• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What’s going on with Thameslink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM9

Veteran Member
Southern England isn’t prepared for it, which isn’t anything to be too presumptuous about as given how rare snow is it wouldn’t be worth investing significantly sums for something which only happens very occasionally.

The issue we do have down here is that many motorists haven’t the first clue how to drive in such conditions. That’s more of a problem to be honest.
Poor driving in fog is a bigger problem, but even that doesn't give normal motorists much opportunity to learn.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Poor driving in fog is a bigger problem, but even that doesn't give normal motorists much opportunity to learn.

Absolutely. I'm not sure what I hate driving in more, ice/snow or fog. Increasing numbers of people seem to have no appreciation of basic physics.

AM9

Veteran Member
Absolutely. I'm not sure what I hate driving in more, ice/snow or fog. Increasing numbers of people seem to have no appreciation of basic physics.
I don't think that it's an increasing proportion, just reflecting the increased number of drivers overall.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

I think part of this is about experience. ”When I was a lad” I would be driving in fog fairly routinely in the ‘winter’ half of the year, and driving in snow almost every year, and often 2/3 times per winter.

Now, snowy weather seems to be much less common (the Rick family toboggan has been deployed today for only the second time in a decade), and on Saturday night I encountered fog for the first time in ages.

But I do agree that some people just don’t have the faintest idea how to drive in such circumstances.

Magdalen Road

Train journey (usu 1h17) took 2h45 this morning.
Although as my train was cancelled, I was actually 2½ hours late for work. Marvellous start to a rubbish week.

gabrielhj07

Just been booted off 1R46 at East Croydon, short of drivers. Hopped on 9R37 (44L), which will now run fast to Gatwick.

Just been booted off 1R46 at East Croydon, short of drivers. Hopped on 9R37 (44L), which will now run fast to Gatwick.
Which has now been cut short at Gatwick, instead of Three Bridges.

Last edited:

WizCastro197

Established Member

Which has now been cut short at Gatwick, instead of Three Bridges.
Strange day, southern services seem to coping alright from Victoria

Bikeman78

Established Member
So Cambridge to Brighton looks set to be pulled completely, even worse so does the Cambridge to King’s Cross stopping service, with Horsham to Peterborough making additional stops. Could they really not do any better than this?
This went about as well as expected and seemingly not down to the failure of the third rail system. The first few Southern trains up from Horsham were 10 - 15 minutes late. The first Thameslink was 58 minutes late and the next two were cancelled. In fact, the first successful journey was the 08:24 from Horsham. The 06:54 departed on time but then stood at Three Bridges for 15 minutes.

philjo

Established Member
Overhead wire problems so all lines are currently blocked between Hitchin and Royston. Northbound Peterborough trains are not able to call at Hitchin.

Status
Not open for further replies.