• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What a week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
It’s been a very long time since I wrote anything on here, but it’s quite a week on the rails so I’m reappearing briefly.

It’s a massive week at work this week, with a new depot opening at Bridgwater. As usual I planned to put in an appearance at the new depot during the first week, and had made all the transport arrangements a while ago, to visit the site on Tuesday. What I hadn’t bargained for was a meeting in Carlisle, hastily arranged for the Monday. Ideally I wouldn’t arrange meetings so far apart on consecutive days, but rather than rearrange (a problem with AP tickets), this presented an interesting challenge. My first booked move en route to Bridgwater was the 17:45 EC from Leeds to the Cross. Therefore it made most sense to me to travel south from Carlisle via the S&C rather than can the EC advance (only £13), and try to get something off Virgin at short notice. The more so since the day’s journey was to begin at home in Shipley, so a day return from Leeds to Carlisle made financial as well as logistical sense.

So it was that on Monday morning I boarded the 05:29 Leeds > Carlisle at Saltaire at 05:44. The only virtue of this train from my POV is that it alone of S&C workings calls at Saltaire, marginally increasing my sleeping time and reducing my walk to the station. Otherwise catching a train at 05:44 is as rubbish as it sounds. A tatty Northern 158 (what other sort is there?) was my home for the next 2½ hours, almost all of which was spent fast asleep. Waking up at Armathwaite I saw a healthy load of commuters on board; the train having been almost empty leaving Skipton, which was the last point I’d been awake.

My return train of choice, 15:05 semi-fast from Carlisle, only gives a plus 5 into the 17:45 EC, so it was right out, even though it is given 20 minutes in from Shipley. I use the term ‘semi-fast’ loosely, because although 2 hrs 35 is faster than other S&C trains, taking this long to cover 113 miles on a properly engineered main line is little short of scandalous. As it turned out my move was the 14:04, arriving at Leeds at 16:51 for a plus 54 into the 17:45. Totally dud 91128 on the rear, and a small farce at Doncaster, where we sat north of the junction for several minutes watching a procession of EC and GC moves passing on the main line, preceded a 15 minute late arrival at the Cross at 20:15. I got myself Oystered-up for a quick Hammersmith & City Line move over to Paddington, pleasingly formed of C stock rather than the sub-378 discomfort of the S stock that is rapidly overwhelming the H&C.

I have set myself three goals for 2013. (1) to get my highest annual mileage ever, (2) to make at least one move on every TOC, and (3) to make at least one move on each type of timetabled traction. The first two are going very well, but for the third goal class 166s have been eluding me all year, so the sight of 166214 dropping on the 20:57 semi-fast (that phrase again) to Oxford was very welcome. The more so because this train stops at Ealing Broadway making this a very cheap Oyster move. Mickey Mouse mileage I grant you, but my rules simply state at least one move, no matter what length. It was wedgerama by the time it left Paddington, and a lot more people got on at Ealing than bailed, so I was glad to be leaving the train TBH. I lived in Ealing for a year in the mid-90s so it was interesting to take a walk around what is an old stamping ground of mine, and I was surprised how little of it I remembered. I had an evening meal in a Thai noodle bar, which was seriously delicious, before heading back to Broadway for the 22:14 Heathrow Connect service to Paddington, only to find that it is Fridays Only. Just as well I’ve scratched a 360 already this year then. A brace of 2-car 165s rolled in on the 22:21 FGW service, which had somewhat incredibly set off from Banbury 140 minutes earlier at 20:01.

The sleeper wasn’t ready for boarding, so time for a load of tea, crisps, wine and fruit for gratis in the First Class Lounge. Ultra-dud 57603 on the front end. Where the blazes is 602? Certainly never at the head of any train I’m ever on. I went straight off to sleep and woke up as the train arrived at Plymouth. At six there was a knock at the door and a hand appeared holding a tray of tea and Alpen (no bacon rolls because the buffet staff were no show at Paddington. Grrrr), and a bit later we pulled into Lostwithiel two down at 06:30, where I bailed. Shack scratch for me at this lovely little GWR backwater, and I had 20 minutes for a quick early morning stroll around the little town before boarding the 06:51 Paddington HST (05:41 off the Zance). I rode this as far as Taunton, annoyingly falling asleep for most of the journey. I did wake up for the sea wall at Teignmouth and Dawlish, but was too lazy to get up and go to the vestibule, which was a bit of a waste really. By Taunton the train, which had been nearly empty at Lostwithiel was pretty wedged, so I was once again happy to be leaving. Over to platform 3 for the 09:37 class 150 to Bridgwater for shack scratch and a half hour walk to the new depot site.

Later on it was time to head back to the station for the 16:19 Cardiff working as far as Temple Meads. I was travelling with a normal colleague, so crank chat had to be limited. Nonetheless I had seen on the indicator that the train was formed of three cars, so when I saw a 150/1 leading I told her to move down the platform because the accomodation would be more comfortable (in the 153). I could tell she was impressed by this display of useful knowledge ;) At Temple Meads we crossed over to number 3 for the 17:30 HST to Leeds. My colleague had been complaining about the cramped conditions and hard seats on the train she had ridden south on on Sunday evening, so the fact that this Cross Country train wasn’t horrible was a pleasant surprise. That’s right Voyager apologists, a normal who would rather a tram than a Voyager. Not the ridiculous straw man that stalks your fevered imaginings, invented by backward looking enthusiasts devoid of the idea that any new train must *by definition* be progress, but a REAL PASSENGER, unacquainted with Forum arguments around the merits of underfloor engines vs power cars, stinking toilets vs useable ones, quality of ride on mk 3s vs Voyagers etc ;)

The journey passed off pleasantly enough and we hit Leeds 2 early at 21:02. By this time I was totally shattered so I was pleased to see that the 21:26 to Skipton was already in platform 6 so I could board and vegetate until Saltaire.

A normal day at work on Wednesday (drove in rather than used the train so that I could have a kip in the car at lunchtime: these rail marathons are pretty exhausting!), so the next installment is to follow.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
A very enjoyable read - the ultimate antidote to the hot, crouded, wheel flat ridden and 13:38 Wiggan>Edinburgh, which to make things just that bit more enjoyable is 13 late! if that milage is what youve achieved since Mon, Im awating the back end of the week with great anticipation!

4SRKT

Established Member
A very enjoyable read - the ultimate antidote to the hot, crouded, wheel flat ridden and 13:38 Wiggan>Edinburgh, which to make things just that bit more enjoyable is 13 late! if that milage is what youve achieved since Mon, Im awating the back end of the week with great anticipation!

Wigan > Edinburgh? A Voyager I presume :(

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Wigan > Edinburgh? A Voyager I presume :(

Correct, and perhaps more importantly a voyager full of people aged between about 1 and 90 who are all moaning at once about the hot airless conditions, seats (both the cumfort of and lack of), the the cramped conditions, the fact that only 2 toilets out of 4 work and that the vestibule class pax are nearly puking with the smell. Bring on the MK2s!↲

4SRKT

Established Member
Correct, and perhaps more importantly a voyager full of people aged between about 1 and 90 who are all moaning at once about the hot airless conditions, seats (both the cumfort of and lack of), the the cramped conditions, the fact that only 2 toilets out of 4 work and that the vestibule class pax are nearly puking with the smell. Bring on the MK2s!↲

Bring on the 9-car Pendolinos that I thought were supposed to be deployed on some Birmingham > Scotland services now the 11-car units are in. Much as I'm not a Pendo fan, the 4 extra carriages and quiet, smooth ride is a huge improvement over a Vomiter. I'd rather do NW England > Scotland in a 185 TBH.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Bring on the 9-car Pendolinos that I thought were supposed to be deployed on some Birmingham > Scotland services now the 11-car units are in. Much as I'm not a Pendo fan, the 4 extra carriages and quiet, smooth ride is a huge improvement over a Vomiter. I'd rather do NW England > Scotland in a 185 TBH.

well you couldnt today, the TPE In front of this has been cansled, making things here that little bit more interesting.↲ FYI though, the6:19 BHM>EDB, the 09:01 at CAR and the 10:51 EDB>EUS Via BHM are booked an 11 Car set and Its amazing - all that space! Come December though we will see many more Pendo Worked runs on Scotland Birmingham with most going on to EUS which given the very regular fowlups on EC is kind a handy if not in a rush. Split at PRE and BHM and you can get some decent advances on them too!↲

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
still late between Penrith and Carlisle and the chap opposite me who turns out to be an X BR Driver has just stated thn the TM That if this is what progress looks and smells like He's glad to have retired! q, a lot of agreement from the normals in the next few rows!↲↲

not wanting to highjack your thread with a voyagers v any other type of traction debate but we would appear to be having a similar experience i.e normals moaning about the shiny new trains designed to make the journey better, or so they tell us and wishing they were still on MK2S or even pendos!↲

4SRKT

Established Member
Yes, let's not get 'bogged' down (see what I did there??) in the usual 'are Voyagers any good?' debate.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Yes, let's not get 'bogged' down (see what I did there??) in the usual 'are Voyagers any good?' debate.

haha, very good! Thinking about it, I only have ATW, FGW, SET, SWT and southern to do before iv been on every TOC too, Baring Heathrow Express!↲↲ its been a long year, mainly for family reasons. Does your policy of every type of booked taction stretch to the joys of 378s and 2009 tube stock?↲

4SRKT

Established Member
haha, very good! Thinking about it, I only have ATW, FGW, SET, SWT and southern to do before iv been on every TOC too, Baring Heathrow Express!↲↲ its been a long year, mainly for family reasons. Does your policy of every type of booked taction stretch to the joys of 378s and 2009 tube stock?↲

Not any sort of tube stock, although I've got them anyway as it happens. I've done three 378s so far :( The only outstanding classes are 318, 320, 334 and 380, but one quick Daytripper will sort that. Most difficult was class 121 following the demise of the bubble on the Cardiff Bay shuttle. Gatwick Express/442 was potentially a pain up the arse too, but request from a colleague for a lift to Gatwick rather than Three Bridges after a meeting at our Crawley site sorted that one! :)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Not any sort of tube stock, although I've got them anyway as it happens. I've done three 378s so far :( The only outstanding classes are 318, 320, 334 and 380, but one quick Daytripper will sort that. Most difficult was class 121 following the demise of the bubble on the Cardiff Bay shuttle. Gatwick Express/442 was potentially a pain up the arse too, but request from a colleague for a lift to Gatwick rather than Three Bridges after a meeting at our Crawley site sorted that one! :)

Youve just ruined my october/november bash! I had no idea that the ATW Bubble had, Urm, Burst!

Was planning to do the WAG which I have not done post MK3 introduction as well as the bubble and a few valley lines 143s before going back on the WAG In First this time for some nice grub. 442s problematic here too and since the Scotland-Gatwick flights went up majorly in price its unlikely il be heading that way. Traction wise I need loads to the point of being unachievable if im going to achieve the all booked traction thing but only need a 314 and a Scotrail Fife Circle MK2 to have cleaned up north of the border. Also managed to complete all types of sprinter thanks to a cupple of 155s the other week.

Your daytripper sounds as I said last week rather fun and will be good for you to tick off that remaining bit of track! ↲

4SRKT

Established Member
Youve just ruined my october/november bash! I had no idea that the ATW Bubble had, Urm, Burst!

Was planning to do the WAG which I have not done post MK3 introduction as well as the bubble and a few valley lines 143s before going back on the WAG In First this time for some nice grub. 442s problematic here too and since the Scotland-Gatwick flights went up majorly in price its unlikely il be heading that way. Traction wise I need loads to the point of being unachievable if im going to achieve the all booked traction thing but only need a 314 and a Scotrail Fife Circle MK2 to have cleaned up north of the border. Also managed to complete all types of sprinter thanks to a cupple of 155s the other week.

Your daytripper sounds as I said last week rather fun and will be good for you to tick off that remaining bit of track! ↲

The ATW bubble is long gone I'm afraid. When I went to try and scratch class 121 for 2013 back in February it was a 153 on the branch. I had to go to the enormous expense of getting the Chiltern move from Aylesbury to Princes Risborough. That is much more enjoyable though cos you get a decent length run.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The ATW bubble is long gone I'm afraid. When I went to try and scratch class 121 for 2013 back in February it was a 153 on the branch. I had to go to the enormous expense of getting the Chiltern move from Aylesbury to Princes Risborough. That is much more enjoyable though cos you get a decent length run.

and if your clever some nice skip hauled MK3s to/from. Awating the rest of your adventures last week!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like a beast of a week so far, not at all envious...If it helps, it took me a long time to get my last GW 57, 603. Had 602 way back in June 2004!

D6975

Established Member
57602 is I believe on restricted duties at the moment - ECS only.
I think it's awating a major overhaul.

Status
Not open for further replies.