• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wensleydale Railway ‘clear out’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any if everyone took WR's attitude, they wouldn't have anything to hire in would they... Hopefully stock owners will charge the WR a surcharge against railways more ameanable to working towards stock restoration rather than wanting to have their cake and eat it.

So you think a railway should just happily permit stock which doesn't have a dogs chance of ever being restored to stay, rent free, ad infinitum? Looking back at WR's facebook page, they have done an amazing job of restoring 37250, a Bubble Car and some Mk2's

Add to the confusion over Pacers on wensleydale how many do they have?. Because Facebook page on wensleydale railway only mentions the original 142s x4. That arrived Last year 2020. and the 144 unit. However regarding the x5 that arrived in middle of January this year what's there status. The ones they don't like or want will they clear these out as well.?
Because looking at all relevant information there is no updates or news announcements off these new January 142 arrivals. Unless they are collecting dust or will be sub hired or leased to someone?.
And your right to know this info is based on what?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Titfield

Established Member
It isn't a problem unique to WR - many heritage railways have stock awaiting restoration. Covered accommodation would be high on the list for all I am certain but where does the money come from?
It may be high on the list, but given the choice between a carriage shed and another carriage that is in jeopardy of scrapping, a heritage railway will always buy the carriage (as otherwise it will be scrapped) and not build the carriage shed.

warwickshire

On Moderation
So you think a railway should just happily permit stock which doesn't have a dogs chance of ever being restored to stay, rent free, ad infinitum? Looking back at WR's facebook page, they have done an amazing job of restoring 37250, a Bubble Car and some Mk2's

And your right to know this info is based on what?
I just would like to know about the status off 142090 142018 142094 142078 142087 the January arrivals that went to the wensleydale railway and what is going to be the future off them. Because on wensleydales Facebook page. No information. Even on the pacer rail group no information either. Just they are in store for some unknown reason. However at least last year on the keighley and worth valley railway during 2020. At least they did do updates on the 144s stored status at keighley. Unless the 142s on wensleydale January arrivals are a secret status at the momment.

It may be high on the list, but given the choice between a carriage shed and another carriage that is in jeopardy of scrapping, a heritage railway will always buy the carriage (as otherwise it will be scrapped) and not build the carriage shed.
Couldn’t agree more. So WR appear to have a sensible policy i.e. Save the stuff which has potential future use and reduce site congestion by removing the stuff which doesn’t offer long term value.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
It isn't a problem unique to WR - many heritage railways have stock awaiting restoration. Covered accommodation would be high on the list for all I am certain but where does the money come from?
'awaiting restoration' being the key phrase. How long is a reasonable period between purchase (from the big railway), arrival on a heritage site, commencement of repair and completion of repair. Lets face it, some things are bought full of enthusiasm (and perhaps simply because the opportunity was there) but lacking in volunteer time and cash. They will never be restored to working order and probably not even restored cosmetically as a static exhibit. When compiling my list of preserved locomotives, I found a large number of no hopers - for example a chassis with no superstructure, slowly returning to nature in the encroaching undergrowth, a future time team discovery.

If I go to a business, I do not want to see their broken old machinery lying around the place. If a heritage railway has somewhere convenient to hide stuff out-of-sight, fine, otherwise do something with it. Perhaps there could be a central site where all the 'long-term restoration projects' can be stored together, such as a former marshalling yard like Healey Mills or a former out of the way freight facility such as a quarry.

Gloster

Established Member
'awaiting restoration' being the key phrase. How long is a reasonable period between purchase (from the big railway), arrival on a heritage site, commencement of repair and completion of repair. Lets face it, some things are bought full of enthusiasm (and perhaps simply because the opportunity was there) but lacking in volunteer time and cash. They will never be restored to working order and probably not even restored cosmetically as a static exhibit. When compiling my list of preserved locomotives, I found a large number of no hopers - for example a chassis with no superstructure, slowly returning to nature in the encroaching undergrowth, a future time team discovery.

If I go to a business, I do not want to see their broken old machinery lying around the place. If a heritage railway has somewhere convenient to hide stuff out-of-sight, fine, otherwise do something with it. Perhaps there could be a central site where all the 'long-term restoration projects' can be stored together, such as a former marshalling yard like Healey Mills or a former out of the way freight facility such as a quarry.

Perhaps there could be a central site where all the 'long-term restoration projects' can be stored together, such as a former marshalling yard like Healey Mills or a former out of the way freight facility such as a quarry.
Or with the Strategic Reserve of steam locos alongside Box Tunnel. Like King Arthur they will be waiting for the call to help the country in its hour of need.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Or with the Strategic Reserve of steam locos alongside Box Tunnel. Like King Arthur they will be waiting for the call to help the country in its hour of need.

We’re in serious trouble if 45015 is rostered for the hospital train...

Baxenden Bank

Established Member

You jest, but somewhere on the forum, discussing that very subject, revealed that the UK strategic reserve in the event of a nuclear conflict actually included the fleet of preserved steam locos and the BR pile of withdrawn / stored unservicable modernisation plan diesels.

Plus there is a diesel loco in the Box Tunnel (ex WWII armaments store and cold-war nuclear shelter). Something previously used by the War Department.

Richard Scott

Established Member
If you’re up for starting a crowd funding project I’m happy to chuck all the cash that’s currently in my wallet in to the cause...
Done one 45 already, which took about 15 years. Will leave that one to someone else!!!!! Any volunteers?!!!!

Richard Scott

Established Member
Not surprised, know going off topic now but looked around 45015 best part of 20 years ago and wasn't much left then. Needs a complete electrical cubicle, most auxiliaries and cabs totally rebuilt. If you want a project and have plenty of money then sure it's do-able. How about a 45 for 21st century, Cat engine and 3 phase drives? Maybe some hybrid technology thrown in for good measure?!!!

pdeaves

Established Member
Not surprised, know going off topic now but looked around 45015 best part of 20 years ago and wasn't much left then. Needs a complete electrical cubicle, most auxiliaries and cabs totally rebuilt. If you want a project and have plenty of money then sure it's do-able. How about a 45 for 21st century, Cat engine and 3 phase drives? Maybe some hybrid technology thrown in for good measure?!!!
That's a good idea. Subject to £££ of course but if it has to be spent anyway... Create something that the Wensleydale Railway (or anyone else) will welcome to run their services and keep the paying public happy (cleaner on the environment, etc.).

Slight Off Topic but relevant.

Wensleydale is not the only railway to be having a clear out. Bluebell Railway also is too. Mainly the Sleeper stock and a couple of Mk1s are for sale at the moment (sleeper/sleeper conversion).

Pullman lilian has been sold and Stamford a appeal is being raised by Rocks By Rail to raise funds to purchase it.

Links below

Wensleydale is not the only railway to be having a clear out. Bluebell Railway also is too. Mainly the Sleeper stock and a couple of Mk1s are for sale at the moment (sleeper/sleeper conversion).

Pullman lilian has been sold and Stamford a appeal is being raised by Rocks By Rail to raise funds to purchase it.

Links below

Mk1 Sleeper coaches seem to have a bad time in preservation, I know the presence of Asbestos is always a challenge but would be surprised if that one finds a buyer.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member

Links below

Mk1 Sleeper coaches seem to have a bad time in preservation, I know the presence of Asbestos is always a challenge but would be surprised if that one finds a buyer.
So basically, the Mk1 sleepers were there to serve a purpose (overnight volunteer accommodation) rather than being items for preservation. As such they have served their purpose, being replaced by MkIII's. Use them, abuse them, throw them away. A bit like a spares donor locomotive.

I would hope a representative selection of the Mk1 sleeper fleet is preserved, and similarly the Mk3 fleet, as part of the country's railway heritage.

The questions is, if a replacement for Mk1 seated coaches becomes available, will many be sent to the torch? Are they 'preserved' or simply 'in use until whenever'.

There was a previous discussion around this topic (probably several over the years). Most heritage lines require only one working locomotive and a single rake of carriages to operate their normal timetable. A second loco as spare (yes, very inefficient 100% spare but difficult to do it any other way). Perhaps replace that spare or add to it with a quick start diesel loco for rescue, engineering, shunting etc. The big railways may require half a dozen locomotives in traffic in high season. Now how many 'preserved' locomotives are out there chasing that haulage contract to fund their restoration and ongoing maintenance?

DB

The questions is, if a replacement for Mk1 seated coaches becomes available, will many be sent to the torch? Are they 'preserved' or simply 'in use until whenever'.

No. If it was going to it would have happened with the Mk2s and Mk3s and it didn't - many of those went straight from service to scrap, in the case of many Mk3s very recently. There are only a few lines which have acquired some, and in most cases they are smaller lines without significant existing Mk1 fleets.There is now nothing else to come - Mk4s aren't really suitable for a number of reasons, and a number of them too have gone for scrap recently (none preserved).

Mk1s are also of different construction, with separate body and underframe - meaning that they can be repaired almost indefinitely by people with suitable welding skills. Mk2s and 3s are more difficult due to the integral construction, with the bodyshell providing a lot of the rigidity.

Basic difference is tha the seated Mk1s are part of the operational assets of heritage railways, whereas the sleepers are for a specific purpose and not used by the public.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
It's slightly off topic, I know, but what's happening to the stock previously used on the Caledonian Sleeper, please?

I've seen what looked like a full rake at Kidderminster, and I think that I've also seen a different rake somewhere else (although I may be imagining this!). I can't see a need for something like this on a Heritage Railway, so what were they doing there?

alexl92

Established Member
I just would like to know about the status off 142090 142018 142094 142078 142087 the January arrivals that went to the wensleydale railway and what is going to be the future off them. Because on wensleydales Facebook page. No information. Even on the pacer rail group no information either. Just they are in store for some unknown reason. However at least last year on the keighley and worth valley railway during 2020. At least they did do updates on the 144s stored status at keighley. Unless the 142s on wensleydale January arrivals are a secret status at the momment.
At least two 144s which arrived on the Wensleydale Railway a while back were due to go to the Aln Valley Railway. The WR agreed to receive and store them until the AVR could arrange transport by road as the AVR is not currently linked to the national network.

JonathanP

It's slightly off topic, I know, but what's happening to the stock previously used on the Caledonian Sleeper, please?

I've seen what looked like a full rake at Kidderminster, and I think that I've also seen a different rake somewhere else (although I may be imagining this!). I can't see a need for something like this on a Heritage Railway, so what were they doing there?

Apparently they are being stored on behalf of the new owners Locomotive Services Limited. The SVR has also been used as a test track and a tour origin and destination point by LSL.

The SVR does also have it's own mini-fleet of Mk3 sleepers for staff accomodation use.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Apparently they are being stored on behalf of the new owners Locomotive Services Limited. The SVR has also been used as a test track and a tour origin and destination point by LSL.

The SVR does also have it's own mini-fleet of Mk3 sleepers for staff accomodation use.
Ah, thank you.

Pinza-C55

As a kid remember Bedale as this amazing station with loads of old NER semaphores and yard/sidings inton the 1980s. It was immaculately kept despite been closed, for the Royal train. Surprised they have never tried to recreate this, in fact was saddened it was gone. Be better letting Smithy run it with his giant trainset than some pacers replacing the clapped out Bubble car.

I used to volunteer on the WR from opening day till late 2004 , mainly working the crossing gates at Bedale and I tried to persuade them to restore semaphores at Bedale but it was to no avail. I reconnected the Up signal to the frame but when they got contractors in to lay the passing loop (described by another volunteer as "the most expensive siding in history" the contractors severed the wires to the signal.

DunfordBridge

@Pinza-C55 the rail traffic across Bedale crossing is once again controlled by semaphore signals complete with annetts keys. I am not sure when the transition took place but it was certainly after 2013.

Pinza-C55

@Pinza-C55 the rail traffic across Bedale crossing is once again controlled by semaphore signals complete with annetts keys. I am not sure when the transition took place but it was certainly after 2013.

Yes the Annetts Key locks were left on the gates by BR when the WR took over but the linkage below the lever frame was completely removed along with the wires and pulley posts so I had to scavenge bits from the rest of the line. I also managed to acquire a block shelf and MC K & H cast iron supports for the box since these had also been removed.

DunfordBridge

I cannot remember the last time I worked the Bedale box as I have tended to work as a member of train crew in recent years, but I used to enjoy the procedure involved in pulling off the signals there. Interesting too working there in foggy conditions. Like seeing a ghost train.

TheEdge

Established Member

A significant number of Mk2 and Mk3s (both ex Caledonian and ex-GA) are now living in the old carriage sidings at Great Yarmouth owned by Eastern Rail Services.

WesternLancer

Established Member

Links below

Bit of a shame as I think MK1 sleepers and indeed LMS sleepers even more so are pretty rare vehicles.

BigB

Bit of a shame as I think MK1 sleepers and indeed LMS sleepers even more so are pretty rare vehicles.
They are uncommon, but certainly in the case of LMS sleepers are full of asbestos which prevents a lot of "improvement" work, as the bulkheads have sandwiched asbestos which means even a 1" screw can disturb it. The bulkheads can be removed in one go though.
They need a purpose to be viable, and so if a buyer is prepared to spend the money internally refitting it to make bigger compartments then they could make a pretty good camping coach.

WesternLancer

Established Member
They are uncommon, but certainly in the case of LMS sleepers are full of asbestos which prevents a lot of "improvement" work, as the bulkheads have sandwiched asbestos which means even a 1" screw can disturb it. The bulkheads can be removed in one go though.
They need a purpose to be viable, and so if a buyer is prepared to spend the money internally refitting it to make bigger compartments then they could make a pretty good camping coach.
Yes, not an easy one by any means - esp if wish to retain the historical integrity of the interior etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.