• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Country Independents

Citistar

Thanks Andy. I know that Clevedon school set the minibus run up themselves when the X7 stopped , as I spoke to one of the governors about the licensing issues. The school also paid Carmel Bristol to run the service around Clevedon for a few weeks when Coombs stopped running the 985 , but could not justify the net cost. All done with no help from North Somerset.
All these things are a case of being in the right place, i suppose. I'm sure a reasonable contribution from Clevedon School for getting some of their children in could be teamed up with a daytime Yatton - Clevedon service which would stand a far better chance of being sustainable than looks likely for the BridgerBus. Doing something like that with an economical vehicle could even be borderline commercial with the right school movements. Seeing as the staff at the council haven't seen fit to provide me with details of the contract results of a service i bid for, i suppose i'll have to put in an FOI.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Faresaver running new Bath Shopper once-weekly services from 12th April (bar Semington which has 2 a week, via two different routes)

Wondering if the one from Semington replaces the Real Coach one that used to do Hilperton - Bath (think that was X80 something?)

The one from Worton - Bath looks like a drive and a half, run via Earlstoke, Edington, Bratton, Steeple Ashton, Broughton Gifford and Farleigh Wick.

Interesting to know the loads on that when it picks up

Citistar

Faresaver running new Bath Shopper once-weekly services from 12th April (bar Semington which has 2 a week, via two different routes)

Wondering if the one from Semington replaces the Real Coach one that used to do Hilperton - Bath (think that was X80 something?)

The one from Worton - Bath looks like a drive and a half, run via Earlstoke, Edington, Bratton, Steeple Ashton, Broughton Gifford and Farleigh Wick.

Interesting to know the loads on that when it picks up
They are broadly replacements for a variety of services, notably X79 replaces Coachstyle 37 which ran right up until the CAZ was enacted this week. Other routes were 64 (which becomes X84), 86 (roughly X85) and X88 (same) which i think have all been running on a no fares and unregistered basis since PSVAR regs made it difficult for the coach operators providing them to carry on providing them.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I was wondering if anyone happened to know when Tilleys, south of Bude, ceased operating stage carriage services, what routes they were operating around the time, and if it was ‘by choice’ or loss of contracts come renewal time?

Seems it was some point into the 2000s with at least one new Optare Solo and pair of ex-London Marshall Darts, and at least two routes around Launceston in the 22x range.

carlberry

Established Member
Eurotaxis appear to have acquired an Enviro 200 Dart, seen on their 626 service today instead of the Solo that's been the main vehicle for several years.

Marcus Fryer

Eurotaxis appear to have acquired an Enviro 200 Dart, seen on their 626 service today instead of the Solo that's been the main vehicle for several years.
PN58 BOF. They've had it for at least a month, being parked up in Bond Street (Bristol) during the afternoon. When first seen it carried 'On Test', then started carrying '626 Bristol'. Think it might be reregistered from a Republic of Ireland Dublin registration (09-D-3523) (new to Irish Bus (Bus Eireann) AM13 according to 'Bus Lists on the Web') and have come via Odyssey Coach Sales (video on their website).

Last edited:

M803UYA

I was wondering if anyone happened to know when Tilleys, south of Bude, ceased operating stage carriage services, what routes they were operating around the time, and if it was ‘by choice’ or loss of contracts come renewal time?

Seems it was some point into the 2000s with at least one new Optare Solo and pair of ex-London Marshall Darts, and at least two routes around Launceston in the 22x range.
They were Marshalls, but not Darts. Instead they were two of those famous Minibuses which helped more than a few operators go out of business.

The concept of an Allison gearbox mated to a Cummins B series engine was a sound one, it was just that they used a smaller engine making the vehicle seriously underpowered. Bit like an early version of the Wright Streetlite. Most of their initial operators returned the buses back to Marshalls in return for more reliable Dennis Dart SLFs, and so these young vehicles came onto the secondhand market at an attractive price.

South West Coaches bought a pair in 2002 which were to herald a new low floor future for all their bus services. It was in practice rare for the pair to operate together, or for any of the pair to operate more than two/three days before failing. If you think this amusing, they also acquired a Mk1 Optare Excel from East Yorkshire when those were prematurely disposed of. It was able to operate more than two/three days in service and my godfather was extremely proud to be driving his new allocated low floor bus.

The pair of Marshall Minibuses eventually received Cummins ISB engines and they became reliable vehicles, but after two years of use were sold back to the North West and replaced with a pair of reliable Mercedes 811s with Marshall bodies.

I only mention all this as I visited Tilleys with a friend and found the owner to be very welcoming towards two bus enthusiasts who weren't giving him any money, but I noticed the pair of Marshalls in the corner and told him about the pair South West Coaches were running and what had been done to the engines. His droll reply 'Well, good to know I'm spending more of my overdraft on something that'll actually be worthwhile' was rather amusing.

I think the Tilleys pair, along with the Solo later ended up with Group Travel in Bodmin along with their services so presumably there was some sort of deal whereby Tilleys ended up purely as a coach operation and Group Travel acquired some additional work.

swifty

Established Member
As for the tendered service between the Airport and Weston via Wrington, Blagdon and Winscombe, nothing has yet been announced. Wrington Parish Council have put on their website that NSC have told them they "no intention" to leave them without a bus service. Who knows what is happening in the secretive lads club of the council's transport department?
Stagecoach (!) are to operate arrive 51 between Langford and Weston, temporarily, from next week.

51 - Weston-Super-Mare to Langford

From 6th April 2021, we will be running the 51 in partnership with North Somerset Council.

The 51 service will run from Weston-Super-Mare, via Haywood, Winscombe & Churchill to Langford.

There will also be an additional bus available only for Churchill Academy students.

Please view the full timetable here.

Citistar

It's good that it brings people all the way into Weston then dumps them at the station, still a serious walk away from anywhere they might want to be!
As a result of the works in the town, First's Excel Notwork is only getting as far as Locking Road Coach Park at the moment. I believe i'm the only operator still serving the one bus stop left on Regent Street.

carlberry

Established Member
As a result of the works in the town, First's Excel Notwork is only getting as far as Locking Road Coach Park at the moment. I believe i'm the only operator still serving the one bus stop left on Regent Street.
It's good to see North Somerset's plan to keep bus passengers out of sight of anybody using the shops/beach/banks is working!

Marcus Fryer

I have rewritten the reference to the 672 to try and clarify the situation. The contract is (was?) a B&NES issued contract, to which NSC pay (or have traditionally paid) a contribution to cover the sections of route via Blagdon and Dundry. It is now managed by WECA, so presumably they are now bearing the full financial burden of providing the service. I don't have the details to hand as i'm not in the office today, but i believe that 672 is expected to be retendered this year.
According to the HCT website the 672 is continuing for the moment unchanged. With the introduction of the 55 this gives Dundry a lot more buses than it had last month.

richw

Veteran Member
Out of a personal interest has anyone photos of Sprinter KE54NWN whilst it was with Nailsea community transport please? I bought it from Travelbillity in Weston about a year ago and have been told it’s history recently!

DaveHarries

Established Member
672 is currently being retendered by WECA on a much reduced timetable, intended to change from September.
Presumably down to 3 per day each way at best. Might be enough for now while people are still staying a home unless for essential journeys but if, by chance, demand for the 672 picks up once the current situation is over and done with then whatever reduced TT may not be enough.

Perhaps there is some flexibility that takes account of that possibility. But if the idea is to reduce car use then it may not be a good idea to provide a service that it is likely to prove inconvenient for those whom it is intended to serve.

Dave

Marcus Fryer

HCT/Bristol Community Transport have new E200MMC 1352/3 (YX21 RPU/V) for the 53/54/55. Is there also a 1351?

NJ51

HCT/Bristol Community Transport have new E200MMC 1352/3 (YX21 RPU/V) for the 53/54/55. Is there also a 1351?
I have only seen 1352/3 which BusListsOnTheWeb has recorded as 1353/4 in error. I have posted photos on flickr.

-Colly405-

For those interested, the 991, 991s and 992 timetables are online on the Churchill Academy website. Not necessarily the obvious place to look...

991 - Langford to Wrington at 0945, 1145, 1345, 1745.
991 - Wrington to Langford at 1000, 1200, 1400, 1800.
992 - Langford to Blagdon at 0845, 1045, 1245, 1645.
992 - Blagdon to Langford at 0900, 1100, 1300, 1700.
991s - Winford (0730) - Felton - Redhill - Wrington (0750) - Langford Churchill Acad (0805)
991s - Wrington (0820) - Langford - Churchill Acad (0835)
991s - Churchill Acad (1505) - Langford - Wrington (1520)
991s - Churchill Acad (1535) - Langford - Wrington (1550) - Redhill - Felton - Winford (1610)

Operated by Weston & District using a 12-14 seat wheelchair accessible minibus.

Marcus Fryer

For those interested, the 991, 991s and 992 timetables are online on the Churchill Academy website. Not necessarily the obvious place to look...

991 - Langford to Wrington at 0945, 1145, 1345, 1745.
991 - Wrington to Langford at 1000, 1200, 1400, 1800.
992 - Langford to Blagdon at 0845, 1045, 1245, 1645.
992 - Blagdon to Langford at 0900, 1100, 1300, 1700.
991s - Winford (0730) - Felton - Redhill - Wrington (0750) - Langford Churchill Acad (0805)
991s - Wrington (0820) - Langford - Churchill Acad (0835)
991s - Churchill Acad (1505) - Langford - Wrington (1520)
991s - Churchill Acad (1535) - Langford - Wrington (1550) - Redhill - Felton - Winford (1610)

Operated by Weston & District using a 12-14 seat wheelchair accessible minibus.

Those times don’t give very good connections with the 51 timetable, to put it mildly. 25 minute connections one way and 85 minute connections the other at Langford!
Also, 15-20 minutes journey time Wrington-Langford looks excessive, especially when the 991s is only allowed 5 minutes (which, looking at the U2 timetable seems more realistic).
Without knowing which route the 991 takes, it makes me wonder why the 51 doesn’t run to/from Wrington instead of laying over 25 minutes at Langford,

Last edited:

henairs

South West Coaches have put another Streetlite into service. LX21CHZ has been vinyled and is in white livery. Today it was being used on service 81 Yeovil - South Petherton.

Last edited by a moderator:

Citistar

Much reduced? The morning and evening runs only?

It’s a far cry from 2001!
The tender is out for bids from the West of England Combined Authority (WECA) at the moment. There is one option, for two journeys in to Bristol in the morning (0653/0930 ex Blagdon), and two journeys coming from Bristol in the afternoon (1405/1715 ex Bristol). The services up for tender at the moment are the new authority's first tender round and cover Bath & NE Somerset and South Glos contracts. Operators are not allowed to propose variations to try and make it more cost effective. There are pages of questions about quality, none of which concern how good an operator is at running bus services, but does seek to find out how well you can generate Procurement nonsense. I've asked for help with it as i don't have a department of droids that can generate this nonsense, but have been effectively told to go away. To get to the point where i could even submit a price on a single contract would involve several days of work and i think i'm getting to the stage where i'm thinking that life is too short.

Regarding the 51/991/992 services, i've put together a blog detailing the connections and offering an alternative solution which might be a touch more effective.

freetoview33

Established Member
The tender is out for bids from the West of England Combined Authority (WECA) at the moment. There is one option, for two journeys in to Bristol in the morning (0653/0930 ex Blagdon), and two journeys coming from Bristol in the afternoon (1405/1715 ex Bristol). The services up for tender at the moment are the new authority's first tender round and cover Bath & NE Somerset and South Glos contracts. Operators are not allowed to propose variations to try and make it more cost effective. There are pages of questions about quality, none of which concern how good an operator is at running bus services, but does seek to find out how well you can generate Procurement nonsense. I've asked for help with it as i don't have a department of droids that can generate this nonsense, but have been effectively told to go away. To get to the point where i could even submit a price on a single contract would involve several days of work and i think i'm getting to the stage where i'm thinking that life is too short.

Regarding the 51/991/992 services, i've put together a blog detailing the connections and offering an alternative solution which might be a touch more effective.
I agree the North Somerset services are stupid as anything! I agree with what they are trying to do but the execution of it is bizarre to say the least.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Passing the Centurion Travel depot in Welton today and RATP London open topper VLE612 LJ07XEO was sat in the yard, in full London garb. I presume that it's a visitor for MOT from RATP Bath but why it's down here?

First time I'd seen one of the CT Coaches Sprinters in fleet colours on the 768 in place of the former non-compliant Solos

carlberry

Established Member
Passing the Centurion Travel depot in Welton today and RATP London open topper VLE612 LJ07XEO was sat in the yard, in full London garb. I presume that it's a visitor for MOT from RATP Bath but why it's down here?
For the Bristol tour? Or euro VI for the Bath tour.

Had a quick spin around North Somerset today (Thursday, not Tuesday which the boards' odd software has attributed to the post!) to photograph the new services. When the railways arrived in the 19th century one of the things they introduced was a standardised time for the country based on London time (GMT or BST in the summer), previously everywhere had it's own time and it appears that North Somerset has decided that this was a better method!
The Stagecoach vehicle in Nailsea managed to be 15 minutes late arriving, so at least 11 minutes late leaving. This did mean the bonus of seeing the Citistar Solo on the 128, for some reason Citistar were still insisting on running on BST however.
On to Clevedon and HCT arrived 15 minutes late as well, one of the older vehicles. Clevedon has an electronic departure board which runs on BST and doesn't have real time updates for the new services so the service that the HCT bus was operating had already disappeared from the board. This was a bit of a shame as the printed timetables on the bus stops were still the ones for the 88 service that doesn't exist anymore, partly hidden by a notice that timetables had changed because of Covid. However no indication that timetables had changed because of the local council! The 56 also turned up however I havent a clue when it was supposed to run as I couldn't find a timetable for it.
I did manage to catch up with one of the 21 plate HCT vehicles as it ended up on the 505 today which, I assume, Bristol city council require real time tracking on.

Last edited: