• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Welland, Harringworth & Bennerley Viaduct (s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning, after watching a recent TV programme about the Welland Viaduct, I was wondering if it is also known as the Harringworth viaduct? are they one and the same structure, or are they 2 different viaducts? I don't think the line these are on is very busy these days?

The same programme also featured an item about the Bennerley Viaduct, I could see that that still goes over another railway line, but could not work out which route that would have been?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A0wen

On Moderation
Good morning, after watching a recent TV programme about the Welland Viaduct, I was wondering if it is also known as the Harringworth viaduct? are they one and the same structure, or are they 2 different viaducts? I don't think the line these are on is very busy these days?

The same programme also featured an item about the Bennerley Viaduct, I could see that that still goes over another railway line, but could not work out which route that would have been?

Yes, the Welland is Harringworth or vice versa.

It has a couple of EMR services a day which run beyond Corby, in part to maintain route knowledge as it's used as a diversion if Leicester - Kettering is closed.

Bennerley's just north of Ilkeston station, so part of the Midland Mainline between Nottingham and Langley Mill.

eMeS

One of the names isn't recognised by the "StreetMap" online map's database. Took me a long time to find where it was, and if I'd known, I could have visited on my visits to Rutland Water for "Birdfair".

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There used to be a Bennerley Junction on the Midland just underneath the viaduct, where there was a branch through Kimberley that joined the Leen Valley route (the Robin Hood Line) south of Bulwell. More recently it just served an adjacent colliery.

The route over the Bennerley Viaduct was the Nottingham to Derby route of the Great Northern, which ran via Derby Friargate and originally did a big loop round the north of Nottingham to Colwick, where trains either continued via Grantham or entered Nottingham London Road Low Level from the east. When the GC was built they added a connecting curve and got running powers so trains could use the quicker route through Victoria instead.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Bennerley is just a couple of miles from where I grew up. It crosses the Erewash Valley and therefore the Erewash Valley line. I recall seeing a train crossing it as a child. The nearest place likely to be on an OS gazeteer is Ilkeston. Look to the east.

Moderator note: part of this post was moved to:

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Yes, Welland Viaduct and Harringworth Viaduct are the same. I think it's more properly known in railway circles as Welland Viaduct, but locals (of whom I was once one!) usually call it Harringworth Viaduct after the village underneath it.

(The White Swan in Harringworth used to be a lovely pub... closed now, I believe.)

Status
Not open for further replies.