• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weymouth Loco Hauled 1970s-1990s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler40145

Established Member
What was the normal routing for InterCity services South of Reading to Weymouth & which were the normal diversion routes?

Although Cardiff/Bristol services were normally routed via Bath Spa, Westbury, Castle Cary, did they ever get diverted from Westbury to Southampton via Salisbury, Romsey & Eastleigh?

Although InterCity services would normally be hauled by 47s, I expect 31s, 33s, 45s, 50s & 73s could substitute?

What was normal traction for Cardiff/Bristol to Weymouth services & did any locos not normally seen on this route work these services?

Did many locos not normally

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Cross-country services reversing at Reading often enough had 33's south of Reading late 70s when I was spotting there.
I think there was a booked summer SO Weymouth service which went Romsey-Eastleigh around the same period, and some summer SO trains missed Reading station and went via the west curve.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I presume until the line West of Bournemouth was electrified, 33/1s hauled units to/from Weymouth?

Was it ever known for 73s to substitute?

D6975

Established Member
Weekdays Weymouths from Bristol/Cardiff invariably ran direct and could produce anything. The 16:15 off Bristol was a Bath Road chuckout.
31s, 33s, 37s, 47s even 50s.
On Summer Saturdays, Cardiff/Bristol - Weymouths changed around quite a lot. 47s direct via Yeovil PM was common. At various times we had a 33/1 and 8TC set doing 2 return trips from the Weymouth end via Yeovil.
Sometimes we had the 'rounders' (usually a 47). One would go down via Yeovil , back via Chandlers Ford and Salisbury, another the reverse. Later on we had a regular 37 turn, usually 2 direct round trips on Sats, 1 1/2 on weekdays.

ps On rare occasions the Sunday 'Bucket and Spade' would run via Swindon (rev) and Melksham - usually only on the way down. Only ever went that way once myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.