All to be in 9 coaches. There would be quite a few modifications between the British AT300s and the Australian AT300s - the first one being that the ones in Australia would have a much more powerful air conditioning to cope with the hotter Australian weather. In addition, in the bi-mode sets (Class 800) will have bedrooms (like a night European train) in coaches 4 and 5, due to the Brisbane to Cairns train (Spirit of Queensland) being a good 25 hours journey to complete end to end. In addition, they would be the first Australian trains to be able to run at 200 km/h (125 mph) compared to the current Tilt Trains that can only do 160 km/h (100 mph). And they would do so between Brisbane and Rockhampton.

When I had read the news, I spoke to myself: "Nice to see the Class 800 series being used in other parts of the world and not just the UK!"

Logan Carroll

Have you ever had a dream related to trains you can’t remember if you dreamed or if they actually happened?

For me its a picture i saw online of the revised Class 314 interior from the 90s that was only applied to a single car of a single unit.

It was a picture from the time and it had small murals at the cab ends (like in the 320s but on a much smaller scale, around the size of a brick.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A couple from me from the last couple of nights.

1. I was at a Belfast station waiting for a train to Dublin. The train that pulled in to form the stock was a GWR "Castle HST". People were queuing to board the service behind a notice that stated that if they did not have a reservation they might be refused boarding. I went to purchase a ticket to Dublin from a machine. The ticket that came out had writing in French stating that I must validate the ticket in a validating machine before boarding.

2. A friend had secured a job as a trainee driver GBRf - on their first day they were instructed to drive two class 50s from Motherwell to Bristol non stop on their own without having ever set foot in a train driving cab! I went out and waved to them as they passed through Cheltenham Spa!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had one last night. Firstly I was on one of those old fashions suburban complete compartment trains, (I think you could get 10 or 12 people in each one,) I was just arrived at I think Waterloo Railway Station. Then I was arriving by bus at Clapham Junction Station awaiting my train back home.

Chris217

Last night I dreamt i was waiting at Wigan North Western for my London Euston train from Glasgow Central and when it came in,it was 08347 on load 6 blue and grey mk1s!
I asked the platform staff if this was my train,and they said yes! Looked at my watch and noted it was bang on time!
I thought,this will be interesting.
I boarded the train,the whistle went and off we departed noting a pendo going northbound!
So I found myself a seat in one of the compartments and noticed it seemed to be going a lot faster than the maximum 15mph!

I took a look out of the door window to see the 08 shunter rocking violently from side to side!
Arriving at Euston i noted an exact time of arrival!
Everything else in the station was Pendalino except my BR blue 08347.
Not even any spotters there taking photos!

Ha,just been going through all my old spotting books.
08347 was allocated to Grangemouth!

I remember a weird dream I had where I was at Mile End on the eastbound platforms and there were D78 Stock trains, 1992 Stock trains passing through and then to my surprise a 1962 Stock train fully refurbished had come through. I had never seen a 1962 Stock tube train in real life at the time of the dream (I was born a few years after they were withdrawn, I saw a 62 Stock rail adhesion train a few weeks ago making that the first time I had seen one) so this was a surprise. What was more surprising was that it was in service and picking up passengers. I look and all of a sudden the tunnel that Central Line trains depart into heading eastbound towards Stratford was gone and in its place was a brick wall. The 62 Stock departs and goes through the wall, phasing through it as if it weren't there. The interior lights were off as well inside the train and then when I looked at the back of the train, the cab lights were on, but they were an orange colour and eventually the train goes through the wall. I was confused, turned away as I had a D78 arrive before turning again and the tunnel had returned.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Dreamed that the regime held a conference in my villa, they arrived by train but unannounced, fortunately I was home at the time so I could make tea for them
I do not live in a villa, mind

alxndr

Established Member
Something to do with having to renew a set of points, although it transpired that the point machine didn't move points but rather a 4ft mounted bathtub. Then apologising to the neighbours about the resulting noise.

Tracked

Established Member
The bit I remember from last night;

I was cycling to some relatives who live near Northallerton, for some reason, from Doncaster. I'd made slow progress after a flat tyre, only just passing through Norton (7 miles north of me), it was 13:48 in the afternoon and already getting dark, when I heard a vehicle approaching from over the hill behind me.

It was a 91, both it and carriages were in the Intercity Swallow livery, and the driver thoughtfully pulled over to the other side of the road to give me enough space. As it went round the corner I got a good look at the underside of the train, as it had titled to the point it was virtually on its side. And before anyone asks, there was a no actual railway line for it to run on whilst doing this.

Calthrop

Established Member
One last night: as often with the railway-themed dreams that I get, I know in the dream that it's at the present day (COVID not featuring here); nonetheless -- the place where I am in the dream, still has steam in abundance, working on a regular daily basis (wish-fulfilment?). In this one, I and several companions were on a long, slow cross-country rail journey in Romania: our train was steam-hauled, I think by a German P8 type 4-6-0 (Romanian class 230) -- numerous other steam workings encountered "in the bygoing". We were cooking an elaborate beef stew, on a camp-stove-type gadget on the table between the two pairs of seats which we were occupying. Our fellow-passengers were not at all perturbed by this: on the contrary, they gave us much encouragement, and kept bringing along items to contribute to the meal...

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
One last night: as often with the railway-themed dreams that I get, I know in the dream that it's at the present day (COVID not featuring here); nonetheless -- the place where I am in the dream, still has steam in abundance, working on a regular daily basis (wish-fulfilment?). In this one, I and several companions were on a long, slow cross-country rail journey in Romania: our train was steam-hauled, I think by a German P8 type 4-6-0 (Romanian class 230) -- numerous other steam workings encountered "in the bygoing". We were cooking an elaborate beef stew, on a camp-stove-type gadget on the table between the two pairs of seats which we were occupying. Our fellow-passengers were not at all perturbed by this: on the contrary, they gave us much encouragement, and kept bringing along items to contribute to the meal...
That sort of thing probably did used to happen in those areas.

Calthrop

Established Member
Well, in real waking life in Romania in 1970, I observed locals accomplishing the clever feat of doing folk-dancing in the corridor of a train coach...

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had one last night, I was arriving at Waterloo with some very old school friends, (On a School Trip) we were in modern times, but the trains were the old suburban SR Slam door type. We were going to connect with a Boat Train from Liverpool Street to The Netherlands, I presume via the Harwich/Hoek Ferry? Then I was in Amsterdam and they had very modern 3D rail/tram/metro/bus interactive maps at the stations showing how to get to the big tulip fields not so far from AMS Airport....(Then I saw one of my old schoolmasters who gave me 1000 lines to write, not sure what I had done to get that!!, although that did happen at my school) Very odd the way dreams work.

Last edited:

Tracked

Established Member
I was looking for something to watch on some sort of streaming service, and decided to watch a show called "The Third Series", some sort of conspiracy thriller thing. On looking at a summary of the show it appeared that at the end of part 2 there was a mass shoot out between several characters, and it turned out they were having this in front of Doncaster station (as it currently is).

alxndr

Established Member
I found myself trying to guess a train from a bad description of it in my dream last night. Someone was giving me bad descriptions but throwing out every suggestion I had, and I was left trying to draw what I thought it looked like.
I think it was a Class 37, but in the dream the nose was far, far longer than in reality.

BVW

I hope this is permissible within the thread, but for many years I've had an occasional recurring dream where I go back to work for a previous company as a bus driver, only to be sent out on the road without being given a schedule or any kind of route training despite my pleas. Once in the cab I tend to wake up from the dream without reaching any kind of conclusion.

Chris217

My latest train related dream saw me waiting at Huyton bus station.
My bus turned up and I sat upstairs,sat down and heard a train horn,so I looked out the window and saw a pair of BR blue 4 car class 115 DMUs going passed.
I know they used to work back in the 70s but never saw any of the Allerton ones in reality.

Tracked

Established Member
I was some sort of museum in Derby, near the station, set up to look like some sort of railway workshop. There was a room in the corner with something in, possibly a model railway but I can't remember if I went in.

On the way home the 321 out of Doncaster was delayed while waiting for a Cross Country service to arrive, after setting off from Doncaster the guard announced that because the Cross Country service had been cancelled the train we were on would be running non-stop to Wakefield, my reaction was to think that least it was Sunday so the train would be back from Leeds in half an hour.

The train stopped between Bentley and Adwick for some reason, I woke up around that point.

Paul Jones 88

I dreamed I was at Euston for the first ever HS2 service, it turned out to be a metallic pink class 304 with go faster stripes, I got on and the interior was all black but with red seats like you get on a super car, Jeremy Clarkson was checking tickets.

Tracked

Established Member
Seems like I might've had too much cheese again :lol: , 3 separate (as far as I can remember) train-related dreams last night;

1 - Me and 5/6 others were on Holiday in York for a week, I was keeping clear the Thursday morning to go cycling. My plan to cycle down the old railway line to Hornsea was ruined because I got up late and struggled to find anywhere that I could have breakfast because every was full (obviously, in reality, a York to Hornsea railway line not existing might've ruined my plans a bit more ... ).

2 - I was overlooking a railway cutting, where there was a single platformed station on a double track. The platform was reached by a bridge, there were two lines diverging from the main line that that went behind it and looked to be dipping further down towards a tunnel. It was a fairly narrow platform with a brick-built shelter on it and the station was called "Farnley Junction Station". I was worried about the train arriving as it had limited services in one direction only, and I was aware that the last service hadn't stopped there because someone was skateboarding on the platform.

3 - I was on a train going from Doncaster to a destination beyond Hull (which I can't remember), the unusual thing was that the service wasn't reversing at Hull. I was unsure whether the train was going to my destination, or whether I would have to change later on, so I decided I would ask the guard when he came to check my tickets. When I looked in my wallet for the tickets I found I had several tickets in there, and panicking to get the right ticket I gave the guard one for the journey Doncaster to Seahouses. The guard mentioned changing at Sheffield for this, but then I saw the right ticket - dated 16.01.21 - and asked him if he knew whether I'd need to change to get to my destination, but he didn't know. I decided to wait and see what happened, we went through a station that had two platforms but only a canopy over the platform my train went through. Out past the platform was the estuary, a large freight ship was heading out to sea (obviously in reality this would be impossible, as the estuary would be on the wrong side).